New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [IC][D&D3.5]Eberron Adventures: Part 1

"Do you think he's a student as well?" Keith asks. "If not, we could alert the guards."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

It would be hopelesly unprofessional of him to have no alibi for being here. I mean, I'm fairly convinced I can handle the guards, and I have no ... I wonder if Keith is dedicated enough to worry, if he finds out I'm basicaly squatting?! ... um, no, err, receipts for my tuition, I threw them all out by mistake. Yea.

I could try and follow him? But then if the professors office is locked, you guys need another way in.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin tries not to be too obvious when looking around.
    "The real question is: should we confront him, should we ignore him, or should we try to lose him? I think for now it may be best to ignore him. Most likely he won't attempt anything too deleterious while the guards are within earshot."
    Fin mulls things over for a second. "Indeed if we proceed with our plan to search the professor's office, it may solve our problem for us: if we don't find anything, well then no worries, if we do, then we can decide how to handle our tail over there."
    Last edited by ThorgrimThunder; 2015-06-28 at 10:03 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

Currently, he isn't tailing us. He went into the study hall - which is the opposite of where we're going. I want to know what he's doing, and who he works for.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Valid point; however, should we delay looking in the professors room to find out? Assuming we go in there, unless we confront him, there won't be much we can do. if he's followed you this long, chances are he'll follow you more, I'm just saying I don't think we should get distracted from our main purpose. If you are really that interested in what he's doing, I think I should investigate, whilst you stay with the group to facilitate getting in where needed."

Fin waits until they are inside and out of sight from anyone, taking time to make sure they are unobserved. Once he is sure no one is close aside from the party, he will assume an alternate form. His new form will be female with mid-length curly blonde hair. Pretty, but not over the top. Average height, blue eyes.

"I doubt he will recognize me like this"
    As long as no one objects, Fin will head to the study hall and tail the tail.
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Disguise (1d20+13)[25]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Sweet Dark Powers, thinks Rakash as he sees the transformation, the possibilities. The scams I would pull if I could do that - it would be glorious.

Out loud he replies Alright - you follow the guy. But ... you don't know what he looks like. He's my size. I'm guessing gnome, because halflings are fat and jolly, while everyone knows gnomes are deceitful and vicious. He's cloaked, and adept at moving unseen and unheard.

Also, he's not a tail - at least, not currently. Being 'a tail' involves following someone - going where they do. Since this guy is going somewhere else, he can't be a tail. This confusion of terms is stressful for Rakash, but he keeps his mouth shut.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I guess that means we split up - a grand idea since the invention of roleplaying. Onwards, friends, to sudden death! =)

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    It would be hopelesly unprofessional of him to have no alibi for being here. I mean, I'm fairly convinced I can handle the guards, and I have no ... I wonder if Keith is dedicated enough to worry, if he finds out I'm basicaly squatting?! ... um, no, err, receipts for my tuition, I threw them all out by mistake. Yea.
    "You should definitely visit the registrar first thing when they open, then," Keith says, naive to the deception. "They have a retired Sivis scribe in charge of the money, and she keeps perfect records. She can check for you and give you a new receipt."

Quote Originally Posted by ThorgrimThunder View Post
    "If you are really that interested in what he's doing, I think I should investigate, whilst you stay with the group to facilitate getting in where needed."
    "No." Keith's voice is calm and conversational, yet strong and firm. "We stay together...especially if a murderer is after us. Whatever's in the professor's office will stay there, while this criminal is on the move. We confront him together and turn him into the guards. Always stick together."
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2015-06-30 at 06:51 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin thinks it over for a moment.
    "I suppose Keith is right... Although in that case, since the stranger isn't currently following us, I think maybe we should proceed to the office first. Then we can confront him."
    "Or turn the tables on him"
    this last part Fin says with a flutter of his newly lengthened lashes.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

The party quickly duck into the nearby door, driven by the cries of the goblin.
    Ingrid was going to rush to Geldem's office, but stopped as if she ran into the wall when she saw Fin's transformation.
    "What... what are you? Changeling? Doppelganger? Are you even Fin? What a nice party: licentious kleptomaniac goblin, shape changing abomination... Who are you, Keith? Demon? What a nice trick to lure me here... for what? You want me to help you find Geldem's secrets and then dump my body somewhere? Is professor even really dead?"

