New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Final Fantasy Record Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    That's one of my problems with FFXIII's storyline. The majority of the game is spent with the main characters forced into a catch-22 where they can't do anything without playing right into the whole doomsday scenario. They just kind of wander around aimlessly until the DM main villain forces them to go back and follow the plot.
    No no, the entirety of the game is spent playing along with the villain's masterplan, including the bit where they kill him at the end.

The point at which the main characters deviate from doing what the villain wants them to do is about halfway through the ending cutscene.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

So you get around 6000-8000 memories for hard and around 30k for heroic. Getting thundaja or whatever it is will be pretty easy even if you just do it on hard. This event gives a LOT of orbs by going through the reward tree and some pretty good items (updated wrist guards). Definitely seems worthwhile to do.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Is it just me, or does Vanille seem to be a super red mage? Black 4, White 5, Support 2, mind and magic in the double digits at level 1. Not that a red mage is all that valuable in FFRK, though: with only two ability slots, it's not like you get much out of being capable on both fronts.

I suppose the real question is this: is Vanille a better healer than Lenna? Because she's not going to outdo Rinoa/Rydia as a black mage.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Is it just me, or does Vanille seem to be a super red mage? Black 4, White 5, Support 2, mind and magic in the double digits at level 1. Not that a red mage is all that valuable in FFRK, though: with only two ability slots, it's not like you get much out of being capable on both fronts.

I suppose the real question is this: is Vanille a better healer than Lenna? Because she's not going to outdo Rinoa/Rydia as a black mage.
    Definitely not a better healer than Lenna. Rydia only gets up to 3 stars black magic though, so even with a superior magic score Vanille should eventually outclass her. Rinoa still outclasses Vanille as a Black Mage though.

One way Vanille has an advantage over Lenna is she can use support abilities like Boost.

I see Vanille shining brightest in a caster-centric party with a SB that can lower enemy's Resistance.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Here is a ranking of playable characters by max Mind stat - that's the one that calculates healing. Vanille is a close third after Lenna and Aerith. It's also worth noting that, unlike those two, Vanille can use more powerful black magic and has an offensive SB. She can also use light armor, and has higher Resistance.

As to black mages, here's that ranking. There's a three-way tie for first between Rydia, Rinoa and Terra; Vanille follows immediately after. Vanille's SB is better, in that Rinoa and Terra can only target one character, and none of them carry the debuff rider that Vanille's does. Other than that, though, she's probably not a better black mage than they are.

I'm still using her in place of Rydia, simply because Rydia has failed me one time too many; she does not replace Lenna, because Lenna's regen SB is useful to me.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Definitely not a better healer than Lenna. Rydia only gets up to 3 stars black magic though, so even with a superior magic score Vanille should eventually outclass her. Rinoa still outclasses Vanille as a Black Mage though.

One way Vanille has an advantage over Lenna is she can use support abilities like Boost.

I see Vanille shining brightest in a caster-centric party with a SB that can lower enemy's Resistance.
    Ouch. Who'd do a caster-centric party? You'd have to it pretty late in the process, when you can farm orbs for honing abilities (and honing is expensive) to kingdom come. Because maybe it's just me, but mages kinda suck when they run out of ability uses.

Also, just got Warrior of Light. Nifty guy, but (like Vanille) starting at level 1 is a real pain when your already stamina starved. Still trying to find the path to get to that Luneth guy from FFIII.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Ouch. Who'd do a caster-centric party? You'd have to it pretty late in the process, when you can farm orbs for honing abilities (and honing is expensive) to kingdom come. Because maybe it's just me, but mages kinda suck when they run out of ability uses.

Also, just got Warrior of Light. Nifty guy, but (like Vanille) starting at level 1 is a real pain when your already stamina starved. Still trying to find the path to get to that Luneth guy from FFIII.
    I'm running a 3-caster party, but I've got several caster abilities at 4-6 uses. The two melee fighters (Cloud and Sephiroth) carry the battles until I get to a boss, and then the casters murderfy the boss. I'm not sure how I'd have killed several bosses on hard without the Black Magic Punch I brought with me. That said, you can probably get by with a single black magic user and a single white mage with an offensive spell or SB.

