New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VI

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Meaning... Can I bind a vestige deep out in the Far Realm?
    In the Far Realm, vestige binds YOU!

From what I understand, the Far Realm is not a place. It's the negation of the reality. Being "deep" in it means being far removed from reality itself. Subject, action, cause and consequence disappear. Notions such as "I", "vestige" or "bind" have long stopped having any relevance to the situation, if indeed a situation there still is.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2015-07-04 at 08:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    In the Far Realm, vestige binds YOU!

From what I understand, the Far Realm is not a place. It's the negation of the reality. Being "deep" in it means being far removed from reality itself. Subject, action, cause and consequence disappear. Notions such as "I", "vestige" or "bind" have long stopped having any relevance to the situation, if indeed a situation there still is.
    Considering that you can't even perceive the far realm, as time has no meaning there, binding a vestige is moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

You mentioned that you don't think Binding would work close to the spire... Did you mean the process of binding, accessing the supernatural abilities, or both?
    Both. Nothing supernatural functions close to the Spire.

Along the same lines; vestiges seem to 'exist' in some sense in the cosmos; does their nebulous state extend to other realities?
    Ask your DM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ask your DM.
    Spectacularly useful from the lore master of the cosmos.

I'll take it to mean 'vestiges are a strange and unquantifiable agency in 'existence', their interactions with similarly 'off' places is unknown and probably a bit unpredictable, but you probably shouldn't try it.'
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2015-07-04 at 07:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Spectacularly useful from the lore master of the cosmos.
    Excuse me? Was that snark?

Fine, you want your bloody answers, I'll give you your bloody answers.

Meaning... Can I bind a vestige deep out in the Far Realm?
    Theoretically, no.

Or when I trek to another Cosmology via the Shadow Plane?
    Theoretically, no.

How about... Are Vestiges temporally linear, in that if I traveled back in time to 'before' the Vestige became a Vestige can I still bind it?
    The temporal flow of the Near Realm is unknown. It would not be unreasonable to assume that certain entities would have discerned and studied their vestigial state while alive, were that knowledge available to acquire during their lifetimes, so I would assume that a vestige is not available in the timeline while it still has a foothold in the cosmos.

If 'no' to any of the above, what would happen if I went to (far realm/alternate cosmology/distant past) with a Vestige already bound?
    Nothing relevant, you're carrying part of their essence wrapped up in you. You wouldn't be able to engage in a new bind with that vestige nor any other, and once that binding ran its course you'd no longer have access to those powers.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #216

MonkGirl

Excuse me? Was that snark?
    it was a small amount of snark, I just rarely see you at least not being speculative.

Were The 'Old Ones' that guided the creation of the current cosmology (as mentioned in your great 'Creation of the Prime story') involved in other 'creative events' as well? Alternative Cosmologies or the existence before the current one? Or are their attentions pretty much bound to this creation, and other ones are someone else's doing?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

it was a small amount of snark, I just rarely see you at least not being speculative.
    If I don't give a speculative answer it means I don't want to. Don't goad me into it.

Were The 'Old Ones' that guided the creation of the current cosmology (as mentioned in your great 'Creation of the Prime story') involved in other 'creative events' as well?
    Presumably.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Are the Outer Planes and their inhabitants made of elemental matter?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Excluding any act of delibarate betrayal, material or philosophical, what would be the consequences of leaving the various sigilian factions?

