New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VI

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Thoon is Thoon.
    and Thoon is all.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    and Thoon is all.
    That's ridicu- THOON, THOON, THOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any official sentient planes/demiplanes out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Are there any official sentient planes/demiplanes out there?
    Neth, the Plane That Lives.
    Outer Planes often show a will of their own, but their sentience is debatable.
    One common theory about the Lady of Pain is that she's just an incarnation of Sigil itself.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2015-07-21 at 12:36 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have read the little piece in the Manual of the Planes about it, but is there any place where I could find more information on Faerie?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    I have read the little piece in the Manual of the Planes about it, but is there any place where I could find more information on Faerie?
    If it's in that section of the book and is not the Far Realm, you're basically out of luck. Faerie is a poorly-designed plane.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

7. - Top - End - #277

If it's in that section of the book and is not the Far Realm, you're basically out of luck. Faerie is a poorly-designed plane.
    Thank you for your answer, it spares me a lot of digging through all the material without finding a thing. I fear that I will have to fire up my imagination then.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    Thank you for your answer, it spares me a lot of digging through all the material without finding a thing. I fear that I will have to fire up my imagination then.
    If you want it to exist, I'd recommend simply rebuilding it.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Colossus in the Playground

If you want my take on it: the Plane of Faerie was destroyed in the first Seelie/Unseelie War over Tharizdun's black diamond and broken into smaller, demiplane-like shards. It was a kind of transitive plane, and so are many of its remains. It's hinted and assumed that shadow, mirror and the infinite staircase are remains.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

The World Serpent Inn seems a lot like Sigil, just a tavern instead of a city, and there's no nigh-omnipotent, spiky-haired mystery-lady.

Why is Sigil so much more well-known?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Much bigger, easier accessible, more natives... just choose one.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Much bigger, easier accessible, more natives... just choose one.
    But I've heard food is one the house. That must count for something...
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The World Serpent Inn seems a lot like Sigil, just a tavern instead of a city, and there's no nigh-omnipotent, spiky-haired mystery-lady.

Why is Sigil so much more well-known?
    Because Sigil is bigger and the tavern is kind of off-the-beaten-astral-path.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Colossus in the Playground

One still wonders why no god or archfiend is trying to snatch that piece of real estate though, without a Lady standing on top of it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #285

Perhaps the keeper has plenty of connections, making an attack on it something answered by many different parties. No one wants a rival controlling it. In the same way that a small country can remain peaceful between two large empires.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Besides the Pandorym thing in Elder Evils, is there any example of the Invitables going against the gods? As in, trying to punish a god or to rectify something the gods have done that they see as unlawful?

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Besides the Pandorym thing in Elder Evils, is there any example of the Invitables going against the gods? As in, trying to punish a god or to rectify something the gods have done that they see as unlawful?
    It should be noted that that inevitable was running off of what was essentially a glitch. He wasn't doing something normally allowed by their logic.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    It should be noted that that inevitable was running off of what was essentially a glitch. He wasn't doing something normally allowed by their logic.
    i don't think so. At the end of the chapter it says that even if that inevitable is destroyed, the next in its series will try, and than the next... until they succeed in freeing Pandorym. It wasn't even the first in the series to try. So if it was a glitch, it would be one in the creation forge, not the individual inevitable.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

i don't think so. At the end of the chapter it says that even if that inevitable is destroyed, the next in its series will try, and than the next... until they succeed in freeing Pandorym. It wasn't even the first in the series to try. So if it was a glitch, it would be one in the creation forge, not the individual inevitable.
    Admittedly it would be hilarious if a Marut went after someone who ascended to god hood, after all that's one way of cheating death. Sadly we have little info on what evaluation goes into flipping the switch to create an inevitable, I doubt you'll be seeing one sent out if you break your lease.

Agreed that one didn't seem to be a glitch, inevitables only working on specific violations etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adslahnit View Post
    Elder Evils, page 129 states: "The Herald 'believes' the wizard intends to plunge a sphere of annihilation into the well of many worlds and thus erase the world and perhaps all worlds."

Elder Evils, page 143 states: "Although the procedure Edwin uses to release the Worm that Walks should succeed, it has other unforeseen consequences. The sphere becomes a 'black hole,' annihilating everything in existence. If abandoned, it picks up speed and power, drawing the island, the waters, the air and everything else on the Material Plane into its dimensional fissure, erasing all existence in 1d12+6 minutes."

Does it really take only a sphere of annihilation and a well of many worlds to delete all of the Prime? Why has someone (probably a Doomguard) not already done so?
    Define "eradicate." It could probably empty one, but then again maybe not...
    [/QUOTE]

Does anyone mind if I borrow these? I'm building a Prime Material Plane myself, and this serves as a great explanation for...some details.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    Does anyone mind if I borrow these? I'm building a Prime Material Plane myself, and this serves as a great explanation for...some details.
    Alternate Prime or Crystal Sphere?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-07-23 at 03:45 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Alternate Prime or Crystal Sphere?
    The difference between the two is something I think I'm confused about.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The difference is: the Prime is made of many crystal spheres that are seperated by phlogiston. Every crystal sphere contains one (or rarely more) worlds. An alternate material plane would be a whole other plane, which would be part of another cosmology. The different multiverses are connected by the shadow plane. A given multiverse could also have more than one standard Material Plane, but the Great Wheel doesn't. Note that crystal spheres are not part of canon 3rd edition and that all settings there are alternate cosmologies.

