New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The Creator of Spheres of Power Here: Ask Me Anything

Adam Meyers, creator of Spheres of Power here. I apologize it took me so long to check out the GitP forums; it's been awesome to see all the people who've been enjoying the system!

I just posted a contest for SoP worldbuilding, but I also wanted to create a thread just for people who have questions, either about the system or about me or about anything at all. I can't guarantee I'll be here everyday, but I'll do my best to check this thread as often as possible and answer anything people want to know.
    Last edited by Adam Meyers; 2015-05-15 at 01:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Creator of Spheres of Power Here: Ask Me Anything

Will we be seeing supplemental releases for stuff like extra spheres, extra talents, extra supporting feats?

(Will we ever see a feat that reduces ritual casting time?)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I would just like to say thank you for releasing such a wonderful product, I find it much more interesting than the old magic system prevalent throughout most rpg's.

I'm am curious however, if you are going to go back and address certain aspects that are still a bit weak in comparison to other spheres? Notably Creation and Illusion, having to spend a spell point AND concentrate is just too large of an investment, especially when looking at the Alteration and Destruction spheres.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Big thanks for your product, I find it to be a really cool alternative to traditional casting methods.

Similar question as others people, any plans to change/buff some of the weaker spheres? I don't think it's actually a problem that some spheres a stronger than others (perfect balance usually means sacrificing interesting fluff/crunch) but I'm still curious if you have plans for new talents or anything to give a boost to some spheres.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Will there be an unearthed arcana or unchained like book of alternate rules? And interactions with other systems like psionics?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

@AGrinningCat: Yes to both questions; we're currently working on a PDF of everything that couldn't fit in the book, including more class conversions, archetypes, favored class bonuses, etc. More support for ritual casters also sounds awesome, and will definitely be included.

@CashanDraven: I have seen Illusion and Creation casters do things that would destroy a game if they could do it at-will, hence the decision to require at least 1 spell point per use.

@Chronikoce: We will be expanding things, yeah; we've got a bunch of stuff in the works, but beyond the player's options mentioned in my answer to AGrinningCat, I'm hoping to do a supplemental PDF soon that's just additional talents.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

@spikeof2010: You mean beyond simply doing magic? We've actually got two books in the works doing the same thing to combat and skills that we did to magic, but those are a ways off what with Skybourne and Wizard's Academy being our primary focuses at the moment. We haven't set up any integration with other publisher's work, but I have heard of quite a few people that have mixed psionics and spheres together just to have a ludicrous amount of non-vancian options at their table.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Do you have any plans to show off more of the material and concepts here to let people playtest and theorycraft what kind of shenanigans they can make? Similar to the way dreamscarred press does it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Have you considered working with other 3PP on joint items? In particular, I'd like to see a Sphere/Initiator mix gish class (or maybe just a mageknight Archetype), as well as something mixing Spheres with Pact Magic (Radiance House)

Why are some classes open to the choice of casting modifier and others are not? The big one where this came up in my group was Armorist, which is locked to Wisdom. Since the player in question was building a mad scientist who stored various inventions in his hammerspace, I let him swap it to Int, but it struck me as odd.

This has actually come up a few times, so I'll ask your opinion: How do you envision Caster Level and Talents working in a Gestalt environment?

I'll probably be back. Work summons me, but I will leave with this: My players LOVE spheres casting. Of the 5 of them, only 2 have played PF before, only one of those had real experience, and one had only played 4e. One they had copies of the PDF, they were able to figure it out pretty quickly.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Will there ever be some sort of SoP Mythic Companion, which would add options so SoP can be used in a Mythic game?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you have a rough ETA on the full completion of the first SoP book? Most sites have serious issues handing out updates, so I'm waiting for the book to actually finish before picking up a copy. I think there are 3-4 others here who feel the same way, not to mention RL buddies of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Out of curiosity, how did you intend spherecasting to interact with prestige class prerequisites? My groups have been requiring a CL equal to what you'd need to cast nth-level spells normally, but I was wondering if you have any specific RAI in mind (since there isn't anything I saw in the book about it)?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Actually a little unrelated to Spheres, but regarding Skybourne, how long have you been working on that setting? I've been working on my own setting on and off for a few years now, mostly for private games, but I have had fantasies of someday publishing it and am wondering how Skybourne evolved into something you feel confident enough to eventually publish to the public?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    @CashanDraven: I have seen Illusion and Creation casters do things that would destroy a game if they could do it at-will, hence the decision to require at least 1 spell point per use..
    I'm not sure how they translate into being more powerful than some of the other spheres mentioned above. I think it would be easy enough to split them into major and minor categories, somewhat like you did with the mind sphere. You have very minor and basic abilities that just require concentration, such as crude tools or weapons for creation, or mirage like illusions that impose a penalty, rather than be an outright fabrication.

This would allow people a bit more versatility, without having to dump most of their magical resources into those sphere's exclusively. Again, Alteration and Destruction are the prime examples, strong up front abilities, that, aside from being a Shifter, you must spend a spell point to keep them going for any real length of time.

Another thing I found while looking over the book last night, the extra-dimensional storage space could use a bit of a buff, as it stands you can barely hold much of anything. It's a good baseline, but having an extra feat or talent that increases the size would be nice. Maybe able to get up to stage I bag of holding, or even a haversack?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

I have a very basic question: I have seen this system mentioned a handful of times here, but never really seen even a summary of what it is. Can you give your elevator pitch of it?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Search spheres of power on YouTube. They made a good summary video for the kickstarter. I'd link you, but I'm on my phone at work.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

@MyrPsychologist: Now that I've seen the community here, I think that sounds like a great idea.

@Keledrath: While that sounds awesome, there's a lot of logistics to go through when mixing publishing houses like that, so I can't say if that will ever happen.

As for casting stats, we wanted to give people the freedom to pick their own stats, while not bogging down people who didn't care for extreme customization with too many choices (hence, why some classes can pick and some classes can't.) I see no problem in letting people change it up, though, and a mad scientist sounds fun.

Gestalt characters: I haven't run a gestalt game with SoP, but I'd assume that Caster Level, like BAB, would advanced with the highest included class. I'd let them take talents for both classes though, just as a cleric/wizard gestalt would get two sets of spells.

@Ninjaxenomorph: It's in the works.

@PsyBomb: The printer assures me we'll have the books a couple weeks before Gen Con.

@Forrestfire: We didn't delve into Prestige class adaptations because some of them are very specific to spellcasting, and others work with just a simple conversion without the need for much adaptation. The way you're doing it sounds great.

@Crake: That's actually a complicated question. Skybourne's been kicking around in my head for about 5 years now, but that time's also been spent with two other worlds: a multiverse-level post-apocalyptic, and a world built around mythic adventures. There's an old writer's tip that the best work comes from combining multiple ideas rather than focusing on just one (Jim Butcher's Codex Alera, just as an example, apparently grew from a dare to write a book that mixed pokemon with the lost Roman legion), and Skybourne as it's currently iterated is built from a combination of aspects of all three worlds. So while the setting and its component parts have been in development for years, I specifically wanted to start the kickstarter before the world got too set in stone, as I still wanted the room to play with ideas, mix and match concepts, and get feedback from the kickstarter backers on what ideas they liked best.

@CashanDraven: I don't think it would be a problem to include talents for minor creation or advanced extradimentional spaces, and those ideas will probably appear in future supplements for the system.

A lot of the reasoning behind those decisions comes down to that we wanted those abilities where power is limited only by player imagination to remain fueled by player imagination, but to provide a cap so that imaginative players couldn't just destroy the work of a novice GM day in and day out.

@Segev: Spheres of Power is a concept-based magic system, where rather than fitting your ideas to the magic, you can fit the magic to your ideas. 20 spheres act like magical feat trees letting you build magic, casters, and worlds as you want whether it's Jedi, mystborn, air benders, or anything in-between.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Now, here's the thornier issue that came up with regards to gestalt caster level: interaction with no sphere casters.

This was actually the mad scientist again. The only standard casters I allowed were alchemist/investigator. He is alchemist//armorist. Now, under a real spheres conversion, he would only be a mid caster. However, that isn't the case. Would you judge it fair to let him act as a full caster?

As a note, I went with yes, but that's mostly because I run games at a very high power floor (I consider it a personal failure if a player feels useless).

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If a fey adept is using create reality to make a conjuration sphere companion, are you locked into the same companion every time you do it as you would be with the conjuration sphere properly, or can each illusion be created on a case by case basis?

