New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Aegis Tristalt In-Character Mk. II

"To have feelings is not childish, and at no point will you find me saying so. To be ruled by your feelings even against the dictates of your own better judgement is.

Quite literally so - the ability to separate desire from action is a skill that most master during childhood. I'll admit, I've yet to meet anyone - myself definitely included - that has self-control enough to act rationally in every situation. But you should be able to do better than walking into oblivion against both your own judgement and the desires of the person held hostage simply because you 'care too much' for someone you barely know.

And if you cannot, then I suggest you start practising, soon. Because it could well be the case that we cannot risk letting you continue to exist if you cannot control yourself.
    "
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-07-04 at 09:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have lived, both with and without powers, for nearly an entire human lifespan. I know fairly well how to maintain the balance of rationality and emotion. It is only the repeated failures, the exponentially increasing stakes, and the presence of my nemesis that has recently knocked me out of balance. You are right about us barely knowing each other. Otherwise you'd have established a baseline to compare my present state to, and would realize this isn't quite normal.

You've given me enough to think about. It's up to me to spend the next 8 hours sifting through all my memories and every persona I've had in order to reinvent myself, again. For now, let's address something more useful. What do you know about self-fulfilling prophecies? Mento's actions sparked my rise to power. If self-fulfilling prophecies are especially stubborn about coming true, and that's what we're dealing with, then it may be necessary for Mento to change up his strategy and come at this laterally by getting us involved. I don't know if we can convince him of this, but it would certainly help if there was already a body of work on the subject."

Knowledge (Psionics) (1d20+25)[27] and Knowledge (History) (1d20+28)[48] for knowing about the subject of self-fulfilling prophecies and how that situation tends to pan out.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Kn checks
    Show
    Prophecy is extremely rare. The most common result of a prophetic vision is simply misinterpretation. Seeing a possible future is a bizarre thing, and difficult to interpret precisely. Some are more clear cut than others, though interpreting one even decently is even rarer than the gift itself.

Most prophecies deal with individuals or relatively minor events, as most gifted with prophecy simply lack the power to see the future on a grand enough scale to foresee something as drastic as an apocalyptic event.

Those you do know about, and what you know from your innate understanding of psionic secrets, is that a true prophecy is very likely to come to pass if it is not acted against in some means by those aware of it. However, the future is never set in stone, it is, theoretically, always possible to achieve a different outcome, although not always successful. Whether or not the unsuccessful attempts were because said prophecies were self-fulfilling is a philosophical question more so than a logical one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I have to admit I've little experience on that point. I've had some divinations training, but that's mostly around things like clairvoyance or detecting intentions or deceptions. Most diviners don't actually get to do much in the way of prophecy..."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael divulges everything he knows on the subject, and then without much left to discuss opts to let everyone get some rest.

Come morning, once he is done ruminating on his long troubled life, a change has overcome him. He seems much more at peace, with a faint smile. "If we are to fight fate, we must take the path of most resistance, turning aside what is probable for that which no one could predict. As much as I hate to say it, we should cooperate with Mento. Making myself available for his plans, and pooling our colossal intellects, we can enact alternative courses of action that wouldn't have been practical before. We can't be certain that he hasn't misinterpreted things. My part in all this may actually be a failure to prevent the end, and on that basis, I think we can convince him to try other things first, even returning to the stasis plan if need be."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Trasil smiles, obviously pleased that there would be no more in-group conflict on the matter... Hopefully.

Well, I'm glad we made a decision.
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"True, it's always hard on the kids when mommy and daddy fight. Alright, I'm going back into town to make contact with Mento. For 'kill-on-sight' reasons, Sahael should stay here until Mento's agreed to a meeting. Trasil, Kasha, would you rather come with me or keep Sahael company?"
    Last edited by whoiam; 2015-07-11 at 03:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hold on. I've got this wand of Sending. We might as well begin negotiations from a position of safety." Sahael proffers the implement of communication.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Well, Sending only works with targets you're familiar with. It'd probably work for you but it's worthless to the rest of us. So, it comes down to this: Is his response going to be better if contact is first made by me, or by you?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael manifests some of his usual precautions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everything is overchanneled because free healing.
    Empathy for 13 hours = 3pp
    Shared Detect Hostile Intent on everyone for 130 minutes = 8pp
    Shared Adapt Body on everyone else for 13 hours = 13pp
    Adapt Body on self for 13 hours = 9pp
    Conceal Thoughts on everyone for 13 hours = 4pp
    Total = 37pp

He shakes the wand a few times until it activates. "Mento, this is Sahael and Co. We know about the prophecy. We are willing to help prevent the apocalypse. We hope you will be equitable."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You receive a simple response from Mento.

