New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VI

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Oooh, that looks neat. If I wanted to learn more about the layer and about the Draeden as a whole, what sources should I look into?
    I can't help you with the information about the layer as a whole, but the main two sources of information about the Draeden are the Gold Box D&D Immortals rules and the Wrath of the Immortals D&D box (i.e. immortals rules 2). I believe there is some stuff scattered around the D&D books but it is just scraps.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh, that looks neat. If I wanted to learn more about the layer and about the Draeden as a whole, what sources should I look into?
    There is also a couple paragraphs about Ulgursheck on pg 126 of the fiendish codex I. That's where i first found it, and never found it again because i never thought to look in the demonweb section because it is a completely different layer. Lolth has a serious hording problem.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    We know the effect of proximity to the Spire on arcane and divine magic. However, does it have any effect on psychic powers? I didn't manage to unhearth any reference supporting any interpretation.
    Did you miss this question? If not, please keep ignoring it.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Fiendish Codex I is the only mention of Ulgurshek. Draedens are very difficult to find info on; you'll want the Immortals Rules for that, or you can ask questions here (or search past threads).

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    I knew you were going to say that.
    I'm very predictable when it comes to stupid things that I hate.

What I really wanted to ask, but couldn't because I'm bad at explaining, is, where would you place geographically if you had to the planes of the great wheel?
    I wouldn't. I'd drink hemlock tea first. I consider the very idea that these planes have any value to be utterly farcical. The notion that they could be equal in stature to the planes of the Great Wheel is completely absurd. Almost all of them are nothing more than clumsily-"designed," pale imitations of the planes they're supposed to be. But here, I'll do two for you for free: I would place The Abyss in the Abyss and The Nine Hells in Baator.

I don't know why you think this is a desirable or interesting idea, but I'm not going to indulge it. Questions not pertaining to that abysmal excuse for a "creative" and "separate" cosmology remain welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    What methods could one use to unseat an Archduke? Specifically to take their place.
    This is a classic. I suppose the other conventional methods are also in order. Mind you it will ultimately depend on how Asmodeus feels about your accession.

How could one become friends with Asmodeus? (this one's a little less serious, but is probably very important)
    Hm. Not really sure. He does have friends, of a sort...

We know the effect of proximity to the Spire on arcane and divine magic. However, does it have any effect on psychic powers? I didn't manage to unhearth any reference supporting any interpretation.
    Psionics short out too. I would expect incarnum, binding, shadowmagic and truenaming all suffer the same fate. Martial initiators... hard to say.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Psionics short out too. I would expect incarnum, binding, shadowmagic and truenaming all suffer the same fate. Martial initiators... hard to say.
    Rules-wise, shadowmagic definitely shorts out. Fluff-wise it is basically just a very alien form of arcane magic linked to the shadow plane. so if arcane magic goes so does shadowmagic.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2015-06-29 at 03:21 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

If you go to a point about halfway between North-by-Clockwise and eleventy-twone-(on-a-logarithmic-scale)-plus-one-over-Idaho...

You'd still be in a place, right?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Questions pertaining to Something Wild:
    - Just a detail: Claws of Malar, were they ever adapted for 3.X?
    - I know that vaaths, vargouilles and demodands can be encountered on Colothys. What other natives dwell there?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I respect your possition on the cosmology, albeit I might no share it.

Ok... So what would you deem the best sources for valid/canon information on the planes, the deities who live theres etc. anno circa: 1350-1374-ish?

I have access to most 2nd and 3.x material. Dragon Magazines also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

anno circa: 1350-1374-ish?
    What calendar system? Sigilian?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    What calendar system? Sigilian?
    Sorry DR as in Forgotten Realms Dale Reckoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Questions pertaining to Something Wild:
    - Just a detail: Claws of Malar, were they ever adapted for 3.X?
    Officially? Don't think so.

- I know that vaaths, vargouilles and demodands can be encountered on Colothys. What other natives dwell there?
    Egh... odopi, probably a few Tarterian dragons, bonespears, shrieking terrors, varrangoins have been found there, though they aren't native... local hordlings... utukku, vorr... I'd expect some bloodthorn.

Ok... So what would you deem the best sources for valid/canon information on the planes, the deities who live theres etc. anno circa: 1350-1374-ish?
    Me. A more comprehensive answer will have to wait.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Empyreal Citadels, I kinda want to talk about them but don't have any actual questions do, I dunno, any thoughts where they'd be located (aside from listed "rumors" in Toril and Greyhawk), and interesting things to fill them with?

