New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Bandana's Accent

Does Bandana's accent seem to be based on a specific real-world dialect? In 988 "Y'all" places her somewhere in the US south for me, but "Nah, I don't mind none." I'm not so familiar with.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Bandana's Accent

In Pennsylvania, you get such an odd mishmash of sayings and mannerisms its hard to keep them straight at times, even for a local. Rich's stated location is in Philly, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had a friend or two who live out in the mountains who speak like that.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Y'all" is distinctly un-Pennsylvania-mountains. You can find it nearly anywhere else in the US (especially the South, of course, but it can be anywhere) except in that region, which has a different established second-person-plural, "you'uns" (short for "you ones", and pronounced something like "yinz").
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    "Y'all" is distinctly un-Pennsylvania-mountains. You can find it nearly anywhere else in the US (especially the South, of course, but it can be anywhere) except in that region, which has a different established second-person-plural, "you'uns" (short for "you ones", and pronounced something like "yinz").
    I live in Pennsylvania and I say yall, as does my family...
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've placed her accent as vaguely Southern. I imagine the idea is to make Bandana sound less formal, contrasting with Vaarsuvius and Roy.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I've heard her with a slight southern twang ever since she was introduced. But honestly, I'm from Maine, and her accent could just as easily be placed here if it was just a little less rhotic.

I wonder if people from countries that aren't the US have any other impressions of it?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For some reason, in my head Bandana sounds distinctly "West Coast," from that more rural Northern California area. (Where, according to some friends of mine who live out there, 'y'all' is in common use.) Her excellent vocabulary means I can't attach a backwoods accent to her.
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 35

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Western PA and Eastern PA are pretty different.

Yinz is pretty specific to the Pittsburgh area.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2015-05-28 at 08:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Her excellent vocabulary means I can't attach a backwoods accent to her.
    You'd be surprised.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Her excellent vocabulary means I can't attach a backwoods accent to her.
    That's a common misconception, and anyone from that area would probably take offense. I once was given quite a smoking session in the army for a comment like that.
    Spoiler: What am I?
    Show
    My Games
    Demon Lord-Mepudon 4e:
    Recruitment;OOC;IC
    Dark Secrets of Havengul 4e:
    OOC; IC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I've been reading her in a Bostonian accent, personally. Some of her mannerisms seem a bit New England-y.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"Y'all" definitely says "south of the Mason-Dixon line" to me.

With that said, I imagine her having a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent.

I fully realize, having been there, that people from New Jersey do NOT have a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent; in fact, nobody does, it's basically a fictional accent.

However, this is a work of fiction, so I picture Bandana as having a Joisey/movie gangster accent -- "You stupid joik! It's coitains for you, pal!"
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Western PA and Eastern PA are pretty different.

Yinz is pretty specific to the Pittsburgh area.
    Pennsylvania is a mess of accents. Especially where I live, since its right smack dab in the middle of the state.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    "Y'all" definitely says "south of the Mason-Dixon line" to me.

With that said, I imagine her having a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent.

I fully realize, having been there, that people from New Jersey do NOT have a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent; in fact, nobody does, it's basically a fictional accent.

However, this is a work of fiction, so I picture Bandana as having a Joisey/movie gangster accent -- "You stupid joik! It's coitains for you, pal!"
    I dunno, I live almost as far north of the Mason-Dixon as you can get without entering Canada, but I still hear "y'all" with relative frequency, and say it with even more frequency

I still hear her accent as a southern US one, too, but perhaps that particular colloquialism is more widespread than you thought!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote Appalachian. "I don't mind none" sounds nifty with a twang/drawl to me, with those long "i"s turned into "ah"s. I'm not sure whether I'm thinking Pennsylvania, Kentucky, or Alabama Appalachian, but it definitely puts me in mind of the mountains.

Edit: oh, and just to throw some oil on the fire, I think it definitely ISN'T one of the non-rhotic American accents: Boston, Jersey, the Deep South. I think Bandana is meant to be pronouncing those "r"s. ...Of course, I could be wrong!
    Last edited by ella ventic; 2015-05-28 at 07:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hmm, my mental picture has been an Oklahoma/Texas kinda thing for her but I should go back and re read.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

As a non-native speaker, Bandana never sounded like a real person to me. Phrases like "I for-reals appreciate" and "I don't mind none" sound like a writer trying really hard to make a character appear street-smart and sassy, but I've never heard or read anyone talk like that. Considering that's probably true for most American accents though, that doesn't have to mean anything.
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

