New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Creator of Spheres of Power Here: Ask Me Anything

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsides View Post
    Does anyone have a good workaround for combining the Bladebound archetype with the Sphere Magus? The Bladebound archetype changes the arcane pool but the Sphere Magus replaces it with the spell pool.
    I would probably just houserule that instead of the Black Blade having its own arcana pool, it utilizes your Spell point pool, which would be Magus Level + INT modifier. Magus uses its spell point pool in place of arcana pool. It isnt a perfect fix, but it is probably one of the easiest that I can think of.

2. - Top - End - #272

Does anyone have a good workaround for combining the Bladebound archetype with the Sphere Magus? The Bladebound archetype changes the arcane pool but the Sphere Magus replaces it with the spell pool.
    I'd say just ignore the changed arcane pool. Your spell pool is already on double duty and magic competes with the blade powers anyway.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Would it be appropriate to allow Expanded Necromancy to allow you to animate creatures as Frostfallen and Void Zombies as well as the listed options? Generally a ruling that you can make anything you could create with animate dead would be nice.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Greater Undeath Allows animation of Anything. And the Pathfinder OCG has a list how to animate most kinds of dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Could reduce the amount of SP you get from the spell recall replacement, but I would probably houserule EldritchWeaver's way.

6. - Top - End - #276

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Meyers View Post
    Adam Meyers, creator of Spheres of Power here. I apologize it took me so long to check out the GitP forums; it's been awesome to see all the people who've been enjoying the system!

I just posted a contest for SoP worldbuilding, but I also wanted to create a thread just for people who have questions, either about the system or about me or about anything at all. I can't guarantee I'll be here everyday, but I'll do my best to check this thread as often as possible and answer anything people want to know.
    Is your ruleset available for perusal on the pathfinder srd site? I don't know if someone has asked this yet, but it's the question most relevant to me.

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Sagetim View Post
    Is your ruleset available for perusal on the pathfinder srd site? I don't know if someone has asked this yet, but it's the question most relevant to me.
    At this point of time, it isn't. I know that the rules have been submitted but so far no other info on the current state.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Greater Undeath Allows animation of Anything. And the Pathfinder OCG has a list how to animate most kinds of dead.
    That doesn't really help you animate useful undead servitors of the sort I mentioned.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Just houserule it or something. Maybe take a selection and make em talents.

Remember, Void Zombies are caused by Akata bites. This is a fluff thing.

Edit:

Also my idea then for my Ooze Form would be replacing the AC Bonus with Temporary HP. Otherwise the form is too fragile to utilize. I was thinking 10 +4 per caster level.
    A little condescending

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Wondered about effects moving with vehicles and such, like a wall of energy on a ship or blinking someone out of time. Since walls can be made in reference to local geometry, I would guess they can be stationary, but it seems like removing someone from reality for a moment should let you shunt them off a fast moving airship, but I don't know the intent.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Enhancement: animate object + mass enhancement
    Animate object gives a size max. No limitation is stated for adding sizes together when enhancing multiples (like telekinesis letting you lift multiple objects, but the total size can't exceed your max). Can I animate 5 wagons at CL 11 with one casting?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Why no Spheres Alchemist? Apologies if that's been asked already.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I think it's because the Alchemist can't not prepare their stuff in advance. Prepared casting (brewing up extracts and mutagens, etc) is an integral part of what makes an Alchemist feel like an Alchemist, and prepared casting also has no place in Spheres of Power.

Personally, I think having standard vancian-style alchemy in an otherwise SoP game would be really cool, because it gives alchemists a vastly different magic system from other characters, in keeping with their vastly different methods of performing that magic.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    I think that Alchemist wasn't converted because of the following:

o Bombs would lose alot of their purpose if all the alchemist needed to do was take the destruction sphere.
    o Vancian casting actually makes alot more sense for an alchemist who has 'limited number of vials that he carries on his person'.

On the other hand, we houserule that alchemists who want sphere-casting can get it, but it REQUIRES (is NOT optional) a specific casting tradition ((combination of Skilled Casting (Craft Alchemy), Focus Casting (Alchemist Lab), + Sphere Specific drawbacks that limit the spells cast to only affect themselves, etc.)).

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    I think that Alchemist wasn't converted because of the following:

o Bombs would lose alot of their purpose if all the alchemist needed to do was take the destruction sphere.
    o Vancian casting actually makes alot more sense for an alchemist who has 'limited number of vials that he carries on his person'.

