New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Q for Rob & Jamie re License/Fan Content Guidelines -- Image Tagging

It occurs to me that it might be a good idea to include some appropriate boilerplate in the tags of the avatar images I've been creating, along the lines of:

Artist Name: Jamie Noguchi
    Copyright: ©2006/2007 (depending) Jamie Noguchi*
    Comment: From Erfworld (www.erfworld.com); writing by Rob Balder, art by Jamie Noguchi. Image used and modified under the terms authorized by the copyright owners (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29092) under the Creative Commons License.

*Should that list both names, notwithstanding that the avatar uses the image and not the writing (directly)? I wouldn't want to misrepresent anything.

Any comments on the appropriateness of those tags, or suggestions for improvement? It strikes me as a good idea, if only to foster awareness that this is being done by permission rather than the generic notion that it's OK in general.

Also, a suggestion: It might be a good idea to put a copy of the policy stuff on a page of its own for purposes of such links.

Edit: Depending on image format, it may or may not be possible to actually tag images. In any case, attaching an appropriate credit in a sigline where it's clearly presented is more important.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-04-22 at 12:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Q for Rob & Jamie re License/Fan Content Guidelines -- Image Tagging

I have no problems with that approach for now, though the copyright should be attributed to both of us. However, clarification of the content guidelines is long overdue and will be handled at some point in the intermediate future.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips