Answer returns: "Unclear."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Aegis Tristalt In-Character Mk. II

"Thank You."

With her 11 questions asked, Renia cannot pose any more. So she moves on to sharing the results with the others.

"If we do nothing, the world will probably be destroyed. As far as they know,, retrieving the Potentia will not automatically destroy the world, but will also not necessarily save it. The main stumbling block is not power - the Potentia is powerful enough to cause such a cataclysm, and by extension, powerful enough to defend against such an attempt - but rather that they seemed to be casting doubts on our willingness to use it to save the world. It's pure speculation on my part, but from the wording (and who they were speaking to), I think the Potentia may have some measure of corrupting influence on its wielders - I can think of few other explanations for why they would have questioned my willingness to defend my homeworld.

Mento was confirmed as being honest with us - at least at the moment - but they could not provide additional details around Tyrannus, the Pact of Twelve Jade Souls or the fact of the predecessor city.
    "

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's a few questions answered, I guess. Now I suppose we keep trying for Potentia, if, as you say, doing nothing will lead this world to destruction.
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

"As far as the vision indicated, going after just one of the statues is not catastrophic on its own. So there's no reason not to go after the one we know of. It will calibrate our expectations for the other statues, and we'll probably find some ancient lost lore along the way. We can re-evaluate the situation from there.

We should spend the day preparing and set out first thing tomorrow. Could I take a look at the sewer blueprints and maps to plan our route?

Speaking of blueprints, let your benefactor know that I'll have something rather nice cooked up to replace the stairwell, if he can provide a Lyre of Building."

Sahael turns to address the other group, and makes their participation into a matter of ego.

"As some of the most powerful adventurers in the world, I'm certain your contribution to this effort will be most impressive."

He expends Divine Insight on his Diplomatic efforts at building rapport (1d20+42)[43]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Mento responds: "I'm afraid I don't know the layout of the tunnels underneath here, nor do I presently have access to such blueprints. The tunnels I believe you're referring to are utilized as the Otyugh Hole and are renovated after every Otyugh Hole event. I can speak with Mr. Ordo and see if I could obtain a current layout, but it may be difficult, seeing as last time you were in there, I advised he make his best attempt to end your lives to protect his current and future assets. Requesting such information may put serious strain on my good relations with Mr. Ordo. It's also incredibly unlikely he would be willing to allow you into the subterranean chambers again, at all, promises of construction or not. However, I can propose the idea to him if you think it will serve in preventing this cataclysm."

The Necropolitan immediately responds to Sahael's offer in his raspy whisper.
    "Of course we will join you in this effort." as he says this, his strange crooked grin widens on his face, barely revealing some jagged teeth.

The Azurin begins to say something, but the Necropolitan simply waves a decrepit hand at him, causing him to immediately back down before he can even get the words out of his mouth.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Sense Motive on Mento, the Necropolitan, and the Azurin.
    (1d20+26)[41]
    (1d20+26)[38]
    (1d20+26)[35]

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    It is impossible to get a read on Mento.
    You suspect the Necropolitan may be hiding something.
    The Azurin likely still just still feels conflicted.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael concentrates on Empathy to read Mento, the Conferi, and the living members of the other group.

He manifests Detect Psionics without Displays and spends 3 rounds concentrating. Take 10 on Spellcraft [27]
    Last edited by General Patton; 2015-08-22 at 10:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Empathy/Detect Psionics/Spellcraft
    Show
    Mento has no emotions. None whatsoever to detect at all.
    The four Conferi are busy concentrating on spells, but seem slightly nervous.
    The Azurin is still conflicted. The Hengeyokai and the Elf are calm.

Detect Psionics detects three weak auras from three of the Conferi. A weak, and two moderate auras from the fourth Conferi. (If directed toward the other adventuring group there's boat loads of auras, as adventuring groups typically will have)

You manage to identify all but one of the auras. Three Conferi are using Silent Image, Silent Image, and Ghost Sound. One has Silent Sonorous Hum and Major Image running, but the last aura from the fourth Conferi probably isn't coming from a spell, as you're pretty sure you'd have successfully identified any spell that only gives off a moderate aura.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2015-08-23 at 01:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Adventurers' Auras
    Show
    Of course, Sahael would like to note their active spells for later, whenever it's convenient for you to decide/list them. Right now, he's most concerned with whether they have Telepathy Tap.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Regarding Telepathy Tap
    Show
    They are not currently using Telepathy Tap.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

"Given that it only took a hand wave to silence him, it seems their leader has a history of being oppressive and controlling. I'm tempted to point out the lack of respect for his companions. Do any of you recommend against that? Or would you perhaps like that privilege for yourself? The Azurin is definitely conflicted and was probably going to say something to our advantage. As the moral center of their group, being ignored like that could conceivably cause him to defect. I have some strong opinions regarding the subject of proper leadership. However, if you have an opinion on the matter, that in itself would help highlight the difference between our group dynamic and theirs."

Spoiler: Question about Sending
    Show
    Is composing a Sending, and replying to it, an audible process? Or can the recipient reply in secret?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll do it. I was thinking about doing it myself, anyways.

Trasil steps towards the other group, then points to the Azurin.

You. Speak. Your "leader" he nods to the Necropolitan, over there might have no respect for what you have to say, but it might have some importance to the situation.
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Necropolitan's smirk quickly vanishes from his face.

The Azurin stands there for a second realizing he is personally being addressed. He appears to think for a moment and responds: "I'll follow the decisions of our leader."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael turns to address the Azurin. "I don't demand respect or obedience, because leadership should not have perks. It should be a burden, reserved for those in control of their ego. He has not made a decision for you. He has blindly dismissed anything you could possibly have said. In effect, he has denied your philosophy, your personality, and everything else you are as a person."

Show
    Necropolitan (1d20+26)[36]
    Azurin (1d20+26)[39]
    Elf (1d20+26)[32]
    Left Hengeyokai (1d20+26)[31]
    Right Hengeyokai (1d20+26)[34]

He concentrates on Empathy again, directed at their group.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Finally getting to rise and stretch a little after her near-half-hour of prayer, Renia quickly continues the social theme of working at cross-purposes to Sahael.

"...Remind me never to sign you up for an army. You are aware that most combat or adventuring groups aren't quite as anarchic as ours, yes? That the leader leads is more or less the reason why the two words are so similar... True, I agree that respect and obedience can't really be demanded, but for all you know they've been hard earned. So maybe you should save the criticism until you're sure it's warranted, hm?"

"And try inviting that Azurin into the collective for a minute. I want to hear what it was going to say as badly as you do. But they're more likely to close ranks in the face of criticism than to humour you, so best to try getting that statement all quiet-like."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

"That is an excellent point." Sahael humbly stands down from the verbal confrontation to resume eating, because unlike someone, his ego isn't at stake and he actually listens to his allies.

He invites the Azurin into the Collective.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Azurin's face becomes stoic during Sahael's criticism. The Necropolitan doesn't appear fazed in the least.

Show
    The Necropolitan is not amused.
    The Azurin seems unsure of something.
    The Elf and Hengeyokai's are all calm.

While Renia speaks, the Azurin nods at the appropriate time to indicate the leadership of their group has definitely been hard earned.

The Azurin doesn't accept the invitation into the Collective. It's very possible he's not aware of what it is.

You see him shift his stance, almost as if he's concerned a fight is going to break out.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose we can save the ideological debate for when the world is not in jeopardy, even though your methods are somewhat reducing our combined intellectual potential. In the mean time, I know a librarian who may be able to confirm some of my suspicions."

Sahael tilts back in his chair, casually drawing and activating his Wand of Sending.

To Tanariel Ururyn: "I'm still alive. Could you read up on a supposedly upcoming planetary alignment? Might be millenial and apocalyptic. Tell everyone I love 'em."

"I'll direct a Sending to the tight-lipped one later, when things aren't so tense."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tanariel's response comes back: "Thank goodness you're alive. Call more often. Apocalyptic? What mess have you gotten yourself into this time, Sahael? I'll look into it. I love you."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2015-08-26 at 06:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Feeling a little more herself again after her exertions (she did just cast 100XP worth of magic), Renia starts steering the conversation back towards important topics.

