New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Question Hellen Half-Dragon Giant Squid

A while back I played Anthro Giant Squid, Herozy, he managed to subdue a red dragon and produce and egg with her. With that campaign over and done with I've retired Herozy to being the local hero/menace of a port town and has had some time to raise his half-dragon child to the age she's ready to start her adventuring life.

Here's the problem I've got no idea what to do with her, she's got an ECL of 7 with a whopping +4 LA.
    For her positives she's got: +16 Str, +0 Con, +8 Dex, +2 Int, +4 Wis, -2 Cha, 60 ft darkvision and lowlight, large size, fly speed 60 ft average, +10 NA, fire immunity, immunity to sleep and paralysis, 2 claws at 1d6 and a bite at 1d8, and maybe another bite at 2d6 (one from half dragon and one from giant squid adjusted for size change), a 1/day 30ft cone breath wep, a racial +4 on grapple, Jet, +8 swim and the ability to always take 10s, water breathing, 3d10 HD, +6 int skills full Bab for those 3 HD, all good saves for the HD as well as simple and martial weapon prof, and the 2 feats that come with the HD.

Her dad used an 8 handed shark tooth staff as his primary weapon with an 8 handed glave, 4 handed Morningstar, and long bow (all large naturally) as back ups. (note the rule for multi-handed weapons is in Savage Species) So those were naturally my starting thoughts... but like I said I've no idea where to go from here her saves are all going to be bad for her ECL and while her high Str helps her BaB is going to hurt and perhaps worst of all her HP is going to be trash even at d10...

Any advice would help, even if I don't bring her to the table I'm rather married to the idea of statting her out if only for an NPC I might use.
    Last edited by Zakerst; 2015-05-16 at 04:49 PM. Reason: fixing some missed info

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hellen Half-Dragon Giant Squid

Use the online half-dragon progression? It'd allow you to cut down on the LA a bit. Explain it as the unique combination of genes/magicks causing the offspring to not manifest all dragon traits.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll take a look at do you have a link handy or should google fu still turn it up after the wizards purge of 3.5?
    Also any other ideas on how to utilize her limited skill set, all I'm coming up with is EWP sharktooth staff and treat her like a special case ambush rogue (without the skills) locking anyone she doesn't one shot into a grapple.
    That said I'm still really drawing a blank on her durability and general utility...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You've got a weird mix-and-match character with fire immunity and a whopping LA that severely reduces his hit points... I'd at least consider Troll Blooded as an option. After that, you can really do anything that is at least mildly melee-focused: a Troll Blooded character with high AC, a couple of useful immunities and various movement modes should be quite durable. Barbarian? You have a lot of Str and arms. Dragon HDs have full BAB on top of that: you'll smash things. Clericzilla/Bone Knight? That Cha hit hurts a bit, as does the loss of CL, but see above and add a full plate, a couple of (low level) persistent buffs, even more immunities (including fatigue) and a small undead army. Something with Sneak Attack? You have eight arms, as well as three natural attacks, which translates into so many SA dice. Totemist? Get even more natural attacks, become an eldritch horror.
    Seriously, you have a lot of possibilities.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Isn't troll blooded only for humans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Isn't troll blooded only for humans?
    It's a regional feat, so you can take it with 2 Knowledge ranks (that area) if you don't meet the regional requisite.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Your low-light vision doesn't have a 60' range.

I second the suggestion of totemist, and maybe you can add some clawlock in there, with, perhaps, willing deformity to get that 5' extra reach. Creepy tentacled mass, go!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    Your low-light vision doesn't have a 60' range.

I second the suggestion of totemist, and maybe you can add some clawlock in there, with, perhaps, willing deformity to get that 5' extra reach. Creepy tentacled mass, go!
    So it doesn't I'll edit that in a second, good catch.
    I don't have access to any dragon mag except dragon compendium, so no go on the clawlock, or troll blooded, I'll take a closer look at totemist too.

I can see sneak attack helping a fair bit especially if I could fit craven in, though I'm quite sure how'd I'd fit it into her story, not to mention the +4 LA still hurting there, I may have to do some math to see how it works out compared to the 4.5 X str of an 8 handed wep.

Cleric into Bone Knight might be fun if I could get it to fly in the setting (prolly not to hard). (only getting access to 8ths at 20 kinda hurts but there's not much that could be done about that, not to mention having spells is pretty much always preferable to not)

Also out of curiosity what do you all think of Psychic Warrior in this case?

Another thought I just had, thinking about clawlock and sneak attack is I could take a couple levels of warlock for effective HiPS, though with the lack of skill points it might not be worth it.
    Last edited by Zakerst; 2015-05-16 at 04:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, this is a nice psychic warrior build. You won't hit 6th-level powers with the LA and RHD you got now, but the build still works otherwise. It would be quite effective, and of course, psionics and squids go well together.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2015-05-16 at 04:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm still trying to picture what a half-dragon giant squid would look like.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ettina View Post
    I'm still trying to picture what a half-dragon giant squid would look like.
    Half-dragon anthropromorphic giant squid.

Spoiler
    Show

Doing an image search for Cthulhu is probably your best bet.

Deviantart here.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2015-05-16 at 07:24 PM.