New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: A Depthless Sorrow IC (A Dungeon World Campaign)

"So, do we have to go by the goblin camp? It'll probably end in a fight..." Xeno says as they walk through the snow-covered landscape. "I mean, wouldn't it be better to find another way around? Or we could try and talk to the goblins. I know it didn't work out so well last time, but they're clever enough to build societies, so they are probably as interested in avoiding dangerous fights like we are, right? He asks in a hopeful tone.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

"It would add days to our journey to try to go around, and I am not certain we have the provisions or stamina to make a journey of that length." Morgan looked around at her companions. They probably all had the stamina. Morgan might even survive the trip. But the provisions were a valid concern.

"Turning back to town is, however, an option if you do not feel up to handling the danger."

The necromancer peered at Jawdat. It was odd to feel such a mind in what appeared to be a beast.

>>The dwarf seems like an important resource in this quest, and certainly respectable enough. Castor glows with a fate not of his own making, and he is blind to his own light that seeks to guide him from within. The man-child, on the other hand, his mind has been damaged, and requires healing. However, a deep wound, left unbandaged, will not heal, it will only fester. I fear his wound has gone untreated for too long. All I can do is attempt to bind it tightly, and hope that his sense return.<<
    Last edited by EclecticGuru; 2015-06-15 at 12:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Its... its not about being able to handle it. I just don't like having to hurt people. And goblins are kinda people too..." Xeno answers, an uncomfortable look crossing his face before giving way to an only slightly forced smile. "Besides, the last goblins we met where a lot better at the whole hurting people thing than me. And I dont want anything to happen to you guys. You're my friends, after all."

Taking a few quick steps, Xeno straightens his back and squares his shoulders, a determined look on his face. "But dont worry Morgan. I promise to pull my weight. I can be tough, I swear. Thats part of being an adventurer."
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2015-06-15 at 01:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124

Griffon

Jawdat's circling of the area reveals nothing! Her sharp raptor's eyes reveal nothing, the horses which pulled the cart are nowhere to be seen, there are no tracks, probably due to the falling snow. However, as you swoop closer you realise that the cart has been there, flipped onto its side, for some time. The surrounding forest is quiet, you see the movement of the odd small beast and your talons twitch, no signs of wolves, bears or other predators- either it's too close to the road for them to feel comfortable or they are absent from this area...which would be unusual!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

"Could we kill two birds with one stone, so to speak?" He peers about a little, unsure of where the invisible raptor now flies. "No offense Jawdat."

"What if we scoot off the road to take a look at this ruin, and avoid the goblins in the same loop? If it's not on the map, there's a reasonable chance there might be something worth taking a look at. Treasure, ancient tomes, or maybe even something related to whatever it is we're looking for."

6. - Top - End - #126

Griffon

Gregor pauses, I know this part of Landfell, granted it's been a number of years since I was last here, but I don't remember any ruins at all! He looks at Castor, There is some merit in your idea of exploring these ruins, who knows what they may contain....but... a grimace crosses his face, avoiding Beirig's Point will add days to our journey...I cannot leave it that long. Do what you feel you must, but I will forge on ahead, one may sneak silently where a group might smash through!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Morgan can feel Jawdat's surprise as she gives her opinions on their traveling companions. The druid's feelings soon turn more positive as acceptance and respect form. A glimmer of her inner thoughts show a liking to her bluntness. Also, the fact that she's repeatedly telling herself not to swoop down and grab a nearby rodent. Not to flee from the humans on the road. Not to freak out at her own inability to see her wings. The thoughts repeating until like a flow of water they slowly dwindling to a dripping drop as the information terminates. >>Sorry.<<

>>I agree we can't go around. I won't be so bold as to agree with the dwarf's words, however. I'm in no hurry to turn my trudge into a sprint. I can only hope that he thinks he can handle whatever problems lie ahead by himself or else I'll have to see him as reckless. Perhaps, even manipulative. After we inspect the cart I do want to continue onward; however, I'd only do so as a group.<<

At castor's bird remark she caws aloud and laughs silently to Morgan, >>I kill and eat birds. An animal dying doesn't have to be a wrongdoing. You or he needn't watch all of your words so closely around me.<<

8. - Top - End - #128

PirateGuy

Morgan considered, momentarily, relaying Jawdat's assurance that no offense was taken by the killing birds comment. But after that moment passed, she decided to err on the side of silence. To speak of the comment further would give it more credit than it was due.

>> I'm sure our lovely bard isn't going to lose any sleep over it. << Whether she intended to direct the thought to the invisible druid or if it rose to the surface unbidden, one could not be entirely sure.

"Let us inspect the cart, but let us take care to do so. The cart did not arrive here on its own, certainly. And its placement here may not be a coincidence. Be alert to danger, even more so than usual."

