Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [OOC] Aurum Draconiaci or: Lord of Manta's first attempt at DMing

Greetings, and Welcome to
    Aurum Draconiaci!

Link to IC

Link to Doc

Before we begin, there are a few things we need to cover, just so there are no misunderstandings.

1) Please repost a link to your character sheet in your first OOC post (just for the sake of convenience + to ensure there are no errors in the links I have), then choose a speech color. As DM, I get first dibs. Since I am playing the narrator this time, I will take the neutral, nondescript colors Maroon and Saddle Brown. I may branch out into other colors as needed; I will try to avoid using any of yours.

2) Please put the name of your character in bold at the top of every post you make; this helps to reinforce that it is, in fact, you speaking as that character and speeds familiarization with the others.

3) Just as a refresher on all the house rules we're using:
    3a) Instead of your standard "roll against DCs for Will/Fort/Ref system", we're using what's called Spell Attack - which, by sheer coincidence, is also outlined in Unearthed Arcana Pathfinder Unchained. To find your spell attack, take what would normally be the DC of your spell, subtract 10, and roll a d20 with that as a modifier. To find your defense, take your save and add it to 11.

3b) We're using the Base 20 XP system, meaning each level has 20 XP - thus, you should all be starting out with 200 XP at level 10. The system goes 1 XP for solving a sidequest, easy combat, or puzzle, 2 XP for your standard combat, and 3 XP for solving a main quest or difficult combat.
    IMPORTANT PSA: The astute may notice that the number I originally used in 3a was 10. Since Pathfinder Unleashed uses 11, we'll be using that instead, to make it a little more official.

4) For the purposes of combat and tracking quests, we will be using a rather robust Google Docs system that I shamelessly stole from Mathemagics and Felhammer. The Combat Sheet tab is where you will input the numbers you roll against your enemies, and where I will put in the enemy's attacks against you. Once you have posted here, hop on over there and scroll all the way over to the right; input all your defenses there. The Battle Map Tab is where you will be moving around your characters; as per tradition, each square is 5 feet. The other tabs are largely self-explanatory.

5) Most importantly - have fun. Half the point of this is that I want to learn how to make this a fun time for everyone; if you need something clarified or you think I'm doing a bad job (or, if I'm doing a good job and you want to steer me down the right path), let me know.

Player Character Gender Race Class Alignment Trait Color
    Othniel Brigitte and Jean Female Human Investigator (Empiricist)/VMC Druid CG League Engineer (UMD) Blue
    Nefarion Xid Stray and Pun-Pun Male Human Bard (Archaeologist) CN League Informant (Bluff) Dark Green
    Rysc Auva Female Fetchling Sorceror (Wildblooded) TN League Mediator (Diplomacy) Dark Grey
    skypse Kiriel Male Aasimar (Azata-Blooded) Crimson Assassin LN League Original (History) Indigo

The IC thread will be up sometime tonight.

Reposted from the Recruitment

Petty rivalry can lead to silly, or indeed rather interesting, things.

It was, in fact, petty rivalry that lead to the creation of the Lookout’s League, 3 years ago, when a man by the name of Christoph Carloman was refused induction into the Pathfinder Society. Many rumors swirl around what lead to his refusal, as by all accounts, or perhaps your own observation, the man is a fighter without peer (the popular consensus is that a. It involved a banana peel and a crate full of eggplants, b. it was apparently humiliating for all involved, and c. it lead to a binding resolution that the man is no longer allowed within 50 miles of the city of Absalom). Regardless of the truth, however, what is known is that the man left Absalom in a rage, swearing to create his own league of adventurers
    “With blackjack, and hookers! In fact, forget the blackjack! Ah, screw the whole thing.

Despite the last addendum, Christoph did indeed create his similar-but-legally-distinct competitor to the Pathfinder Society - the Trailblazer's League​, where each of you have found employment for the past few years. It has been an exciting time in each of your lives; far from a loose association of mercenaries who Christoph picked up in a bar in one of the more run-down districts of Almas, the League is now a thriving company of mercenaries and explorers, and is fast beginning to gain renown – and, perhaps, even a modicum of respect.