On the other hand, we houserule that alchemists who want sphere-casting can get it, but it REQUIRES (is NOT optional) a specific casting tradition ((combination of Skilled Casting (Craft Alchemy), Focus Casting (Alchemist Lab), + Sphere Specific drawbacks that limit the spells cast to only affect themselves, etc.)).
    Hm, I'd skip the last part (having Infusion as a mandatory discovery always bothered me) but the rest is not bad.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Mathias1313:

Alteration: There's a talent that increases the limit to 6, there are staves that increase it to 7, and there has to be a limit eventually to how large a boost you can give your ally. The shifter does what you are asking as far as having an easier time altering themselves.

Conjuration: The ability says the HD limit is equal to your caster level.

Creation: We specifically left it open so the GM could use whatever character-creation system he's been employing for the PCs.

Death: The answer in the forum was incorrect, as I realize now I didn't read it closely enough.

Destruction: We played around with a lot of Full-Attack options with Destruction and couldn't find one we liked that wasn't too needlessly complex nor over/underpowered. Doesn't mean there isn't one, though.

Enhancement: Yeah. There is no permanent enhancement talent because that is item creation itself, which has its own rules. You'll find Enhancement is the prerequisite for most of the standard item creation abilities.

Protection: These talents create anti-magic fields, and so affect all magic (including yours) equally.

Telekinesis: bludgeons do not provoke an attack of opportunity for the same reason a flung spear doesn't. Pure casters are not adept at telekinesis combat, except that they can pick up really, really big things; fling one dragon at another and it doesn't really matter if you miss the second, since you're incapacitating the first. Attacks work off of BAB because otherwise you could create a caster who is a better martial than a martial. This is the same reason a Will save is needed on top of a CMB check; being able to trip an entire group at range or steal their equipment is a REALLY powerful option, and being able to do those things reliably as a martial can require an entire character build. At the same time, you can apply those feats and traits (but not size) to your check, so you can dedicate to the maneuvers as well as be truly devastating.

@Mithril Leaf: I think that should work.

@Morcleon: Stalwart is the name we found in Pathfinder, so we just reused it.

@The Whole Alteration vs Enhancement Debate On our end, we knew Enhancement was coming out a little bit weaker than the other spheres, but we hoped to make up for it with its stackability, and with talents such as lingering enhancement; place a bonus on their weapon one round, place a bonus to their Str the next round, and without a spell point or the Easy Focus boon you're getting to stack bonuses on them. Enhancement also stacks well with other spheres; not only can you stack an enhancement onto a shapechange for, say, ludicrous Strength, but you could also combine lighten and telekinesis to lift giant objects easier, etc.

@Mehangel: That talent is really good. Huh...

@EldritchWeaver: Go ahead if that's what you want to do, we just wanted the mount available at 1st level because that's the crux of the archetype.

Grimoire won, and Worlds of Power is currently for sale.

The ranger and paladin were done the way they were because it's the way the core classes work (as opposed to the bloodrager, who core specifically does not subtract 3 from his level to find his caster level). It's perfectly fine to give them a boost, we just did it the way we did because our job was to balance them via their core counterparts, not fix them.

@Mehangel: You spend the 10 minutes (or standard action via a spell point) divining, but after you're done you have gained the knowledge; there's no need to concentrate and maintain the divination.

@Ironsides: Off the top of my head, I'd change Arcane Potency to 1 spell point per 3 levels rather than 1 per 2 levels, replace 'arcane points' in the blade with 'spell points', and call it good. Mind you, this has not been thoroughly thought through, so I make no promises.

@Mithril Leaf: I'm actually not familiar with void zombies and the like, but I think anything that works with animate dead would work for that talent.

@Sagetim: It isn't up yet, sorry; John has a LOT of things to upload, and we don't have anyone to do it on our end.

@Scowling Dragon: Looking at oozes, they all seem to have really low ACs; perhaps increase DR to 5+caster level/bludgeoning? Either way works, it's just a matter of making them feel oozy.

@stack: I know they had entire pages of how different spells worked in relation to ships when they did Skulls and Shackles, and I believe all spells anchored to a vehicle moved with the vehicle. I'd argue blinking someone out of time would return them to their original position relative to the ship.

@stack: You know, of all the testing we did here, we never had someone try and animate 5 wagons or 8 catapults or anything like that. Huh. Technically that is RAW, yeah. but I'd certainly have a nerf-bat on-hand before allowing someone to try that. If you do try that, could you let me know how it goes; I'll probably have to add that to the errata, but I'd like an example before doing so.

@Rokku: Alchemy is the one thing that doesn't really translate to the Spheres system, but works really, really well in vancian.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the deal with Oozes is that they discourage you attacking them with other methods. They don't have particularly high HP or Defences, but you take damage every time you hit them or the like.
    A little condescending

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

A little black corner of my heart laughs with joy when I find an unintended chance to break something. Too bad siege weapons don't seem to have a good way to fire themselves once animated. Maybe with bestow intelligence?

I suppose the most broken thing I can think of to do would be to walk an Thaumaturge 9 / incanter 1 into a harbor and simultaneously animated 10 colossal sized ships and send them flying off (flight is only one construct point). You could either animate them normally and order them to fly straight up until they hit the max fall damage height, then start attacking each other and let the winner drop to wreck them all or use the advanced talent to permanently animate them all then talk them into liberating themselves and sailing off, cutting you a share of their cargo. Of course, just walking into a single ship and permanently animating it to serve you is awesome on its own anyhow.

For general utility, animating the biggest rocks in range all at one would give a large pile of disposable HP. Too bad there aren't ways to toughen up smaller constructs so you could make a mannequin into a good long term bodyguard or animate a horse statue into a mount permanently, since they will always be stuck with the state of the animated object of their size. I suppose permanent alteration using the size change talent works, if you can get the base object created on way or another.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well thanks for the reply sir. I appreciate it. Still have a couple of concerns

Creation - Fleshcraft - I dont like this at all. So if i am doing point buy I can dump mental and put it all in Physical, that I kinda get but if you are rolling for stats its completely random. I should have some control over what I am creating. By the very name Fleshcrafting i should have some sort of craft check to manipulate the stats somehow shouldnt I? Or do craft checks and pay gold for materials or something. It just seems to me that if I am going to be making someone a body that they can inhabit from now on then there should be more concrete rules for it.

Death - Summon spirit - Would it be ok if instead of the HD of the Creature overlapping the class lvls, could it be changed to the CR instead? That seems more inline with power lvl?

Enhancement-Animate Object-Still need to know if I am reading this right. "So if I animate an Opponents weapon to become an Animate object then they have to make a Ref save as long as they hold the item and if they Make it, they use the item as normal? If they fail, their turn is wasted? Is that correct? Then if they drop the item it functions as a normal Animate object correct?"

Protection - Spell Ward - Still would like to know if I can fail my roll on purpose to allow my magic to work?

As for telekinesis I think we have differing viewpoints. Telekinesis isnt just about picking up large objects as you say, especially since you gave access to things like Dancing weapon, Flair, and Finesse.
    Why not give a talent that enables you to use a BaB 1 step higher? That way a Mid BaB character spends 1 talent and a Poor BaB character spends 2 talents to use full BaB. It makes perfect sense to me that say an Incanter specialized in Telekinetic Combat would be able to dual a high lvl fighter. The Fighter using his physical attributes while the Incanter uses his mental atttributes.
    You give all the tools to turn a Mage-like character (ie. the Incanter) into a telekinetically empowered badass but then completely shut them down by forcing them to use their own BaB.
    I dont see how this would affect anything negatively.
    Just my 2 cents again and thanks again for any reply.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias1313 View Post
    As for telekinesis I think we have differing viewpoints. Telekinesis isnt just about picking up large objects as you say, especially since you gave access to things like Dancing weapon, Flair, and Finesse.
    Why not give a talent that enables you to use a BaB 1 step higher? That way a Mid BaB character spends 1 talent and a Poor BaB character spends 2 talents to use full BaB. It makes perfect sense to me that say an Incanter specialized in Telekinetic Combat would be able to dual a high lvl fighter. The Fighter using his physical attributes while the Incanter uses his mental atttributes.
    You give all the tools to turn a Mage-like character (ie. the Incanter) into a telekinetically empowered badass but then completely shut them down by forcing them to use their own BaB.
    I dont see how this would affect anything negatively.
    Just my 2 cents again and thanks again for any reply.
    I think my issue with creating such a talent, is that it gives the incanter the ability to do what the fighter does, better then what the fighter does. One of the things that I like about Spheres of Power, is that it takes away the Tier 1 aspect of the game.

So I suppose I am asking, are you really complaining that because the Incanter at the moment cant do EVERYTHING better than EVERYONE?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Telekinetic warrior symbiots and thaumaturges can both get full CL to telekinesis on medium BAB chassis, which works just fine. Combat reflexes is your friend here. Even an incanter can do okay since AOOs are made at full bab, so forcing the enemy to pass your field of weapons give you a good chance to land hits while you teleport away.

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    I think my issue with creating such a talent, is that it gives the incanter the ability to do what the fighter does, better then what the fighter does. One of the things that I like about Spheres of Power, is that it takes away the Tier 1 aspect of the game.

