New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout 4: It's Happening!

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Now what exactly is wrong with FO:T multiplayer?
    Aside from the ridiculous pointcosting and silly Voodoo spam + Pancor Jackhammer meta that completely dominates it?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Stop playing 10k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone plays 10k though, and the higher you go, the sillier it gets.

I love 2k, but very few run it, and even then it's pretty centralized around a couple of weapons/builds due to the bad/arbitrary pointcosting.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    I love 2k, but very few run it, and even then it's pretty centralized around a couple of weapons/builds due to the bad/arbitrary pointcosting.
    There'll always be some sort of a metagame involved after all, 2k expands the choices. Yay for Dog builds.

Personally I never had that much of a problem with it, but then again, I didn't venture that deep into competitive FOT (when I did, I could always find a 2k game), but then again, even the games I had with friends involved certain houserules. The most fun I had playing 10k was Android Only skirmishes with autistic Gundam fans.

And I'm not sure what's a good substitute for the point buy.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2015-06-05 at 04:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, there'll always be a meta for sure, but the arbitrary costing limits it more than it otherwise would be. Granted, 2k is _way_ more diverse than the higher point buy levels.

Pointbuy is fine so long as cost assignment isn't predicated by throwing darts at a board and it's dynamic, with changes pending feedback/stats; unfortunately neither is the case for FoT.

The build I normally favour for 2k is Fast Shot hollowpoint loaded p90cs/pancors + stealth, toughness and medikits and maybe an incendiary nade, especially during night combats. Stealth then flank n spank at close range.

I've had some great success with Fast Shot + Steady Arm supermuties packing the SAW; not nearly as versatile, but they are some of the hardest hitting, longest ranged things at that point level and are pretty durable. They will win pretty much any head to head firefight they get into that's within the effective range of their weapon which is damn long, and can also spray and pray to sweep for stealthers.

Rocket launcher builds have also worked well and tend to result in reliable one shot kills at ridiculous ranges, even through stealth and cover, but you have to make your munitions count; best to flush out the enemy with teammates/nades, then let 'er rip from stealth/concealment; basically run these guys like snipers.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

As long as we get VATS and SPECIAL I´m good.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

I could do without V.A.T.S, but I can always just not use it. That's what I do in FO3 and NV.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Fallout 4 finally out? I'm happy beyond words.

Yes, I'm kinda sad that Obsidian might not be doing another Fallout, as I preferred NV, but I got my fix with Wasteland 2, which I enjoy replaying. I hope they bring back VATS. I'm good at FPSes, but I just loved VATS, I hope there's the option to turn it off for those that hate it, and the option to keep it permanently on for people like me.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

VATS never really had any place in the first-person person perspective of Fallout 3 and NV. I think it's mostly there because that's what people expect from Fallout. I think they'd be better off scrapping it and figuring out how to make weapon skills have more impact on fighting without it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I hope that Bethesda looks carefully at New Vegas, and realizes why it was overall a better game. Bigger isn't better when that bigger is empty. It's about exploring the Wasteland, no miles upon miles of subway tunnels. Introducing Super Mutants at level 3 is a dumb idea. And so on.

At the same time, they should learn from Obsidian's mistakes, too. Deathclawland felt incredibly artificial and forced, and it was quite probable that you wouldn't be able to get through those areas at all even at high level. Make areas that you aren't supposed to go into in the early game by all means, but don't make them instant death areas for no good reason. Also, making one of the most common enemies in the game grant massive amounts of Karma is a baaaaad idea.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    VATS never really had any place in the first-person person perspective of Fallout 3 and NV. I think it's mostly there because that's what people expect from Fallout. I think they'd be better off scrapping it and figuring out how to make weapon skills have more impact on fighting without it.
    VATS had a huge place in the game. Even ignoring the flavor/historical reasons for it, it immensely helped the game by letting you play the combat based on character skill rather than player skill if you so chose. If you wanted to go pure FPS and ignore VATS entirely you can easily do so. If you want to go full VATS and never bother with FPS shots, there were perks that let you do that as well. Or if you wanted to mix and match you could do that as well. The central point beyond VATS was that no matter what your reaction time or personal accuracy you could still very effectively play the game (as compared to Skyrim where its all your personal skill [though admittedly the skill ceiling is low] and nearly all the skills and perks do in combat is "weapon does more damage").