"I have expected this for some time. If you wish to meet, come to the coliseum grounds. We shall parley."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael passes on the message. "Not fond of the choice of locale. Should we request something a bit more neutral? Perhaps let him pick a direction from the city, meeting at a distance beyond the horizon?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    How tall were the city walls/towers that the guards were using? http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Heights
    Show
    The walls are roughly 10ft tall, the towers roughly 20ft tall.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"You know him better than I do. Would that seem reasonable, or would it make him think we're attempting an ambush?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael does another Sending. "The location is acceptable, though inconvenient. So, what is the basic nature of the apocalypse? Pathogenic, planar, eldritch, temporal, breakdown of fundamental force, or other?"

He also sends one to the Azurin. "Sorry about the collapse. Wasn't personal. Already have plans for mass resurrection. Also, refrained from blitzing you outside the shop yesterday, for the civilians' sake."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Mento responds "Details to be disclosed at the parley."

You receive no response from the Azurin.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

"To avoid having our essence extinguished and being turned into Wights, I'm going to borrow memories of an esoteric power. We psions don't normally dabble in positive energy, but there are some who know how to sculpt it into a barrier." Sahael goes into a trance for 10 minutes.

Spoiler: Changes
    Show
    Swap Enlarged Collective [Psi] for Expanded Knowledge (Resist Death) [Psi]
    Swap Reposition for Trigger Power
    Swap Adapt Body for Upheaval (if assumption that FoM doesn't beat natural difficult terrain is correct)

Everyone feels the spiritual equivalent of a warm blanket wrapped around their essence. This will insulate you from negative energy 3 times, and help you to resist other sources of instant death. For more long term protection, whenever we might need it, I'm going to weave together a heuristical node that will activate the same power again under certain circumstances." He spends another 10 minutes in concentration.

Spoiler: Trigger Power pseudocode
    Show
    Code:
    Creature us [4] = {Sahael, Renia, Kasha, Trasil};

If (IsNegativelyAffectedByNegativeEnergy(us))

ResistDeath(us);

"That will last us 13 days. They shouldn't be getting the jump on us with their usual trick." He spends another 10 minutes in concentration.

Spoiler: Changes
    Show
    Revert all changes from the last Psychic reformation, except for learning Upheaval (unless, as stated, FoM surpasses natural difficult terrain)

He Reconfigures his body, losing some of his extra robustness in exchange for covering his shell once again in that unusual digging texture and sprouting 4 tentacles.

"Now I am equipped to shepherd us to safety. Oh, that would be useful as well." He Echoes Superior Resistance 3 times, and also Echoes Divine Insight once for himself.

"Just in case our telepathy is interfered with and/or a Silence spell is used, I have devised some code words and hand signals to indicate different escape plans. Akantor" He points his index finger upwards and twirls it in a circle. means we need an Invisibility Sphere. Burama He orients a palm upwards and lifts it. "means we converge on Renia and Teleport out. Caelis" He quickly clenches and unclenches a fist. "means you converge on me for burrowing out. Delius"He brings his fingers into a tube-like shape and thrusts them down at the ground. "Means we need to fracture the floor and walls as much as possible so we have a place to go while Ectoplasmic. Finally, Eruna" He holds up two fingers and slides them sideways. means that Kasha rushes away, through walls or floor if necessary, so I can Dimension Swap and then Reposition us.

Now, shall we be making our approach by Invisibility Sphere, or some other way?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice thinking on those signals. Always good to be prepared. I wouldn't be surprised if Invisibility Sphere had very little effect. We're dealing with powerful people here. Arcane Sight or See Invisibility, or even True Sight, aren't out of the question. But, I don't have any better ideas, besides teleporting over there, or possibly burrowing.
    Extended Signature

Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"To be honest, I would have used 'loss of inter-party communication' as a reason to evacuate all by itself. Invisibility Sphere's not going to be much use - we have to be standing next to each other to all be in the same sphere, and if we're that close I might as well go straight for the teleport back out into the wilderness.