But a party full of melee seems like it would get stomped on hard.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    I'm running a 3-caster party, but I've got several caster abilities at 4-6 uses. The two melee fighters (Cloud and Sephiroth) carry the battles until I get to a boss, and then the casters murderfy the boss. I'm not sure how I'd have killed several bosses on hard without the Black Magic Punch I brought with me. That said, you can probably get by with a single black magic user and a single white mage with an offensive spell or SB.

But a party full of melee seems like it would get stomped on hard.
    Well, yeah. My current party is:
    Tyro (Lvl 36 w/ 4* axe, Curaga, Thunder Strike)
    Cloud (Level 38 w/ 4* sword, Blizard Strike, Fira Strike)
    Josef (Level 33 w/ 4* dagger, Double Cut, Blade Bash)
    Rinoa (Level 33 w/ 4* rod, Watera, Thundara)
    Lenna (Level 30 w/ 4* staff, Cure, Dia)

And, yeah, the first three cut through normal encounters quickly, while everyone goes all out on bosses.

Looking at the list on page 1, I only have Luneth and Gordon left to acquire of the base cast.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2015-05-27 at 11:01 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

I've recently replaced my black mage (Terra) with Celes as a second spellblade user. It's working pretty well. I will switch Celes out once she hits 50 not sure what I'll replace em with. Vanille is tempting since they look like they're competing well with Terra for the black mage slot, since I'm using Balamb Guard Armor (light) for Terra anyways. Having 4 melee attackers (Cloud, Wakka, Kain, Celes) makes things go quite quick. For farming hard dailies I usually just give Tyro one of my other 5 star weapons and I can auto battle through them fairly easily.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    So you get around 6000-8000 memories for hard and around 30k for heroic. Getting thundaja or whatever it is will be pretty easy even if you just do it on hard. This event gives a LOT of orbs by going through the reward tree and some pretty good items (updated wrist guards). Definitely seems worthwhile to do.
    I'm up to 25,000 at this point, just by farming hard a few times. This event seems like it's much easier than some of the earlier ones. I'm really looking forward to playing with Thundaja.

Signature of Holding

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

I missed out on a lot of the limited time characters when my phone was out of commission for a while. My party is currently around level 26... Cloud, Dark Knight Cecil, Kain, Lenna and Rydia. Actually got my first ever five star relic today - the Zantetsuken, which gets Cloud's attack to 140.

This new event is pretty tough, though. Had trouble getting through Normal. I really want that Thundaja but I'd currently need to clear Normal another 120-odd times to get it. Not sure I have the time or patience for that.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

My party is Cloud, Kain,Wakka, Rydia, and Lenna. They are all around 28. I managed to get Vanille to 19 with a dozen eggs and I think I am going to use her to replace Wakka (he is the only person I have who still uses a level 2 Weapon)

I don't have any trouble with normal on this event, but I am still losing on hard.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm having trouble on Hard as well, but at least part of that is I chose to replace Josef and Rydia on my team for Snow and Vanille for the duration of this event. So far they're not completely useless but neither are they pulling the weight I need to master Hard, but that's forgivable since they're a good 20 levels below the rest.

I also don't like this event format compared to the others. Oh look, 3 - 5 random bosses in a row when I should be saving my big guns for Anima. Yay.

Is Regen completely underwhelming or is it just bad for this event? Every time I have use Snow use his limit break I don't see any noticeable effect until he's already dead.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Ouch. Hitting hard is like hitting a break wall. My team is all level 45 (cloud, Kain, sepheroth, rinoa ( leveled her hard to get her there) and Lenna all with 5 star equipment. I can breeze through Normal on autopilot, but I can't get anywhere on hard. Freaking crabs hit my whole team for 1000 every turn. Then its Anima on phase 2, 3, and 4
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2015-05-27 at 06:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Ouch. Hitting hard is like hitting a break wall. My team is all level 45 (cloud, Kain, sepheroth, rinoa ( leveled her hard to get her there) and Lenna all with 5 star equipment. I can breeze through Normal on autopilot, but I can't get anywhere on hard. Freaking crabs hit my whole team for 1000 every turn. Then its Anima on phase 2, 3, and 4
    Wow, you sure you aren't mixing up Hard and Heroic? I mean I can't beat Hard, but I've made it slightly over halfway, and I have 1 5 star equipment, and then mostly 4 star's and my guys are mid-30's. Can't imagine you're having so much trouble on hard with 10 more levels and far superior equipment.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Wow, I didn't even know you could encounter Anima outside of the last phase. I'm having better luck with Hard and two of my characters are currently vastly underleveled. If you have 5-star equipment I think you almost have to be on Heroic with those kinds of numbers.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

It's hard, not heroic. I've tried three runs before posting in frustration. My problem might be wrong abilities, bad strategy for anima or both.