Now, overhaul/improve/fix/etc. VATS? Sure. I freely admit there were a few problems with it - the damage reduction being frankly overpowered in the FO3 implementation, cases where the enemy would move behind a table or something and you'd pump a full clip of ammo into a solid object with no effect, and the fact that 99% of the time there was no reason to target anything except the head or a live explosive all come readily to mind. But those are all things that can be fixed - the aforementioned damage reduction issue was mostly corrected in New Vegas for example. I don't see any reason to scrap an optional system that a large number of players obviously like having in the game.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with Calemyr, though the best part of the fallouts is how optional it is.

@Calemyr: If you like the default crafting, I firmly suggest both Craftpack/Craftmaster/CASE(co-dependent so all essentially the same mod), and Weapon Mod Recipes. The latter lets you build most weapon mods, all the vanilla ones I believe, and has an option for WMX mods.

The 3C's on the other hand, allow you to break down most of that junk you pick up, such as those bent tin cans, into basic components, like steel and then turn them either into basic weapons, or into other things. IE: turn bent tin cans into steel, then steel into regular tin cans. (Yes, I recognize how silly that is.)

More importantly, it not only seriously increases ammo variety, but also lets you break the cases down into brass, so you're no longer stuck with millions of empties from enemies for calibers you don't use. As well as being able to make primers from brass and primer compound, so much less limited availability.

Plus you don't know the definition of fun until you've launched a Carpet missile.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I hope that Bethesda looks carefully at New Vegas, and realizes why it was overall a better game. Bigger isn't better when that bigger is empty. It's about exploring the Wasteland, no miles upon miles of subway tunnels. Introducing Super Mutants at level 3 is a dumb idea. And so on.

At the same time, they should learn from Obsidian's mistakes, too. Deathclawland felt incredibly artificial and forced, and it was quite probable that you wouldn't be able to get through those areas at all even at high level. Make areas that you aren't supposed to go into in the early game by all means, but don't make them instant death areas for no good reason. Also, making one of the most common enemies in the game grant massive amounts of Karma is a baaaaad idea.
    I agree with this as well. Personal experience: I played Fallout 3 and loved it! Then I played Fallout 1 before playing New Vegas and loving it more. I played NV twice, but I got bored on my second playthrough of Fallout 3.

I don't agree about the Deathclaws, though. Obsidian didn't make deathclaws harder, in fact, it was Bethesda that made deathclaws easier! In Fallout 1, you could get KO'd in one hit by a Deathclaw, while in Fallout 3 you could run at a deathclaw with a scalpel and survive to tell the tale. Personally, I preferred NV's deathclaws. They were hard, but they felt dangerous and well-deserving of its name.

Also, I never really had to go through Quarry Junction. What I liked about NV was that you didn't have to go through the deadly places. Not most times, at least; there was always a longer-but-safer route to your destination.

As for them being common, I always invest in a Sniper Rifle and/or get Boone/ED-E.

The thing I didn't like was that before the Gun Runners' Arsenal DLC, the only way to get a Fatman was to invade Deathclaw-land.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Spamalot in the Playground

I love VATS in Fallout 3. I'm not great at FPS games, so it's nice to have something like VATS to help with aiming and the pause feature is nice if I need a moment to think. Or use the bathroom. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

This is interesting.

Bethesda seems to have done their homework. Also seems people have already figured out where the bomb exploded and where vault 111 is.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    I agree with this as well. Personal experience: I played Fallout 3 and loved it! Then I played Fallout 1 before playing New Vegas and loving it more. I played NV twice, but I got bored on my second playthrough of Fallout 3.

I don't agree about the Deathclaws, though. Obsidian didn't make deathclaws harder, in fact, it was Bethesda that made deathclaws easier! In Fallout 1, you could get KO'd in one hit by a Deathclaw, while in Fallout 3 you could run at a deathclaw with a scalpel and survive to tell the tale. Personally, I preferred NV's deathclaws. They were hard, but they felt dangerous and well-deserving of its name.