I hope I could help.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    I don't think an inevitable would directly assail a god; beyond being futile, it would be an issue for the varakhuts if they were in any way capable of succeeding. Upheaving a god's misbehaviors, on the other hand, perfectly viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    The difference between the two is something I think I'm confused about.
    Alternate Primes are like... parallel universes, as well as those that are less parallel and those that aren't cognate at all. An alternate Prime may have physical and magical rules so vastly distant from the norm that it's impossible to appreciably compare the two, or it might be a world just like this one except where everyone has a fish stuck to their nose.

Crystal spheres are just individual isolated "solar systems" in arcane space.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Of all the non-Prime races of the Inner Planes, which ones are likely to have a 'mafia-esque' crime ring?
    Last edited by Jurai; 2015-07-23 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

The difference is: the Prime is made of many crystal spheres that are seperated by phlogiston. Every crystal sphere contains one (or rarely more) worlds. An alternate material plane would be a whole other plane, which would be part of another cosmology. The different multiverses are connected by the shadow plane. A given multiverse could also have more than one standard Material Plane, but the Great Wheel doesn't. Note that crystal spheres are not part of canon 3rd edition and that all settings there are alternate cosmologies.

I hope I could help.
    Alternate Primes are like... parallel universes, as well as those that are less parallel and those that aren't cognate at all. An alternate Prime may have physical and magical rules so vastly distant from the norm that it's impossible to appreciably compare the two, or it might be a world just like this one except where everyone has a fish stuck to their nose.

Crystal spheres are just individual isolated "solar systems" in arcane space.
    Aha, I think I begin to see.

To clarify, what's the relationship of planes like Celestia and the Abyss to the Prime Material / crystal spheres? Does each crystal sphere have its own Celestia, or is there one Celestia for the entire Prime that you can get to via plane shift from any crystal sphere, or is there one Celestia that you can get to from any alternate Prime with the proper application of plane shift, or something else?

(Many apologies if this basic-level stuff has already been answered upthread; thread archaeology is harder and more confusing than asking.)

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Of all the non-Prime races of the Inner Planes, which ones are likely to have a 'mafia-esque' crime ring?
    Aside from the efreet's slave ring and interplanar "black" market with a godfather sultan sitting at the top?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Aha, I think I begin to see.

To clarify, what's the relationship of planes like Celestia and the Abyss to the Prime Material / crystal spheres? Does each crystal sphere have its own Celestia, or is there one Celestia for the entire Prime that you can get to via plane shift from any crystal sphere, or is there one Celestia that you can get to from any alternate Prime with the proper application of plane shift, or something else?

(Many apologies if this basic-level stuff has already been answered upthread; thread archaeology is harder and more confusing than asking.)
    No; yes; sort of*; technically**.

*Plane Shift isn't strong enough; you need to cross the Plane of Shadow to the Great Wheel's Prime, then find a way to the Astral, and then to Celestia. Or you can cast Plane Shift, but you still need to cross Shadow first. Some varieties of Epic magic might be able to go from one cosmology to another, but any individual spell (even an Epic one) would likely not be able to connect more than a mere two cosmologies, and they'd need to be quite similar, too; using Shadow is much easier, despite being very hard in its own right..

**There are lots of elses, but none are relevant.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2015-07-23 at 07:27 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't find the source at the moment, but I remember reading that Mortai from the Happy Hunting Ground of the Beastlands keep a strict mastery over the sky, preventing any spell permitting flight of taking effect.
    Would they prevent flight of someone using other means? For example a humanoid druid wild-shaping into an eagle?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to know about stuff that basically has a massive "do not touch" sign on it. The big "NO!"s.

Great untapped powers that are too dangerous, taboo and/or too difficult for even the most unwisely ambitious players to go near in the absence of a most compelling reason. Things that would be so bad that even the greatest enemies adhere to a gentlemen's agreement of "lets not go there". Stuff and actions that would get you dog-piled upon by massive inter-planar powerhouses if you even thought about. Scale is variable though.

On the material plane scale, I'm talking things like waking the Tarrasque. On a planar scale, I'm talking things like that one contract forbidding to discuss pre-universe magic. On the deitic scale, I'm talking things like Pandorym, Tharzidun's prison dimension and the well of souls.

Ideally, if you'd be up for it, I'd like to see a top 10 list of things that no reasonable individual/faction/organization/power would and/or should mess with. Would you be up for doing one, please?
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource