New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Could a dragon take the dragon shaman class?

Right what it says on the tin. I think it would be interesting from a roleplaying stand point. Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Could a dragon take the dragon shaman class?

Quote Originally Posted by walfulninja View Post
    Right what it says on the tin. I think it would be interesting from a roleplaying stand point. Any thoughts?
    Yep. As a base class, it has no requirements. You could even devote yourself to another type of dragon than your own, but that's questionable from a fluff perspective, imo.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well, some base classes do have requirements, like the non-lawful on barbarians. And dragon shamans are required to be close to the alignment of their patron dragon. But that's easy enough to meet.
    You could even devote yourself to another type of dragon than your own, but that's questionable from a fluff perspective, imo.
    Actually, that seems to me to make more fluff sense, not less. I can see, say, a silver dragon aspiring to be like a gold dragon a lot more easily than I can see one aspiring to be like a silver dragon.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

IIRC no race restriction on Dragon Shaman. It's Dragon Disciple that "tries to become a dragon" and has the non-dragon type restriction.
    "But what of those to whom life is not an ocean, and man-made laws are not sand-towers ... What of the cripple who hates dancers? What of the ox who loves his yoke and deems the elk and deer of the forest stray and vagrant things? ... What shall I say of these save that they too stand in the sunlight, but with their backs to the sun? They see only their shadows, and their shadows are their laws. And what is the sun to them but a caster of shadows?"
    —Kahlil Gibran
    (avatar ibid)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    As a base class, it has no requirements.
    Some base classes - Dragon Shaman included - have alignment requirement

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Some base classes - Dragon Shaman included - have alignment requirement
    Right, I forgot that. You can still be any alignment if you're a dragon shaman, though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Well, some base classes do have requirements, like the non-lawful on barbarians. And dragon shamans are required to be close to the alignment of their patron dragon. But that's easy enough to meet.

Actually, that seems to me to make more fluff sense, not less. I can see, say, a silver dragon aspiring to be like a gold dragon a lot more easily than I can see one aspiring to be like a silver dragon.
    What about a blue dragon adopted and raised by gold dragons, trying to become like mom and dad?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dunno, the silver dragon being a silver dragon shaman could work, it'd be like those 5th generation immigrants who suddenly get all into their cultural heritage and start taking on affectations. I bet they'd be really annoying to other silver dragons though, always talking about how they have to only do "traditionally silver" things.

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    I dunno, the silver dragon being a silver dragon shaman could work, it'd be like those 5th generation immigrants who suddenly get all into their cultural heritage and start taking on affectations. I bet they'd be really annoying to other silver dragons though, always talking about how they have to only do "traditionally silver" things.
    I could also see it from a "personal investment in my inherent power" standpoint. They see mortals devoting themselves to the power of dragons, and gaining these ethereal, aura-like powers, and thinking 'You know... I don't really appreciate the majesty of Me...' and delving into their own raw potential.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    I could also see it from a "personal investment in my inherent power" standpoint. They see mortals devoting themselves to the power of dragons, and gaining these ethereal, aura-like powers, and thinking 'You know... I don't really appreciate the majesty of Me...' and delving into their own raw potential.
    So, the dragon becomes a dragon shaman because it's a giant narcissist / egotist? You can't say that goes against classic dragon personality at least.

Actually, I have a half-dragon BBEG I need to build, it'll be a while before the PCs meet it. One idea I was bouncing around was giving it levels in dragon shaman to make it more dragon-ey. But it's half-shadow dragon, and I didn't see an easy way to swap out the other metallic or chromatic totems for shadow.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sure they can,they just call it the Shaman class though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    So, the dragon becomes a dragon shaman because it's a giant narcissist / egotist? You can't say that goes against classic dragon personality at least.
    "Every day I aspire to be more like myself."
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

They could, but it's pretty much a terrible class so it's not a good idea!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

It's a terrible class for you or me, mostly because of a lack of active abilities. It might not be so terrible for a dragon, though, which is already a melee brute, with a relevant breath weapon, and possibly spells.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a terrible class for you or me, mostly because of a lack of active abilities. It might not be so terrible for a dragon, though, which is already a melee brute, with a relevant breath weapon, and possibly spells.
    It's even worse for a dragon, who definitely has better things to do with it's time.

16. - Top - End - #16

Although, if you gesalted a dragon turtle with a dragon shaman, then advanced it up to 19 HD, it'd have wings.