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Do you have a rough ETA on the full completion of the first SoP book? Most sites have serious issues handing out updates, so I'm waiting for the book to actually finish before picking up a copy. I think there are 3-4 others here who feel the same way, not to mention RL buddies of mine.
    If you are referring to the PDF, then it is already finished and available on various sites. Regarding updates, DriveThru works for me nicely. I always had the current version when DDS announced an update.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Kelerath: I guess so. Either that or just possess both magic systems Bokor-style.

@Stack: The Fey Adept could choose a different companion each time.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit off topic from SoP, but still topical to Pathfinder ATM: Before Spheres of Power, you did Rogue Glory, which aimed to fix the problems with Rogue at the time. As such, what's your opinion on the new Rogue updates in Pathfinder Unchained? Is there anything done with one that you think could have been done better with the other?

Is there anything in general you wish you had done bettertm in that book?
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2015-05-17 at 12:18 PM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

When will the print version be released? I really want the book but it's hard for me to use PDFs at my gaming table. I can't find a release date anywhere for the print version.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's a few from my own gaming group. I'm serving as the mouthpiece for six people, so there's a lot of questions here.

1)Why does the Armorist not get Heavy Armor proficiency without spending a feat or equipment trick? They do feel like they'd be the one to get it. (Also:Why is the Armorist's casting stat Wisdom?)

2)Why is Destruction's basic attack bludgeoning damage, and how do you see that working from a bluff perspective?

3)How does Magical Knack (The +2 to CL so long as it doesn't go above your character level trait) interact with Spherecasting?

4)Elementalists seem a bit...odd. The main gist of the question is, I suppose, why do Elementalists get all good saves? Bonus combat feats also seem a little out of left field, though not as much so.

5)(Rephrasing from 'Why does the Weather Sphere suck?') What uses have you seen the Weather Sphere serve for a player?

6)Why do you make it so that several talents have absolutely horrid scaling-I'm specifically thinking of Fate's base ability, and several from the War Totem, that only grant a +1 bonus per 10 levels. Did AC serve to be that powerful a defense in your playtest?

7)Why do Incanter Sphere Specializations take more feats than Sorcerer Bloodlines, when the Bloodlines tend to be stronger and more useful? +1 Caster Level is nice, but most of the Specializations tend to be more than a little weak.

8)What was your inspiration for this style of casting, and how did you settle on the 20 Spheres chosen?

9)Are Metamagic Rods intended to work with Spherecasting, and if so, how?

10)I'm intending to make a message board with a world setting that only includes Spherecasting in it. Is it permissable to include the rules for Spherecasting on the site itself? Or should I wait until pages are submitted to the PFSRD? (Secondary addition:Do you want any help with that?)

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Der_DWSage View Post
    3)How does Magical Knack (The +2 to CL so long as it doesn't go above your character level trait) interact with Spherecasting
    I once asked this very question. The answer: "Magical knack is not appropriate for the SoP system."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Ilorin Lorati: I haven't tried the Unchained Rogue at a table yet, but I like the look of it, particularly the skill rank unlocks. I'm not sure I like debilitating injury, not because I don't think it would be a lot of fun to use at the table, but because I've never liked locking rogues (being one of the most versatile classes) into one box, even if that box is a fun one like tactical debilitater. This is, incidentally, why I've come to not quite like the Glory Rogue's ambush ability; it's awesome when you want it, but does lock the rogue into the 'ambusher' box. Honestly, I'd love to run an unchained rogue who gets a guile pool at 4th level in place of debilitating injury, just to make a sort of ultimate versatile skill-master hybrid between the two.

As for Rogue Glory, it was my first book so there's no way I can look at it objectively, but in hindsight I think the mechanics stand up fairly well, although I wish I'd had more experience with the rest of design when I'd done it. I recently looked through it again and noticed I didn't even alphabetize the feats.

@Endless Rain: According to the printer, the physical books will arrive shortly before Gen Con. We didn't plan on having a booth at Gen Con, but we will be bringing copies to Gen Con to give to any kickstarter backers present, and will be shipping the rest to backers and storefronts as soon as we get back.