I only have thundara (2 star), honed to level 3. Protectga looks impossible to get right now. And I have no idea what people mean by retaliate. I think I'll farm some crystals and buy the right orbs from the previous event while I can.

As for anima, attacks are instantly countered hard by the claws and killing the claws is pointless since they instantly regrow. It takes so much to just kill one claws it doesn't seem worth it.

The random natural of the event might explain why some breeze through while others tear their hair out. According to the wiki you can be forced to fight Anima four times, and the warmech 3 times all in the same run on hard. And each of my three attempts looked pretty much like that.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2015-05-27 at 10:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ret is having one boosted char(Cloud in my case) use Retaliate then having the other chars attack (or double attack!) him so he attacks the lowest % enemy. Also, you're chars will miss so you wont be damaging him and the boss wont counter. Its... Nifty.

I have found if you kill one arm, it wont regen. So I kill the left because it hurts me more, power break the body, hit the body once so it isa lower % then the arm, boost/ret cloud, then have 4 people hit Cloud. It works for me on normal, but I can't reliable get to him on Hard to do it without busting out all my resources on the other fights, and that is a very iffy pain to do. I think ill try it again monday after leveling/gearing some. =( Starting late sucks.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

It's hard, not heroic. I've tried three runs before posting in frustration. My problem might be wrong abilities, bad strategy for anima or both.
    Bad luck's part of it. Encountering Anima before the final phase is rare. It only just happened to me for the first time. For the record I haven't been able to beat Anima on Hard yet and I have three characters at ~45 and two I'm leveling at ~28. My biggest problem is I have to spend too many resources on the boss fights before Anima.

I only have thundara (2 star), honed to level 3. Protectga looks impossible to get right now. And I have no idea what people mean by retaliate. I think I'll farm some crystals and buy the right orbs from the previous event while I can.
    Retaliate is a cheap, low-level ability in the Other section, a Samurai skill usable by Cloud or Cyan. Retaliate makes physical attacks miss the user and the user counters all physical attacks. There's an exploit where you can attack someone with Retaliate, the attack misses, and they counter attack the enemy. A good strategy for bosses is to have one warrior with Retaliate, a support character with Boost, and at least two characters with Double Cut, two copies on each character if possible. If you use Double Cut on a character with Retaliate, said character will counter attack the enemy twice.

EDIT: Shadow'd. Or Edge'd. Maybe Yuffie'd.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2015-05-27 at 10:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Retaliate is a cheap, low-level ability in the Other section, a Samurai skill usable by Cloud or Cyan. Retaliate makes physical attacks miss the user and the user counters all physical attacks. There's an exploit where you can attack someone with Retaliate, the attack misses, and they counter attack the enemy. A good strategy for bosses is to have one warrior with Retaliate, a support character with Boost, and at least two characters with Double Cut, two copies on each character if possible. If you use Double Cut on a character with Retaliate, said character will counter attack the enemy twice.

EDIT: Shadow'd. Or Edge'd. Maybe Yuffie'd.
    I.....I....I'm in love. That's a brilliant strategy. I mean, I really hate abusing bugs, but my god that may be something I might have to do so I can complete hard at least once. Cloud has my retaliate, and I have two copies of double cut, man that could literally be the solution to my issues with a strategy like that. I mean, I'd feel low as hell afterwards having done it, but I mean...Thundaja!!!!!!!! I want it so much. If I could start farming Hard with a strat like that I think I'd take the guilty feelings and just suppress them.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2015-05-27 at 11:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

As for anima, attacks are instantly countered hard by the claws and killing the claws is pointless since they instantly regrow. It takes so much to just kill one claws it doesn't seem worth it.