Dreams of grandeur, mountains of gold, and a life of freedom and paid company aside, however, any company requires resources to be run. Swords need to be sharpened, bowstrings replaced, property taxes paid, advertising and recruitment incentives need to be devised, and, most importantly, salaries need to get paid. And if a shortfall comes… well, let’s just say it won’t be pretty. And so it is with the company’s coffers low that each of you has been sent out on this expedition. Acting on a tip from a little village a couple days west of the capital city of Almas, in the country of Andoran where the headquarters of the Lookout’s League is based, this is where our story begins…

Spoiler: A Brief Biography of Cristoph Carloman
    Show

Tall, rugged, and scarred, with jet black hair, cunning brown eyes peek out at you from a face that speaks of quiet cunning and pragmatism. This is offset somewhat by the smirk on his face, the pipe in his hand, and the way he is causally leaning back in his chair, legs crossed, decked out in highly expensive-looking mithril chainmail, overlaid with what appears to be black, scaly leather pauldrons, vambraces, and greaves. "Eyeing the gear, huh? Got if off a dragon. Just a little one, mind - not that that was a great comfort to the sheep it was making a snack of. Or their shepherds, for that matter." A very pretty young woman enters the office, carrying a bottle, and pours you both a drink, rich amber-colored liquid sloshing into a couple of highball glasses. "You're the best, Scarlett," he says, winking in her direction as she leaves the way she came. Raising his glass, he takes a sip before leaning forward. "But that wasn't the only difficulty we had. On top of the dragon, we had a group of bandits terrorizing the village to deal with, a horde of orcs that wanted to capture the dragon, and the local bakery was out of flour." He leans forward. "Of course, we weren't going to let something as piddling as that stop us, no sir. So what we did, rather than trying to take them on all seperately, was to get them all to attack each other. Thanks to a little subterfuge, we managed to convince the dragon that the orcs had a bunch of tasty, tasty cattle hidden away somewhere, the orcs that the bandits had an artifact controlling the dragon, and the bandits that the dragon was fat and barely able to fly. The resulting mess..." He sighs contentedly. "It was glorious. At least, at first."

"Unfortunately, as you well know, there's an old saying in the business: The longer everything goes according to plan, the bigger the impending disaster. And so it was that the dragon and the leader of the orcs caught onto things about halfway through, disengaged, and started gunning for us. Of course, only the naive depend on one strategy, so we resorted to the oldest trick in the book... violence. A few well hidden archers and mages in the treeline later, and the orcs were dead, the bandits scattered, and I had enough dragon's leather to make this lovely little number. Of course..."
    He grins wickedly. "None of that was the hard part. The hard part was convincing the orcs and the bandits to pay half in advance for 'our help.'"

"So! What can I do you for?"

Not much is known about the leader of the Inner Sea's newest up and coming mercenary company, the Trailblazer's League, and as such many rumors swirl around the enigmatic figure that is Christoph Carloman. Some say that he once singlehandedly conned an entire bandit company out of their loot by disguising himself as a woman with fake spectacles and a mustache, and that he once turned the chambers of the Supreme Elect into a giant ball pit. However, given enough time and research, a few commonalities spring up in between the outlandish rumors.

Christoph, if the sources are to be believed, was an orphan of the people's revolt, and as such grew up on the streets of Almas, where he made his living day to day picking pockets and generally stirring up trouble. Under the rough exterior, however, laid a keen mind designed for combat, bound within a highly muscular frame. As such, it is no surprise that when he came of age, he found employment with a now-defunct merchant company, acting as a guard. Where he separated himself from the usual dumb muscle, however, was in his ability for bluffing and fast-talking. In the five years of service he spent there, it is estimated that he not only managed to save no less than twenty different shipments from robbery just by talking his way out of it, but that he managed to rob the would-be bandits blind themselves.

