New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1397
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Aegis Tristalt In-Character Mk. II

"Trasil... before her transformation, she was obsessed with undeath and decay to the point she'd trained as a Walker in the Waste. Basically an embodiment of all the life-hostile properties of a desert. They're not necessarily evil - but even the best of them aren't exactly fans of concepts like 'fertile land' and 'life'. 'Indiscriminate decay' isn't an evil concept, but it's still not something you want too much of.

Whether or not she's a danger to the rest of the world ultimately rests on a single question - 'Now that she's achieved what she dreamed of for so long, if she content to keep it to herself, or will she eventually try to 'share her gift' with everyone else?'. And I honestly don't know the answer. Especially because what would be a 'no' now, could easily be a 'yes, let's spread that desert!' 10 years from now.

That said... again, those are all long-term worries. What Kasha made herself into isn't going to be a problem unless and until we save the world.
    "

Then she responds to Sahael. "What facade? I got a few brief moments when I wasn't thinking of the big picture - and therefore didn't need to worry about it. Aaand now you've reminded me. Ruined moment, indeed..."

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

In contemplation, Sahael rolls his head from one shoulder to the other with a series of grinding pops, almost like gears disagreeing as something is forcibly slotted in, and then sighs. "You have a point regarding Kasha. Her personality is at risk of shifting in an unpleasant direction in the long-term. We need to maintain her mental health... just as we need to maintain yours. That means not pushing her further away than she has already drifted of her own accord, and not letting stress erode you. Even if you can bear it for now, it would be better if you didn't have to. The side effects always show up faster than one would expect, and it is very easy to be in denial about it. But mostly, I just don't want you to suffer at all."

He thinks for a moment, then grins smugly. "If you'd like to hear some happier news, I figured out Hypercognition, so I can answer rather difficult questions. Alsoooo, I've got all our Planar Travel needs covered..." He adds in a loud faux whisper, as if excitedly sharing a secret. "ZERO MARGIN OF ERROR."

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Kasha enters the chamber with Ajat at her side, the group now reassembled. The Reth Dekala stands before you, the slimmer one still hanging from the ceiling.

"You may choose to proceed further, though you have bested the trials of the temple, and gained your secrets. From here, you may choose to leave, or you may choose to proceed deeper and meet the keeper of the temple if you so wish. The rules of the trials remain, if you use magic, the guardians of the temple will seek to kill you, but know you've been recognized as true seekers of the sublime way, and are in no immediate danger.

If you should choose to seek and speak with the keeper, please be sure to use proper respect."

Spoiler: Level Up!
    Show
    Completing the trials of the temple have provided you sufficient experience to gain a level. I'll update specific XP numbers once I manage to locate the most recent XP for each of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Yay, I get to spend even longer being the tag-along." A rather theatrical sigh, followed with a wistful, "Seriously, this is the worst place to be the group wizard. Alright, if everyone's ready, might as well get this over with..."

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

"I am pleased you all made it through your trials." She smiles. Maybe. It's hard to tell, with the stretched-tight mummy skin, "I hope they weren't too trying. I feel the sting of those restrictions too, Renia. But I am sure we will be out soon. I am prepared to continue."

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

Trasil listens to Renia's words. "Perhaps you're right." he says as he leans against one of the walls, a troubled expression on his face.

When Kasha walks into the room, his expression darkens for a moment, but that vanishes quick enough that (hopefully) nobody notices.

"Well, I suppose the next thing to do is to visit the keeper of the temple. If we're lucky, this won't turn to combat. Hopefully."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yay! Level 15! Say hello to Maximize Spell! Though I can't use it right now...
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's nice to be reunited. I dont know what I would've done if I'd felt one of you die.

Let's move on. Renia, you are best equipped to speak on our behalf at the moment, what with altering my skills for combat."

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You proceed onward, the Reth Dekala fading into obscurity in the darkness behind you. The path winds onward for a long distance, the veins of magma pulse, still with some strange anxious energy, giving you the strange feeling like the temple itself may be alive with some kind of life force.

After a long ways, you come to the entrance of a large chamber, lava drips down from the ceiling onto obsidian stalagmites dotted around the huge room. In the center of this room is an enormous pile of gold, silver, weapons, art, and riches. On it lays a massive scaled beast. Magma courses its way across its scales. It exhales rhythmically, as if sleeping. It's eyes seem crusted over as if it hasn't been disturbed in a great deal of time. An Ancient Pyroclastic Dragon lays on its hoard before you.

The room shows no marks of battle, and there are no bones of fallen victims here. Beyond the dragon is a door leading even yet further into the heart of the temple.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha waits for Renia to speak. She has been tolerated here so far, even animated by magic, but no need to push it.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Look at the dragon.

Look at the others.

Look at the dragon again.

..."Let's just go around, shall we? If the door won't open without us fighting the thing, it won't matter which direction we do it from. If the door's not locked, well, we're not that desperate to kill the thing, are we?"

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ogre in the Playground

"It doesn't look like anyone has fought this being, because one is not supposed to. They said to speak with the keeper."

Sense Motive (1d20+34)[38] to Assess Opponent
    Spot (1d20+39)[56]
    Listen [1d20+31[/roll]
    Last edited by General Patton; 2018-03-04 at 02:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Listen (1d20+31)[43]

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Viewing the mighty creature before you, you realize it would be a very dangerous endeavor to engage it in combat. (Dire Threat)

Looking through the room, you do note that this particular dragon seems to be more lean than what one would expect, it has sinewy and extremely well defined muscles. It's possible that this dragon may be more nimble than typical specimens of the dragon race.

You also note that based on the marks on the walls of the chamber it seems the magma flow through the veins and throughout this dragon's scales haven't always been where they are. Perhaps this being can alter those flows for some purpose.

You listen closely, and you hear the dragon breathing steadily. It seems to be resting peacefully in a deep slumber. You also hear the faintest sound of some kind of gnashing emanating from further within the temple.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Realizing that Renia is not ready for something terrifying like this, Sahael decides to step forward, despite his temporarily reduced conversational skills.

Knowledge (History) (1d20+31)[50]
    Martial Lore (1d20+14)[20]

Mustering the most respectful traditional martial artist's bow he knows of, he whispers to the others to follow his lead.

He raises his voice towards the Dragon, speaking in Draconic, trying to tune the volume to its superb senses so as to be attention-grabbing but not obnoxious. "Oh great Keeper of the Sublime Way! We have each passed one path of the trials! What wise words would you share with us?"

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Renia, who would have been quite amused by Sahael's reasoning if she'd heard it (She's got a Paladin's fear immunity and a stupidly high will save against anything that can pierce the immunity), nevertheless leaves Sahael to approach the dragon. Mainly because they don't have the best of records in attempting dual conversations... So, instead, she'll do as she suggested, heading around the edge of the chamber to get a look at the exit door. No point disturbing the Dragon if they didn't need to, right?

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sahael approaches the restful dragon and announces his presence.

Spoiler: History
    Show
    You recall only a single story of a pyroclastic that could coincide with this creature's age. Most of the records are lost or distorted, but apparently it granted a hero of a small land an incredible skill that allowed him to rescue a princess from a vile wizard and become elevated as royalty. This skill is theorized to have made him able to turn any magic against its user, but the evidence for such a determination is shaky at best.

Spoiler: Martial Lore
    Show
    You recognize this creature is skilled in the Sublime Way, but isn't currently utilizing any maneuvers or stances.

The dragons head is tilted so that the only eye visible to you slowly opens; the fiery red of its iris intensified by the deep black void of its slit pupil. The pupil widens slightly as you announce your success to the dragon. Its arms move to support its head as it continues to lay peacefully on the treasure pile serving as its bed. The veins of magma pulsate more rapidly as the creature awakens and you notice the pulse of the magma veins of the temple increase slightly as well, though not a perfect match for the veins on this creature's body.

Its head slowly lifts and its arms stretch out, razor claws extending as if the dragon is waking from a many year long nap. "Visitors! It has been many centuries since any dared attempt to visit the lord of volcano or requested my boons. If one wishes for my favors, one must offer tribute. What does one offer to lord of the volcano, Veritas?"

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha studies the dragon and its hoard.

Spoiler
    Show

Know: History (1d20+14)[17]
    Know: Arcana (1d20+26)[41]
    Int check (?) for what kind of items the dragon seems to favor (1d20+7)[26]
    Lore: (1d20)[2] for info about this dragon and particularly what kind of things would make for an auspicious offering. (This should be +10, for a total of 12)

Last edited by Silver Night; 2018-04-09 at 12:14 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Kasha's results:
    History: You don't recall anything regarding a Pyroclastic Dragon in this area, it's unclear why it's even on the material plane.

Arcana: Pyroclastic dragons are the embodiment of fire, earth, magma and the elemental forces that shape continents. They come from the Bleak Eternity of Gehenna, and are typically incapable of moving between planes under their own power. (You know from your planar knowledge that Gehenna is an infinite expanse of volcanic wasteland, with constant eruptions and an endless flow of infernal lava, making it especially peculiar that the magma in this temple is infused with divine energy)

Pyroclastic dragons are almost always some degree of Evil and usually capable of incredible destruction between their intensely loud, fiery breath attacks and array of fiery spell-like capabilities. While they often have a taste for meat, they can also live entirely off minerals and metals.

Int check: The hoard appears to consist of gold, silver, copper, masterfully crafted artworks (including pottery, goblets, portraits and similar), and mundane weapons crafted with the highest skill. You actually recognize the appearance of one of the weapons as a magical spear used by a villain of old called the Death Spike (MiC 50) which could steal the life force of victims it killed to temporarily empower its wielder, but it appears to be mundane now. You feel there could be more going on with what the dragon might appreciate than simply well crafted objects.

Lore: Based on your understanding of the situation, you conclude the dragon might be interested in a powerful magic item with some importance to history. But it's possible other things might appease its desire for offerings as well.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mighty Veritas, I make this offering, not for myself, but on behalf of my companions. I would rather they receive your boons in my stead."

Sahael offers up 50000 GP.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The dragon's eye slowly shifts to focus on the gold briefly before returning to the being addressing it. "Very well. What boon would you bequeath to your companions?" The dragon doesn't seem impressed, but neither is it displeased.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

"I would not exert my will upon them. They can decide where improvement is most needed."

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The dragon's eye slowly shifts and looks each of the party members up and down. "Well then?" she inquires, seemingly expecting you each to either request something or offer more to her.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Renia says nothing... but takes a long look at the Dragon... and at her companions... and then gives Trasil a none-too-subtle shove forwards. This was his side-trip, after all. And whatever the Dragon could offer was likely more use to him than to her or Kasha...

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ogre in the Playground

Trasil stumbles forward from Renia's shove, then glares back at her for a moment before turning back to face the dragon.

"Powerful Veritas, your scaliness, I ask of you an improvement to my fighting capabilities. Specifically, I wish for greater control over combat teleportation, to be able to use it swifter and more effectively.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Asking for the feat Dimensional Dervish, which would allow me to teleport up to an enemy and use Spell combat in the same turn, where usually I'd have to wait until the next turn to zap.

Extended Signature

Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Then I shall share with you the lost techniques of teleporting warriors of old. Come, know your true potential."

The dragons front claw slowly extends towards you, and Veritas' eyes begin to glow with a divine energy. The pulsating magma veins glow stronger as the tip of one claw comes to rest on Trasil's forehead and energy flows briefly from the enormous beat into Trasil's form and then into his blade.

Spoiler: Gains
    Show
    The dragon imparts on you multiple abilities:
    You gain:
    Shadow Jaunt
    Shadow Stride
    Shadow Blink
    ...as described in Tome of Battle (in summary, they are 50ft Ex teleport maneuvers, Jaunt uses a standard, Stride a move, and Blink a swift action to use). These maneuvers are refreshed at the beginning of each combat or if you spend 5 minutes focusing your energy (much like Kasha's inspiration points or other maneuvers), unless you have initiator levels currently, in which case you use that refresh mechanic.

The dragon gives you the feat Dimensional Dervish.
    Lastly the dragon gives you the ability "Shadowpounce" as described in Unapproachable East (see Telflammar Shadowlord prestige class). Anytime you use a spell or ability with [teleport] descriptor, you may make a full attack from the position you to teleport to at no action cost.

I know this has some overlap with your current teleport warrior build, so if you wish to retrain some feats as a result of this gain, that's fine and can occur as part of this. This should give you some huge burst potential letting you make 3 full attacks on your opening round if you want.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Trasil's eyes widen as the information fills his mind, techniques long forgotten and maneuvers of yore settling themselves in his martial repertoire.

When the process is done, he bows, backs up, and nods encouragingly to the others.
    Extended Signature

Show

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

With Trasil's reward dispensed, Renia had a quick mental tug-of-war about whether she wanted to pick up another combat technique or go on to the next chamber. 'Get on with it' won.

"Elder Veritas... while Trasil wanted to come here to face the Martial Trials, Sahael, Kasha and myself had a different motive for entering. As a side effect of a quest in which we're engaged, we've been hunting a series of creatures from the Far Realms. And we have reason to believe that the next such creature is in the chamber beyond this one. Is that ...abomination... intended to be part of the trials?"

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Veritas' head rears up slowly, and shifts around to scan the room "Oh, I guess that explains the present lack of attendants. It is not a part of the trials, you are welcome to use the fullest extent of your abilities either magical or mundane to get rid of the thing."

Based on your keen abilities to read between the lines, you can deduce that while some dragons are attended by kobolds with cult-like devotion, this dragon may have at some point had similar kreshin followers. Though the dragon doesn't seem to mind the lack of attendants, it may be an opportunity for bartering for additional favors, though the value of such an act in the dragon's mind is unclear.

Alternatively, it may be possible to convince her to help you kill it.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2018-06-07 at 11:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael begins removing his armor. "I have decided that I am in desperate need of improvement"

He places his armor and shield before the Dragon. "I desire the ability to defend myself without material aid, and rule the battlefield with terror, no matter what sort of abomination I face."

Spoiler: Updated Wish List
    Show
    I'd like to get Int Mod added to AC, possibly with armor/shield restrictions. As long as I can still wear +1 Clothing with other effects added on.

The main things I'm interested in, in terms of Feats/Maneuvers, are
    Black Seraph's Glare
    and
    Black Seraph Annihilation

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The dragon's head slowly shifts back to its original position. The one visible eye shifts to view the armor more closely. "You wish to defend and destroy using only your mind and you already possess the great mental energy necessary. You seem to have the capability to manifest your mental power as well. You seek to blend this with martial gifts?" The dragon thinks momentarily the slit pupil of its eye shifting in width as the creature thinks. "Very well."

The dragon reaches out a claw and touches your forehead.

Spoiler: Boon
    Show
    Black Seraph Glare
    Black Seraph Annihilation
    and:

Protective Thoughts
    5th level stance
    action/manifesting time: swift
    Duration: as stances
    Target: personal (see text)
    Power Points: 9

While in this stance you gain an insight bonus to AC equal to your Intelligence modifier, and gain a greater ability to protect your allies from harm.
    Once per round as a free action and during your turn, you may choose to divide the bonuses granted by this stance and apply it as you see fit between yourself and any being in your collective. (E.g. Give Trasil +10, and give the necropolitan +6 randomly or what have you)

You can't gain AC bonus from armor while in this stance.

Augment: For an additional 4 power points you can gain an insight bonus equal to your Int mod to a specific save of choice (Fort, Will, Ref)
    For an additional 4 power points you can gain an insight bonus equal to your Int mod to spell resistance
    For an additional 1 power point you can gain temporary HP equal to your Int mod, these can also be split among your collective as you see fit
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2018-07-02 at 10:22 PM.