The random natural of the event might explain why some breeze through while others tear their hair out. According to the wiki you can be forced to fight Anima four times, and the warmech 3 times all in the same run on hard. And each of my three attempts looked pretty much like that.
    Have you made any of the break skills yet? They really help. Armor break + two fairly strong abilities from your melee guys will kill an arm (I use drain strike from cloud and double cut from Wakka). After that armor break the body once then start retaliating. If you have appropriate hard hitting SBs from your 5 star weapons you can just ignore the retaliate bit all together. My usual strategy for hard is:

Kill arm as above
    Armor break + Status reels (Wakka's second SB) the body.
    Attack body with Kain's Lancet then Jump, Wakka double cutting, Cloud drain striking and Celes doing whatever strikes I have left over (I bring water and lightning for her both 4 uses since all the mini bosses are vulnerable to lightning and water).
    Use Celes SB (party wide magic protect) after 1 full round of hitting the body. That protects against the AoE near the end.

Do you have bad armor for your guys or something? The arms are hitting my guys in 4 star armor for around 300 damage (150 after power breaking)...so getting hit for 1000 seems way out there.

Also I don't see how retaliate is an exploit. It's exactly like using Reflect and bouncing magic off yourself to hit enemies in pretty much all FF games. I mean I don't recall which game (FF IV or VI I think) where there's a boss that explicitly uses this technique against you. The only difference here is that retaliate is for physical attacks instead of magic ones. I do suppose the fact that it uses the retaliators attack is somewhat different since it can boost your mages melee attacks. That's the only possible "exploit" part.

There's a bigger exploit of using shell on the enemy, then mental breakdown, then shell again to set their Res to 2, which makes pretty much all magic attacks hit for 9999. This doesn't really work yet for physical attacks since there's no armor breakdown skill yet (just armor break which isnt efficient enough to drop their Def all that much).
    Last edited by Chen; 2015-05-28 at 07:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it worth collecting the orbs from Mog? I got a lightning orb so I could get Thunder II (Thundara?) but what of the others? I mainly have minor orbs so no really powerful spells yet other than Water II, Ice II and maybe Fire II. I pretty much have all the trinkets except for the items at 1500.

Otherwise, I'll alternate between farming memories and the usual XP/Gil. I think I got Vanille last night.
    Last edited by Klaatu B. Nikto; 2015-05-28 at 09:40 AM.
    Professional assassination is the highest form of public service. -- Chiun
    My PadHerder: https://www.padherder.com/user/NukedDuck/
    FFRK FC: qZaG

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

I'm running the following party through the event on Hard:

Cloud (Front Row, lvl 50, 4* Crystal sword, Genji Shield, Hyper Wrist), with Double Strike and Drain Strike
    Sephiroth (Front Row, lvl 50, 5* Gladius+, Diamond Armor, Hyper Wrist), with Double Strike and Blade Bash
    Terra (Back Row, lvl 50, 4* Gravity Rod, Genji Helm, Earring), with Fira and Blizzaga
    Lenna (Back Row, lvl 45, 4* Light Staff, Summoner's Robe, Angel Ring), with Curaja and Haste
    Rydia (Back Row, lvl 50, 5* Ice Whip, 4* Black Cowl+, Earring), with Thundara and Thundaga

For Anima, I focus attacks on the main body. Use Lenna to heal if needed, or Haste Cloud and Rydia when healing isn't vital. Cloud and Sephiroth unload Double Strikes, Terra drops Blizzaga, and Rydia either uses her SB (Shiva), or drops Thundaga and Thundara on the main body.

I get probably 3-4 rounds of attacks in before Anima goes down.

For the Beta Behemoth and the Manasvin Warmech, I focus on hasting Rydia and using Thundara and Thundaga to make quick work of them.

For all of the other encounters, I auto-battle through them, keeping an eye on health levels to see if healing is needed.

When I run into Anima earlier than the final battle, things get a little rough (it's happened 3 times, and I died one of those times), so don't give up on Hard, it's just really rough when you hit Anima more than once (although the rewards are nice).