Anyway, the approach plan hasn't altered much. Veil, then teleport near to the city gates and walk the rest of the way. If we're lucky we won't run across anyone capable of penetrating that illusion until we reach the meeting point. It just has to get us through the streets without unnecessary bloodshed.
    "

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, we might not instantly realize that we are cut off, or they might use Telepathy Tap. And the mere existence of Dimensional Anchor warrants all the other escape plans.

I'm sure they're investigating everyone who comes through the gates. Veil might not hold up to scrutiny. Is there a secluded patch of exposed dirt you could Teleport us to? Preferably one not on church grounds, since they've likely got that place under surveillance."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So the team utilizes Veil and teleports beyond the city walls. As your group makes their way to the Coliseum, you notice there appear to be fewer Conferi on the streets that the previous trips through the city. You pass through unrecognized by the town guard and enter into the wealthiest district of the city.

When you approach the Coliseum you immediately notice two Conferi in the entryway, they see you approaching and say something to each other. They're not doing much to keep their voices down and you easily overhear their words. It seems they don't expect you to be able to hear them from such a distance. Perhaps they're underestimating your keen ears.

"Is that the group we're expecting?" the first one asks the second, her face contorting slightly as she squints at your group.
    "Doesn't look anything like them, but considering how they've been able to move around in the town without being noticed before, it probably is." the second one says, folding her arms over her robed chest.
    "Didn't they kill Sabrina and some guard she was working with?" the first asks as you approach.
    "It's not entirely clear, but it sure looks like it. Don't let you personal feelings get you riled up, we've got a job to do."

As you get closer they open the front entrance to the Coliseum and say in unison:
    "The Magnificent Mento awaits you inside."
    "The Magnificent Mento awaits you inside."

You make your way past the two Conferi and onto the coliseum's gladiatorial grounds. Despite the overcast skies, the coliseum gives you no obstacle to see everything in the arena. Mento stands front and center, his upper face obscured by a gold and black mask. Even though his size is no more than average for a human, his presence seems to overwhelm those of the others. He wears luxurious, but practical clothing. There are four Conferi, faces obscured by low hanging hoods, standing behind him.

You also immediately notice the other adventuring group, merely standing off to the side together, far enough a way to give the impression they are there as merely a safety net, rather than as important characters to this parley. The Necropolitan in front, his strange crooked grin on his face. The Elf stands by him in his finely wrought breastplate, the Slaymate strapped to his back, occasionally releasing a hollow giggle as she plays with their group's Banner. The Azurin stands a little further apart, his eyes don't meet your group and his posture is somewhat awkward. His brow is slightly furrowed. The two sparrows sit on top of the Azurin, one on his shoulder, the other balanced on his head.

Not far behind Mento is a sizable rectangular table with what appears to be a veritable smorgasbord of exotic cooked meats and other delicacies. The tantalizing aroma of the spices used in the preparation fill your nostrils.

"I have been expecting you. Come, let us break bread together and have words." Mento states as he moves into a position at the head of the table. His four Conferi move with him, taking their places behind him. He gestures to the four cushioned chairs at the table "Have a seat."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

As they walk into the coliseum, Trasil pauses, then turns to the two Conferi outside.

I'm sorry about your friend. I assure you it was all in self defense. However, that doesn't make it any better for you, I know.

He then continues inside with he group. When he sees the other group, specifically the grin on the necropolitan's face, he defensively rests his hand on his sword.

I don't like that grin...

When invited to sit, he waits until the others sit, and doesn't eat.

Anyone got detect poison or the like?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d20+4)[9] sense motive on the Necropolitan, and (1d20+4)[14] again on Mento.
    Extended Signature

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Paranoia rolls
    Show
    Spot (1d20+26)[27]
    Sense Motive on Mento, the Necropolitan, and the Azurin (1d20+26)[30]
    (1d20+26)[34]
    (1d20+26)[30]
    To identify the mask. History (1d20+28)[37], Psionics (1d20+25)[31]

As Sahael notices the Azurin, he feels the judgement being passed on him. He can only sigh in regret.

"Heh, yeah, I'd be creeped out if I hadn't already transcended that. Just to be safe..." He extends his tentacles and firmly grasps his companions' shoulders. He sits down at the table, maintaining his safety tether.

