New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: World of Warships: General Quarters!

I've been trying to do the destroyer thing with them, but it hasn't really worked, and I tend to die a lot.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

The problem with using the Phoenix/Omaha as ghetto destroyers is that they can't do the sneaking up on people thing, and they're big enough, soft enough targets that enemies will drop huge damage on you as you try and approach.

Torpedoes are there as a last resort on US cruisers.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Something else to remember with the Omaha (can't remember if it also holds true for the Phoenix) is the side guns have a limited traverse. Normally, this is a bad thing, but with the Omaha's turning circle, it's possible to pull a circle and still be firing to near full effect. This is good a) if your rudder gets jammed and b) because people generally don't expect a ship to pull a donut; if it starts turning it's either going 180 to retreat or it's just evading/repositioning. Sparing use of a 270/360 at range gives you another option, particularly against BB's who don't want to waste their volley.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

I've just gone from the IJN CL line (Kuma) to the CA line (Furutaka) and it's a pretty major change in gameplay.

While the Kuma is the quick, agile, high ROF ship that all the earlier tier CLs are, the Furutaka plays much more like a BB, although without the HP and armour (its guns can't even track the same point at full rudder, much like a BB and the 21 second shell change time is only 9 seconds off the Myogi's reload time).

While I'm used to playing BBs (only 1k xp off the Burning Love of the Kongo! ), I hope the Furutaka is going to improve a bit when I unlock more modules, else I might go back down to the Kuma.

I know the ship was historically badly overweight, but every time I pull a full rudder turn at top speed, the ship looks like it's going to capsize (I wonder if firing the inside 200mm guns at the turn apex would be enough to tip it?)

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Torpedoes are there as a last resort on US cruisers.
    They're also useful for area denial as the range is sufficient to scare off destroyers trying to sneak through channels between islands and their slow speed makes sure it's closed off for a little while (or at least long enough for you to get some space).
    I find they're also good for a speculative shot around an island just before you disappear around the other side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by qechua View Post
    Something else to remember with the Omaha (can't remember if it also holds true for the Phoenix) is the side guns have a limited traverse. Normally, this is a bad thing, but with the Omaha's turning circle, it's possible to pull a circle and still be firing to near full effect. This is good a) if your rudder gets jammed and b) because people generally don't expect a ship to pull a donut; if it starts turning it's either going 180 to retreat or it's just evading/repositioning. Sparing use of a 270/360 at range gives you another option, particularly against BB's who don't want to waste their volley.
    I have a habit of using the Q and E rudder controls rather than the A and D controls, so I tend to get stuck pulling donuts quite often when I get critical'ed. It works for a bit until they realise what I'm doing then I just get shot up.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2015-07-30 at 07:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

I'm finding that pretty much every shot that hits a ship that I'm driving kills my engines. The first hit takes it out, I pop my repair party, and before I even get back up to speed it's out of commission again. Getting my rudder jammed would be a nice change of pace.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

6. - Top - End - #126

RogueGuy

Some ships are more prone to having their steering or engines hit. Having both happen on a DD is pretty common because most of the time if a DD gets hit, people led the ship with barely enough space and consequently the shots hit the back of the DD.

The Phoenix though is the ship that I've easily had the most problems with the steering getting knocked out. On more than one occasion I've had my rudder knocked out and been set on fire, repaired both, and then promptly had the rudder taken out again leaving me to steam in circles for the next two minutes. Sadly, there's not much you can do about it, though as mentioned, the Phoenix/Omaha's gun setup means you can at least fire some of your guns in this situation.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

It happens to me when I'm driving my St. Louis, too. Last game I was in I was dead in the water from pretty much the moment that the first shot of the match was fired. I still took two of the enemy down with me, but I feel like I could have done much better if I'd been able to move.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

8. - Top - End - #128

Flumph

Spoiler: Omaha brings home the bacon
    Show

If I'd been a bit smarter avoiding that last carrier's torpedoes (I was on about 7k health by that point) I could have made that four kills.

9. - Top - End - #129

RogueGuy

Here's an opportunity for you guys to get a free ship and a port slot, just input the Bonus Code: ALBANY on the WoWS website for a free T2 USS Albany and a port slot for it.

Really though, all you want is the port slot. The Albany has the lowest gun range of any ship in the game that isn't a CV.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

The Jingles review of the Albany. It's been a couple weeks since I watched it, but I seem to recall phrases like "absolutely terrible" and "it only costs $1.49, but they're still overcharging for this hunk of garbage".

Still, woohoo for the free port slot!
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2015-07-31 at 03:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So my dad's gotten into WoWS as well, but he's having a bit of an issue with it. Every now and then, when the game loads, he'll have the user interface and all, but nothing else. The screen is just black, except for the gun marker and ship markers. It doesn't happen in every battle, and we haven't been able to find a pattern of this happening with one particular ship or type of battle. I haven't had this issue, and a look at the Wargaming site hasn't come up with anything. So if anyone else has any ideas, I'd appreciate them.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    So my dad's gotten into WoWS as well, but he's having a bit of an issue with it. Every now and then, when the game loads, he'll have the user interface and all, but nothing else. The screen is just black, except for the gun marker and ship markers. It doesn't happen in every battle, and we haven't been able to find a pattern of this happening with one particular ship or type of battle. I haven't had this issue, and a look at the Wargaming site hasn't come up with anything. So if anyone else has any ideas, I'd appreciate them.
    Obligatory 'Has he updated his graphics drivers?' question.

Has he tried changing his graphics settings? Maybe there's a particular parameter that makes things flakey?

If that doesn't lead anywhere useful, could you list the graphics card and other system settings and I'll have a dig around.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll try playing around with the graphics settings. Although we've gone through a few more fights, and it appears to be just random battles. Co-op battles work fine, but battles against other players and there's nothing.

If that doesn't work, I'll look up the graphics card and whatnot and let y'all know. To be honest, I have no idea how long since the drivers have been updated.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

So I oneshot a South Carolina with my little Wakatake. Well, I say oneshot, but it was a full salvo of 4 torpedoes. Still immensely satisfying, especially since he nuked me with his guns.

I'd just put a St. Louis down at extreme torpedo range and was going to start hunting in the narrows/popping in and out to snipe. Had a few seconds left on my torp reload when the SC and I both came around an island at the same time; we had 2km between us. I started trying to turn around so I could hide behind the island again, my torps finished reloading, and I got them into the water about half a second before his salvo hit. Blew me right out of the water, but we'd come out of the channels broadside to each other and at that range he didn't have a chance to dodge. Boom.

Exacerbating the comedic effect was that the enemy driver had complained about how he was probably going to spend the match dodging torpedoes when it started and we saw how many destroyers were on each team, and then he raged while his ship sank because he'd been torpedoed.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

DwarfClericGuy

I recall Jingles saying that Torpedos mostly kill bad players. And thinking about a lot of the times I've died to torpedos, I think I actually agree? I was, by and large, doing dumb-ass stuff, driving in too close confines, hugging islands too close to hostile territory, not maneuvering, etc.

And most of the torpedo hits I get are from the same thing: Carriers sitting dead in the water, cruisers and battleships coming around an island not expecting Mr. Minekaze to be sitting there with his torpedo broadside.

There are exceptions, of course: That thing Carriers do where you get two torp bomber squadrons coming in at you from 90 degrees of each other is evil, and sometimes the IJN long range torpedos can get you from the spotting of an allied Cruiser's Fighter before they even know which control point you're going for.

And sometimes you just get extremely lucky and get 15x Torpedo hits, 4 kills, and a High cal......in a wickes?!

Also, just having torpedos can be helpful for figuring out an enemies direction at long range with odd angles.

I'm Saytael on the North American server
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

16. - Top - End - #136

RogueGuy

And the thing is, you don't even need torpedoes to do a lot of damage. Just a rapid fire gun, HE, and an enemy team that willfully ignores you. See this match I just had:

Spoiler
    Show

This was also the first time I ever got a Close Quarters combat medal.

