New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Do Celestials Get Promoted?

It's a standard method of advancement in Hell and the Abyss for lower-ranking demons to earn transformations into higher-ranking and more powerful forms, but is there any such system for angels or archons? Can a particularly loyal and successful lantern archon earn an 'upgrade' to a hound or trumpet archon? I couldn't find any good sources pointing one way or the other.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2015-05-15 at 06:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Do Celestials Get Promoted?

Like most things the players weren't really supposed to fight (the original rules didn't expect as many evil characters as it got, or was designed with the idea most players would be good in mind), the rules are noticeably silent on this matter. Maybe we should ask Afroakuma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Archons, absolutely. After lantern and as you enter the normal Archon progression, each layer (trumpet, sword, hound, etc) has three layers to them, bronze, silver & gold iirc. Progression through the ranks is based on spiritual progression. Once you've worked up through the ranks you hit the next form and start all over again. Planes of Law has the most detailed discussion on the matter.

Angels I don't believe have a set progression in the same manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

4. - Top - End - #4

I'll have to try and track down a copy then.

Angels can be Any Good, so I figured they were the 'next step up' for both Archons (LG) and Eladrin (CG) - but do Eladrin have any sort of advancement this way?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    In the Sertrous entry of Elder Evils they imply it.The astral deva there was a planetar until he revealed the secret Sertrous told to him;he was then demoted,

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    In the Sertrous entry of Elder Evils they imply it.The astral deva there was a planetar until he revealed the secret Sertrous told to him;he was then demoted,
    Sure, I'm just unsure we can say anything generally meaningful about angels as they're "good" but vary across the law/chaos axis. I assume that means their evolution/promotions will vary across a wide spectrum (plus, gods and territories).

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Angels can be Any Good, so I figured they were the 'next step up' for both Archons (LG) and Eladrin (CG) - but do Eladrin have any sort of advancement this way?
    Nah, Angels are their own thing. They all are. I just flipped through some old 2e resources for Eladrin but didn't find anything. I assume it wouldn't be structured but honestly can't recall any solid sources that discuss the matter. Sorry
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2015-05-15 at 08:22 PM.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Close, actually Avamerin as described in EE was originally a Solar, and afterward he was demonted to Planetar.

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

I sort of take a "Yes with an if, no with a but" answer to this question in my cosmology. I don't know if there's a solid RAW answer for all cases, but I treat Angels as sentient manifestations of a deity's will (Angel means "Messenger", after all) and as such the answer for Angels really depends on the deity in question. As for Archons... I don't think we're given as much info on *how* it happens like we are for the evil side of things, but I think so.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, correction. I checked Warriors of Heaver (disclaimer, Afro does not endorse some content in the book) and it did have a comment about the Eladrin's, "The mortal celestials - the aasimar, asuras, eladrins and guardinals - do not assume new shapes as they gain experience."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, correction. I checked Warriors of Heaver (disclaimer, Afro does not endorse some content in the book) and it did have a comment about the Eladrin's, "The mortal celestials - the aasimar, asuras, eladrins and guardinals - do not assume new shapes as they gain experience."
    Hmm, first I've heard that eladrins are mortal, despite the 'Children of Androlynne' plot hook. Any indication of a life span?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Hmm, first I've heard that eladrins are mortal, despite the 'Children of Androlynne' plot hook. Any indication of a life span?
    I think 'mortal celestial' means that they were made from mortals, not that they are mortals.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I'm just spitballing here, but that may be one of those things that changed with editions. Like gnomes in the Monster Manual, but more so? Summoning Afroakuma may would likely give us some more info on that, but another possibility is that Warriors of Heaven clashes with other sources (2E or 3E) in regards to the information provided. That could be one explanation for why he doesn't endorse parts of it.

It's been years since I've given the Book of Exalted Deeds any close inspection, but I know it has some "unique" celestials listed or at least alludes to them with the Court of Stars and other organizations. Is there anything in those later sections that suggest the possibility or impossibility of transforming into a "higher order" being?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would it be a fair premise that Archons and probably Angels are a Heirarchy of races, while Eladrins are simply a group of races and that they don't change form with status any more than a Human (or and Elf, or an Orc) turns into a different species as he goes up in levels?

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Would it be a fair premise that Archons and probably Angels are a Heirarchy of races, while Eladrins are simply a group of races and that they don't change form with status any more than a Human (or and Elf, or an Orc) turns into a different species as he goes up in levels?
    I'd say that it'd depend on cosmology, but... yeah, I could see that working in a lot of the big campaign worlds.

15. - Top - End - #15

How about the other aligned Outsiders? Modrons get promoted, I know that, and Slaad can advance by doing... something at their spawning pool (I forget), but Inevitables seem to be born in that one form.

And I have no idea what the hell's going on with Formians.
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    Slaad can advance by doing... something at their spawning pool (I forget)
    At least in 3.5 it's deliberately left open. Also the form advancement chain only applies to green and up, red and blue slaads are stuck as the same kind forever (though they're also the only kinds that can reproduce).

And I have no idea what the hell's going on with Formians.
    Formians are ants, there's no way they aren't born as the variety they're going to be forever.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    I think 'mortal celestial' means that they were made from mortals, not that they are mortals.
    I think the book called those races 'mortal celestials' because they were born from parents instead of being made from promoted petitioners, but many bits of Warriors of Heaven contradicts the Planescape canon.

Archons, absolutely. After lantern and as you enter the normal Archon progression, each layer (trumpet, sword, hound, etc) has three layers to them, bronze, silver & gold iirc. Progression through the ranks is based on spiritual progression. Once you've worked up through the ranks you hit the next form and start all over again. Planes of Law has the most detailed discussion on the matter.

