New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw Five: Polymath

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    Sorry bro. Originally I was hoping you would do some photo-realistic stuff, but I guess maybe I misunderstood what your goals were. When you said "renaissance man" I assumed you meant this, not this. I asked the clarifying question last instead of first, my bad.

Do you actually want to actually draw and publish your own comic then too, or just have the ability?
    I've never been a fan of photo realistic art. My ideal style is the intersection of this and this, with capability ranging to this.

What I really want to get above all, and this is my big medium term goal, is the ability to do effective character design. I want to be able to express personality and backstory visually. Photorealistic painting might come when I'm retired, maybe; for now I just want to be able to express myself visually.

I have no intentions of doing a comic right now but I'd like to have the capability for it.

2. - Top - End - #302

Day 1706: Brush Scope

Tried out more of that brush I used the other day. It doesn't do what I want it to do, but it's within the ballpark so I'm going to tweak it a bunch and see if anything sticks

Links

3. - Top - End - #303

Day 1708: The Disappointments

The Emperor of Man, Lorgar and Magnus.

The more Horus Heresy books I read the more I get this image of the Emperor as a big muscled autistic trucker who is also the worst dad of all time. All the Loyalist primarchs are the ones who have people skills as bad as he does.

Links

4. - Top - End - #304
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The more Horus Heresy books I read the more I get this image of the Emperor as a big muscled autistic trucker who is also the worst dad of all time. All the Loyalist primarchs are the ones who have people skills as bad as he does.
    For some reason that reminded me of the Android 13 episode from Team Four Star, with the trucker hat jokes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Day 1708: The Disappointments

The Emperor of Man, Lorgar and Magnus.

Links
    Well yeah. When your universe's basic premise is that people who explore, question, and try to figure stuff out get possessed by demons and start wrecking the place, you're not gonna get much in the way of independent thought or enlightened leadership.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

If you have the time, may I recommend spending 30 minutes doing a black and white drawing of this?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Well yeah. When your universe's basic premise is that people who explore, question, and try to figure stuff out get possessed by demons and start wrecking the place, you're not gonna get much in the way of independent thought or enlightened leadership.
    It's not even that, it's that he just needed to give Logar like, one hug and everything would have been different.

I'm very much a fan of Logar and Magnus because they're the two dudes who are actually thoughtful, intelligent philosophers who are 'maybe we shouldn't be fascist butchers' and the Emperor comes down on them so hard for it.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground

Architecture sounds like a good start. I would recommend working on anatomy, figure drawing and realism too, even if that's not the goal. It might be helpful in the long run...

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Architecture sounds like a good start. I would recommend working on anatomy, figure drawing and realism too, even if that's not the goal. It might be helpful in the long run...
    This.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

10. - Top - End - #310

Day 1711: Clothes Hasselhorse

I'm trying out painting combinations like the man tries out clothes.

Links

11. - Top - End - #311

Links
    It's like he's wearing the circus.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Day 1711: Clothes Hasselhorse

Links
    I might hate his stupid face, but you can't deny the man has styles for miles.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like he's wearing the circus.
    Haha! In Imperial Germany, circus wear you!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Man, I am just so sad that men don't dress like that any more. Nowadays it's all suits and ties and black. Men don't wear makeup and ostentatious feathered hats and suits constructed by abstract tailors.

Day 1712: The Other Bad Sons

I've decided I want to finish this! It's going to be a big-ass 20 character lineup but, gosh, these Primarchs are fun to draw as ordinary scrubs.

I fricking nailed Gulliman.

Links

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    But I think he's gorgeous!

Man, I am just so sad that men don't dress like that any more. Nowadays it's all suits and ties and black. Men don't wear makeup and ostentatious feathered hats and suits constructed by abstract tailors.
    Yep. Times I've seen people take female characters' clothes, put them on male characters, and say "See how ridiculous he looks? That's why we shouldn't have female characters wearing those clothes!" From casual observation, we give less freedom on male fashion compared to female fashion - not getting into detail, since I'm not a man.
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-02-02 at 10:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Nowadays it's all suits and ties and black.
    Hey, suits don't have to be black. See Don Cherry, a Canadian icon, for some rather outlandish examples.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    From casual observation, we give less freedom on male fashion compared to female fashion
    I can see that. Men's styles tend to look very same-y, with the main differences being in colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Hey, suits don't have to be black. See Don Cherry, a Canadian icon, for some rather outlandish examples.
    Now that is someone who ain't afraid to style.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Yep. Times I've seen people take female characters' clothes, put them on male characters, and say "See how ridiculous he looks? That's why we shouldn't have female characters wearing those clothes!" From casual observation, we give less freedom on male fashion compared to female fashion - not getting into detail, since I'm not a man.
    Look at these guys. Look at them! This culture knew how to dress. How did we let that get away from us? Who cares if they look ridiculous if they look that damn dap?

Yeah but you think of him as a weirdo for dressing like that. And more to the point, custom garments like that are rare and expensive and, depending on the workplace, inappropriate for work environments. And even worse any variation on a suit is the same triangles-and-squares set of shapes which is almost as dull as the drab colours.

18. - Top - End - #318

Day 1714: Feelin' Feelin'

Horus as a greaser just feels right.

Man my schedule is still all over the fricking place, man. I am counting the days until my month off when I can just, you know, settle things down.