Also for those who don't recognize those medals, they were Double Strike (kill two ships within 10 seconds of each other), Close Quarter Expert (do over 20% of YOUR ship's health worth in damage to another ship with your secondary guns and sink it), High Caliber (damage 4 enemy ships and deal a total of over 30% of the entire enemy team's health to all of your targets), and Arsonist (kill an enemy ship, 40% of the damage dealt by you to that ship has to come from fire damage, not HE or AP).

Despite the fact that the shell velocity for the Cleveland is pathetic now, I still love it to bits.
    Last edited by Yana; 2015-08-03 at 06:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Here's an opportunity for you guys to get a free ship and a port slot, just input the Bonus Code: ALBANY on the WoWS website for a free T2 USS Albany and a port slot for it.

Really though, all you want is the port slot. The Albany has the lowest gun range of any ship in the game that isn't a CV.
    Bummer, I must have missed it
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

18. - Top - End - #138

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    And the thing is, you don't even need torpedoes to do a lot of damage. Just a rapid fire gun, HE, and an enemy team that willfully ignores you. See this match I just had:
    Well no, you don't need torpedos. Especially on Battleships and half-decent cruisers like the Cleveland or the Aoba.

On the other hand, the -Kaze destroyers have guns which turn like mud and take forever to reload considering they're sub 155mm. They need their torps to hit.

Also, there's a certain amount of maniacal, evil genius pleasure in watching a while spread of torpedoes just obliterate someone

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, there certainly is. Last night, for my first game in my brand-new Isokaze, I sprinted across the map and slipped around the enemy screen to torpedo their Bogue at point-blank range. On my way back toward the fray I scored a magazine hit on a Cleveland with another torpedo. What probably made it even worse for that poor cruiser driver was that he had spotted me on my initial attempt to get past; I had just circled wide around an island and struck from a different direction when he probably thought that he had chased me away. He also did a fair amount of damage to me and likely would have killed me without that lucky torp shot; I was in red hp and my rudder was jammed when it hit.
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2015-08-04 at 03:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I have come to love the tenryu. I started playing it because I had elited my st. louis and wanted to play with some friends that had just started playing. A destroyer big enough to actually kinda brawl is amazing.

Do up tier IJN cruisers behave the same?

21. - Top - End - #141

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordDavenport View Post
    So I have come to love the tenryu. I started playing it because I had elited my st. louis and wanted to play with some friends that had just started playing. A destroyer big enough to actually kinda brawl is amazing.

The Tenryu and the Kuma are very similar, basically Destroyer Flagships. The Furutaka is empahatically not. It mounts bigger guns, but they turn incredibly slowly. The Aoba is again different, but much better. It's not as small and fast as the Tenryu and Kuma, but it has pretty good guns which turn pretty quick, it's pretty maneuverable and pretty fast. The Aoba and up all follow the same pattern, to best my knowledge, though I've only gotten as high as the Aoba and a few games in the Mogami before the wipe.

I spent most of the gold I got with the Yubari converting elite XP to get past the Furutaka.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDavenport View Post

To clarify Sayt's post a bit, the Kuma and below are light cruisers, so play much like a big destroyer, although with decent guns and nice long range for their tier.

The Furutaka is an armoured cruiser and plays like a battleship lite, although without the armour, hp buffer and big guns. Exacerbating the issue is that its main battery is 200mm (203 with the upgrade), so the Commander skills that help reload times and gun turning speed no longer apply or work at a reduced effect.
    It's not bad once you adjust your expectations and get used to it, but it's a massive shock to the system from the Kuma and it helps significantly if you have experience with playing battleships (having a separate commander for the Furutaka is also a good idea).

I can't say above the Furutaka as I'm midway through the grind for that.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    To clarify Sayt's post a bit, the Kuma and below are light cruisers, so play much like a big destroyer, although with decent guns and nice long range for their tier.
    So, the Kuma and the Tenryu, since the Hachidate and Chikuma are gunboats and thus play more similarly to American cruisers of their tier than destroyers.

And more specifically, the Kuma and Tenryu play like large American destroyers; your primary weapons are your guns, because you have to get well within detection range to use your torpedoes. IJN destroyers can (and should try to) kill without ever getting close enough to be spotted.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ugh. I hate Battleships. I don't like the play or the slow speed or anything about them...however, I'm forced to play them to get the CVs.