The young necromancer drew in a slow deep cold breath and held it in her lungs before slowly exhaling, a plume of frosty air exuded from her lips and nostrils.

Damn this cold. It was worse than a wight's tomb.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Okie-dokie, Morgan." Xeno says with a smile. "Maybe the wagon belongs to someone from the dwarf outpost. It might tell us something useful."

He pauses, a thoughtful expression on his face. "Or maybe there's some interesting and fascinating stuff in it."

"I hope there's something cool in the wagon, like a dragon egg, or a magic helmet... Or a magic dragon egg WEARING a helmet!"
    He mumbles to himself, skipping along energetically.

Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2015-06-17 at 08:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

PirateGuy

Morgan growled quietly under her breath as Xeno gibbered about dragon eggs and helmets and other such nonsense.

11. - Top - End - #131

Griffon

Rounding the bend you see the overturned wagon ahead of you, lying on its side as if it had been batted off the road! As you approach you see snow piled on the upturned side and piled high in a drift against the side, once the undercarriage.
    If you wipe the snow off the surface you notice old, faded scorch marks marring the side and wheels facing the sky. The blackened wood and iron have clearly suffered in their travels, but the wagon held together, testament to it's dwarven design and manufacture.
    The cloth flapping in the wind conceals the inside of the wagon and what it may contain...

12. - Top - End - #132

Griffon

As they walk up, Castor sighs as he notes the burn marks. "I do hope it isn't actually a dragon."

He looks around a moment to see if anyone is going to do anything. He goes over the situation in his head. It's probably nothing, just an overturned cart. Great time to act heroic. I mean, I guess there could be a bear under there. Do bears live in wagons? That doesn't sound right. I'll ask Jawdat later, unless there is a bear under there.

He puffs up his chest and stands up. "No worry friends, I'll find out what's under there." He quietly makes his way forward, extending his rapier and using the tip to flip open the concealing cloth.
    Last edited by jaydubs; 2015-06-18 at 11:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Griffon

Castor's sword tip flicks away the cloth, baring the wagons innards. The wood, blackened by flame, is scored and battered, dark stains which you guess are blood have seeped into the wood.
    Lying in the wagon you see the corpses of two dwarfs, one curled up, the other stretched out, twisted, her back arched as if in pain, a look of agony on her face. Both are clad in leather and chain, on the shoulder of the second dwarf you see a symbol- a upright clenched iron gauntlet. Both corpses are stuck with crudely fletched arrows, Castor recognises them as goblin made- crude but still deadly. Carved into the flesh of the dwarves are hundreds of tiny runes; filled with black, dried blood they stand out stark against the frozen dead faces.
    Suddenly a deathly howl rips from the throats of both dwarves, the runes glow and their eyes glow. Both lurch to their feet and lunge at the bard, hands out stretched, grasping, grabbing.
    Castor's shock slows him as he twists and slips, unable to avoid their grasp as both take hold, their fingers digging into him. The first, the dwarf who was curled up, grabs Castor's leg. He manages to flick his sword point into the undead dwarf's chest but it's armour deflects the blow. He feels a searing cold burn into himat it's touch. The second dwarf seizes Castor's arm but his armour turns aside it's painful touch.

Spoiler: Dead Dwarf Combat
    Show

Damage Taken-
    Dead Dwarf 1- 0
    Dead Dwarf 2- 0
    Castor- 1
    Xeno- 0
    Jawday- 0
    Morgan- 0
    Gregor- 0
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Dwarf 1
    Dwarf 2
    Castor
    Xeno/Morgan/Jawdat- whoever posts first
    Gregor

Last edited by Megatron46; 2015-06-19 at 05:48 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134

PirateGuy

A normal person would revile from these unholy abominations -- the defilement of corpses, the black rune magic, the cold hungry undeath that consumed the two dwarves. Morgan, on the other hand, was intrigued. For the first time since they left the damned town, with all the misery of not being able to sleep -- of being cold all the time -- she felt ... normal.

This was what she did, these sorts of things were her expertise. They were terrible monsters, certainly, a corruption of life into something wicked. But more than that -- someone took a good deal of time, effort, and power .. to create them.

The craft itself, intrigued the young necromancer, and she took a moment to take their nature in. Surely she's seen, heard, or read about something like this before ... ?

Spoiler: Spout Lore Roll
    Show
    Spout Lore: (2d6+3)[14]

15. - Top - End - #135

Griffon

Spoiler: Morgan
    Show
    This is indeed Dark Rune Magic- something your old master excelled in, but he was not the only one! An obscure practice even for the blackest of necromancers, this type of rune working takes time, a lot of time. You notice that the runes carved into the undead flesh have been done hastily. Whoever did this was either a novice working hard or a master working very, very fast!
    The result is that you realise these abominations are vulnerable to arcane power- magic will inflict more damage than simple force of arms!

