New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Should this creature be included in MitP II?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 88.89%
  • No

2 11.11%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Charging... 100% [Creature, MitP II]

Some wizards have no respect for the natural order of things, and one of the excellent examples is the Order of Bestial Elementalists. Specializing in genetics and revering the basic components of all magic, they breed and subvert nature's greatest beasts. One of the first species to be heightened in this way is the Thunder Boar. The boar is reddish brown in color and has thin, long bolts of electricity mixed with its neck hair, running backwards along its back and sides, moving in the wind. The tusks of the beast are long and curve completely around, creating a circle when seen from the front. Bending lines across the length of the tusks seem to be made of steel, rather than bone. When such beasts charge, they become veritable dynamos: they become nigh on unstoppable and channel the powerful currents through their bodies.

The boar stares at you and lets out a fierce snort. You hold your gaze and prepare to strike it with your spear. The bolts of electricity arc off of each other and the beast starts charging. You realize that this is not your run of the mill boar. Lines along the tusks tart to glow and spark. As it thunders towards you, the raw energy envelops its entire body. As it crashes into you, you realize why the villagers had been talking about a Thunder Bolt roaming the forest and killing hunters.

Thunder Boar
    Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 3d10+12 (28 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (+1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack / Grapple: +2 / +4
    Attack: Shock Gore +4 melee (1d8+3 + 1d6 electricity)
    Full Attack: Shock Gore +4 melee (1d8+3 + 1d6 electricity)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Ferocity, Lightning Charge (3d6 electricity)
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Resistance from electricity 5
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 4
    Skills: Listen +7, Spot +5
    Feats: Alertness, Toughness
    Environment: Temperate forests
    Organization: Solitary or herd (5-8)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Advancement: 4-5 Hit Dice (Medium)

Lightning Charge (Ex):
    On a successful charge attack, a Thunder Boar does 3d6 additional electricity damage.
    Last edited by Angafirith; 2007-04-21 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Edit that both gives a better description and opens a wider path for me to create more such beasts.
    Tome of Advancement: A wiki of my fairly basic creations. Everything I have posted here (and more) is available on this wiki. Feel free to use anything, as long as you give me credit for it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Charging... 100% [Creature, MitP II]

Oops, nevermind- I see the Electricity Resistance now. (For some reason I was looking for the word "Lightning")

Great monster. I approve.
    Last edited by Eldritch_Ent; 2007-04-12 at 10:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Looks mechanically sound and the concept is good; more fluff please.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-04-13 at 09:49 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I second the request for fluff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

RFF (Request for Fluff) granted.

Additionally, is that Char Aznable I see? Or Zechs?
    Tome of Advancement: A wiki of my fairly basic creations. Everything I have posted here (and more) is available on this wiki. Feel free to use anything, as long as you give me credit for it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

It's Zechs/one of my PbP characters, who is a ripoff of Zechs and Char combined.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'm modifying my fluff a little bit: it still seems somewhat bland to me. Right now, oddly enough, I'm feeling somewhat creative and hope to make some advancements in this regard.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I like the idea of Bestial Elementalists. I am a little wary of the idea that they actually manipulate genetics, given the supernatural nature of the beast.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

It's the scientist in me, I suppose. The man generally called the "father of modern genetics" was, after all, a 19th century monk. Do you think it would read better as "Specializing in animal breeding", rather than genetics?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure, really. It just seems pseudo anachronistic to me. Animal husbandry might be more reasonable, if just as potentially anachronistic or Natural Science / History. I would probably end up rephrasing the sentence to emphasise the combination of natural and supernatural.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

This could be a nasty mount for small characters, if its temperament allows it. Of course, it wouldn't be particularly comfortable...
    Last edited by Ankhor; 2007-04-23 at 03:23 PM.
    Professor Layton may well be fun with large groups of players, but you also have a higher Professor Latency.
    --The worst pun I have ever made

Bringing the magocracy to its knees...
    I seriously hope that you have better things to do than look for white text in people's signatures.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Well, as a DM, I'd probably rule that you would take electricity damage when the thing charges, as the electricity envelops its body. I suppose that the 50 ft. per round movement speed is quite good. Maybe I should add a penalty to trying to ride the thing faster than you would a normal boar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Awesome Creature
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet