New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Where are all the half-dwarves?

Quote Originally Posted by dafrca View Post
    Tolkien did say all Dwarves had beards in The War of the Jewels if I am not mistaken.

However, I too am in agreement that we let the poor Dwarven women have clean faces.
    Why? They're not humans.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Why? They're not humans.
    Why not? They're not humans!
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Í
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthpawSoldier View Post
    This isn't Tolkien; it's Jackson. Books made no mention of female dwarfs.
    Yes they did. In the books he told a hobbit. That's the only difference

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Why not? They're not humans!
    Because with the exception of humans excessive (by human standards) body hair is the norm

Actually the real answer is not an in universe one.

Do your players want it one way (especially your female players)?

If you have bearded dwarves will everyone just take it as a Discworld reference and expect your dwarves to replicate in detail Discworld dwarves?

With my players the answer to the first has been "No," or "No, unless it's a Discworld reference" which would not play out well.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Because with the exception of humans excessive (by human standards) body hair is the norm

Actually the real answer is not an in universe one.

Do your players want it one way (especially your female players)?

If you have bearded dwarves will everyone just take it as a Discworld reference and expect your dwarves to replicate in detail Discworld dwarves?

With my players the answer to the first has been "No," or "No, unless it's a Discworld reference" which would not play out well.
    In 20 years of gaming I remember this issue coming up exactly once. And it was in a LoTR setting .

The table concensus ( including girls) was "who gives a F, where's the treasure?). So I have always stuck with bearded dwarves

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

However, I too am in agreement that we let the poor Dwarven women have clean faces.
    Give them razors then.

I'm in the camp of dwarf men having big bushy beards, while female dwarves having thinner beards.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ralanr View Post
    Where does it say female dwarves have beards? Seriously this always bugs me.
    I know that Dwarves Deep specifically mentions that female dwarves have beards. Complete Dwarves mention that deep dwarven women wear their beards long, but women of other dwarf subraces tend to shave theirs.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

I once posited that all dwarves are born bald. When they hit puberty, as with human males, their beards start to come in. Male dwarves have beards on their chins/faces (as one might expect); female dwarves have them on top of their heads. In the dwarven language, "hair" and "beard" are the same word. Male dwarves never grow hair on their heads (and, to them, hair on the head is a decidedly femanine trait, making humans and especially elves and halflings look effemanite).

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I once posited that all dwarves are born bald. When they hit puberty, as with human males, their beards start to come in. Male dwarves have beards on their chins/faces (as one might expect); female dwarves have them on top of their heads. In the dwarven language, "hair" and "beard" are the same word. Male dwarves never grow hair on their heads (and, to them, hair on the head is a decidedly femanine trait, making humans and especially elves and halflings look effemanite).
    Fun way to look at it. Now how would they see a human with long hair and a full beard?
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator

10. - Top - End - #160

Fun way to look at it. Now how would they see a human with long hair and a full beard?
    Probably the same way we tend to react to "bearded ladies." Some combination of "that's funny" and "that's disturbing."

Alternatively, think of how you react to the notion of "female dwarves have beards." The range of reactions from humans on that subject likely reflects fairly accurately the range of reactions dwarves have to human males with full heads of hair and beards (e.g. Santa Clause).

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a dwarf culture where it's the norm for men to shave from the ears up (save eyebrows), and for women to shave in the other direction.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

12. - Top - End - #162

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    I have a dwarf culture where it's the norm for men to shave from the ears up (save eyebrows), and for women to shave in the other direction.
    Mind if I take this?

13. - Top - End - #163

Probably the same way we tend to react to "bearded ladies." Some combination of "that's funny" and "that's disturbing."

Alternatively, think of how you react to the notion of "female dwarves have beards." The range of reactions from humans on that subject likely reflects fairly accurately the range of reactions dwarves have to human males with full heads of hair and beards (e.g. Santa Clause).
    Or when we see a woman who is bald. Gets some interesting reactions from folks. Friend of mine went through chemo and lost 100% of her hair on her head. No eyebrows or anything left. She received some interesting comments when she went out in public. Lots of stares as well. I thought it made her look younger though. LOL
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

14. - Top - End - #164

Or when we see a woman who is bald. Gets some interesting reactions from folks. Friend of mine went through chemo and lost 100% of her hair on her head. No eyebrows or anything left. She received some interesting comments when she went out in public. Lots of stares as well. I thought it made her look younger though. LOL
    Mom did what many women do: she sore a bandanna to cover her bald head. (I understand men are more likely to wear hats.) She also had a wig that she wore for more formal occasions. She's since let her hair grow back out, but never to the length it once was.

15. - Top - End - #165

Mom did what many women do: she sore a bandanna to cover her bald head. (I understand men are more likely to wear hats.) She also had a wig that she wore for more formal occasions. She's since let her hair grow back out, but never to the length it once was.
    Yes, my friend wore a scarf outside to protect her head from direct sunlight, sunburn of the scalp is not fun.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Of course, there is a counter culture where the opposite happens.

I just realised something, surely long bushy beards would get in the way at the forge.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

That's why you tied up and braid your beards.

Beardcare, everydwarf.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I just realised something, surely long bushy beards would get in the way at the forge.
    That is exactly why dwarves might value beards - a skilled blacksmith (or an overseer/other fancy in-charge type who doesn't do manual work) will maintain a clean beard despite the soot and flame of the forge, while a lousy one (or one who performs a lot of manual labour) would have a singed beard. This way, a dwarf's beard is an excellent indicator of social class, much like long fingernails were in China.

I love the idea of dwarves not having a distinction between head-hair and beard-hair, though. In fact, you could crib a line from our good friend the lion and give male dwarves a magnificent mane, with female dwarves having short head hair and no beards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    That is exactly why dwarves might value beards - a skilled blacksmith (or an overseer/other fancy in-charge type who doesn't do manual work) will maintain a clean beard despite the soot and flame of the forge, while a lousy one (or one who performs a lot of manual labour) would have a singed beard. This way, a dwarf's beard is an excellent indicator of social class, much like long fingernails were in China.

I love the idea of dwarves not having a distinction between head-hair and beard-hair, though. In fact, you could crib a line from our good friend the lion and give male dwarves a magnificent mane, with female dwarves having short head hair and no beards.
    That reminds me of an idea I read on these forums: dwarves have fur, and the men have manes.

Show