New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls X : Thalmor or Less

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Khajiit Speak is the best mod.

Also, it has a line when you go to the college and ask for entry, when you give the smart ass response where you go "This one must become arch mage in two weeks or this one will lose a bet." and that's just pure gold.
    Huh, now I have to play a Khajiit again, just to experience this mod!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Then Dawnguard struck and I was at a point where Serana was mandatory, but couldn't ever keep up with my method of imitating a cliff racer/mountain goat.
    My followers have that problem with me too.

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Khajiit Speak is the best mod.

Also, it has a line when you go to the college and ask for entry, when you give the smart ass response where you go "This one must become arch mage in two weeks or this one will lose a bet." and that's just pure gold.
    XD

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm at level 73 or so on my Dunmer Vampire Ninja Bacon Wizard, so I guess I fall into the 'way too high a level' camp. But I view Skyrim more as an exercise in polishing than a narrative to be completed. I'm basically ready to finish the main quest, I've just been putting it off while I do stuff like find every Standing Stone, collect Barenziah's hat, learn every Thu'um, claim every Daedric artifact, etc. I've been putting off going to Solstheim, should I do that before or after I dispose of Alduin?

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    I'm at level 73 or so on my Dunmer Vampire Ninja Bacon Wizard, so I guess I fall into the 'way too high a level' camp. But I view Skyrim more as an exercise in polishing than a narrative to be completed. I'm basically ready to finish the main quest, I've just been putting it off while I do stuff like find every Standing Stone, collect Barenziah's hat, learn every Thu'um, claim every Daedric artifact, etc. I've been putting off going to Solstheim, should I do that before or after I dispose of Alduin?
    Makes more sense, IMO, if you do it after. Miraak sends the assassins after you after you complete the main quest, so you have a motivation to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Makes more sense, IMO, if you do it after. Miraak sends the assassins after you after you complete the main quest, so you have a motivation to go there.
    He sends them after you very early on in the main quest, but only after you're level 25, pretty sure. I think it's when you go for the horn of Jurgen Windcaller.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    He sends them after you very early on in the main quest, but only after you're level 25, pretty sure. I think it's when you go for the horn of Jurgen Windcaller.
    They're sent after you as soon as you visit the Greybeards the first time. There's no minimum level I've ever run into.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

25 it's guaranteed. there's a small chance of them showing up before then.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    They're sent after you as soon as you visit the Greybeards the first time. There's no minimum level I've ever run into.
    Yep, I invariably encounter them in Ivarstead when I come back down from my first trip up the mountain. May be as early as level 7 or thereabouts.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Yep, I invariably encounter them in Ivarstead when I come back down from my first trip up the mountain.
    Their first attempt to kill me was at my front door to Proudspire Manor when I got up in the morning to do a quest. I was around level 16.

It was kind of funny to step out and there they are, like they're Miraak's Witnesses.
    "Have you accepted the word of Miraak today?"

Just my luck that no one passed by that alcove and saw our fight (and my character's weakness being melee). Guards didn't even show up despite that I FUS-ROH-DAH'd one of the cultists into my neighbor's door. I hid the bodies afterwards, and occasionally you can hear the kids shout "Ah, dead body!" when they're playing tag. Funny thing is when I checked on the kids the first time, they were rummaging through the cultist pockets.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

I find it pretty hilarious that Miraak's cultists are categorically less of a threat than the hired thugs that come after me. Partially is the mod I have that boosts the armor cap to 90%, which wouldn't seem to make much difference, but it really does. Not that crossbows, or magic care in the slightest.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

That's probably the mod then. The cultists were much more of a problem for me than the hired thugs.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So, I picked up Skyrim from the Steam Sale today, and downloaded mostly bugfix mods so far. Are there any Project Nevada-level must-have mods for Skyrim?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    So, I picked up Skyrim from the Steam Sale today, and downloaded mostly bugfix mods so far. Are there any Project Nevada-level must-have mods for Skyrim?
    Definitely grab SkyUI if you haven't already. The regular UI is... workable, but SkyUI is just so much better.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Along with the previously mentioned SkyUI, have you gotten the unofficial patches (1 for the main game and 1 for each DLC)?

At some point, you will likely want Live Another Life so you don't have to play the very long tutorial every time you start a new game.

Immersive Armors and Immersive Weapons add so many options to the game. If you get them, also snag Complete Crafting Overhaul, which makes crafting armor and weapons so much better.

Helgen Reborn is supposed to be really good. I haven't played it, but my wife did and enjoyed it, and it has a lot of good reviews.

Legacy of the Dragonborn is AMAZING, thought I would recommend waiting until it comes out of beta. The author thinks updates can be made without breaking existing games, but is not 100% sure.

Run for Your Lives and When Vampires Attack will keep NPCs alive by having them run away from dragons and vampire attacks in cities. (Novel concept - run away from the fire breathing monster! )

Stones of Barenziah Droppable Plus Quest Markers. Just trust me on this.