However, boredom begets amibition, and Christoph was not content to remain a simple guard. He had greater dreams, dreams of being remembered forever; and as such, about six years ago, he applied to join the Pathfinder league. However, due to accidentally [CENSORED] one of the daughters of the Decimverate and [CENSORED] with [CENSORED] fangberries [UNBELIEVABLY CENSORED] and a crate of eggplant [SERIOUSLY, KIDS PLAY THIS GAME] with a vat of mud, Christoph was tossed out and an order given that he be banned within setting foot of stepping within 50 miles of Absalom for the rest of his days.

Disheartened and angry, Christoph retreated to Almas to drown his sorrows... until a sentence he'd uttered upon leaving struck him. Why shouldn't he create his own company? After all, how hard could it be?

As it turned out, surprisingly hard, but after five years, profits are higher than ever and his name is on everybody's lips - and not necessarily in a permanently negative light, either. Being possessed of an unnaturally cunning mind, a penchant for sweet-talking his way through difficult situations, a gift for strategy, and the uncanny ability to somehow get paid multiple times for one job, Christoph has gained a reputation as a highly effective, if somewhat flexible regarding 'honorable behavior' and 'the spirit of the law', mercenary and explorer. His company, the Trailblazer's League, providing employment for some of the greatest minds and swordarms with Andoran - and, if it keeps going the way it is, might even overtake the Society one of these years.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-12-30 at 02:20 PM.
    Banner by Ceika

DMing:

The Wellspring Saga: Aurora Tenebrosa (IC OOC)
    The Trailblazer's League 2: Vespertilio Ex Inferis (IC, OOC)

Currently Playing:

Halbrecht (IC 3 OOC 4), Branna (IC OOC), Kriemhilde (IC, OOC)

Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Aurum Draconiaci or: Lord of Manta's first attempt at DMing

Holy cow. Totally attaching that spreadsheet to the back of my maps from now on. Actually, can you give me the measurements for it? I want to just steal the whole thing.

In other news, Guardian is here, speaking in grey
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

In google docs, go to File, then click on Make a Copy. Presto! You now have your very own Pathfinder-compatible DM Kit!
    Banner by Ceika

DMing:

Currently Playing:

Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Mirana signing in. I'll grab teal for her speaking color.

I also don't want to just go and grab all the colors, but if everyone else is alright with it, I'd like to use a different color for when Narami is speaking. Preferably something like golden rod because of how it contrasts nicely with teal.
    My Current Characters:
    Ash d'Oscine in Warriors of Blackvale, Mirana/Narami in Aurum Draconiaci

Currently DM'ing
    Waker's Awakening - OOC, IC, Doc

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

So, is the attacks thing meant to be our bonuses against those, or somewhere that you input an attack made against us?

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

It is where I input attacks made against your soft tender flesh.
    Banner by Ceika

DMing:

Currently Playing:

Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Mantas you forgot to remove "A Rude Awakening" from the completed quest logs after you copied over the sheets from Waker's Awakening. I fixed that for ya though hehe.
    My Current Characters:

Currently DM'ing

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, figured. And already pawned this off to another GM.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Brigitte Lestrade would like to speak in...blue.
    See my Long Signature for games I am currently Playing and DMing
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

'Ello! Auva will speak in dark slate grey.

Only thing that I'd like to point out is that you've got Stray and Auva's campaign traits mixed up in the chart.

...it will be fun to see how the two interact, though...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Whoops, not sure how that happened. Fixed now.
    Banner by Ceika

DMing:

Currently Playing:

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

The Red Shadow is here. The League's enemies were created to meet their makers some day, and this day has finally come. And it came in the royal color of Indigo

EDIT: Question: Does the spell attack also effect class feature like my Prayer Attack?
    Question 2: Crimson Assassin PrC has the Summon Mantis class feature with which it can summon an Advanced Fiendish Giant Mantis, or 1d3 fiendish giant mantises, or 1d4+1 giant mantises as per Summon Monster V. Since Kiriel is not Evil, would you allow that I use the Lawbound Creature template instead of the Fiendish one? It is also +1 CR and it is due to the Lawful alignment.