Signature of Holding

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu B. Nikto View Post
    Is it worth collecting the orbs from Mog? I got a lightning orb so I could get Thunder II (Thundara?) but what of the others? I mainly have minor orbs so no really powerful spells yet other than Water II, Ice II and maybe Fire II. I pretty much have all the trinkets except for the items at 1500.

Otherwise, I'll alternate between farming memories and the usual XP/Gil. I think I got Vanille last night.
    I picked up all the summon orbs except greater since they're usually annoying to get. Also picked up all the lesser power orbs since you want a ton of those to hone double strikes, retaliates and 2* elemental strikes. I picked up a few greater orbs but got fed up of doing those events.

The latest event gets you a ton of orbs. It's definitely worth going through even if you can only do normal. You probably won't get thundaja but you can pick up a lot of 3 and 4 star orbs pretty easily.

Focus on finishing the campaign though too. More stamina is always nice if for nothing else than the overnight fill-up. Odds are you'll have bigger gaps during the day too though. I believe max stamina is 100 currently which is 5 hours worth of resting.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Man I really, really, reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyyyy hope that the next set of 5 star equipment they feature in relic draws is something I want, I now have 85 mythril saved up, and if it is something I want, I'll likely have the other 15 ready to go by that point for 2 full sets of 10(+1) ^^ Going to be my absolute best chance to come out of it with some killer equipment for my guys.

@Chen: Thanks for the info that there is now the ability to reach 100 stamina. The last time I checked the cap was 50 and I figured it couldn't possibly have gone up "that" much, but apparently it has, so I'm going through and doing some elite dungeons and some of the regular dungeons to get my stamina higher!
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2015-05-31 at 12:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I just got Snow is he worth it? My current party is Kain, Cloud, Rydia, Camille, and Lenna. All around 32. Kain has my only 5star weapon and currently does almost 3 times the damage Cloud does with a 3 star.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shizukanashi View Post
    I just got Snow is he worth it? My current party is Kain, Cloud, Rydia, Camille, and Lenna. All around 32. Kain has my only 5star weapon and currently does almost 3 times the damage Cloud does with a 3 star.
    Meh, I think I prefer Josef outside of XIII dungeons. Both have high attack and crap defenses. They use the same kind of weapons, so having a decent fist weapon is a big factor.

As you mentioned above, 5* equipment makes a huge difference in the game. Under more equal circumstances, Cloud should leave Kain and most characters in the dust.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler: Next Character
    Show
    If the source I'm using proves to be accurate, Locke will be up next. It'll be another event like Rinoa's with the large dungeon, only this will kind of span the majority off FF6 or at least the parts Locke was/could be a part of.

15 levels. No idea on difficulty level but if it's anything like To Slay A Sorceress, I'd expect a party of late 20's, early 30's should be able to do it.

Elite mastery is a Phoenix summon. O_o WANT!!!

Spoiler: Locke's stats
    Show
    Still looking for raw numbers... Basics are that his attack is respectable but nowhere near the top contenders, but his speed is through the roof.

Confirmed in JP version Locke is fastest in the game. Second is Lightning, Vaan, Tifa, Balthier, Tidus all tied. Attack-wise he's behind Cyan, Tifa, and Snow. But ahead of Warrior of Light, Paladin Cecil, Tidus, and Wakka.

Uses: Dagger, Sword, Throwing
    Shield, Hat, Helmet, Light Armor, Robe, Bracer
    Combat 4* Support 3* Celerity 5* Thief 5*

SB: Surprise - Damage that doesn't change from the back row. Not sure how that's useful since if you're in the back row it's because you have an ability or weapon to use from there. Still damage is damage I guess.

Special equipment is Rising Sun, a throwing weapon. New SB is Mirage Dive, which hits all enemies and inflicts Slow.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2015-05-31 at 08:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shizukanashi View Post
    I gave Cloud the Zantetsuken I pulled and he does more damage than Cecil or Kain even with the synergy bonus. Has, like, a little over 150 attack or something.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I hate the relic system in this game. Just to give you a sense of where I'm coming from, I've got 70 stamina, I have recruited all of the core characters, and my main party is 4/5 into the 40's. I have one 5 star item: the Regal Gown (a robe with no special effects or stat bonuses). Am I out of line for being frustrated by this?
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.