"Got it under control." He manifests Sense Poison, without displays, on the food/cutlery/etc. Wisdom check to identify poisons (1d20+2)[13].

He starts sampling the fare if it is safe. "Thanks for meeting with us. I can only assume you did not do this decades ago because I wasn't ready yet. So, what are we dealing with exactly and what is the expected time-frame?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Trasil
    Show
    Despite the low rolls, you think you manage to get a read on the Necropolitan. After your last encounter, he anticipates your group won't attack, and is being paid to be here as protection. He's happy he's getting what he considers to be free money, and secretly gloating to himself because he believes his group is superior to yours.

It seems impossible to read Mento, though.

Spoiler: Sahael
    Show
    You spot nothing especially unusual. You do notice that Mento's clothes are perfectly clean.

It seems impossible to get a read on Mento.

You're pretty sure the Necropolitan is smirking because he's being paid to be here and anticipates nothing of interest will happen. You also suspect he's secretly gloating because he believes his group is superior to yours.

You suspect the Azurin is conflicted about whether to believe your earlier Sending, and is beginning to second guess the adversarial relationship between your two groups.

You know that at least in the past, Mento was a charlatan, and masks are often favored by people who don't wish others to know their identities. You don't seem to detect any special properties from this one, however you do recognize it as a mask once belonging to higher ups in a town now long lost to the eastern desert. Supposedly such a mask was a symbol of coming to understand and even command mysteries of the arcane, but most records of that town have been lost, and a lot of what is believed is forged from incomplete documents and conjecture.

You detect no poisons, and tasting the strange fare, it turns out to be excellently prepared, though some of the meat is a bit stringy and tough, the salty, spiced taste of the meat is quite excellent.

Before addressing your question, Mento comments:
    "Please, enjoy the food. It was prepared from the remains of creatures owned by the Coliseum after the tragic collapse."
    He continues in a calm, strong voice, addressing your question, his facial expression obscured behind his mask,
    "I'm afraid the outlook is unfortunately grim. I didn't take this approach previously because I wished to avoid using such barbaric methods as merely ending your life, but I'm afraid there is insufficient time left to concoct a satisfactory plan to remove your hand from the coming events without outright killing you. However, I hope I can convince you to change course here, to avoid any further bloodshed.

Mento sighs and breathes for a moment.

"Based on my prophetic, we have only ten days before the world will end." Mento pauses again, allowing the gravity of his words to sink in. "And it will be the actions of your group that cause this. Let me show you my vision. Ladies?" Mento says, indicating the four hooded Conferi attending him. They move into place and each begin to cast a spell.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    The spell three of them appear to be casting is Silent Image. One appears to be casting Ghost Sound.

An illusory projection appears above Mento, it starts as merely a black square, but shapes begin to form on the illusory screen.

"I was only able to tell your involvement at the time, and not the identities of your companions because of our proximity at the time of the event." Mento explains.

First, a timer appears on the screen with an accompanying beep. It begins at 1000:000 and begins to count down rapidly (999:365, 999:364, 999:363, 999:362...) with accompanying tick tock noise. As it does, small lights appear, dotting the black screen and there appear to be more and more appearing, they begin to coalesce and light up a great deal, this light reveals what appears to be geography, you can recognize deserts, mountains, rivers.

Spoiler: Kn: Geography/History/Local (if you have any ranks)
    Show
    This is clearly your country, the landscape and city locations match up perfectly.

At this time, with the count down clock slowing down as it draws nearer to 0:000, several especially bright lights appear and begin moving. You notice that several coalesce onto a single point, and begin moving together.

Spoiler: Kn: Geography/History/Local (if you have any ranks)
    Show
    The place they joined together was the capital city.

Mento adds some comentary as you watch. "Unfortunately, I can't add the impressionist feelings accompanying these special lights to the display, but they each had a unique aspect. Yours, Sahael, was pure, unadulterated terror. The others included abstract feelings of such concepts as deception, power, skill, calculation, and studiousness."

The point of view moves in rapidly, the clock still affixed in its place though the pace of its descent is now much slower (it reads 0:013, and continues down slowly), you see a scene of several silhouetted people, immediately noting that your own outlines are among them, along with other previous comrades such as Nate and Herucles, as well as some which you simply don't know. These silhouettes appear to be moving together as a group, and coming upon statues, to which they appear to offer some thing, and the statues transmogrify into various tools - a sword, a cloak, and some other more difficult to recognize silhouetted items. The group of silhouettes collects the first at 0:010 on the clock. With each of these they collect, everything in the vision gets darker. Until finally, the clock hits 0:000 and a flash of what appears to be two eyes, too brilliant to distinguish any details appears for a split second, and everything goes black.

Mento waits a moment and, with his voice heavy, adds "The feeling accompanying the final portion of the vision was so intense, it is impossible to do it sufficient justice with words. The best I have come up with is simply: oblivion. When I had the vision originally, Sahael, you were the only figure among them who I could make out clearly, the others were all silhouettes. I am convinced that the clock is a one thousand year countdown, from where the records all seem to have been lost, and that it is through your actions, that the calamity will befall the world again."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2015-08-05 at 04:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Once they were inside the coliseum, Renia dismissed the Veil. Everyone already knew what they looked like, after all. No need to hide any further.

As with Trasil, Renia sits when she's bade to, and doesn't touch the refreshments. Then the display begins, and any glancing in her direction would notice she seemed to be in a spot of difficulty - squinting, shaking her head, rubbing her temples.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion) Trained - Any
    Show

Church Inquisitors like Renia are trained to disregard illusions out of hand (mechanically, they get an automatic will save to disbelieve, even if they are unaware there are illusions present). Renia's locked in a struggle with her own training to allow her to intentionally fail her will save.

"The thousand year countdown theory seems sound enough, and I must take your word for it that the vision ends in oblivion. However, I must admit I cannot follow the logic that Sahael's actions are the cause of such. At its most basic, what I can see are several beings appearing to arm themselves... then a suspicious presence that I would appreciate getting to examine in more detail in a minute.... and then the end. What I cannot see is causality.

True, 'we end the world' is one possible explanation, but then, so is 'we fight against the end of the world... and lose.' Or 'the world ends while those who could have defended it were preparing for entirely the wrong conflict'. Or possibly 'we were destined to keep an artefact of potentially world-ending power out of the hands of evil, but lost too much time battling city authorities that had been sicced on us by one who had not sufficiently considered the ramifications of their vision'. And yes, I am somewhat bitter at having been declared an outlaw in my home city.

However, may we see the ending again? Specifically, the flash between the initial fade during the 'arming' sequence, and the final fade to black. I think I saw something... relevant... in there....
    "

"Bluff" - (1d20+13)[19] - Seeing how good a job Renia does of keeping her face neutral while Mento makes the case against them...
    "Bluff" - (1d20+13)[23] - Seeing how good a job Renia does of keeping her face neutral while realising that Mento's vision isn't as damning as it could have been...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"Those eyes... something is going to be awakened, unsealed, or revived. I'd stake 98% odds on Tyrannus, 1.99% on Vrakmul, .01% on Xanaphia Nailo. The Skull Lords are obviously working to restore their master. That one showed up to drive you away from those tapestries is rather telling. On the other hand, the statues are associated with the Potentia. As we all know, ancient evils that can rival gods are one of those things that are usually sealed away instead of killed. These statues are indestructible, just what you'd expect of a prison for such a being.

Fortunately, I had a very lucky break while researching the history of this city. There were some very obscure sources indicating a precursor civilization before this country was founded. The metropolis that was here before Comercia was seemingly wiped out in an instant. Also, a pact of twelve jade souls seems to be important to that event, but I could not find further info on that. Incidentally, the metropolis was destroyed 1000 years ago, give or take 100. It seems odd that the prophecy starts with that countdown, unless it is meant to indicate an earlier event that ties into the current predicament. The pact could have been part of the sealing process and/or it facilitated the prophecy to warn of the unsealing.

As I see it, the statues are some kind of cosmic keystone that binds Tyrannus. Either they can only restrain Tyrannus for 1000 years and are scheduled to fail soon, or we were about to inadvertently unleash him. Alternatively, the statues do lead to the Potentia, the prophecy is meant to reveal the way so that someone finds it before Tyrannus' release, and it showed us because we just happened to be on the trail already.

Could we see that last section again, slower? I need to see whether it is darkening consistently with the passage of the last days, or with the collection of the statues."

