New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default GFDL and gaming systems

I'm currently considering creating a gaming system, and I want it to be an open game, however I do not want to use the OGL. So I thought of licensing it under the GFDL (GNU Free Documenting License), which seems to fit what I want perfectly.

Now I just need to know some things before I go ahead.

I was thinking of creating a core system similar to GURPS's core in that any genre of roleplaying could be used with it, if people bother to make it and allowing anyone to exactly that. Would any of you be interested in that?

I just hate the lack of use for the D12 in RPGs and would love to use many D12s in it, how do you feel about this?

Now, those of you who only like the systems they use and don't want to change to another system, I'd appreciate it if you do not barrage this thread with posts about there being no need for other systems.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: GFDL and gaming systems

You need a lawyer, not a message board.

Edit: For licensing advice, I mean.
    Last edited by Tellah; 2007-04-22 at 01:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The world always needs new systems. Always :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Use of d12's sounds...interesting. If you finish and need any playtesting or whatever PM me and I'd be happy to oblige with a number of various scenarios.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tellah View Post
    You need a lawyer, not a message board.

Edit: For licensing advice, I mean.
    I'm not asking on advice for licensing, and I can't afford a lawyer (those guys are expensive, you know)
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterspin View Post
    The world always needs new systems. Always :)
    Thanks, I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by DnDestruction View Post
    Use of d12's sounds...interesting. If you finish and need any playtesting or whatever PM me and I'd be happy to oblige with a number of various scenarios.
    Thanks.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    I just hate the lack of use for the D12 in RPGs and would love to use many D12s in it, how do you feel about this?
    I have to be honest; the desire to use more D12's strikes me as about the silliest possible reason to create a game system...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

It all depends on how it works. There are some significant problems with most gaming systems, and it is very likely that your system will have its own share of problems. If it has enough innovative or interesting ideas, however, I'd be happy to try it out.

I don't have any problem with using more d12s, and if you incorporate it well, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't play a system just because it used more d12s.
    My Characters:
    Henning Baer: Forest of Friedland

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Check out Advanced Heroquest. It just about only uses d12s.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
    I have to be honest; the desire to use more D12's strikes me as about the silliest possible reason to create a game system...

That's me, totally insane and diagnosed genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
    It all depends on how it works. There are some significant problems with most gaming systems, and it is very likely that your system will have its own share of problems. If it has enough innovative or interesting ideas, however, I'd be happy to try it out.
    This is similar to how I expected people to react. It's supposed to become sort of the free/cheap alternative for GURPS. Compatible with any setting and either cheap (physical copies, the GNFL makes republishing it on the internet for free completely legal) or free (probably only internet and promotional copies, maybe physical copies with ads inside_

Quote Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
    I don't have any problem with using more d12s, and if you incorporate it well, I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't play a system just because it used more d12s.
    The primary calculations I did for the system (named Universal Open RPG (UORPG) as a development name) work out quite nicely with d12s.

Quote Originally Posted by TomTheRat View Post
    Check out Advanced Heroquest. It just about only uses d12s.
    Unless it's an open game I most likely won't, I have a distinct lack of money currently.
    ٩๏̯͡๏

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well let me know if you want someone to look over things or if you need play testers. I'm not exceptional at breaking things, but I can give it a try.
    My Characters:
    Henning Baer: Forest of Friedland

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    I'm currently considering creating a gaming system, and I want it to be an open game, however I do not want to use the OGL. So I thought of licensing it under the GFDL (GNU Free Documenting License), which seems to fit what I want perfectly.
    The Free RPG Community has a brief analysis of different licenses which may help. It touches on GPL, GFDL. DSL, OGL, and CCPL while explaining why they chose GPL.

Now I just need to know some things before I go ahead.

I was thinking of creating a core system similar to GURPS's core in that any genre of roleplaying could be used with it, if people bother to make it and allowing anyone to exactly that. Would any of you be interested in that?
    GURPS is too detailed for me personally, I've been leaning towards lighter systems recently. Hope it works out though!

What die is used (or not used) is immaterial in my opinion. The best systems are those were the mechanics fade into the background. Simple, intuitive, and fast mechanics which allow the players to "tell the story".

Now, those of you who only like the systems they use and don't want to change to another system, I'd appreciate it if you do not barrage this thread with posts about there being no need for other systems.
    Good luck creating your system. You might consider looking at some of the other free systems also...there are several out there.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small