There are only two things I think need changed.

1. Making me run through BBs to get to CVs.
    2. The speed and range of torpedoes (with the damage they cause) is too extremely. Frankly, the most dangerous ship on the ocean is a DD or fast IJN cruiser....which is NOT what history has proven to be true.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

The big battles of the Pacific were mostly fought at ranges at which nothing but carriers really mattered. And even in the game, I've seen carrier drivers rack up the highest scores. However, if you're unfamiliar with the potential effectiveness of destroyers engaging battleships and cruisers, you might want to look up Taffy 3, which, in one of the exceptions to the above rule, held back a vastly superior IJN force.

All that said, the damage rendering in WoWS is not very realistic. It's not intended to be; the point is that combat between two ships of the same tier should primarily be determined by skill.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzac View Post
    2. The speed and range of torpedoes (with the damage they cause) is too extremely. Frankly, the most dangerous ship on the ocean is a DD or fast IJN cruiser....which is NOT what history has proven to be true.
    Don't drive in straight lines.

Unless someone is launching torpedoes too close for you to react (in which case why were you letting them get that close), you should be taking minimal if any damage from them because they should be missing you.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Don't drive in straight lines.

Unless someone is launching torpedoes too close for you to react (in which case why were you letting them get that close), you should be taking minimal if any damage from them because they should be missing you.
    I actually don't have an extremely difficult time with DDs as I can see them (most of the time) and keep track of potential locations. The biggest problem I have with torps is not the damage or the stealth...its the reload time. They reload as fast as a Battleship's main armament, which is what truly makes them too powerful in my book.

I remember Taffy 3, but I would say that is an outlier, much like the success of the IJN destroyers in the Guadalcanal Express night battles which play right into the hands of the Long Lance torpedoes.

I like the game overall, Aircraft are a bit too able to get through the flak cloud (at least through Tier V). Torpedo bombers need to come in slower and lower for longer than they do in the game, however, they are counterable if only the CV drivers would keep a fighter around the major concentration of allied ships.

28. - Top - End - #148

Flumph

I actually don't have an extremely difficult time with DDs as I can see them (most of the time) and keep track of potential locations. The biggest problem I have with torps is not the damage or the stealth...its the reload time. They reload as fast as a Battleship's main armament, which is what truly makes them too powerful in my book.
    The point is that torpedoes are only dangerous to bad players. They're easy to dodge if you pay attention, don't drive in straight lines when destroyers are around, turn into torpedo bombers when they're coming for you, and generally play like you don't want to be hit by torpedoes.

In other news: Further episodes of How To Omaha.

Spoiler
    Show

(Yes, some poor bastard drove an Albany in a tier 5 game, it was a mercy killing....)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

The biggest problem I have with torps is not the damage or the stealth...its the reload time. They reload as fast as a Battleship's main armament, which is what truly makes them too powerful in my book.
    and during that 30~ sec you are a paper boat made of hopes and dreams. As long as whatever you are targeting isn't derping off all by itself, there should be a cruiser that can end you nearby. Whereas a BB generally takes a bit of work to kill.

I real engagement terms, you won't get a reload. or you will get one more before you sink. If you aren't in an actual engagement, the speed doesn't matter, because you can keep stealthing around.

honestly I like the torp mechanic... it is artillery without the sky cancer name calling.
    If you can hit me with a torp, it was because I was playing poorly. As long as you aren't a destroyer and the torp doesn't get a citadel, you can generally tank 1-2 torp hits in a game. Honestly that is a very fair margin of error.

BBs are the most fun to jink torp spreads in. It is a pain, but if you can it is so worth it. guiding a wyoming through a gap in a spread makes you feel like a leaf on the wind.

I will admit the torp bombers can be a pain if you can't turn into the spread, but they are a per game resource.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

They only reload as fast as BB guns when you first get into destroyers. By the time you get to tier 3-4, it's taking 45-50 seconds to reload. It gets slower as you progress up the tree; at tier 10, it takes more than 2 minutes to reload.
    Spoiler
    Show