New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Harrowing Spell

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Harrowing Spell

Hi!

I recently started playing a Harrower in Pathfinder, and although I really enjoy the rolyplaying aspect of this class in conjunction with the wonderfully illustrated "tarot" cards, I'm not so sure what to think of the Harrowing spell.
    I will summarize my understanding of this spell, of which I am not absolutely sure it's correct. I reveal 9 cards. This means, an average of 1 card will give me a -1 penalty on something for a while. On the upside, I gain a handful (average: six times +1, one time +2) of one-shot bonuses. Is that correct? And if so, is it worth a 3rd level spell slot? Even though I'm talking about the (slightly pathetic) Divination bonus spell slot here, I can still fill it with a second "See Invisibility" spell. Always handy to have, and no danger to get semi-permanent maluses.
    I used to be an atheist, until I realized I had nothing to shout during blowjobs. (Robert Anton Wilson)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Harrowing Spell

Yup, it sucks. Tho' personally I'd get Arcane Sight rather than another see invis, but your mileage may vary.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I had hoped that someone could have convinced me of the qualities of Harrowing. Thank you, I will consider Arcane Sight. Though it seems to me that with Pathfinders unlimited Detect Magic uses, there is a little bit less use for an instant farsight super-detec-magic than in 3.5.
    Last edited by Rumo; 2015-05-25 at 03:56 PM.
    I used to be an atheist, until I realized I had nothing to shout during blowjobs. (Robert Anton Wilson)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well, it is a Buff spell with a duration of "days", which is not that common.

On "downtime" days, prepare a mix of Harrowing and Dispel Magics (more Harrowing than Dispel of course).
    Do a reading for everyone. If someone gets a particularly bad draw, shoot them with a Dispel and try again.

On later days, keep a Dispel prepared and if someone uses up the last of their (useful) bonuses you are free to Dispel them and redo the Harrowing.

This way you'll get mostly bonuses, and minimal penalties.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2015-05-27 at 12:23 AM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's a great idea, thank you!