18. - Top - End - #18

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by kivzirrum View Post
    I wonder if people from countries that aren't the US have any other impressions of it?
    Yeah, that's the fun part: I really have no clue. I had the feeling it's meant to be more of a countryside accent than a city accent, but other than that - to me it's all the same. I wouldn't know the difference between a Californian or Texan or Pennsylvanian or Boston accent anyway, so, eh.
    It doesn't really matter that much, though. I know what it's supposed to illustrate (diversity, and that she's a little less... "high culture", so to say), so it's fine.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zordrath View Post
    As a non-native speaker, Bandana never sounded like a real person to me.
    Oh, so true. Most English I hear is from TV (so, let's say, BBC and Hollywood), people from my own country in their broken English, or exchange students (from which it's sometimes hard to hear if they're actually speaking English). All these accents and small differences are something I only know from reading.
    Which is interesting, I think.
    Last edited by Murk; 2015-05-29 at 03:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The thing about "Y'all" is while it might have started in the South, it's pretty much spread all over the US. So much so that I don't really think it can be much of an indicator. I mean, I'm from NorCal and I use "Y'all" all the time. Consider it part and parcel of the mixing of the regionalisms of the US that Mass Media has wrought over the last 60 years.

===

As for "what I hear", couldn't say. She does have a tendancy to drop her "g"'s, though that's pretty common to a lot of dialetcs.

What she does have is a pretty informal manner of speaking (unless she deliberately changes it). That's probably more background than anything else, though. so I wouldn't read too much into dialect from that.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-05-29 at 03:29 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Pennsylvania is a mess of accents. Especially where I live, since its right smack dab in the middle of the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by ella ventic View Post
    I vote Appalachian. "I don't mind none" sounds nifty with a twang/drawl to me, with those long "i"s turned into "ah"s. I'm not sure whether I'm thinking Pennsylvania, Kentucky, or Alabama Appalachian, but it definitely puts me in mind of the mountains.]
    I concur with Appalachia, specifically to include Central Pennsylvania (east of "yinz" territory). Keltest correctly identifies rural Pennsylvania as rife with accents that include, for example, features that we might otherwise associate with a Southern drawl.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The fact that she uses a mixed bag of colloquialisms can easily be because she travels a lot, and doesn't really have to have anything to do with her accent at all.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    The fact that she uses a mixed bag of colloquialisms can easily be because she travels a lot, and doesn't really have to have anything to do with her accent at all.
    That's entirely possible, however none of the other crew members speak like she does that I have seen. However that may be because she was raised on the ship.

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateGuy

As a non-native speaker, Bandana never sounded like a real person to me. Phrases like "I for-reals appreciate" and "I don't mind none" sound like a writer trying really hard to make a character appear street-smart and sassy, but I've never heard or read anyone talk like that. Considering that's probably true for most American accents though, that doesn't have to mean anything.
    As a non-native speaker of English, I've been running into some trouble with that. In a story I'm writing, one character is supposed to have a sorta Cockney accent, but I'm afraid I'm bungling it really badly

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

It's also worth noting that, like Durkon, her accent may be inconsistent.

Heck, it may be deliberately so, to keep it from being tied down to one specific real-world region that does not exist in her world. So while it is probably generally based on US rural accents, it's probably not a specific one.

25. - Top - End - #25

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kivzirrum View Post
    Heck, it may be deliberately so, to keep it from being tied down to one specific real-world region that does not exist in her world. So while it is probably generally based on US rural accents, it's probably not a specific one.
    Good point. No matter how much her speech patterns and choices of phrasing may linguistically point to, say, Arkansas (or wherever), she's 100% not actually from Arkansas. She's from wherever in the Stick-verse she's from (and I'd say we haven't seen enough of it to make a good guess). We're really just guessing what part of the US is most similar linguistically to the speech patterns from that part of the Stick-verse.

Which is still interesting, because it does carry connotations about her background and what not, but its never going to be very precise.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2015-05-29 at 12:59 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    As a non-native speaker of English, I've been running into some trouble with that. In a story I'm writing, one character is supposed to have a sorta Cockney accent, but I'm afraid I'm bungling it really badly
    Find the most stereotypical writing or speech in cockney you can. Then make it more stereotypical. And watch out for copyright, because you'll probably end up writing Lock, Stock or Snatch.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Non-native speaker here too, and I agree with that. She could use broken language or have a strong accent and that would make her more real, but here, it's mish-mash of unusual wordings and good vocabulary. I guess that's part of the reason I'm rather indifferent to her as a character. She's been puzzling at times, but I don't think anything she's said so far could be considered memorable.

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Find the most stereotypical writing or speech in cockney you can. Then make it more stereotypical. And watch out for copyright, because you'll probably end up writing Lock, Stock or Snatch.
    Gotta try that. And I don't remember any cockney owls in Guy Ritchie movies, so I think I'm safe copyright-wise ;)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You'd be surprised.
    Your "Location" makes this comment beautiful.
    To the Lawful Evil, the Hells are heavenly. -Red Fel

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's entirely possible, however none of the other crew members speak like she does that I have seen. However that may be because she was raised on the ship.
    I think the bolded part might be exactly it. She never had a "homeland" so to speak. She was raised by 30 different people with probably 30 different accents, not to mention the 100 towns with 500 dialects she visited. So she picked up a word here and another there and meshed it all together.