New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Blood points vs pints and feeding

so i recently got into a conversation with a guy and he is saying vampires drain pints instead of points. so any vampire no matter how much blood points they have will die when another bites and drains all 10 pints in 4 rounds.

is this the case or do vampires drain points and they still have to go through the huge pool of blood points that something like a 4th gen might have.

v20 rules.
    Last edited by Bellberith; 2015-05-23 at 01:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Blood points vs pints and feeding

Our STs usually were of the position that for a mortal, it doesn't make much difference, but when draining another Kindred, you did indeed drain points, because more potent Kindred were in part more potent because the amount of dark power they could pack into one human's worth of blood was a lot higher. After all, a vampire is already in more or less perfect control of where the blood in his or her body goes, including when something would try and take it out of them; Kindred stabbed through the gut with a sword will only lose what blood is physically displaced out of their bodies, unless of course they will themselves to bleed out. It's just harder to get the same physical amount of blood out of a more potent vampire.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2015-05-23 at 05:13 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Vampires drain proportionate points, so anything human sized is drained in 4 rounds.

Effectively the game assumes you drain 1/10 of a character's maximum Blood Pool per 'point' unless stated otherwise. So technically your friend is right but it's not how the game talks about it. The exact speed they guzzle is about 1.5l a turn.

EDIT: it is an explicit rule that elder blood is more concentrated, so you can drain 1/10 a point. I believe that this is meant to be maximum value, but I've lent my rulebook to a friend and so can't check.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bellberith View Post
    so i recently got into a conversation with a guy and he is saying vampires drain pints instead of points. so any vampire no matter how much blood points they have will die when another bites and drains all 10 pints in 4 rounds.

is this the case or do vampires drain points and they still have to go through the huge pool of blood points that something like a 4th gen might have.

v20 rules.
    I leant my V20 rules to a friend so I'm not positive but I thought Vampires don't just die when you take all their blood they'll simply frenzy. You need to do more damage or carry on drinking and Diablerize them to finish them
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I leant my V20 rules to a friend so I'm not positive but I thought Vampires don't just die when you take all their blood they'll simply frenzy. You need to do more damage or carry on drinking and Diablerize them to finish them
    Yes, but that is besides the point. The question still stands and ive gotten 2 different answers so far.... To me, RAW says blood points, not pints. But i am wondering if i missed anything.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

As far as I'm aware Vampires drain blood points NOT pints, so draining a 4th Gen will take a long time
    For a human a point pretty much equals a pint anyway and as Vampires usual prey the two terms tend to get mixed up quite a bit
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Also consider those that go the other way... where you have to drain multiple pints to get points (especially if feeding from animals).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bellberith View Post

v20 rules.
    Pints.

A vampire that drains a cow isn't getting 4 points because he's suddenly a much messier eater. He's getting it because cow blood is less nourishing to a vampire than human blood, and all those extra pints he pumps down only allow him nominal relief from his hunger and marginal usefulness. An ST realistically should require at least 6-7 turns of feeding to drain one.

Similarly, an elder or werewolf doesn't technically have any more blood in their system than a human; it's not as if they are physically larger or giving them a papercut will pop them like a water baloon or trigger a high-pressure spigot. The added bp you get from feeding off one comes entirely from the potency of the blood rather than actual physical volume. By extension, draining one should take about as much time as a human, though unlike a human, you've also got to drain health levels in order to properly diablerize an elder.