Knowledge (History) for any relevant revelations on the topic (1d20+28)[47]

Spot to scrutinize the frame by frame.(1d20+26)[42]
    Last edited by General Patton; 2015-08-05 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Clarified last possibility

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Mento explains, "I believe the awakening is a result of your collecting artifacts from the statues somehow. Ladies, display it again, as they asked."

The Conferi replay the vision on the illusory screen. With the extra scrutiny and slowed pace, it seems clear that the darkening occurs in distinct steps, at the very moment silhouetted items are retrieved from the statues. Mento calls for them to pause on the flash at the end, but all it appears to be are two obnoxiously bright dots, too bright to make out any details other than their rough shape. Based on the shape alone, you'd guess they wouldn't belong to a human, but monstrous humanoids and other humanoid races certainly aren't out of the question. Neither would a multitude of animals.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"How many of these prophecies have you made, Mento?"

"The more I look at those eyes, the more suspicious I get about this vision. It's not that I think it's necessarily wrong - although I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that some of the details, especially the countdown - turned out to be inaccurate in vital but apparently innocuous ways - but I wonder why it was sent to Mento. Instead of, say, one or all of us. Or every seer in the land.

And suddenly I'm left with the impression that those eyes aren't a warning of the doom approaching us - they're the true nature of the source of the vision, that couldn't quite conceal itself fully, much as it tried. That the vision was sent specifically to convince Mento to turn against us - or try to dissuade us. Not because it would be what's best for the world... but because it's what's worst for it.

It has to be accurate, of course. The information in the vision has to be good enough to allow Mento to intercept us. But then, all it needs are little tweaks to the order of things. Tweak the timing of the darkness to imply our actions are the cause. Stick in a countdown - that accurately quotes times between a known event and Mento's best chances to intercept us, but that does not accurately count to the world's doom, so even if we figure it out, we won't know when we're due to be struck.

Ultimately, though, one way or another we're going to have to wager the fate of the world on this question: Do we think Mento got the causation right - and our going after those artefacts dooms the world - or that he was mistaken, deluded or deceived into blaming us where we're not the cause? I think deceived. But I suspect it will be a hard enough sell even without exposing Mento further to the greatness of Sahael and my' double act...
    "

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Mento casually answers "This is the only prophecy I have had on such a grand scale. I believe the introduction of the vision is trying to get across just how massive in scope the effect of these events will be. I have, however, made numerous small, and accurate, predictions in my life. However, like any fortune teller, my accuracy has never been perfect. Though, I'm hoping you can see why I have taken the actions I have, and I'm hoping that sharing this information will be sufficient to get you to halt your efforts to seek the statues and the Potentia."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I asked, you see, because I've studied a lot of seers in my life. With most divinations it is pretty unlikely that you'll ever get something so far beyond your regular powers without something else's aid. Or charlatanism, but I don't think any of us seriously believe you're lying about this. Which leads into the following question: If you were being surreptitiously warned by another power... who warned you, and why? Having seen the vision for myself... I'm not sure if that's a higher power trying to warn us of a mistake that would doom the world... or a lower power trying to scare us away from our most effective defence. Or just pure, random chance, but it's still something I believe should be checked.

I think, at this point, the best thing I could do is seek guidance from Pelor. While I suspect he won't know the source of your surprisingly-comprehensive vision, I think he will know enough about the Potentia to at least say whether or not going after it would doom the world.
    "

Quietly, to Kasha: "Perhaps you should confer with your deity as well? On the question of 'Am I about to damn the world', I would be more than happy to have a second opinion to fall back upon."

And normally once again: "I would suggest, if all present agree, that once we've run out of things to examine in the vision, we be allowed the time to prepare a communion. It requires Holy Water and Incense, which I suggest Trasil fetches if you are unwilling to spare one of your soldiers to run errands. In terms of time, it should all be done in 20 minutes or so. If the God (or Gods) contacted support your interpretation, then we will agree to a period of 10 days of leisure time, remaining in place within the city where the guard - or your mercenaries - can easily keep watch over us.

If we are told either that a)retrieving the potentia is not, by itself, going to cause an apocalypse, or that b)the world would be better off were we to retrieve it than were someone else to do so, or c) Any other possibility that states we will be either better off or unchanged if we retrieve the Potentia, then you agree to call off the hunt for us and to provide what support you can during the remainder of our quest.

Does that sound acceptable?
    "