New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: [IC][D&D3.5]Eberron Adventures: Part 1

Rakash doesn't respond with words - but rather with a 'pssh' and a look of 'what do you take me for'?

He quickly ducks into the bush to retrieve the satchel, before following the others away.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

I agree the watch are on their way we must get away from this place soon.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Keith shakes his head and sheathes his weapon. "No, we need to give our accounts to the Watch," he says matter-of-factly. He bends down to pick up his net and fold it back up. "If they think we're criminals, running would confirm that. The truth will set us free--and help find justice for the professor."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin
    "Ugh, Keith... Fine, but I'm not confident that most people are fair minded enough to judge a goblin any way but by his skin. Rakash at least should get out of here, we can stay and talk to the watch.

Knowing that Keith's sense of duty wouldn't let him lie, or run, Fin decides that staying and manipulating the situation may actually be the best response.

Spoiler: @ Rakash in goblin
    Show
    "I know you don't want to stay anyway, I'll make sure they don't find out about the satchel, we will meet you back in our rooms as soon as we can get this sorted out."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Spoiler: Reply, in goblin
    Show

My staying here would propably get me in trouble, and it'd likely even cast suspicion on the rest of you. So yes, I'd better be away.

Keith, not to put too fine a point on it, but .... I am a criminal. While this particular crime isn't mine, and not my style, I really shouldn't be giving the watch any reasons for scrutiny. At the very least, I'm a loitering vagrant, and likely to be shunted off out of town or down into the lower wards.

With that, Rakash makes his exit, seeking the shadows where he is most comfortable, even when there is no apparent threat.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

very well Keith we will stand with you come what may.

7. - Top - End - #37

"Thank you all, friends," Keith says proudly as a smile beams on his face. It takes a moment for him to realize that the goblin is gone before Rakash's words even sink into the big man's head. "Wait, what did he say?" Keith asks as he looks around for the goblin. He looks around for the creature, but is unable to find him. Keith thinks he heard Rakash mention something about being a criminal, but that couldn't be right...he'd have to ask him more about it later, once he could find the goblin again.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

From shadow to shadow Rakash moved to the eastern part of the bridge and then to the ladder at the north. Moving a level down he could notice two more guards running and people comming up to witness the crime scene, so his friends will be surrounded soon.

Meanwhile other party members can see two males and a female, wearing the green-and-black studded leather of Sharn's City Watch, emerge from the darkness of the western stairs and quickly moved to the skybridge. The leader, a powerfully built bald dwarf with a close-cropped beard, steps forward, leveling his crossbow in your direction. The small ball of arcane light, hovering just above and behind his left shoulder, illuminates the area. To each side, a human male and female stand with halberds at the ready.

"Olladra's bloody nose!" - the Dwarf curses.-"By order of the Watch, drop your weapons and explain yourselves!"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+11)[13] Spot
    (1d20+12)[15] Rakash Hide

Spoiler: Map
    Show

K,F,E - party
    G - guards
    D - dwarf
    C - civilian spectators
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-06-07 at 05:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Show

(1d20+1)[19] Rakash spot

10. - Top - End - #40

Keith slowly places his weapons on the ground and holds up his empty hands. "My name is Keith d'Deneith," he says calmly. "We happened across the body of our professor on our way to the tavern. There was a satchel by his side, and a cloaked figure attacked us for it unprovoked. I responded with only nonlethal force in self-defense."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin
    Places his weapon on the ground as well.
    "Yes sir! It was as Keith says. Here we were strolling along, celebrating our success when we saw that." he says gesturing emphatically at the body.

"Then we came over to see if the fellow was indeed dead. I was about to call for you fine fellows myself when a cloaked figure came up over the side of the bridge and started attacking us. In fear for my life, and my friends, I attempted to strike back with my dagger. During the altercation the attacker said he wanted the satchel, and it went over the edge and then the fellow went after it. Something seemed off about him, but I'm not sure why, his voice was somewhat metallic. Anyway, that's about all that happened."

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Bluff (1d20+9)[21]
    Obviously I didn't actually "lie" so hopefully I get some extra bonuses for this check.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Places his weapon on the ground as well
    Sir, gesturing emphatically at the body, we happened across this poor soul, when we were attacked, we only fought to defend ourselves, then they went over the edge. gesturing at the bridge.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

The dwarf seemed to be slightly confused by Fin's speech, and watched him with incredulity, but while you were speaking, several witnesses from nearby shops and homes came forward to corroborate your story.
    At the end the guard weighted his crossbow, pointed it down and said:

"Although you might have really wanted to help, I encourage you to leave such matters to the Watch... If you didn't take anything from the dead, you can show me your identification papers and leave, we may contact you later if additional information is required. And try not to get into any more troubles. Where is the satchel you said that guy was after?"

