New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Would your paladin fall from this?

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I think I used to have a house rule that you came up with your own dang code of conduct that I approved as a DM. This conversation has only reminded me of this house rule, and it will be one I will have to revive.
    I'll fall a paladin if I have to. But I've house ruled Paladins as I stated above. They have to have a patron deity and share it's alignment. Their code is then written in accordance with the deity's dogma by the player/DM. All my players were happy with that and I've seen a few exceptional paladins be brought to the table. My favorite one of theirs was a Paladin of Silvanus.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Was the paladin Neutral then? Admittedly, I dislike the idea of such a core option being locked to one singular alignment, but I'm surprised and intrigued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Was the paladin Neutral then?
    Yep. It was the best play of a TN character I've ever seen. That character was the definition of balance.

Admittedly, I dislike the idea of such a core option being locked to one singular alignment, but I'm surprised and intrigued.
    With my fix, you can be any alignment you want.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2015-06-02 at 04:37 PM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

In theory, the Paladin's Code of Conduct is a balancing mechanism against how powerful the class is. And in 1e AD&D...it WAS, especially at low-mid level. So part of the restraint on the Paladin was that, if he didn't behave with the utmost moral and ethical character (and thus not always exert his power in the most personally optimal fashion), he would lose his powers. It stemmed certain kinds of abuse. It was a way to make a class that was powerful in a focused area but far more constrained in another.

3e Paladins just aren't powerful enough to justify it, and it has long since become something DMs view as a personal challenge to their creativity. Because it's THERE.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    In theory, the Paladin's Code of Conduct is a balancing mechanism against how powerful the class is. And in 1e AD&D...it WAS, especially at low-mid level. So part of the restraint on the Paladin was that, if he didn't behave with the utmost moral and ethical character (and thus not always exert his power in the most personally optimal fashion), he would lose his powers. It stemmed certain kinds of abuse. It was a way to make a class that was powerful in a focused area but far more constrained in another.
    As I am not well-versed in older editions, did this actually work, or...? From what I know of older editions, probably not.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm going to have to agree with red, but it depends on your world. In my setting, paladins are hyper idealistic, and basically have to follow the knights code, but with the penalty of falling if they violate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    A skill check that allows you to squeeze through the anus will allow you to get through the rest of the digestive system.
    Sometimes I wonder if anything that comes out of my mouth actually makes sense.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As I am not well-versed in older editions, did this actually work, or...? From what I know of older editions, probably not.
    I played a 1e paladin for several years. More than just restricting me from acting selfishly, it actually kept a reign in the party doing stupid destructive stuff as well. "The paladin wont like it" is like the DM saying no without actually saying no.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I played a 1e paladin for several years. More than just restricting me from acting selfishly, it actually kept a reign in the party doing stupid destructive stuff as well. "The paladin wont like it" is like the DM saying no without actually saying no.
    Were people back then just a lot more agreeable, because if you tell that to many a disruptive player I knew, you'd quickly find that they'd start to murder each other to be the first to get the paladin to fall.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

It was a very different scene. Games weren't played as fast -- a campaign could easily last years, without any characters reaching max level. There were incentives not to mess things up.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post

3e Paladins just aren't powerful enough to justify it, and it has long since become something DMs view as a personal challenge to their creativity. Because it's THERE.
    3e paladins are very weak. they don't need a nerf at all.

you could always just... remove the falling mechanics and adjudicate your players being naughty through roleplaying, like literally every single other class in the game. if your wizard burns down a puppy orphanage, you have the cops chase him, or have one of the survivors come after him. you won't say "gotcha! now you lose all your class features, sucker" as people do with paladins. you also won't try to put your wizard in a situation where he has to choose between two options you morally disaprove of, forcing him to fall as everyone seems to enjoy doing for pallies.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

It's one of the sacred cows that stuck around. I actually like the mechanic, for what it's worth. It sets paladins apart.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

d20 Re: Would your paladin fall from this?