She is slowly moving backwards down the hallway.

Show

Ingrid now standing 5ft from the door to Geldem's office

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

I most emphatically beg your pardon? I happen to be a professional law breaker, yes, but only because society leaves me no other recourse. I assure you I'd be a barrister if society trusted my kind - or a watchman, if my size didn't put me in a distinct disadvantage among you giants. Plus there's still the trust issue. Do you even realise that my kind are slaves, here in Sharn, just a few hundred feet below our feet?

And I am here, at Morgrave, to better myself. Seeking, as it were, an exit from this lawless existance,
    it counts - it totally counts! I'm trying to better my thieving, and to become lawful in the sense that I wont ever get caught. Dark powers know I struggle!

Are you really so racist as to judge us on our races - rather than our intentions? All we want is to discover the professors enemies and expose them!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

A spot roll is in order for that last bit - Rakash may be interested in exposing the professors enemies and so on .... but frankly, he's mostly in it for the loot. The bit about 'bettering himself'? He totally believes that to be true.

Bluff: (1d20+3)[5]

Edit: Ok - the dark powers hate me. Why? I never did anything wrong! =(
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-07-01 at 06:18 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Oh dear! I'm sorry Ingrid, I thought you knew about my party gag gift? It's a hat of disguise."

Fin pauses a moment, lifting his hat off, and simultaneously transforming himself back into the Fin Ingrid knows.

See? Simple magic trick. 'Twas a gift last solstice from a friend back home. As for Rakash, of course he was a thief... He hasn't had many other opportunities, but that is why Keith and I are taking him under our wings. To give him that chance that he spoke of."

Fin prays that for once Keith will keep his mouth shut, realizing that Ingrid is a true bigot, who can't look past her humanity to see the good in other races, something that a changeling has no trouble with.

Show

(1d20+7)[16] bluff like hell

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Ingrid suspiciously watches goblin's monologue, slowly moving backwards, looking to the turn of the walkway, probably planing expeditious escape.
    Fin's frills and quirks seem to relax her a little. She is obviously tense. "You scared me a little, Fin. No, you scared me A LOT. I think it's not a good time for such tricks... and where have you got this magic item? It costs a fortune! I hope Keith haven't got something to finish me off... I feel like my heart is going to explode." She attempted to smile.

While the frightened girl was trying to make sense out of this situation, she receded almost to the doorstep of the Geldem's office.
    You notice small clouds of smoke fuming from beneath the door.

Show

(1d20+9)[12] Ingrid Sense Motive +5 circumstance bonus
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-07-02 at 12:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Well Ingrid, not to further stress you, and I'm happy to answer all your questions later, but for now, we need to get into that office."
    Fin draws a knife, steps up to the door, and holds the back of his hand up to the latch.
    If it feels cool he grabs the latch and flings the door open. (Or tries if it's locked.)
    If it feels hot he will wrap his cloak several times around his hand before grabbing the latch.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

The handle of the wooden door, despite being metal, was cold to touch and Fin easily opened it.
    Burst of smoke left the room and quickly ran to the nearby windows.
    At the first room you can see parquet floor, solid wooden table with a lit candelabrum and several papers.
    The massive chair is set at the table with a big wooden bookcase behind. The books seem to be intact.

The room was engulfed by smoke, but there were no sources of fire, except the peacefuly glowing candles. The cracking sounds of combustion were coming from the second room of the office.
    The wooden door was ajar and when Fin opened it he witnessed a disaster. The room was covered with papers, books, parchments lying on the floor.
    The big table was covered with scattered paperworks as well.

The fire must have started just a minute ago. There was a big candelabrum lying in the middle of the table, where the biggest fire was eating through the pile of documents.
    But it doesn't seem that candle started the burning, because the room looked as if something exploded here, catching fires here and there around the room and wooden floor was smoldering as well.
    The three windows at the corners of the room were covered by wooden jalousie, but still some smoke was finding it's way outside.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Letters - characters position
    Wooden lines - doors
    Blueish lines - windows (without glass - only metal bars)

The walkway from the gates had slight inclination upwards from the gates, so the windows must be around 10 feet from the ground, but you need to watch through them to guess more specificaly.
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-07-05 at 11:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Upon quick examination of the papers lying at his feet Fin noticed they are mostly schemes and maps of some sort, but he couldn't understand what exactly they are showing.

Show

You can search the room at the rate of 1 square per turn, but you need to specify what are you looking for.
    Every square got something in it: squares which are closer to the book shelves contain mostly books, other tiles contain similiarly equal amount of books, scrolls, papers, schemes and maps.
    The fire is expanding slowly. Catching fire is possible, but DC is very low yet (Reflex save 5, increasing by 1 every round).
    It will be more convenient if you state your actions per round in spoiler (or describe several rounds in one post), so I can keep track of smoke effects and fire expanding.

Spoiler: Smoke Effects and Holding Breath
    Show

Smoke effects:
    A character who breathes smoke must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or spend that round choking and coughing.
    A character who chokes for 2 consecutive rounds takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.
    Smoke obscures vision, giving concealment (20% miss chance) to characters within it.
    Holding Breath:
    You can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to twice her Constitution score, but you must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round in order to continue holding your breath and not inhale smoke. Each round, the DC increases by 1.
    When the character finally fails her Constitution check, she inhales smoke and smoke effects come into play (fortitude safe or chocking).
    You cannon efficiently hold your breath again, unless you leave smoked area and spend a round breathing outside.

Show

(1d20+3)[4] Fin Knowledge (achitecture and engineering) (Jack of all trades)
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-07-05 at 02:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin calls back to his comrades, "We've got a fire here, anyone have a good way of putting it out? We need to get as much here salvaged as we can either way."
    As Fin says that, he moves into the room and begins trying to salvage some of the documents.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Fin will move to where the center of the fire is starting in the middle of the long table, and search those documents, saving anything that looks at all important. Holding his breath all the while.
    Ref (1d20+2)[20]

Show
    Can we hold our breath for CON score x2 before we make a CON check? Or do we have to make the check regardless, and the max we can hold it is CON x2. Although I believe Keith will have the ability to hold his breath twice as long as the rest of us, or possibly four times as long.
    Last edited by ThorgrimThunder; 2015-07-06 at 03:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler: More rolls
    Show

CON(1d20+1)[17]
    Search(1d20+3)[12]

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by ThorgrimThunder View Post
    Fin calls back to his comrades, "We've got a fire here, anyone have a good way of putting it out? We need to get as much here salvaged as we can either way."
    As Fin says that, he moves into the room and begins trying to salvage some of the documents.
    "Stop, drop, and roll?" Keith says, more asking a question than providing any guidance. "Or water? My pack has a waterskin," the burly man offers, pulling a pouch from his bag that doesn't hold nearly enough water to put out the fire. "Either way, you should stand back," he says to Fin as he takes a big gasp and moves adjacent to the changeling, holding his breath as he draws near the smoke.

Move action: move adjacent to Fin
    Standard action: draw waterskin
    CON check - (1d20+3)[11]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2015-07-07 at 05:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

The smell of the burning paper crawled into Fin's nose. The eyes started to tear the moment he opened them, but he struggled to this irritation. Under the candelabrum heaped the pile of schemes, plans, drawings, texts – partially burned to the different degree.
    The changeling was unaware on what he was looking for. The clue, what might it be?