Also, kinda thinking about doing a Hindu inspired planar campaign but not sure how to structure it. Maybe kick out the transitive planes and replace them with a modified (see: neutral) beastlands? Keep Celestia and the nine hells but cut the latter down to seven? Any suggestions welcome. Understood if you don't want to touch this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mind you, all my Hindu knowledge is years old and I don't remember much, but maybe using the Plane of Spirits (Manual of the Planes) instead of the transitive planes?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Officially? Don't think so.
    I'll stat it as an Exotic weapon, giving a +1/+1 bonus to attack when dual wielded, 1d6 damage for medium size, 20 critical, rend for 2d6+Str damage if both claws hit.

Egh... odopi, probably a few Tarterian dragons, bonespears, shrieking terrors, varrangoins have been found there, though they aren't native... local hordlings... utukku, vorr... I'd expect some bloodthorn.
    Thanks a lot! Vorr and bonespear will come handy. I already knew about shrieking terrors, didn't mention them since they're pretty much implied by vargouilles.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Empyreal Citadels, I kinda want to talk about them but don't have any actual questions do, I dunno, any thoughts where they'd be located (aside from listed "rumors" in Toril and Greyhawk), and interesting things to fill them with?
    Oh, is it already time for another round of Let's Refer To One Of Fro's Least Favorite Books? Alright then.

Ugh, let's see... I would expect that if an Empyreal Citadel is not somewhere in the Great Glacier, then it's likely not on the macrocontinent at all - too many adventurers, wizards, kingdoms and empires traipsing around all across it. Anchorômé, perhaps, or Aurune, or maybe the Land of Flying Monkeys or the Unknown Lands west of Maztica.

What other Prime worlds can we really talk about... hm. Eberron's not really my strong suit, but you've got Xen'drik out there, that's pretty unexplored. The strange land-bite south of it, perhaps? On Krynn I doubt one would be needed, but I'd say the outer isles around Adlatum would be suitable.

What's inside? Very few eladrin, I'd wager, since they're not to interact with mortals on the Prime as a general rule and might get antsy about having to stay shut up in a hidden base with only other celestials for company. No asuras. Guardinals and archons, I would expect, with a couple of lower-end angels along, and allied celestial beasts.

Also, kinda thinking about doing a Hindu inspired planar campaign but not sure how to structure it. Maybe kick out the transitive planes and replace them with a modified (see: neutral) beastlands? Keep Celestia and the nine hells but cut the latter down to seven? Any suggestions welcome. Understood if you don't want to touch this one.
    That cosmology is not really my strong suit, sadly.

Thanks a lot! Vorr and bonespear will come handy. I already knew about shrieking terrors, didn't mention them since they're pretty much implied by vargouilles.
    Let me know if you need any more, I can homebrew some up. My homebrew muscle is getting rusty from disuse.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Afroakuma, I put sweaters on enough cats in Sigil to get mazed. I escaped because I was part minotaur, but now the Lady of Pain won't return my calls. What do?
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Afroakuma, I put sweaters on enough cats in Sigil to get mazed. I escaped because I was part minotaur, but now the Lady of Pain won't return my calls. What do?
    Have you thought about writing down your emotions at this point? Try to put yourself into the shoes of this lady friend you are mentioning: how would you feel in her place? Maybe you should give her some space, and some time away from you. She might get in touch eventually. What, wrong thread?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

What other Prime worlds can we really talk about... hm. Eberron's not really my strong suit, but you've got Xen'drik out there, that's pretty unexplored. The strange land-bite south of it, perhaps?
    Xen’drik is not only unexplored, but unexplorable due to magics moving things around constantly. Also, there is a far-northern continent, supposedly where the dwarves originally came from, that is so utterly locked down with cold and ice that no significant exploration of it have been made either.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, is it already time for another round of Let's Refer To One Of Fro's Least Favorite Books? Alright then.
    In an act of appeasement I offer up these paintings from a local artist that have a distinctly Far Realm / Abberation feel. Some of them at least.

Ugh, let's see... I would expect that if an Empyreal Citadel is not somewhere in the Great Glacier, then it's likely not on the macrocontinent at all - too many adventurers, wizards, kingdoms and empires traipsing around all across it. Anchorômé, perhaps, or Aurune, or maybe the Land of Flying Monkeys or the Unknown Lands west of Maztica.