Timing is Everything isn't as important as other mods, but is extremely useful.

Weapon and Armor Fixes Remade
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

It is entirely possible - and enjoyable - to play Skyrim with no mods at all.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    It is entirely possible - and enjoyable - to play Skyrim with no mods at all.
    Well, yes. But when you've played the heck out of it on the 360 (which my wife and I both have), mods add a nice change.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

I regret never getting the UI fix. I'm less sure about the bug fixes. They fix some stuff but break other stuff is what I've read. I didn't experience any serious bugs in my massive playthroushould so I'm inclined to think they're unecessary.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I found Skyrim unplayable without the UI fix. I really wish cross-platform programmers would realize how obnoxious a console UI is when you're on a PC. "Why can't I click here? I can move my cursor RIGHT HERE, but when I click HERE it moves to THERE because it assumes I'm using a console despite being loaded on my PC?"
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the most annoying ones was when you're clicking on the sub categories in the inventory. Clicking on the O in ARMOR works, but if you click on the middle of it? WOOPS! You clicked outside of the inventory so clearly you wanted to exit it!

And the strange limitation of Favorited Quick buttons to 8 numbers instead of the obvious 10 that are available.

That's about all really. I got used to it and by the time I learned about the UI fix I was more tempted to just complete the game as entirely Vanilla. Fairly certain I made the wrong decision.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I found Skyrim unplayable without the UI fix. I really wish cross-platform programmers would realize how obnoxious a console UI is when you're on a PC. "Why can't I click here? I can move my cursor RIGHT HERE, but when I click HERE it moves to THERE because it assumes I'm using a console despite being loaded on my PC?"
    Simple UX consult doesn't even cost all that much even for a multimillion-dollar program of work.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    Clicking on the O in ARMOR works, but if you click on the middle of it? WOOPS!
    That happens to me in dialogs, often resulting in the game selecting a choice other than what I wanted.
    I've accidentally flipped off so many Nords. D:
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    That happens to me in dialogs, often resulting in the game selecting a choice other than what I wanted.
    Oh yes this. I ended up getting the dialogue and message box fix mods and life was SO much better after that. I was resistant to getting SkyUI myself at first, because I knew once I started to add mods, it would never end. Well it's technically ended for the most part, now I just keep updated (to a point), but mostly I'm done with anything else. Then again, I've hit my computer's limit on what's still playable and enjoyable, so I'm hovering at about 95-100 mods active. Mostly they're small and I probably could merge a few, but I like having the ability to tweak ONE thing at a time, rather than having to deal with creation kit to turn off/on that ONE thing that I'm kind of iffy about.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Oh, by the Nine, the ****ing dialog! I'd forgotten the dialog!

Console controls suck horribly when you're not limited to a console's controls.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Oh, by the Nine, the ****ing dialog! I'd forgotten the dialog!

Console controls suck horribly when you're not limited to a console's controls.
    +1 this. I've handed over my gold to theives I wanted to kill because of this issue, and it's even worse during dramatic quest dialog when I pick the wrong response. -_- Sure, I can load my last save and do it over, but the drama dies either way.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    +1 this. I've handed over my gold to theives I wanted to kill because of this issue
    You can hit ESC and cancel out of the dialog. Then you can murder to your heart's content! :D

Granted that's not helpful to any other dialog situation...
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

I find this all very odd. I also play on the pc, without any mods (as I mentioned), and have never had any problems with inventory, dialogue or option screens.

I'm destined to be the odd one out on this particular topic, it seems.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I just got Skyrim on the Steam Summer Sale.

I started my first playthough. Upon entering Riverwood, I killed a chicken.

I died almost instantly. In confusion, I looked the Riverwood Chicken up online.

Lesson: Chickens are holy creatures in Skyrim.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I find this all very odd. I also play on the pc, without any mods (as I mentioned), and have never had any problems with inventory, dialogue or option screens.

I'm destined to be the odd one out on this particular topic, it seems.
    Most of the problems come up when I use my mouse to navigate instead of my arrow keys. Which do you use?
    Last edited by Anxe; 2015-06-19 at 01:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Wyrm View Post
    I just got Skyrim on the Steam Summer Sale.

I started my first playthough. Upon entering Riverwood, I killed a chicken.

I died almost instantly. In confusion, I looked the Riverwood Chicken up online.

Lesson: Chickens are holy creatures in Skyrim.
    It's amusing how much video game logic takes over. You wouldn't really think to murder a real-life chicken in full view of its owners while passing through town and expect a bemused glance and an offer of a quest, right?

Apparently in Skyrim everyone's so sick and tired of enforcing laws that even minor theft is looked up on as a capital offense. Just so you know.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    Most of the problems come up when I use my mouse to navigate instead of my arrow keys. Which do you use?
    Both, I guess. I tend to navigate the inventory and magic screens with keys, and dialogue with mouse, perk trees with mouse. No issues with either.