These schemes didn't tell anything, didn't ring a bell. These papers… are not coherent. Where the hell is this from? «…The Ironroot Mountains are a stretch of mountains along the western border of the Mror Holds. It is believed that the Ironroot Mountains have some of the richest mineral deposits in Khorvaire…» must be a page from «The Geology of Khorvaire». It makes no sense near the book «The foundation of Sharn».
    «…this active volcano rumbles with magical energy. It lies within Mroranonhold, and the dwarves guard the site with jealous zeal. They believe it is a sacred place tied to the god Onatar, while scholars from Aundair believe that powerful dragonshards hum beneath the lava.» - must be the excerpt from some book about religion, then couple pages from «The Archaelogical Evidence of Dorasharn Architecture». Many other religious and geographic papers among countless schemes: «valve cluster A-102», «valve cluster F-070», «overflow discharge section A-13F», «interceptor section L-03i». And then carbon paper copy of a page from «Grease blockage formation during arid weather periods»…

The papers seem to be mixed up. Whether they mark the broad sphere of proferssor's interests or somebody deliberately tangled everything is unclear.
    While Fin esteemed one paper, couple more were sacrificed to the fire. May be deciding the narrowing factor would ease the search here or among other piles… and that smoke... the throat is already getting sore.
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-07-07 at 12:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin will stuff whatever he can easily place in his pack. Then he will move to the right 5' and search.

Fin wishes that he could say something to Keith, but he can't while holding his breath, hopefully Keith will save anything that he can, none of this makes any sense. Why would the professor be looking through all this garbage?

Show
    CON(1d20+1)[15]
    Ref(1d20+2)[22]
    Search(1d20+3)[20]
    Last edited by ThorgrimThunder; 2015-07-08 at 10:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Keith begins grabbing whatever papers he can, beginning with the ones that looked oldest or fanciest. While he didn't know much about anything important that could be found here, he knew that folks didn't often jot world-changing discoveries on a bar napkin. Keith doesn't pause to read anything; he'd leave the tough stuff to the other ones. Instead, he takes the easy job of charging into a burning room while holding his breath in order to salvage as much as possible before the room was consumed.

Search - (1d20-1)[1] for old or fancy-looking paper.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Keith struggled to look through the papers under his feet. There were plenty, some of them burned, some of them were intact.
    Most of them looked new or were copies made or written from other books.
    The pages Keith looked through were meaningless, abstracts and excerpts from books without any bell-ringing references.
    It was hard to withstand the blazing fumes, and Keith had almost prone to the sneeze, but gathered himself and suppresed the urge to cough.

Fin found the second burning pile was as mixed up as the first one. Many papers were from the books he already seen... And those endless schemes are everywhere. Numerous valve clusters and discharge sections, brach line 31,33 and 40, stabilization pond A and B...
    "Lei d'Cannith was a skillful artificer. A dragonmarked heir, daughter of Aleisa and Talin d'Cannith. Lei studied the mystical arts in Sharn and Metrol. In year -938YK, her parents arranged for her betrothal to Hadran d'Cannith, but Lei's father insisted that she serve term in the military before her marriage. In year -935 she was excoriated from House Cannith; the reasons for this remain a mystery..." - must be from some house Cannith genealogy book. "The Depths - Is the generic name for everything that lies beneath the city's main plateau, excepting Cliffside and the Cogs far below. The upper levels give way to active and inactive sewers, some of which have their own inhabitants, as well as the mostly forgotten ruins of earlier settlements built long before the towers started to rise. Far below and accessed by well-maintained tunnels and shafts, the Cogs sit at the very base of Sharn and serve as an actively populated center of industry. In fact, the roots of modern Sharn's towers lie underground in some places, buried by the passing of centuries... - starts the book about Sharn's underground.
    "...terrible quakes caused parts of the city to collapse, and rivers of lava flowed up from the fiery lake deep below. Those who escaped the flames were devoured by swarms of vermin, who were released from previously isolated caverns. The city had suffered greatly and was abandoned. For over five hundred years, superstitious folk shunned the ruined city, muttering about the curses. Those who visited the ruins before reconstruction began told about numerous smarms of vermin and insects dominating the ecology, mainly feeding on wondering mammals or each other. After passing centuries due yo the lack of the sources of nutrition the population of the pests shrinked to the level appropriate for repopulation of the city, whose location had considerable strategic and economic value, despite superstitions..." - might be from the book of Sharn's ecology.

Looking through all the papers takes too much time, without help or focus, fire will eat them faster, but the answer may be somewhere he haven't searched yet.
    The smoke, the tensity - the brain was melting.

Ingrid after some hesitation, entered the room. She was more angry then afraid.
    "Keith, move away! I want to see what's happening there!" she pushed big guy blocking the way. "Fin, what've you found?"

Rakash was idly standing in the walkway, his impudent tone washed away by fear. He was reluctant to dive into the burning room.
    "I... will be on the lookout guys! If something happens, I'll let you know!"

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

Spoiler: Map Legend
    Show

Searched squares contain documents from following fields:
    1(Fin): Nature, History, Religion, Architercture and Engineering.
    2(Fin): Nobility and Royality, Dungeoneering, Architecture and Engineering, Nature.
    If you want to search more specificaly are you can roll one knowledge check per searched square. It is move action, so you can check two squares per turn.
    OR
    If you want search another pile, you can proceed with another search check. It is full-round action, so you can check one square per turn.
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-07-21 at 10:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Ingrid... I'm not sure exactly what I'm seeing, there is a lot of random excerpts from different books on Nature, History, Religion, quite a few about architecture & engineering. Quite a bit about what's underneath us, the depths and the cogs."

Fin tries to say all this without exhaling too much precious oxygen.

After barreling through his explanation Fin takes a step to the corner of the table, and frantically begins looking for anything to do with the history of the city and surrounding area.

Spoiler: Actions/rolls
    Show

Attempting to move 5' up and search the rest of the table. Specifically looking for things pertaining to history so I can search 2 squares.
    CON (1d20+1)[18]
    Fort (1d20+1)[15]
    Ref (1d20+1)[9]
    Search (1d20+3)[9]
    Knowledge (History)(1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by ThorgrimThunder; 2015-07-17 at 12:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Ingrid looked at the door, frowned and tried to tell something to Keith, but inhaled too much smoke and started to cough.
    Keith tried to concentrate and heard the strange sounds, as if small bell was dully and hollowly ringing outside. But there were no bells in the University district. The closest one he was aware of situated several districts away in the Silver Flame church. The ringing was highly irregular, occasional buzz followed by the series of quick booms.

Rakash peeked from the corner: "Uhm... guys, there is something happening outside, may be, I don't know, Keith should go and check?"

After exhaling Fin breathed the soot and smoke and barely resisted urge to cough. The tears streamed from his eyes in futile attempt to shield them from the acrid smoke. The vision blurred and it didn't help his concentration.
    The search of next part of the table was even less fruitful, he could barely read what was on the papers he holded and after few moments changeling realized that he was just shifting papers from pile to pile.

Show

<Ingrid didn't hold her breath so no CON check> - deleted
    (1d20+3)[7] - Ingrid Fort save
    (1d20)[10] - Keith Listen
    (1d20-1)[7] - Fin Listen
    (1d20+8)[17] - Ingrid Listen
    (1d20+1)[10] - Rakash Listen

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-07-21 at 10:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Keith nods. "Good suggestion, Rakash," he says. "Everyone stay together, and stay behind me."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Damn Fin thinks to himself, it is hard to think with your head full of smoke. Let Keith handle anything requiring muscle, he needed to figure out this puzzle.
    Struggling to clear his head of the vapors Fin will make one last effort to find something useful before heading out behind Keith.
    Spoiler: Action&rolls
    Show
    Fin will stay where he's at and re-search the same squares, trying to make sense of what he's seeing.
    CON (1d20+1)[18]
    Fort (1d20+1)[13]
    Ref (1d20+2)[14]
    Search (1d20+3)[17]
    Knowledge (history) (1d20+7)[21]