So I suppose I am asking, are you really complaining that because the Incanter at the moment cant do EVERYTHING better than EVERYONE?
    The fighter sucks too much to be a real benchmark. Use Warder or Warlord of Path of War instead. Otherwise, maybe if Mathias1313's suggestion is toned done by just shifting by one BAB at most, leaving the Incanter at mis mid-BAB. I admit I'm biased to see a Hedgewitch doing telekinetic combat, although admittedly the class is already mid-BAB.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Telekinetic warrior symbiots and thaumaturges can both get full CL to telekinesis on medium BAB chassis, which works just fine. Combat reflexes is your friend here. Even an incanter can do okay since AOOs are made at full bab, so forcing the enemy to pass your field of weapons give you a good chance to land hits while you teleport away.
    Pretty much this. Telekinetic combat looks like it doesn't work well because of BAB stuff, but it's definitely viable.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Will we be seeing any future items that interact with the class features of the spheres classes? An amulet to reduce backlash chance, a scepter to channel shadow blasts, a crown boosting the range of psionics, etc?

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

By the way, I'm heading to Gen Con later today; to anyone else coming, hope to see you there!

@stack The small-but-ever-so-important-thing about animated objects is that you don't actually get to design them via build points, build points are supposed to reflect the already-present construction of the item; you can't make a ship fly by animating it anymore than you could transform it into mithril by animating it. It's one of those strange things that always happens when a system was build to be GM-only but then gets adapted to player use, kind of like the exploitable quirks that jumped in once magic item creation rules were opened up for player use.

@Mathias1313:

Creation: There are three factors involved whenever rules are decided on: the player, the GM, and the designer. A lot of things involving stat creation are left up for the GM to decide, so rather than enforcing my own method of character creation onto the game (which could clash highly with the GM's preferred method) we decided not to delve into it. Any of those things you're mentioning could work absolutely fine, and so long as you're not creating a body that has significantly-higher stats than the rest of the PCs, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed.

Death: Sure, sounds good.

Enhance: Your interpretation of animating an opponent's weapon is correct.

Protection: Make a single MSB check and compare your results to the MSD of each item; if you choose to make your check a roll of a natural 1, it wouldn't suppress any item or spell in the area, yours or otherwise.

Telekinesis: From our testing, it just got too powerful; High BAB makes an awesome telekinetic fighter, High caster level makes a 'fling my enemies around like they're straw' fighter, and doing both requires you to sacrifice at least a little from one or both ends.

@stack: More magic items are definitely on the way, yeah.

26. - Top - End - #296

Having had combat for the first time in my new campaign, I noticed that I'm not quite sure if I do some things correctly.

• Casting still provokes an attack of opportunity?
    • If yes, does using Energy Blade talent of the Destruction sphere also provoke an AoO?
    • Can I cast and hold a charge for touch attacks, like in the core rules?

BTW, why do you keep for Fool Magic the prerequisites with the Disguise, if the actual effect does not require Disguise at all? Why are the prerequisites so tough for this feat?

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Having had combat for the first time in my new campaign, I noticed that I'm not quite sure if I do some things correctly.

• Casting still provokes an attack of opportunity?
    • If yes, does using Energy Blade talent of the Destruction sphere also provoke an AoO?
    • Can I cast and hold a charge for touch attacks, like in the core rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spheres of Power, pg 8 (emphasis mine)
    Like spells, spheres require levels in a magic- using class. Using a sphere ability provokes an attack of opportunity (unless cast defensively), requires a concentration check in difficult situations, ceases to function in an anti-magic field, and is subject to spell resistance. Unlike spells, however, sphere abilities do not require gestures or magic words, nor are they divided between Arcane and Divine sources (although Chapter 5 of this book details Casting Traditions—a way for players and GMs to re-introduce these particulars and distinctions). Likewise, just as a fighter may take levels in other martial classes without sacrificing his combat ability, a caster may take multiple casting classes without necessarily dividing his power.
    So I would recommend casting energy blade defensively.

I do not see any rules about holding the charge, I would personally say that you may hold the charge for spells just as normal.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2015-07-30 at 03:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Adam previously stated in his thread that you can hold a charge.

Energy blade does provoke normally, so cast defensively. Also, energy blade stinks.

29. - Top - End - #299

Thanks to you both!

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Adam previously stated in his thread that you can hold a charge.

Energy blade does provoke normally, so cast defensively. Also, energy blade stinks.
    Ah, good, so I wasn't that off. Requiring casting defensively for Energy Blade didn't occur for me, because I assumed that it would be excepted from the AoO. Does that talent stink because of the AoO or is there another reason? BTW, does the Magus still provoke with his class features when casting? Looking over it I didn't see any mention that it would change compared to the other classes.
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2015-07-30 at 06:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Ah, good, so I wasn't that off. Requiring casting defensively for Energy Blade didn't occur for me, because I assumed that it would be excepted from the AoO. Does that talent stink because of the AoO or is there another reason?
    I think it stinks because:
    o Energy Blade is a (shape) and there are far more effective (shape)s to apply to your blast.
    o the moment that you can afford spell-storing weapons, it loses alot of its usefulness