I remember reading that. I wonder if the mortals who choose a Path and climb Mount Celestia are awarded a virtual rank of sorts; Lantern Archons consider them as part of their choir, after all.

By the way, I wonder how the whole Archon promotion system interacts with the Path system. There are Archons of every kind living in every layer from Lunia to Jovar. Does a Lantern Archon have to climb all the way from Lunia to Jovar in order to be promoted to Hound Archon, and then is sent back to Lunia to start all again? Or can they be promoted before reaching Jovar?
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2015-05-16 at 04:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Angels, Formians and inevitables all have their own thing, they aren't Exemplars like the rest.

Angels are created and maintained by deities, not the planes. It would depend in the divinity in question.

Inevitables are built. There's not mich more material.

Formians are an invasive Pest, not a native outgrowth of Mechanus.

Modrons are promoted at random and mich of their mind rewritten.

Archons have Hierarchies, up to those more powerful thanSolars.

The poor Eladrin never got enough Material and what they have is wird and contradictory. Like the Eladrin themselves.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Archons have Hierarchies, up to those more powerful than Solars.
    Really..? there are achon types above Solar..?

I kinda thought the next step up from there were more or less lesser deity.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Really..? there are achon types above Solar..?

I kinda thought the next step up from there were more or less lesser deity.
    Solar isn't an archon. The Celestial Hebdomad is stronger than solars (by CR). Some of them lack the solar's cleric casting so they are actually weaker.

Edit: I double checked and they all have cleric 20 casting, so they are stronger than solars. My bad.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-05-16 at 08:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Also doesn't seem very likely that Modrons are promoted randomly...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    If we want to be technical, they are promoted in an incredibly orderly method. It's just that the pattern is so utterly complicated so as to be unpredictable to those who don't know the will of Mechanus (thus leading to the irony of, from an outsider's point of view, the CN outsiders have a very orderly advancement, while the LN ones have a seemingly chaotic one).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

If we want to be technical, they are promoted in an incredibly orderly method. It's just that the pattern is so utterly complicated so as to be unpredictable to those who don't know the will of Mechanus (thus leading to the irony of, from an outsider's point of view, the CN outsiders have a very orderly advancement, while the LN ones have a seemingly chaotic one).
    The slaads have the excuse that order is forced on theirs by the Slaad Lords, so no slaad can come to be born strong enough to rival their power.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Surprisingly its not necessarily that complicated. Numbers are often fixed and promotions take place to fill gaps. Likewise Modron's can be promoted and demoted based on need, for example Promis's needs a tridrone over there, so a different tridrone elsewhere is demoted and the energy transferred to promote the other. It's sort of a zero sum system.

-----------------

Back to Warriors of Heaven, I couldn't find any reference to ages and agree that the "mortal" quantifier is likely in relation to the kids. Also I noted WoH had a seven pip system as opposed to the three pop system of PoL (extra pips are still metallic, tin, lead, etc). Indeed the book isn't 100% consistent with Planescape (no surprise there, guide to hell also isn't fully compatible).

25. - Top - End - #25

Solar isn't an archon. The Celestial Hebdomad is stronger than solars (by CR). Some of them lack the solar's cleric casting so they are actually weaker.

Edit: I double checked and they all have cleric 20 casting, so they are stronger than solars. My bad.
    Is there anything between 'Trumpet Archon' and the Hebdomad?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for all the clarifications on the eladrins... I use them in my game, and that was freaking me out.

For the Archons... The Trumpet Archons are CR14, and Throne Archons (also in the BoEd) are CR15, so there's that. That looks like the most powerful, after looking through the other books that have archons in them: MMI, MM4, Races of Stone, Complete Psionic, BoED, Planar Handbook, and Tome of Magic.
    Last edited by Bronk; 2015-05-16 at 01:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I am summoned

Seriously I have a thread specifically for getting my attention, not to mention a PM inbox, how is it that I had to stumble across this thread on my own? Y'all are weird.

Anyway!

It's a standard method of advancement in Hell and the Abyss for lower-ranking demons to earn transformations into higher-ranking and more powerful forms, but is there any such system for angels or archons? Can a particularly loyal and successful lantern archon earn an 'upgrade' to a hound or trumpet archon? I couldn't find any good sources pointing one way or the other.
    Angels serve at the pleasure of deities and the general ideal of good; it's not impossible that an angel could be "promoted" by divine agency, but as a general practice it does not happen, nor would it make sense in many cases since it would be a divine application of the Peter Principle.

Archons promote normally. It's nice to be Lawful.

Guardinals do not officially promote, nor is there a set hierarchy (although CRs are a decent rule of thumb, leonals are obviously on top and mustevals are described as "lowly").

Eladrin do not officially promote; they have a caste system that stratifies them and puts the tulani, shiere and ghaele above the rest. Strange for a chaotic race, but nobody ever accused TSR of thinking things through with celestials...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    They aren't. To be technically precise, fighting modrons should be an exercise in "oh gods why" since Primus can (and will) promote a proximate modron to keep the balance level - and do so immediately. If you keep offing the decatons while pentadrones are around, you're going to be fighting an awful lot of decatons as they keep getting replaced. So technically the best tactic for fighting modrons is to take them out from weakest to strongest.

Is there anything between 'Trumpet Archon' and the Hebdomad?
    Archon hierarchy goes lantern, hound, warden, sword, trumpet, throne and tome. Other archon "types" aren't part of the hierarchy in the traditional way, but would represent alternate roles. "Tome archons" were originally hawk-headed, armored warlords, seven in number, but 3.5 changed "tome archon" to be an alternate title for members of the Hebdomad, who came in to fill a similar role.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.