New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Let's Play: Shantae

Hi, I'm thinking of dong a Let's Play of Shantae by Wayforward. They're a series of "Metroidvania" platformers about a purple-haired genasi in a world that is a mix of Arabian nights fantasy, swashbucking, and a hint of steampunk. The art, writing, music, and gameplay are all phenomenal, and I want to share this fun with others!

But, uh... I've never done this before. How does it work? Do I post links to videos of myself playing the games, or just talk about what I did in them here? What makes hearing some random guy talk about them enjoyable, and how do I be that person?

Also, which game or games should I do? I own all three, so I'm thinking I could just play through them in order. Another thought is to just play the newest one, as I feel it's the best of the three. I'm also considering just playing the second and third ones, since they're the two I've actually finished and are the most narratively-connected (if you haven't noticed, I'm really indecisive. Do NOT do any sort of Magic draft with me if you don't want it to take several hours).

Most importantly, would anyone even be interested in this?
    You can always rely on the kindness of strangeness.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play: Shantae

First, have a moderator move this to the gaming forum.

You can post videos or text. Text tends to make things more approachable as not everyone can watch youtube, and it's probably the more popular format, but I can see how a platformer would benefit from videos.

As for what's enjoyable, that depends. Some people talk about technical aspects, history, development, and function like mini-documentaries. More commonly, some people simply comment about playing the game itself, trivia, lore, and the viewer gets to play along as it were. Some are games by committee, where a team of posters make decisions, but I don't think that applies unless this game is non-linear or there's some kind of variable upgrade system and the like. On the more extreme end, some function by narratively re-writing the game with a new story. As you said the story was amazing however, I'm guessing that isn't preferred here. Any of these can be enjoyable, though some work better depending on the work in question.

In general, unless you're going for something really dry, a bit of humor is usually a good crowd pleaser.