"Unless anyone else has a better idea, I'd suggest what we do is this: Mento takes the other adventuring party and starts searching for any hints possible about the nature of the doom that's coming in the next few days. While we resume hunting for the Potentia. Hopefully that way, by the time we retrieve it, we'll have some idea what we'll need to use it against. Both groups should keep in touch with one another - we're working together on this one, after all.

But first, we should start by squaring matters with the Ordo family. Our next steps will be rather easier to take once we stop being wanted people, after all...
    "

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Necropolitan speaks up in response to Renia. "We will accompany you in searching for this... Potentia. Leave the bookwork to those who wish to perform it, but we are adventurers, not researchers." The Elf's expression clearly shows his agreement with their leader's statement.

Mento gives a nod showing his consent with this idea. "I have done a great deal of research in the hope of discovering this information, and despite not yet making any tangible progress, I will continue searching. Too much is on the line not to. Though I still have reservations regarding your use of this artifact and what the consequences will be, it is clearer now that inaction will likely lead us down an undesirable path."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

"Well, things seem to be going smoothly. No doubt a golem made out of poison and adamantium will pop up any minute here.. Mento, thank you for meeting with us and reconsidering. I'm glad that you didn't interpret your vision right into the end of the world. Do you suppose there is anything you can do to smooth our path with the Ordo family? And is there anything we can do to assist with that smoothing?" She turns to her telepathic link with the others, "So, ten to one the jerky-mannequin over there is up to something. It might just be the embalming process, but he seems a bit too smug."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Even if he wasn't, I wouldn't feel too comfortable having him accompany me."

"Then we should split up, I think. Not to put too fine a point on it, I a) don't think having you and Sahael in the same team will work very well and b) would feel much happier running down two leads at once instead of concentrating on one only to find we wasted some of our few remaining days on a wild goose chase."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Mento responds: "As I've said, I'll see what I can do regarding how the Ordo family views you. But, while I can't guarantee it will be totally fixed, I should at least be able to remove the larger part of the bounties placed on you. I am unsure if you have any resources that I could use to argue in your favor."

"If this Potentia is as powerful as we are lead to believe, it is likely guarded by extremely powerful forces. Despite our seemingly preconceived differences, I think our best bet of surviving these ordeals would be pooling our manpower for its greatest effect. However, if you still believe the best course of action is to go our separate ways, I have a condition. I will send one of my group with you, and if you wish you may send one of your group with us to ensure that we are all working in the best interests of preventing this apocalypse, which we both agree is the seeking and collecting of the artifact in question." The Necropolitan's says, wearing his adventurer's paranoia on his sleeve.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael responds to Mento. "Actually, I've got some cutting-edge information that Mr. Ordo will find invaluable when making business decisions in the near future. Exclusive information from a secret source."

He addresses the Necropolitan. "Swapping members between groups will hurt our effectiveness. I'd rather we tackle one objective at a time, together, with brutal efficiency and overwhelming force. We can do some research today, and then mount a cursory expedition to begin clearing the way. The full expedition can begin tomorrow, when we're fully recovered and haven't wasted resources preparing for an... altercation."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

And Renia replies to them both: "Extremely powerful forces is one possibility. One of the other possibilities is that only the twelve souls from the vision can manage the retrieval... Admittedly, I haven't the faintest clue which, if any, of those theories is correct, and with so little time available we're likely going to have to run into the defences and see for ourselves.

But the suggestion about splitting up was based far more on my assessment of likely clashes between you, Sahael, and myself. It's my opinion that the resulting... 'discussions'... will hinder our performance more than the additional combat strength will help. Of course, if the rest of you think I'm worrying about nothing... Well, we're all mature adults. More or less. If you all think you can work together effectively, I won't stop you trying.
    "

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Necropolitan responds flatly, "I will not question your group's methods. If you wish to question mine, I will simply not respond. This should prevent any of these discussions of which you speak. For now, however, our aims are aligned. We are more likely to accomplish our goal working together than separately."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Sahael responds tersely. "This is acceptable." He turns to Mento. "Do you expect we'll be able to speak with Mr. Ordo soon? Or should we burn some time at the library?"