16. - Top - End - #136

PirateGuy

"The dark runes are hastily, or incompetently, inscribed." She harkened back to her lessons with the Dread Necromancer for a moment. He had told her that schemes, plots, should never be executed in haste. That the fruit of each plot must be allowed to bear fruit. No, this was not his work, this was the work of a fool.

"Xeno, we must strike these rune-wights with the full force of our magic."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"A-Alright!" Xeno answers hesitantly, glancing nervously back and forth between Morgan and the Undead dwarves. "I'll have to release my spell on Jawie first, though..."

As he prepares to gather his energy. Xeno catches a better glimpse of the horrific appearance of the dwarves, and can't help but take a step back. "How horrible... No one deserves to be killed and manipulated like that..." He whimpers, his face drawn in horror.
    He then shakes his head, trying to focus on the magical energy needed to protect his friends.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2015-06-19 at 11:33 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

Griffon

Castor hisses a bit at the touch of the creature. "Damn! Get off me dead thing!"

He attempts to slice at the creature's grip while slipping out of its grasp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's another defy danger roll.
    (2d6+1)[12]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

As he releases the spell of invisibility, Xeno once more feels the necessary magical energy return. Pulling as much ambient energy as he can, he slowly raises a hand, palm upwards. "Caecus. Sagitta..." He utters with his eyes closed in concentration.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xeno tries to cast Magic missile on the zombie dwarf attacking Castor.
    Cast spell: (2d6+1)[7]

Damage, if successful: (2d4)[5]

But just as he senses the magical energies starting to coalesce, a sharp pang goes through his head as his headache returns with a vengeance.
    "Ahhh..." He moans in equal parts pain and frustration, taking a step back and clutching his head.
    With a violent shake he clears his head and turns his gaze on the dead dwarf ripping at his bard friend. "Vis!" He exclaims, and from his outstretched palm a brilliant spear of multi-colored energy soars forward, straight at the dwarf.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2015-06-20 at 01:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

PirateGuy

"Excellent, Xeno! Excellent!" Morgan shouted, her usual calm discipline disrupted by her zeal for arcane knowledge, her thirst for power, her blissful delight at overcoming foes through a combination of the two.

>>Jawdat, now! Strike while the iron is hot!<< The slender necromancer extended a hand toward the rune-wights and bent her arm slightly at the elbow while clenching her upturned fist in the universally recognized sign-language signal of CRUSH THEM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Griffon

Castor struggles free of the undead horrors, his skin crawling at their touch, he whips his blade round, it's razor sharp tip sliding between the armour digging deep into the undead flesh! It roars, it's mouth widening more than would be natural it's teeth broken and jagged. As it's mouth opens you hear a high pitched whine, Dear God please help me, help me, in Openne's name, PLEASE,".
    As soon as Castor is free Xeno runs forward and the circling Jawdat appears in her falcon form high above the combat! The lance of power streaks from the young mage's hand and strikes the dead thing's chest, it falls to the ground, whatever unholy energies animating it leaving it's lifeless corpse. The other dwarf turns and snarls at Xeno, it's dead eyes fixed on him!
    Show

Damage Taken-
    Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
    Dead Dwarf 2- 0
    Castor- 1
    Xeno- 0
    Jawday- 0
    Morgan- 0
    Gregor- 0
    Show

Dwarf 1
    Dwarf 2
    Castor
    Xeno/Morgan/Jawdat- whoever posts first
    Gregor

22. - Top - End - #142

PirateGuy

Reassessing the situation, the corner of Morgan's lips curved up in a cruel sneer at the dwarf that had turned its attention on Xeno. With a slight arching of a carefully sculpted eyebrow, she unclenched her fist and turned it, palm down, toward the squatly formed rune-wraith.

"Pilum Arcanum!" A dark energy formed around her hand, building up in power, before she thrust it toward the abomination.

Spoiler: Cast Spell
    Show
    Cast Spell (Magic Missile) (2d6+2)[9]
    Damage (If successful) (2d4)[3]

23. - Top - End - #143

Griffon

Morgan's spell wraps round the undead dwarf and it writhes in agony as the dark runes clash with her own necromantic power!
    Show

Damage Taken-
    Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
    Dead Dwarf 2- 4
    Castor- 1
    Xeno- 0
    Jawdat- 0
    Morgan- 0
    Gregor- 0
    Show

Dwarf 1
    Dwarf 2
    Castor
    Xeno
    Morgan
    Jawdat
    Gregor

Last edited by Megatron46; 2015-06-22 at 01:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

Griffon

Jawdat’s form appears high in the winter sky as Xeno draws his magic back into himself! Her falcon’s eyes targeting the undead creature and she plummets. Extending her talons she drives them into its skull, ripping out a chunk of flesh before spiralling back up into the sky with a piercing shriek.
    Gregor’s eyes narrow Abominations! In the eyes of Huw and Openne you are unnatural horrors! Go back to where you belong The dwarven cleric charges forward, his tattoos suddenly glowing a bright white as he swing his hammer, smashing it into the undead’s torso but it’s armour turns aside the blow. As the undead dwarf continues to plead and wail for death, its mouth opened wide in a twisted grimace of horror and rage, it lashes out at Gregor, hooked fingers reaching and rending. The cleric scrambles back and raises his shield in time to block the beast’s attack.
    The horror suddenly turns its gaze on Xeno, its undead eyes fill with unholy glee, dark ichor streaking down its face from the druid’s attack and with blistering speed charges the young mage. Ploughing through the snow it grasps at Xeno, its fingers gouging into his flesh, ripping and tearing. The wizard slips his hands down to his staff and lashes out, catching the dead thing in the side of its head, staggering it slightly …
    Show

Damage Taken-
    Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
    Dead Dwarf 2- 9
    Castor- 1
    Xeno- 3
    Jawdat- 0
    Morgan- 0
    Gregor- 0
    Show

Dwarf 1
    Dwarf 2
    Castor- YOUR TURN
    Xeno
    Morgan
    Jawdat
    Gregor

25. - Top - End - #145

Griffon

Castor brings his blade up, and begins to whisper out a chain of cutting words onto the metal surface. They form a weave of flowing letters over the held weapon, and their sharpened tones snicker-snack around the rapier as he drives it towards the undead dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Art: (2d6+2)[5]
    Hack and Slash: (2d6+1)[6]
    Damage if successful: (1d6)[3] plus (1d4)[2]

26. - Top - End - #146

Griffon

Castor's magic flows down the blade, the dancing letters shift and swirl as the bard darts forward. The undead monster turns at the last minute, the blade missing by a hair's breadth and Castor loses his footing in the snow and falls.
    It's dead eyes now fixed on the helpless Castor rather than Xeno it lashes out again. It's fingers, jagged bone having ripped through the skin, score down the back of Castor's armour, blunting it's damage slightly but still hurting the bard, you feel blood seeping out from these fresh wounds.

Show

Damage Taken-
    Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
    Dead Dwarf 2- 9
    Castor- 4
    Xeno- 3
    Jawdat- 0
    Morgan- 0
    Gregor- 0
    Show

Dwarf 1
    Dwarf 2
    Castor
    Xeno- YOUR TURN
    Morgan
    Jawdat
    Gregor

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"NO!" Xeno yells desperately. "Leave my friend alone, you horrible thing!"
    He spreads out his arms and moves them through a circular motion, his hands meeting midway to both point palm first towards the dead dwarf.

"Caecus, Sagitta, Vis!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Xeno casts Magic missile once more.
    cast spell:
    (2d6+1)[7]

Damage, if successful:
    (2d4)[5]

Much like previously, a mulit-colored spear of energy surges out from his hands and soars toward the dwarf, hitting with tremendous force in a burst of light.
    As the spell is released, however, it is followed by Xeno's migraine which returns with twice the intensity of before. With a moan of pain Xeno falls to his knees, clutching his head. ​"Ahhh, it hurts..."
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2015-06-25 at 08:08 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Griffon

Xeno's power slams into the dwarf, smashing it to the ground; whatever dark magicks giving it un-life leaving its ruined corpse.
    Gregor stumps up, glaring at the bodies, he drops his hammer and shield, turning over the bodies, both dwarves have the clenched gauntlet sigil on their armour, Ahhhhh, the Gods bless them, they're from Admira's Tor; this sigil is their garrison's. He looks up the others, Do any of you need healing? Huw's grace can mend your wounds!

Spoiler: Xeno and Castor
    Show
    One of you can heal 8 hp the other can heal 2hp

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Well, I wouldn't say no to a bit of healing..." Xeno says, sitting back on his rump with a tired sigh, then starting to inspect the wounds he got from the undead. "But what I would like even more is to rest. My magic backlashed more than usual today, and I'm not sure I could do much with it until this headache goes away."
    Turning to look at the sun and the mountains in turn, He scratches his head gingerly.
    "Also, if we continue I don't think we'd be there before night. I dont think it would be smart to go through the pass at night. We might fall, or something. And can't goblins see in the dark 'n stuff?"

30. - Top - End - #150

Griffon

Castor rubs appreciatively at the now-closed wound on his back. "Thank you Gregor. Feels much better." He then nods at Xeno's suggestion, brushing off some of the dirt from the scuffle. "Sounds good to me. You did pretty good back there, and I want you in top shape covering my back if we're likely to meet those things again." He throws the young man a grin.

He turns meaningfully towards Morgan, raising a questioning eyebrow. "Does that seem likely to you? Running into more of those things, I mean."