Also, I never really had to go through Quarry Junction. What I liked about NV was that you didn't have to go through the deadly places. Not most times, at least; there was always a longer-but-safer route to your destination.
    Daily reminder that going from Goodsprings to New Vegas nearly immediately isn't at all hard with judicious use of the humble Stealth Boy.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

It's easier to cut through the Cazadores. Single shotgun, and VATS the wings. Just requires patience to wait close enough for a guaranteed hit, and the talent to pull one at a time.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    It's easier to cut through the Cazadores. Single shotgun, and VATS the wings. Just requires patience to wait close enough for a guaranteed hit, and the talent to pull one at a time.
    Right. The Cazadores were an example of what I'm talking about done right. A careful player could get through them no problem. Black Mountain was another - you could ninja your way up there carefully if you were good enough.

However, there are still fairly large swatches in the middle of the map that are absolutely teeming with Deathclaws, and there aren't even any quests that GO to those areas. They're just there as a "we don't want you in this area. Ever." sign, and it really sticks out. They wanted to control your path through the game, forcing you to do the loop, but then didn't take that opportunity to build those areas into proper high-level content.

Plus, call me old-fashioned, but I liked the Fallout 1 status where Deathclaws were a rare and feared creature, not something that was swarming all over the place.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I quite like the fact that New Vegas has the guts to have large chunks of empty map.

It actually adds to the sense that the world is an actual place and things in that place are determined by the logic of it, not a videogame setting where things are just crammed in so that the player always has something new to explore no matter where they go and where they walk to.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    This is interesting.
    Bethesda seems to have done their homework. Also seems people have already figured out where the bomb exploded and where vault 111 is.
    They didn't do a bad job with the DC area either.

Not referring to the link up there, but wow, I dunno how folks can put together 6-8 minute analysis videos of the trailer. Which is just 3 minutes. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

you can have a world feel empty while also having it loaded with wrecked buildings and other things.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    They didn't do a bad job with the DC area either.

Not referring to the link up there, but wow, I dunno how folks can put together 6-8 minute analysis videos of the trailer. Which is just 3 minutes. :3
    That's only an average of 2-3 minutes per minute shown, which isn't all that crazy.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

There's actually one big quest that does go to Sloan. Convincing the Khan's to turn on the Legion sends you to Melissa, sitting up top of the quarry, which is accessible only through the Deathclaws. Then to Sloan, which leads to the wiping out the Claws quest,

In F1/F2, they were only dangerous until you learned the secret. Cripple the left arm and they became completley helpless.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    That's only an average of 2-3 minutes per minute shown, which isn't all that crazy.
    Crazy to me, as I can't think of much to say other than "This is nice, I'd like to know more!"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's actually one big quest that does go to Sloan. Convincing the Khan's to turn on the Legion sends you to Melissa, sitting up top of the quarry, which is accessible only through the Deathclaws. Then to Sloan, which leads to the wiping out the Claws quest,

In F1/F2, they were only dangerous until you learned the secret. Cripple the left arm and they became completley helpless.
    And actually, even in NV, you just need to cripple one of their legs and you can just kite them from there.
    Now, facing a Deathclaw in melee, that's fun! I especially love the fact that, since their attacks completely ignore armor and DR in general, you can go full on berserker mode and go fight them naked and armed only with tribal weapons. And if you manage to survive, now you have a tale to tell!
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Daily reminder that going from Goodsprings to New Vegas nearly immediately isn't at all hard with judicious use of the humble Stealth Boy.
    Heh, the very first time I played New Vegas, I shimmied across the cliff face (I'm sure we all know how to break the physics engine) all the way to Vegas, and let Boone get knocked unconscious repeatedly to distract all the Deathclaws.
    And so, my children, the time has come to close the book. There will be other days and other stories, but this tale is finished.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, it's possible without a stealth boy. You just need a few sprints and some rockhopping.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #148
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

...huh. Didn't know that. I always shot them in the eyes with something high caliber.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I love VATS. It's part of what makes Fallout unique. I love the environment, the slow motion shots, the ability to take on ludicrous fights, the crazy char builds...you don't get that same mashup elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I prefer 3, actually. I like the denser layout, and the resulting ability to just wander off in a direction and find cool stuff and subplots to do basically constantly. I'm *still* not sure I've actually done everything in 3.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    ...huh. Didn't know that. I always shot them in the eyes with something high caliber.
    Yep, that's pretty much me too. And then I ground the ones in the Boneyard for a while because that single encounter gives you as much XP on its own as a low-level quest and they respawn impossibly fast, cheaply powerleveling myself up a bit.