Show

+2 Circumstance bonus on Diplomacy check
    (1d20+9)[29] Fin Diplomacy
    (1d20+8)[22] Edward Diplomacy
    (1d20+4)[8] Keith Diplomacy
    (1d20+3)[4] Sense Motive (+2 circumstance bonus)

Roll 20 vs Roll 1... you don't leave much space for conflict. :)
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-06-07 at 12:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin
    "Yes sir! I apologize for the inconvenience. Here are my papers."
    Shows him his student ID
    "The satchel went over around..." walks over and gestures where Rakash dropped the cloak...""...here. Well sir, we are truly sorry for the trouble here, but we really don't know anything else. Do you think we could head back to our rooms? This was quite a stressful encounter?"

Unless there is an objection Fin will head back to their rooms and meet up with Rakash.
    Last edited by ThorgrimThunder; 2015-06-07 at 05:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Edward Shows his student ID as well, without saying anything unless it is required of him.

Unless there is an objection Edward will follow Fin back to their rooms.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

"Went over you say..." - Dwarf seemed to be very disappointed. "So you basically gave that guy what he wanted... Can't blame you, though..."
    His fellow guards came back from questioning the locals and said something to the dwarf, who nodded in response.
    "Well, your words are supported by the people, your papers are good, you can go about your business. If you remember something useful, contact the Watch and ask for sergeant Dolom, it's me. And try not to get into any more troubles." - the dwarf gave back your papers.

As the party traversed the walkways towards the lower levers of University District spires, you saw almost noone - few merchants pushed their carts presumably to deliver goods before dawn. The rain, which seemed to slack off, started again, not as heavy, but distant thunder announced that drizzle was just a harbinger of another upcoming storm.

You safely entered the campus level of the university spire. It was too late for someone to be awake and you reached the room of Rakash virtually unnoticed. It could hardly be named a room. Merely the storage space for brooms and buckets, elaborately redesigned to fit the needs of ascetic goblin.
    Small pile of straw covered with simple sheets... small lantern hanging at the door was lit to make it more convenient for you.

Rakash was absent, but probably was following your since you entered the campus, because in a few moments he entered the room as well. It could barely contain that many people, only if you were standing.
    The goblin was in a new set of traveling clothes, apparently taken from larger student and primitively adjusted to the proper size with knife alone.
    His wound was not treated and you could notice small dots of blood starting to resurface from the slits and holes in his garment.

The satchel was with him.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-06-09 at 06:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

"Wow," Keith beams, impressed by the goblin. "How did you find that satchel after it went over the edge? Wait a minute, shouldn't we give that to Sgt. Dolom as evidence in their investigation?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Thank you for your concern - no really, I'm fine. I'll heal, eventually. Hardly any pain to speak off.

Oh wait - sorry, you wanted to know about the satchel, not my health. Well ok, a mere lowly goblin is barely worth the notice of such esteemed giants. Right, well: In reply to your actual query, I can divulge the following - the satchel contains little of anything except writing materials and a conspicuously empty notebook.

Since that's a very insubstantial reason for first killing someone, then coming back to the scene for, I suggest there is more to it than that. Either .... an 'invisible ink' scenario, or something hidden in the binding? I can only guess, of course, but it is one of my professional obsessions to worry at stuff that doesn't make sense to me.

Now, regarding sgt. Colom, I see various avenues of reasoning to follow.

One: Can we be certain he has the means to decipher this, and actually find the culprit? This is our esteemed professor we're talking about - practically family.

Two: This is spoils of war, rightfully ours for defeating our enemy! Maybe we can share what information we find within with the watch, but by ancient tradition and justice, it belongs to us.

Three: It is not our duty as students and upstanding citizens - some of us, at least - to get to the bottom of this assault on us, our campus, our family and our university?

I feel the case is clear in all three cases. I say we keep the loo ... the evidence.