EDIT2: Just for reference, this is the link to the Lawbound Advanced Giant Mantis summon
    Last edited by skypse; 2015-05-18 at 05:11 AM.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

To answer your questions, yes and yes.

Also: The IC thread is now live! Check the first post for linkage.
    Banner by Ceika

DMing:

Currently Playing:

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

So, I think they changed the Zealot's HD while I wasn't looking. Rerolling my HP now as d10s

(9d10)[7][6][5][6][3][9][2][7][6](51)

Okay, some things we need to cover.
    Guardian's Collective is how he uses most of his abilities. I am able to add the entire party, and a few more people should it be necessary. There are a number of benefits to being in the Collective:
    1. Telepathy with other members
    2. Access to my default stance, Hearts as One. This is a customizable stance (I can change the exact bonuses each turn), but I am defaulting it to a +3 circumstance bonus to AC. The full range of bonuses are 3 chosen from +1 to hit or AC, +2 to damage, or +5ft to move speed. Additionally, while you are in this stance, you can use Aid Another as an Immediate action. Yes, that means off turn.
    3. I can aid you at any range (this is important to me, since my aid another is my recovery mechanism)
    4. Whenever I do aid another, it activates my Zeal bonus. Because of Protection Mission, it gives all of you a +3 Morale bonus to hit and to AC (hit is default, AC is Protection)
    5. I can use Martyrdom to take damage for you, transferring it to myself and possibly spending power points to negate some of it. There's a reason I'm rocking a 20 Con
    6. Echoes of Steel: When I use a maneuver, I can spend power points equal to its level to give a member of my collective access to that maneuver for 1 minute, or until you use it, whichever comes first. You use my Initiator level (10) and modifier (Cha, so +4) when using it, and if I recover it, you lose it.
    7. I can share a teamwork feat with all of you. I have Lookout. This means if any of us can act in a surprise round, we ALL get to act in the surprise round.

So, these are the benefits of the Collective. Because of how substantial they are, Guardian would really not take no for an answer with regards to being added.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    7. I can share a teamwork feat with all of you. I have Lookout. This means if any of us can act in a surprise round, we ALL get to act in the surprise round.
    *double checks wording of Mirana's revelations*

War Sight (Su): Whenever you roll for initiative, you can roll twice and take either result. At 7th level, you can always act in the surprise round, but if you fail to notice the ambush, you act last, regardless of your initiative result (you act in the normal order in following rounds). At 11th level, you can roll for initiative three times and take any one of the results.

(Incidentally Mantas, simply assume that I'll always make both rolls for initiative and will always take the higher result when using this revelation.)

So, these are the benefits of the Collective. Because of how substantial they are, Guardian would really not take no for an answer with regards to being added.
    I dunno, are you suuure you want Narami to have a direct access link to your head?

Actually this brings up the confusion question of whether Mirana and Narami could both theoretically be linked telepathically or not... I'd probably say it should just switch between them for the sake of simplicity though...
    Last edited by Mathemagics; 2015-05-17 at 08:50 PM.
    My Current Characters:

Currently DM'ing

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

See? There is a reason we were assigned to this squad!

Also, how well known is your...condition? If he is aware, Guardian would be prepared for that.

In fact, I think we should all summarize our character's histories, as far as they would have shared.

Guardian is a warrior for justice, serving a being he calls the Singer. He doesn't give a lot of details about the Singer, save that she is a force for redemption, and that she is imprisoned somewhere far away. He makes no secret that he was recovered by Cristoph on an early adventure, and he remembers nothing of his ancient life but faint flickers.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

Ok so for those who are not League Originals: The Red Shadow is an old member of the League. You don't know exactly how old, but you know for sure that he joined earlier than any of you. You rarely see him with others in the same room, although some of you might have noticed him entering Cristoph's office from time to time. You are not sure where the huge scar in his face came from but at the same time you don't know anyone who has asked him to tell you the answer. However you know that he is most loyal to the League and its members and a very trustworthy person. He has a unique set of skills, one difficult to find in Andoran but generally he is perfect at sneaking around and taking down targets without making any noise.

For the League Originals (aka dear Kele): You know Kiriel's name and background. You know that he came to Andoran after escaping the Red Mantis Assassins after he found out their true nature and that the scar in his face was done by his mentor. You know he has trained as a Red Mantis Assassin and he continues his training on his own right now. You hate how he does things since he doesn't believe in any greater good other than that of the Legion's but you have worked with him before and you know that he is respectful and he would never force you see something you wouldn't want to. Also, he doesn't really feel comfortable with being in the collective but he understands the necessity of it. He also dislikes having his name heard without him saying it since Norgorber's followers are not meant to be known to others.

EDIT: Also, Kiriel will have tried to know as much as possible for you when you first joined the League simply because he couldn't trust you back then.
    Last edited by skypse; 2015-05-18 at 02:13 AM.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

18. - Top - End - #18

In fact, I think we should all summarize our character's histories, as far as they would have shared.
    Auva was once a humble peasant who made her way in the world (and into the League) after she was cast out of her village for her strange appearance. Actually, she grew up with a crew of travelling entertainers and eventually set out to perform on her own. Sometimes she likes to point out that she hailed from a noble family, but was disowned due to the manifestation of her shadowy heritage. Or maybe she would have come into her own inheritance, but the call of the road and the tales it might give were too strong. She might also have been the adopted child of an antiques-and-magic-items merchant down in Absalom, and spent too much of her time in the libraries and the company of strangers.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-05-18 at 08:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Skypse, does that mean you want the title used? Red shadow, or something?

Posting on my phone at work, so I can't check.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my, I thought I subscribed to this, but I didn't. Heading to the IC now.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

It's all good.

Anyway, just as a heads up, I try to keep it a tradition to wait for the second DM post until all of the players have made one, but in the event that people would rather get started with the adventure I'll make a post tonight. It may or may not be my best one on account of my shoulder really acting up.
    Banner by Ceika

DMing:

Currently Playing:

Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

You should take a cure light wounds extract for that.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Posting from my phone. Internet is down here and will be for another day or two. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2015-05-18 at 04:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I just found this feat. Are there any plans for after the dragon, presuming we survive?

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

Skypse, does that mean you want the title used? Red shadow, or something?

Posting on my phone at work, so I can't check.
    Red Shadow is the name Kiriel has when he puts on his mask and "initiates" his mission. However you don't need to address me like that. The pronoun game works just fine and I can always give a fake name when someone asks. With the collective, we can all know the fake name Kiriel is using at any given situation.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Oth's post reminded me of something. We need to distinguish between personal thoughts and collective telepathy. I recommend Underlining telepathy. Probably still use the traditional thought italics.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Oth's post reminded me of something. We need to distinguish between personal thoughts and collective telepathy. I recommend Underlining telepathy. Probably still use the traditional thought italics.
    Good idea. How does that work, anyway? Can we read each other's thoughts, or only what we want to share?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I believe it is an active thing. You choose to broadcast the thought.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    You should take a cure light wounds extract for that.
    I went one better and got some naproxen and acupressure massage. Turns out there are benefits to ones family being composed almost entirely of medical professionals. In any case, I now feel much better, meaning that you will certainly get a post tonight - and for me, it means I get to do all the writing I originally had planned.

And to answer your question regarding Dragoncrafting, I had originally planned for that to be the end, it being a short adventure and all that - but, if you were all having enough fun, we could continue this as a sort of sandboxy style game.
    Banner by Ceika

DMing:

Currently Playing:

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Also, given our levels, woud it be generally fair to assume we've all been on at least one mission with the rest of the group? I was going to have Guardian make a joke about a previous mission he was on with Mirana where Narami got out of hand.

Spiker by Oneris

Extended Sig