@Der_DWSage:

1) The fighter's schtick has always been its front-loaded proficiencies; it gives you heavy armor proficiency and tower shields, both of which are rare to get any other way except through feats. Since the armorist gains magic and a powerful class feature at 1st level over what a fighter gets, we thought losing heavy armor and tower shields was a fair trade-off. We gave her Wisdom as a casting stat because the concept of the class was someone who unlocked the potential of equipment through mediation; they aren't a wizard who limits themselves to equipment, but a warrior who unlocked the mystic capabilities of the tools of war, if that makes sense.

2) Originally it was force damage, but we decided bludgeoning was a better way to represent 'a blast of pure magic power' without it automatically bypassing all forms of resistance. I'm not sure what you mean by a bluff perspective, though.

3) Personally, I don't allow Magical Knack at my table when using Spherecasting.

4) The concept behind the Elementalists was actually that of a magical monk: combatants who use magic instead of ki to enhance their combat capabilities. Think Avatar: The Last Airbender, if that helps.

5) In my experience, weather is one of the most powerful spheres in the game, and has been significantly nerfed from its initial presentation. Things a player can do with weather off the top of my head: providing fog cover for the party and their personal army, nullifying most environmental hazards, use lightning or frost to slowly kill of a city or the insides of a building while hiding nearby or barricading the door, changing an environment in your favor before a massive fight, nullifying ranged enemies and blowing all but the largest opponents away, etc.

6) War and Fate can affect any number of people, making them ideal for large player groups and games that include followers. Fate also has abilities that grant multiple benefits at once. In both cases, balance demanded they scale more slowly than other abilities, otherwise they could turn into a win-button in certain situations.

7) Designer math is a finicky thing, but with bloodlines you trade 5 feats for 5 abilities (1st, 3rd, 9th, 15th, and 20th level sorcerer abilities). However, with the sphere specialization you gain 1 bonus sphere, +1 caster level with that sphere, and 3 abilities, one of which scales powerfully and becomes a capstone ability at 20th level. Mathmatically this makes a specialization equal to a sorcerer bloodline (5 abilities to 5 abilities), but in the case of the specialization one of those abilities scales dramatically (making it the equivalent of 2 abilites) and becomes a capstone ability at level 20 (making it the equivalent of 3 abilities), and +1 caster level to a sphere can easily be considered the equivalent of two abilities given its vast array of applications. With the above considerations, the specialization becomes superior to the bloodline in most cases, and we felt it was worth the additional cost.

8) The story of SoP's creation is a long one, but the short version is a friend suggested we do a line of classes that used spell-like abilities instead of spells, which led to a discussion of talent-based magic, which led to the investigation of a universal talent system. The book was originally intended to be much smaller (3-5 classes, I think 10 spheres) but when the kickstarter showed us just how much interest there was in the idea, we decided to significantly increase the scope of the book. The 20 spheres chosen came from brainstorming sessions and dissecting the Pathfinder spell lists and several online databases of super hero powers to try and discover how we could encompass as many types of powers as we could. There can and probably will be more spheres released in the future covering more specific expressions of magic (I've heard of at least one table that combined and re-purposed conjuration and I think enhancement to create a 'mechamagic' sphere), but we wanted to start with as many broad categories as we could to cover as many potential character-types as we could right out of the gate.

9) The general rule in SoP is, when mixing the two systems, divide caster level by 2 to find a sphere effect's equivalent spell level. This can be done to allow metamagic rods to function with Spherecasting.

10) We're waiting on D20pfsrd.com to upload the spheres and if you wanted to help expedite that process you would need to talk to them about it, but I certainly welcome any help making that happen. I love seeing people use SoP to make awesome things and so long as you keep your postings of the rules to things covered by the OGL it shouldn't be a problem, but if you're planning to post up most of the book, I'd ask you to contact the pfsrd about doing it there, just as a courtesy to everyone else who's in a similar boat and wants to have the rules online.
    Last edited by Adam Meyers; 2015-05-18 at 03:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

@Adam Meyers

You should probably contact the pfsrd and give them explicit permission to work on it. Last I heard, John didn't want to until the full release and he may not be aware.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

28. - Top - End - #28

Does the Destruction Talent: Nether Blast, heal undead, it being negative energy? I understand that Nether Blast specifically states that it doesnt damage undead, but it doesnt state that it doesnt heal it either. If it heals undead, I would recommend having it cost an additional spell point to hinder abuse.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Mehangel: It does not heal undead, no.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    @Mehangel: It does not heal undead, no.
    Does Life heal undead then?