New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

wink Killoren / Wilden homebrew conversion race (PEACH)

Killoren / Wilden
    The original mechanic where the Killoren could switch abilities every day seemed too clunky for 5e, so I’ve turned each aspect into a subrace.
    The 4e race “Wilden” is quite similar, so this race will probably serve just as well if that’s what you are looking for.

Google Docs Repository

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED. Do you think they are balanced, understandable, cool?

Lore
    For the full 3.5 Lore on this race, see Races of the Wild p 102.

Killoren are an anomaly: a race of fey— but new, aggressive, and powerful. They see themselves as a counter to the growing dominance of humanoid races over the world, as protectors and stewards of nature.

At first glance they might be mistaken for an elf, they are slender and graceful, though they have a more feral appearance. Instead of hair they have something that resembles twigs, leaves or vines. Their skin varies between bark-like tan or grey and smooth leaf green. The color of their eyes and hair mark which caste or “aspect” they belong to.

Killoren dwellings are few and scattered and even more harmoniously integrated into the wilderness that the homes of the elves. However Killoren influence is growing and spreading, and clashes with humanoid races seem inevitable in the future.

Traits
    • Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom scores increase by 2.
    • Age. Killoren grow quickly reaching maturity by age 10. Thereafter they hardly age until later in their first century. Their lifespan is unknown.
    • Alignment. As a whole killoren favor neutral alignments, though individuals may vary.
    • Size. Killoren stand about 5 ˝ feet tall and have a slender build like an elf. Your size is Medium.
    • Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
    • Cold Iron Anathema. Like other Fey, killoren loath the touch of cold iron. You have disadvantage on wielding any cold iron weapons.
    • Cultural Skills. Killoren have a natural aptitude for the Animal Handling and Survival skills, though it takes time and effort to master them. These skills are always added to your class list of skill choices.
    • Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
    • Fey. Your type is fey. Spells that work only on humanoids do not affect you, but you are affected by spells that target fey. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
    • Speak with Animals. Killoren instinctively know the spell speak with animals. You may cast it as a ritual only.
    • Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan. As Killoren are encouraged to understand the broader world, so to be able to better guard against it, you can speak, read and write one additional humanoid language of your choice.
    • Aspects. There are three types of Killoren, known as “aspects”, however they are not separated by heredity. A child of any aspect may be born to parents of any other aspect. Most killoren believe that the aspects that are born are exactly the aspects their community needed.

Aspect of the Ancients
    Killoren of this aspect are marked by white, silver, or palest blond hair and robin-egg blue eyes.

• Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence scores increase by 1.
    • Commune with Nature. By observing or inquiring with the local wildlife, or listening to the wind for at least a five minutes, you gain advantage on Intelligence (Nature) rolls on anything the local wildlife might know.
    • Natural Magic. You know the Druidcraft cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the entangle spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it.

Aspect of the Destroyer
    The destroyers have hair and eyes of a charcoal or midnight black.

• Ability Score Increase. Your Strength scores increase by 1.
    • Smite Nature’s Foe. You can cast the thunderous smite spell once per day, however it is only effective against aberrations, constructions, humanoids, oozes, fiends, or undead. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it.

Aspect of the Hunter
    This aspect is marked by deep green or olive hair and green or brown eyes. Their skin also tends to darker, muted shades.

• Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity scores increase by 1.
    • Attuned to the Wild. While outdoors in natural surrounding, you gain advantage on Dexterity (Stealth), and Wisdom (Perception) checks.

-.25 Cold Iron Anathema
    0 Cultural Skills
    0.75 Darkvision
    0 Fey
    0.50 Can't Sleep, Adv vs Charm
    1 Speak with Animals
    0.25 Choice of language
    4.25 Base Race Total

Aspect of the Ancients
    1 Attribute Bonus
    0.5 Commune with nature
    0.75 Natural Magic (druid craft is a weak cantrip, nearly a ribbon)
    6.5 Total

Aspect of the Destroyer
    1 Attribute Bonus
    1.25 Smite nature’s Foe
    6.5 Total

Aspect of the Hunter
    1 Attribute Bonus
    1.25 Attuned to the Wild
    6.5 Total
    Last edited by eleazzaar; 2015-06-03 at 09:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Killoren / Wilden homebrew conversion race (PEACH)

Definitely liking it. Was wondering why you decided to break up the aspects like subraces instead of keeping the hotswapping feature from 3.5. I am not to knowledgeable on the specifics of killoren, I've only dealt with them secondhand. I agree that you balance is there. Also where'd you get the point value setup for making races?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Killoren / Wilden homebrew conversion race (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr7mm Bobb View Post
    Definitely liking it. Was wondering why you decided to break up the aspects like subraces instead of keeping the hotswapping feature from 3.5. I am not to knowledgeable on the specifics of killoren, I've only dealt with them secondhand. I agree that you balance is there. Also where'd you get the point value setup for making races?

The hotswapping thing sounds cool, and while i've never actually played it, it seems more fiddly and annoying than 5e aims to be. Also I suspected that to balance everything the powers would have to be fairly weak if the player got all of them. I'd rather give one solid power than 3 weak ones.

As for the points, 1 point = 1 Ability Score Increase. I've started with the work of James Musicus, though I switch some of the numbers around to what makes more sense to me. But the numbers are just a guide. The actual power can vary greatly depending on what traits you put together.

The point is to show what traits I think are valuable and how much. It is easier to talk about balance if they know where i'm comming from.
    "What? You think 'Fey' is only worth 0?" Someone might say, "It is advantageous for these reasons..."