What other Prime worlds can we really talk about... hm. Eberron's not really my strong suit, but you've got Xen'drik out there, that's pretty unexplored. The strange land-bite south of it, perhaps? On Krynn I doubt one would be needed, but I'd say the outer isles around Adlatum would be suitable.

What's inside? Very few eladrin, I'd wager, since they're not to interact with mortals on the Prime as a general rule and might get antsy about having to stay shut up in a hidden base with only other celestials for company. No asuras. Guardinals and archons, I would expect, with a couple of lower-end angels along, and allied celestial beasts.
    Sounds good. I had considered Athens but doesn't seem quite right, not enough of a demonic force to be countering. Aside, are the Empyreal Citadels one of the things you disliked from this source?

That cosmology is not really my strong suit, sadly.
    Fair enough. I can't recall having seen much detail on it within the context of D&D in any of the older sources but it's been a while since I've looked.

I put sweaters on enough cats in Sigil to get mazed.
    Well that's your mistake right there, her Serenity is not some old crazy cat lady. Try sweaters for penguins next time (sweaters for penguins: for when formal wear just won't do).
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Aside, are the Empyreal Citadels one of the things you disliked from this source?
    They're not particularly good, but miles better than the worst of it.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

An NPC in the Spelljammer game I'm running mentioned something as being "from beyond the phlogiston". I'm assuming that this NPC was simply misinformed about the nature of wildspace the phlogiston, or at best was waxing poetical about describing something from beyond well-mapped, easily accessible by phlogiston flow, regions. But I want to make sure there's not a more literal interpretation I could be overlooking. So, probably a dumb question, but: wildspace the phlogiston just goes on forever, right? Doesn't have a border or an end?
    Last edited by Malimar; 2015-07-03 at 10:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    An NPC in the Spelljammer game I'm running mentioned something as being "from beyond the phlogiston". I'm assuming that this NPC was simply misinformed about the nature of wildspace, or at best was waxing poetical about describing something from beyond well-mapped, easily accessible by phlogiston flow, regions. But I want to make sure there's not a more literal interpretation I could be overlooking. So, probably a dumb question, but: wildspace just goes on forever, right? Doesn't have a border or an end?
    Wildspace is the inside of a Crystal Sphere whereas Phlogiston is the outside; the latter is endless, the former isn't.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Wildspace is the inside of a Crystal Sphere whereas Phlogiston is the outside; the latter is endless, the former isn't.
    Wait, how did I miss that? Jeez, I guess I didn't do my reading carefully enough, somehow I thought they were synonyms (or, more precisely, that wildspace was the place, phlogiston was the substance). Inept Malimar is inept.

Now I know!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Who (or what) exactly is Ulgurshek? I came across it in Fiendish Codex I, and it made me curious. All it says is that it's "An acient entity created before the formation of the Great Wheel."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Who (or what) exactly is Ulgurshek? I came across it in Fiendish Codex I, and it made me curious. All it says is that it's "An acient entity created before the formation of the Great Wheel."
    Sounds like a Draeden to me.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds like a Draeden to me.
    I have this strange sense, almost as if we covered this, a page ago

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

I have this strange sense, almost as if we covered this, a page ago
    We probably did, I'm bad at remembering how long ago things were.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    An NPC in the Spelljammer game I'm running mentioned something as being "from beyond the phlogiston".
    Poetic way of describing something from another plane.

Buuuut more likely that NPC was performing autocraniorectal oratory, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Ulgurshek is a draeden, an incalculably ancient being from a race that despises elemental matter.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Poetic way of describing something from another plane.

Buuuut more likely that NPC was performing autocraniorectal oratory, if you know what I mean.
    Hehe, as I suspected. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

You mentioned that you don't think Binding would work close to the spire... Did you mean the process of binding, accessing the supernatural abilities, or both?

Along the same lines; vestiges seem to 'exist' in some sense in the cosmos; does their nebulous state extend to other realities?

Meaning... Can I bind a vestige deep out in the Far Realm?

Or when I trek to another Cosmology via the Shadow Plane?

How about... Are Vestiges temporally linear, in that if I traveled back in time to 'before' the Vestige became a Vestige can I still bind it?

If 'no' to any of the above, what would happen if I went to (far realm/alternate cosmology/distant past) with a Vestige already bound?