By the book, your previous faction actively looks for you and tries to kill you. Flavor-wise, however, I wouldn't think every faction would react this way
    I guess the Mercykillers, the Doomguard and the Harmonium would certainly do it.
    Leaving the Revolutionnary League, even if the prior member's cell were OK with it, would probably make them open game for any other, more fanatic, cell wanting to build a rep by "disposing" of a traitor to the cause.
    I don't see the Transcendental Order going after someone, if certain that person is not a spy. If the person is acting on instinct and earnestly feels his path leads them away from the Order...
    As for the Xaositects, they might not even realize your not there anymore, or presume you'll be back eventually, whatever, oowww, look at the ooze puddle, isn't it cute? Pigeon tart!
    The Bleak Cabal must have, on a regular basis, to deal with barmies suddenly believing they're a golden lord of Sigil or some hardhead paladin. They might object on a barmy trying to give meaning to anything by leaving, but wouldn't enforcing their absurdism be antithetical to its philosophy? At least, doing it entails caring about someone leaving, which doesn't make any more sense than anything else.
    Same for the Dustmen.
    What about a member of the Society of Sensation who wants to experience what it's like to reject their faction and be free of it?
    Would the Believers of the Source hold someone back, if proven that staying somehow impedes their growth?

Same general question, but if the ex-member leaves to join another faction.

10. - Top - End - #220

MonkGirl

I was reading some Spelljammer stuff and it talked about the possibility of nested crystal spheres one within another.

1) any known examples of this actually taking place?

2) would it make Spelljamning harder to use to get to the 'bottom layer' sphere?

3) what would it look like if your home world was in such a system but not at the bottom layer? Just one star/planet in the sky happens to actually be another crystal sphere? The sun you orbit is actually the other crystal sphere? Or are the distances involved so big that even if you were 'sandwiched' between two walls of two spheres not far off in size from eachother, you wouldn't really notice?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Halfling in the Playground

Taking into account both personal power and the sway they have over their people, how much overall clout and influence across the Outer Planes does the "Faerie Queen" Morwel of the Court of Stars wield in comparison to the other Faerie Queen, Titania of the Seelie Court?

What about in terms of overall influence across the multiverse as a whole?
    Last edited by Adslahnit; 2015-07-06 at 03:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Preincarnate souls come from the Positive Material Plane. They then migrate toward the Prime Material Plane (or where ever they're needed). At death, they migrate to the realms of their patrons they worshipped in life or towards an Outer Plane that links to their alignment (barring special cases such as Forgotten Realms and Athas). Eventually the soul joins with the plane, gets closer to their deity or become an exemplar.

Questions:

1. Is the above correct in my recounting?

2. Barring the spell Reincarnate, do souls ever naturally reincarnate? Do the souls in their afterlife just poof out of existence when a Reincarnate spell is cast?

3. Where do the Rilmani increase their numbers from? Breeding or Petitioners in the Outlands?

This is a speculative question, so feel free to disregard. Does the Ordial Plane exist in afrocannon?
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2015-07-06 at 07:41 PM.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    2. Barring the spell Reincarnate, do souls ever naturally reincarnate? Do the souls in their afterlife just poof out of existence when a Reincarnate spell is cast?
    For the second part, I would think that Reincarnated souls would act exactly like souls who are resurected in a different way. For the first part, reincarnation is part of the Hindu deities' dogma, who exist in the great wheel, and their is a gear in Mechanus called Samsara, where a deity watchs the flow of reincarnation, so yes.

3. Where do the Rilmani increase their numbers from? Breeding or Petitioners in the Outlands?

This is a speculative question, so feel free to disregard. Does the Ordial Plane exist in afrocannon?
    The Rilmani Question has been answered a few threads befor. IIRC the answer was both.
    The Ordial Plane is among the planes afro mentions in the first post of every thread as the planes he answers questions for, so yes.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Melifleur have jurisdiction over the undead creatures known as Sangrolu?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Are the Outer Planes and their inhabitants made of elemental matter?
    Ehh... yes and no.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Excluding any act of delibarate betrayal, material or philosophical, what would be the consequences of leaving the various sigilian factions?
    Your conjectures seem fairly on point.

I was reading some Spelljammer stuff and it talked about the possibility of nested crystal spheres one within another.

1) any known examples of this actually taking place?
    None come to mind. The concept arises from a sidebar on exotic solar system ideas.

2) would it make Spelljamning harder to use to get to the 'bottom layer' sphere?
    Certainly plausible that there would be far fewer natural portals so deep down.

are the distances involved so big that even if you were 'sandwiched' between two walls of two spheres not far off in size from eachother, you wouldn't really notice?
    I would expect so, although by definition as an exotic system we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Adslahnit View Post
    Taking into account both personal power and the sway they have over their people, how much overall clout and influence across the Outer Planes does the "Faerie Queen" Morwel of the Court of Stars wield in comparison to the other Faerie Queen, Titania of the Seelie Court?
    Exemplar ruler > individual deity. Titania is more influential than many, perhaps, and Morwel less than many, but that's the useful rule of thumb.

Preincarnate souls come from the Positive Material Plane. They then migrate toward the Prime Material Plane (or where ever they're needed). At death, they migrate to the realms of their patrons they worshipped in life or towards an Outer Plane that links to their alignment (barring special cases such as Forgotten Realms and Athas). Eventually the soul joins with the plane, gets closer to their deity or become an exemplar.

Questions:

1. Is the above correct in my recounting?
    Looks to be.

It's believed that in some spheres and under some pantheons, reincarnation takes place. The Indian pantheon, for instance. A reincarnate spell is no different from resurrection - you were there, now you're here.

Exemplars arise from souls. Some castes might breed, but I'd imagine most of them aren't into it.

It does.

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Does Melifleur have jurisdiction over the undead creatures known as Sangrolu?
    I have found no evidence that such a creature exists in canon. If you have a primary source citation, I'll take a look (read: not the GitP forum post or anything sourcing it).

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quick Impromptu Poll

I'm going to be fleshing out some new elemental denizens. Which Elemental Plane would you all like to see covered first? Choices are the classics - Air, Earth, Fire or Water.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

FIRE! Heh, heh, heh, FIRE!
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Quick Impromptu Poll

I'm going to be fleshing out some new elemental denizens. Which Elemental Plane would you all like to see covered first? Choices are the classics - Air, Earth, Fire or Water.
    I want to see earth elementals, myself.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fire.

Also, were any Elemental, Paraelemental or Quasielemental creatures not ported over to 3e from 2e? I tried looking through the srd for a Darklight and couldn't find it...
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2015-07-10 at 10:29 PM.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Also, were any Elemental, Paraelemental or Quasielemental creatures not ported over to 3e from 2e? I tried looking through the srd for a Darklight and couldn't find it...
    I would say the majority were not.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Fire.

I second fire, though I'm partial to air as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Asking for a friend: is there any evidence that the Silver Flame is right? Do devout Silver Flame worshipers still wind up in Dolurrh with everyone else, do they really join the Silver Flame or is it left ambiguous?
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick Impromptu Poll

I vote for Earth. But, if possible, I'd vote for Void, Mineral or Dust. (Or even Crystal, if it is a thing.)

24. - Top - End - #234

I vote for air.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Super Evil User View Post
    Asking for a friend: is there any evidence that the Silver Flame is right? Do devout Silver Flame worshipers still wind up in Dolurrh with everyone else, do they really join the Silver Flame or is it left ambiguous?
    Silver Flame worshippers do objectively spend time in Dollurh. Their faith does not deny that, though, IIRC. My take has always been that they claim as the devouts' souls fade in Dollurh, they are merging with the flame rather than fading into oblivion.

Objectively speaking, in Eberron, if your soul is not somehow bound to the material plane, it goes to Dollurh. No religion denies this. They all try to explain what happens after your soul spends too much time in Dollurh, but none deny that time is spent there.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oooooooooh. That explains the time-cap on Resurrection spells...

Eberron is really cool.
    " Welcome, Nerevar. Together we shall speak for the Law and the Land, and shall drive the mongrel dogs of the Empire from Morrowind. "

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quick Impromptu Poll

Nothing can ever be better than FIRE!
    ...but acid wouldn't be bad too...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

gotta be air

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm torn between Fire and Earth. I think I'll vote Earth first (we'll pave the other planes later).
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like Fire...