New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: OOTS #988 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by quixotess View Post
    Yeah, looking at her previous conversations, Andi seems to be nursing a number of grievances against Bandanna, some legit and some less so. I'm sure she's not the only crew member who's been muttering about having a vampire on board. She thinks Bandanna is a "kid," and this comic isn't the first time that she's taken Bandanna's remarks in the worst possible way. I'm guessing that she and Bandanna already didn't care for each other very much, but when Julio was the captain, they were both able to pretty much just do their jobs. Now that Bandana's giving orders to Andi (and Andi obviously doesn't think Bandanna should have been left in charge), they're getting a lot more chances to rub each other the wrong way.
    Definitely sensing a blow-up in the future on that score. This clearly isn't just a matter of Andi's personality; I think it's no accident that we got to see how friendly and personable she can be in 961. That strip also gives her main stated reason for disliking Bandanna - though it's hard to tell age ranges in OOTS, I'd bet that Bandanna (like Haley) is in her early-mid twenties while Andi is in her thirties.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd wear Julio's outfit. Maybe not to fight the Ogre-Witch of Rupture Ravine, but perhaps to something like one of Tarquin's weddings.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Did Bandana trade her short sword to Haley for the dagger? I doubt the Giant would make a mistake like that so...something's up.

I don't think it's because the short sword was sized for gnomes, though. If it were then Haley's dagger would have been a pen knife and it clearly wasn't in her fight with Crystal.

Off panel actions can be sooooo difficult to figure out. Difficult but fun, that is.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Again some quarrel between Andi and Bandana.

I don't really get why Felix is sad. Haley does not seem to be turning him down

Had Julio been dressed by other peoples for so long?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck617 View Post
    Also, was I the only one who misread this title to mean "A whole lot less swordfighting" rather than "Not even taking into account swordfighting"?
    I read it that way too, but honestly, I often read the title one way before reading the strip, and another afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathund View Post
    Also, I already had a suspicion Andy might be Bandana's ex, but that suspicion is slowly getting stronger. Or was it already confirmed? Either way, she's not the most likeable character so far.
    I don't think so. Even if Andi wears leather armor (and I'm not sure the mechanic would wear armor), why leave it in someone else's closet rather than take it with you, if you're living on the same ship? It makes more sense if the ex left it behind and also left the ship. Plus I may be wrong, but I have a feeling Andi would have made a comment if Bandana had given Haley her armor without asking. And finally, I think it's a bit weird to refer to someone as "a kid" if you used to date them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Maybe it made more sense before the comic was changed? As it is though, I interpret it as Felix trying to do a nice thing (and making a lot of effort, too, including picking the right sizes and colour schemes) and instead of getting thanked, he's told the people wanted to do it themselves (that's not how Haley meant it, but it could easily be how he interpreted it). Trying to do a nice thing and then feeling like you messed up can make someone sad.

My own reaction to the comic: I like the dynamics between Andi and Bandana. Two characters I like individually, who are pretty different, and seem to grate each other. I wonder what will come out of it. I also enjoy seeing more development from Felix. I enjoyed this strip a lot, although I'm annoyed I missed the first version and may never know what the exact differences are. Doesn't really matter since this one is the official one, I guess.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    In fact, she might be the closest the strip has come to the sterotypical Tech/IT Support worker (V has come close at times, but this seems to be slightly different). I can see a ship engineer fitting that role quite nicely. Makes for a new set of jokes and dynamics at the very least.
    Andi even has a boss that assumes that anything they don't understand must be easy, and that limitations are for other people to worry about.

I have no idea what that might feel like. None at all *grumble*grumble*I'm not even trained in computer programming why is this now my job?*grumble*

I think this post made me like Andi more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    And finally, I think it's a bit weird to refer to someone as "a kid" if you used to date them.
    Eh, I can see it. If a perceived lack of maturity led to the breakup, then I could see how Andi might mentally peg Bandana as kid and for it to stick. A bad enough breakup, and Andi will see any little thing as confirming that Bandana is an immature twerp, and will ignore any signs that she actually is growing and learning, or possibly was never all that immature to being with.

All that said, I agree with you on the armor. There is one logical explanation, that Bandana bought it for her girlfriend, and said girlfriend gave it back after the breakup, but its a stretch. So, even if Andi is Bandana's ex, I don't think she's that ex.
    Last edited by Blue_C.; 2015-05-28 at 04:20 AM.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #67

Julio a bad dresser? That's a strain on my suspension of disbelief.... I figured that a dashing swordsman wouldn't need a personal advisor. So it seems that not all prerequisites need to be inherent, a temporarily buff was sufficient to enter the PrC then. Once again, nothing is what it seems to be...
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Maybe it made more sense before the comic was changed?
    Reading first posts, Haley did turn him down before the change. She says Durkon will cast Endure Elements and that the coats are useless. But she had said the opposite before.

Elan seems to emphasize that Haley didn't like the intention (I, for one), it's weird. Maybe because he's very emphatic!
    Last edited by Quild; 2015-05-28 at 05:01 AM.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

9. - Top - End - #69

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
    Julio a bad dresser? That's a strain on my suspension of disbelief.... I figured that a dashing swordsman wouldn't need a personal advisor. So it seems that not all prerequisites need to be inherent, a temporarily buff was sufficient to enter the PrC then. Once again, nothing is what it seems to be...
    Julio's clearly got the Cha to pull off any outfit, no matter how ridiculous (and no matter who's wearing it ). But he doesn't necessarily have the Wis to throw together one that doesn't strain the eyes. Or maybe the Giant decided that Hinjo shouldn't stand for all colorblind people.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

DruidGirl

It feels off that Bandana feels guilty about eating. The "eating is sin" rhetoric is a rather modern thing. (Except for ascetic monks and the like). I just can't imagine Bandana reading magazines that advertise dieting for a skinny look.

But maybe Julio forces all crew members to diet so that they look good in the background.

Edit: And he clearly wore that horrible outfit so that one of his crew members could heroically save him.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2015-05-28 at 05:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

It is interesting to see that when there are hostilities between characters the forum automatically asumes they are the result of a bad break-up. This tell me more about their dating life then I ever needed to know :P

I rather like Andi, she adds an extra bit of humour. Andi also seems to establish that Bandana isn't a great captain yet, she is just very keen to be a captain. This gives Bandana room to grow, which in a story is always a good thing.

To me this currently looks like the classic relationship between two co-workers who got along fine (not good, just fine) until one got promoted to be in charge of the other. One tries to hard to be in charge (insisting to be called Boss or in this case Captain) the other doesn't really give the other a chance (seeing them as a Kid)
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

12. - Top - End - #72

DwarfClericGuy

Julio's outfit probably could have killed the Ogre on its own.

Thinking back, Felix probably had the outfits laid out so that Julio could change quickly for the montage.
    FTDWIR

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    It feels off that Bandana feels guilty about eating. The "eating is sin" rhetoric is a rather modern thing. (Except for ascetic monks and the like). I just can't imagine Bandana reading magazines that advertise dieting for a skinny look.

But maybe Julio forces all crew members to diet so that they look good in the background.

Edit: And he clearly wore that horrible outfit so that one of his crew members could heroically save him.
    I can buy it. Even without the "eating is sin" mentality, when someone eats a lot more than they normally do theyre still going to feel a little bit weird about it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    To me this currently looks like the classic relationship between two co-workers who got along fine (not good, just fine) until one got promoted to be in charge of the other. One tries to hard to be in charge (insisting to be called Boss or in this case Captain) the other doesn't really give the other a chance (seeing them as a Kid)
    Exactly how I see it - and in fairness to Andi she has given Bandana every chance, done what was needed while the boss swanned around with the passengers, prevented the ship for falling into the ocean only to be casually derided in front of virtual strangers, and on top of that the new temporary commander insists on being called by their temporary assumed role every-time anyone tries to talk to them.

Bandana is trying to demand the respect that she sees the title conferring without bothering to try and earn the respect - and also acting to diminish the accomplishments of others on her crew.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lightbulb Re: OOTS #988 - The Discussion Thread

"Gay is okay" is also quite a modern rhetoric. I'd argue that OotS is a modern comic against an old background.
    Last edited by Lathund; 2015-05-28 at 05:49 AM.
    EDIT: Hinjo is red-green colorblind. CANON.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Felix was right. That outfit was unwatchable.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2015-05-28 at 05:56 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmm, so Julio fought with your mama before eh?
    When people told you that you were dumb, they were being nice.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

annoyed Re: OOTS #988 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lkctgo View Post
    Hmm, so Julio fought with your mama before eh?
    Badum tiss...

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Interesting to see this conflict between Andi and Bandana growing stronger. Like Porthos, I am curious to see if there's more behind this feuding than it seems; nothing that Bandana has done has really provoked this kind of response. Also, seems like almost every strip Andi is in has some kind of mistake.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #80
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lathund View Post
    "Gay is okay" is also quite a modern rhetoric. I'd argue that OotS is a modern comic against an old background.
    There have always been homosexual people, and there likely always have been people with an opinion on homosexuality.

However, the idea to voluntarily limit one's eating even though one is still hungry, is a rather new idea. As is the idea to make up for it with exercise. Individual people may have felt the need to limit their eating, but the guilt-rhetoric needs a dominant skinny beauty ideal to flourish. And I didn't see proof of such an ideal before. (Everyone except the Empress looks thin, but as they're stick figures that doesn't mean too much)

Ah, well. Maybe we'll learn of the one time Bandana put everyone's lives at risk because she was too fat to fit through a tunnel, or the like. That would explain the guilt.

21. - Top - End - #81

RedWizardGuy

Haley fails the empathy check.

Perhaps it is just my perception... but Felix comes across as fitting certain stereotypes for being homosexual - was this on purpose Rich?

22. - Top - End - #82

AssassinGuy

Ugh, Julio going out in that shirt and that coat together has to fall somewhere South on the Alignment axis.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I laughed quite a lot at this comic, though like many others, I am most struck by the dynamic between Andi and Bandana. Seems to me that Andi doesn't like being told to do by someone with less experience than her former captain. I like both characters, so hopefully things work out okay.

Though was that casually racist comment really necessary, Andi? Sheesh, don't be mean to gnomes, that's a quick way to lose audience sympathy!

Also, I love the comic as is, though I can't help but be curious what it looked like last night. Ah, well. That's what I get for going to bed early!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

tongue Re: OOTS #988 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gusion View Post
    Haley fails the empathy check.

Perhaps it is just my perception... but Felix comes across as fitting certain stereotypes for being homosexual - was this on purpose Rich?
    Wait, if Bandana's gay and Felix too, they're... they're perfect for each other!

Yeah, no... I'll crawl back under a rock somewhere.
    Last edited by Lathund; 2015-05-28 at 06:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

I wonder how scoundrel is doing without this guys.

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    ... nothing that Bandana has done has really provoked this kind of response ...
    What kind of response?

Lets look at the interaction with some paraphrasing.
    Andi is helping the ship not fall apart and is directed to new work
    Bandana: Need you to fix the ship.
    Andi: Cool.

Andi walks down after saving the ship to speak to Bandana
    Andi: I have saved the ship Bandana - all the crew will not die now and we can proceed to where we need to be.
    Bandana: Call me Captain.

Andi points out a personal limitation of hers.
    Andi: We need new parts I can't fix this Bandana.
    Bandana: Cool - Tindertown should have them.

The cost of fixing of fixing the ship is confirmed.
    Bandana: Well we are screwed thanks to Andi's bundling.
    Andi: What the ... ?
    Bandana: Well all in the past.

Bandana after leaving Andi to manage the ship and Gnome contractors returns happy and laughing.
    Andi: Been managing these little freaks all day.
    Bandana: How are the repairs going.
    Andi: It'll get done.
    Bandana: Good go to it.
    Andi: Sure Bandana I will do that think that I said I would get done.
    Bandana: Thats Captain Bandana to you.

I don't think it's Andi that is out of line between them (although her gnome comment seems a bit harsh which is a separate matter).
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2015-05-28 at 07:13 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

However, the idea to voluntarily limit one's eating even though one is still hungry, is a rather new idea. As is the idea to make up for it with exercise. Individual people may have felt the need to limit their eating, but the guilt-rhetoric needs a dominant skinny beauty ideal to flourish. And I didn't see proof of such an ideal before. (Everyone except the Empress looks thin, but as they're stick figures that doesn't mean too much)
    Asceticism has taken that form for millennia. It hasn't typically been about personal beauty - it's more often about attempting to attain spiritual discipline of some kind by mastering one's bodily desires, or something along those lines - but voluntarily limiting one's food intake is hardly a modern concept in itself.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Asceticism has taken that form for millennia. It hasn't typically been about personal beauty - it's more often about attempting to attain spiritual discipline of some kind by mastering one's bodily desires, or something along those lines - but voluntarily limiting one's food intake is hardly a modern concept in itself.
    While true enough, I hardly think one can apply asceticism to Bandana

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

When I first opened the comic, before reading anything, my eyes immediately went to Julio and I thought "wow that's an ugly outfit"

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Again some quarrel between Andi and Bandana.

Had Julio been dressed by other peoples for so long?
    It still makes sense. Felix spent a lot of time picking out the perfect jackets, and Haley said she doesn't care what they look like, thus making his efforts in vain.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Exactly how I see it - and in fairness to Andi she has given Bandana every chance, done what was needed while the boss swanned around with the passengers, prevented the ship for falling into the ocean only to be casually derided in front of virtual strangers, and on top of that the new temporary commander insists on being called by their temporary assumed role every-time anyone tries to talk to them.

Bandana is trying to demand the respect that she sees the title conferring without bothering to try and earn the respect - and also acting to diminish the accomplishments of others on her crew.
    I went and read back, and every other member of the crew calls Banada Captain. However, Bandana is fine with non-members of the crew (such as the OOTS) calling her Bandana (or even B) even though it's not unusual to call the Captain of a ship you're staying on "Captain" when you're not part of the crew. She hasn't corrected Andi every single time, either. She did correct her more than once, however, and Andi is still the only crew member calling her Bandana. So I have to see that as something conscious on the part of Andi, at this point.

Bandana has also taken responsibility. She did say (to Andi) "three days in command and I'm already wrecking the ship". She didn't blame everyone else.

I get it, they push each other's buttons. But I like both of them and I would rather not misrepresent one of them. Bandana insists on being called "Captain" by her crew while she's the captain. Andi insists on calling her Bandana (but otherwise seems to respect her authority, at least to her face). They're both being stubborn in some way, and I suppose they both have understandable reasons. But you're making it sound like Bandana's completely unreasonable and Andi's completely reasonable and I have to disagree with that.