Deep within the crinkles, nooks and crannies of Rakash's twisted mind - there is a tiny politician screaming to get out.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin
    "Keith, my friend, he's right! How can you worry about the satchel when he's still bleeding? Rakash, do you need a healer? Regarding the satchel though I completely agree with Rakash. We have a duty to do anything we can to help our poor professor find justice. Rakash do you mind if I take a look at the satchel and it's contents?"
    Last edited by ThorgrimThunder; 2015-06-09 at 10:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

No, not at all - there's nothing I can do with it, otherwise I'd ... have um, already done it, naturally.

Rakash hands over the notebook. He also sets out the other things it contained, a few sheets of paper, inkwell and a quill.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2015-06-09 at 11:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Inside the satchel Rakash found quills and inks, six blank sheets of fine paper, an apple and a journal.
    The small journal, measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches and 1 inch thick, has a cover of dark brown leather with strands of mithral thread woven in a strange pattern. It bears no title, just the mithral-thread icon on the front page. Inside, every page is blank, but the sheets have a strange feel, they don't seem to be paper or leather, but something not readily identifiable.

Spoiler
    Show

Kaptin, please adjust your font color

(1d20+3)[10] Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) Fin (Feat: Jack of all Trades)
    Last edited by Fan67; 2015-06-09 at 10:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Edward having stood nearby offering what assistance he could for Rakash, walks over to look at the small mithral thread woven journal, and takes a long hard look through it cover to cover.
    Last edited by samduke; 2015-06-09 at 12:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

Rakash would very much appreciate some medical attention.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin
    "Well gents we made it through that alright... Well reasonably alright... Well no one died. Let's see about getting you patched up Rakash. I think I've heard of someone around here, that could help."
    Spoiler: action&rolls
    Show

appraise (do I know what this paper is?)(1d20+3)[22]
    Knowledge local (do I know anyone who might use this paper or who might know who uses it) (1d20+3)[19]
    Knowledge local (Is there a campus healer, or someone close that's not too expensive?) (1d20+3)[15]

(Edit)
    If I know of anyone, I will suggest we take Rakash.

(2nd edit by "paper" I actually mean mithral inscribed book.
    Last edited by ThorgrimThunder; 2015-06-09 at 08:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin

"Rakash, there is a healer in the Platinate Disctrict (Upper Wards). I seem to remember that they offer magical and non-magical healing. Lets head down there and get you patched up. Edward, Keith, do you want to come with us?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

That does sound tempting, but ... I have exactly 3 coppers, and old button and some lint, and healing is one of those commodities it's really hard to shoplift. Though I guess opportunity might present itself along the way.

27. - Top - End - #57

When it came to talking about the satchel, Rakash sure did use a lot of words. Somewhere along the way, Keith got a little confused. Luckily, Fin was able to summarize and reminded Keith that they all had a duty to help the professor. Keith didn't have to follow a lot of words to understand the concept of "duty," as it had been ingrained in him from an early age. "Gee, you're right," Keith says, mystified. "Maybe we should just report it to Sgt Dolom after we're done if we can't help?"

The conversation soon turns to talk of Rakash's health, and Keith blushes when the others chide him for not caring about the goblin. "I do care about his health," Keith says sheepishly. He keeps in the conclusion to the sentence: but I've seen scratches three times worse than that. The human just has to remind himself that Deneith men are built of heartier stock than other humans, not to mention some of the smaller races.

"I'll come with you to Upper Platinate," Keith says quickly when Rakash starts talking about stealing. "And there will be no shoplifting, stealing, or pick-pocketing from the fine citizens of the Upper Wards. I'm sure we can pull together a collection to cover your treatment. I personally have 4 golds and 8 silvers; as much of that as we need for your treatment is yours. One day, perhaps I'll be able to heal you with a touch like the paladins among the Purified..." Keith's mind starts to drift as he daydreams about fighting evil in the name of the Silver Flame.

Show
    Spot - (1d20)[7] to notice Rakash stealing if he DOES decide to do it anyway
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2015-06-11 at 06:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

How can you be so heartless? If anyone can afford donating a bit to the health and wellbeing of their fellow goblin, it's the citizens of the upper wards. I'd never steal from the poor. Rakash mulls this for a moment, before adding Not unless I absolutely had to.

((Also, Rakash is missing half his health, and I think we're pretty safely past 'scratches' :p))

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Edward walk over and helps tend to Rakash's wounds cleaning and binding them best as possible.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fin
    "Well let's head over there. No use getting Rakash any more clothes until we stop the bleeding."
    "Incidentally, does anyone know anything about House Sivis?"