No she wouldn't fall, because the penalty for murder is death and the man clearly admitted to murder and rape. There was no doubt requiring a trial or evidence.
    "Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends. Those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Were people back then just a lot more agreeable, because if you tell that to many a disruptive player I knew, you'd quickly find that they'd start to murder each other to be the first to get the paladin to fall.
    Well, besides having a reasonable DM who would roll their eyes and veto that sort of behavior, I also happened to be the party tank, loaded up with so much AC and Spell Reflection that antagonizing me even without my knowledge became dangerous. My paladin mount was a panther too, which was cool.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scheming Wizard View Post
    No she wouldn't fall, because the penalty for murder is death and the man clearly admitted to murder and rape. There was no doubt requiring a trial or evidence.
    Except for the fact there's no way to know he was telling the truth. Considering mind-controlling magics exist, it's very possible for someone else to have done it and forced these guys to take the fall. That's why you imprison guilty people, to give such magics time to wear off or give the court wizards time to search for such.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Except for the fact there's no way to know he was telling the truth. Considering mind-controlling magics exist, it's very possible for someone else to have done it and forced these guys to take the fall. That's why you imprison guilty people, to give such magics time to wear off or give the court wizards time to search for such.
    Ill be honest, I am of the opinion that anyone who goes around claiming to be a murderer and subsequently attacking a paladin deserves any consequences that result. If youre that stupid, you wouldn't have gone much further in life anyway.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Ill be honest, I am of the opinion that anyone who goes around claiming to be a murderer and subsequently attacking a paladin deserves any consequences that result. If youre that stupid, you wouldn't have gone much further in life anyway.
    So for being mind-controlled, the penalty is death? That's an entirely plausible scenario to have occur (other dude murdered them, Dominated these dudes to act as fall guys).

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

So for being mind-controlled, the penalty is death? That's an entirely plausible scenario to have occur (other dude murdered them, Dominated these dudes to act as fall guys).
    And a DC 15 Sense Motive check. Sense Motive is a class skill on Paladin for a reason.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

Except that (assuming she was a Paladin), she has Detect Evil, and he literally has the dead bodies hanging from a tree right next to them!

This is getting ridiculous. By that logic a Paladin shouldn't even bother killing anything at all because hey! Through some extreme machinations they could be acting against their own will.

And yeah, Sense Motive is a thing.
    Last edited by Terazul; 2015-06-02 at 07:11 PM.
    Awesome Mordekaiser Pony courtesy of Squeejee!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

besides, committing Evil acts under mind control isn't an Evil act, so if that were the case, they wouldn't ping.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terazul View Post
    Except that (assuming she was a Paladin), she has Detect Evil, and he literally has the dead bodies hanging from a tree right next to them!

This is getting ridiculous. By that logic a Paladin shouldn't even bother killing anything at all because hey! Through some extreme machinations they could be acting against their own will.

Agreed, now we're dipping into the absurd. Especially for a settong where mind control isn't really a thing (excluding Bran and whatever he's called).

Edit: of course, arguing about alignments tends to be absurd and is solid proof we're internetting correctly!
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2015-06-02 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Westeros is a pretty low magic campaign setting. There are the white walkers to the North and the Dragons across the ocean, but the everyday folk aren't even aware that they exist. I mean what is more likely that some soldiers raped and murdered some women in the woods then bragged about it or that a wizard nobody has ever heard of brainwashed these random soldiers just to make Brienne of Tarth commit murder? She's not even a well known knight/paladin.
    "Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends. Those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terazul View Post

They shouldn't kill anyone who isn't currently a threat. Anyone you think might be a threat should be checked to make sure they are or aren't. Yes, it's a pain, but nobody ever said avoiding ever committing a single evil act was easy. And it still leaves them free for the most common category of killing I've ever seen, killing people who attacked you while you were doing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    besides, committing Evil acts under mind control isn't an Evil act, so if that were the case, they wouldn't ping.
    But they could be Evil, but innocent of this act, and mind controlled. Evil=/=guilty of whatever recent heinous act went down.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If theyre being mind controlled, then their deaths are on the hands of whoever controlled them and sent them after the paladin in the first place. The paladin has no reasonable way to know that theyre (potentially) innocent victims and so shouldn't be judged based on that.

Also, a character dominated into trying to kill the paladin is unlikely to surrender as that would be counter to the domination.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Also, a character dominated into trying to kill the paladin is unlikely to surrender as that would be counter to the domination.
    They aren't dominated to kill the paladin, they're dominated to take the fall for this. In that case, having a public trial in which they confess actually serves the purpose of the dominator.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They aren't dominated to kill the paladin, they're dominated to take the fall for this. In that case, having a public trial in which they confess actually serves the purpose of the dominator.
    If theyre only dominated to "take the fall" then they wouldn't be engaging the paladin in the first place.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

And is an obviously suicidal command and thus isn't followed..

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as you and the subject are on the same plane. You need not see the subject to control it.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

If theyre only dominated to "take the fall" then they wouldn't be engaging the paladin in the first place.
    And looking at the video, they didn't. They taunted her (I think, volume not working), then she turned around and killed them, with the last living one trying to surrender.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And looking at the video, they didn't. They taunted her (I think, volume not working), then she turned around and killed them, with the last living one trying to surrender.
    And with regards to the self-destructiveness of the idea, that is any different how?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

And with regards to the self-destructiveness of the idea, that is any different how?
    Suicide's a sin and this was suicide by paladin so clearly they were evil and killing them was okay
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Suicide's a sin and this was suicide by paladin so clearly they were evil and killing them was okay
    Line we don't cross-> | + <- This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.