Links

19. - Top - End - #319

Day 1715: Policy Change

Okay, if this week has a takeaway it's that I can't sustain my ideal art balance because I just don't have the time. Between household maintenance, cooking, socialization, work, transport and recreation I can't quite find the space for the ideal 1-2 hour art jams that really take me into it. I can do 15-20 minutes usually but that's barely warmup time and I feel kind of like cheating for that. So, I need to monetize a new piece of time that's just become available - the bus ride. Busing has cut about an hour out of my day, hence this scheduling drama, and I reckon my biggest step forward artistically is going to be learning to sketch while on a rattling, shaking in-motion bus. Next payday I'm gonna look into getting a cute little pocket sketchpad and turning that empty time into something more productive. Hopefully it works!

Did more work on the primarchs picture, nothing major yet.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Bugbear in the Playground

That sounds great, man. I wish I had an hour bus ride with no distractions. In addition to the cooking/cleaning/40-hour-job, I got got kids. The commute to work is driving, so it's eyes on the road for me.... but speaking of sketchbooks; I got some empty sketchbooks that I need to fill. Game on!!

21. - Top - End - #321

In addition to the cooking/cleaning/40-hour-job, I got got kids. The commute to work is driving, so it's eyes on the road for me....
    Same here! There aren't enough hours in the day to do what I'd like to do after doing what I need to do. somehow we just have to stretch space-time to make it happen.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah but you think of him as a weirdo for dressing like that. And more to the point, custom garments like that are rare and expensive and, depending on the workplace, inappropriate for work environments. And even worse any variation on a suit is the same triangles-and-squares set of shapes which is almost as dull as the drab colours.
    Naa, he's high status enough to just be eccentric. But yeah, bespoke suits aren't going to work for many.

Maybe we can nationalize his closet though...

Okay, if this week has a takeaway it's that I can't sustain my ideal art balance because I just don't have the time. Between household maintenance, cooking, socialization, work, transport and recreation I can't quite find the space for the ideal 1-2 hour art jams that really take me into it. I can do 15-20 minutes usually but that's barely warmup time and I feel kind of like cheating for that. So, I need to monetize a new piece of time that's just become available - the bus ride. Busing has cut about an hour out of my day, hence this scheduling drama, and I reckon my biggest step forward artistically is going to be learning to sketch while on a rattling, shaking in-motion bus. Next payday I'm gonna look into getting a cute little pocket sketchpad and turning that empty time into something more productive. Hopefully it works!
    Hopefully that works out for you. I tried drawing on my way to/from work back in the first year, but I found it far too distracting and it lowered productivity/quality dramatically. There's just too much other stuff to look at on public transit.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Did more work on the primarchs picture, nothing major yet.
    Good luck, man. I know all too well how commutes can wreck your free time, and I hope you can find something that works for you.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

24. - Top - End - #324

So the good news is bus sketching works great for me! It's great that it does because XCOM2 came out and that's like saying 'heroin 2 came out' as far as my productivity is concerned.

25. - Top - End - #325

Well, you really should not be making lines with XCOM2 for snorting.

But it's good that you're productive on the bus rides.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Well, you really should not be making lines with XCOM2 for snorting.

But it's good that you're productive on the bus rides.
    Based on my steam notifications and my own time distribution the last couple days, I think snorting XCOM2 is an apt description, myself.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

So the good news is bus sketching works great for me! It's great that it does because XCOM2 came out and that's like saying 'heroin 2 came out' as far as my productivity is concerned.
    Ah, good to hear that it works for you. That said, did you ever consider commute time when you were selecting your house?

Based on my steam notifications and my own time distribution the last couple days, I think snorting XCOM2 is an apt description, myself.
    You're hanging with the wrong crowd obviously. Didn't your parents ever tell you anything about that?

Seriously though, I find it very bizarre that not a single person on my friends list even owns the game considering how hyped people are about it. They apparently never got by the XCOM:EU gateway phase.

28. - Top - End - #328

Seriously though, I find it very bizarre that not a single person on my friends list even owns the game considering how hyped people are about it. They apparently never got by the XCOM:EU gateway phase.
    I've never played an XCOM game. Ever. I only recently seen an hours worth of Enemy Within streamed and totally want to try that one now. So I'm pretty hyped at looking forward to playing XCOM2 in 5 years.

I kid you not, that is the average length of years between when a game comes out and when I get a copy to play.

That said, did you ever consider commute time when you were selecting your house?
    I have to consider it for my hunt. Unfortunately I've been searching since July and nothing yet.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2016-02-07 at 04:24 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #329

Ah, good to hear that it works for you. That said, did you ever consider commute time when you were selecting your house?
    Nah I just lucked out. Also in Canberra everything is 15 minutes from everything else.

Day 1721: That's All Sorted

I didn't play XCOM2 today! One achievement at a time!

Sorted out a bunch of stuff instead. Put through all the insurance stuff for the storm. Did a thorough clean. Scrounged all my leftovers into something delicious. Watched some Knights of Sidonia - very good! The things you can accomplish when XCOM isn't eating your life!

From time to time when bus sketching if I make something I like I tear it from the sketchbook and give it to the person I drew. While this is cool and good karma and all that it's not doing great things for the upload policy.

Links

30. - Top - End - #330

Day 1725: Break Through!

I am filled with ~determination~

This is exactly why 'every day, no excuses' is such a good rule. If I put it off, just once, that could well be the end of the journey. But doing something each day stops it drifting from my mind even when I'm busy and panicky with all this life stuff.

I reckon I'm done with XCOM2 for now. 60 hours is about what I expected to put into it in the first week. I'm going to recalibrate towards creative pursuits again.

Links