New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Banned

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: 30. Really? 30?

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Edit: Because we've got contesting answers here, I'll add an example. If Mary and Sue are identical twins, and Sue enters a lottery and wins a car, is the lottery required to also give Mary a car because the twins are identical except for their names?
    Wouldn't the point of contention be whether the bonus is a function of bardic knowledge (in which case it is copied, as lore is identical to bardic knowledge) or Knowledge (History) (in which case it is not copied, as Knowledge (History) refers to a specific ability)?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brova View Post
    Wouldn't the point of contention be whether the bonus is a function of bardic knowledge (in which case it is copied, as lore is identical to bardic knowledge) or Knowledge (History) (in which case it is not copied, as Knowledge (History) refers to a specific ability)?
    This point is not actually in contention at all, because the bonus comes from having skill synergy with the Knowledge (history) skill. By strict RAW, that synergy bonus applies to Bardic Knowledge, and the only question here is whether or not the Lore ability possessed by Cloistered Clerics (and Loremasters), which differs only in name and which class counts towards the check, is close enough to being the same thing to also get that bonus.

I believe this to be an oversight (or at the very least, a point of ambiguity) in the rules, one which is easily solvable without needing to determine whether or not following the strictest reading of the rules confers the bonus to non-Bards. I, for one, would totally allow it at my table, but I'm of the opinion that the rules are not some infallible holy text.

However, that is not the purpose of this thread. This thread is for determining exactly where the lines are drawn when possible, or saying that it has to be determined by each individual DM otherwise. I am not convinced 100% that we can't determine where the line actually lies in this particular case, I just don't think that finding it is of any great importance. We've pretty much hashed it out, and we should all have enough information to make up our own minds. It isn't always necessary to come to a consensus.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Q 124

(I may have asked this in the past) Do monsters with innate spellcasting (like a Rakshasa) count as having spells on their list for spell trigger and spell completion items?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    This point is not actually in contention at all, because the bonus comes from having skill synergy with the Knowledge (history) skill. By strict RAW, that synergy bonus applies to Bardic Knowledge, and the only question here is whether or not the Lore ability possessed by Cloistered Clerics (and Loremasters), which differs only in name and which class counts towards the check, is close enough to being the same thing to also get that bonus.
    Yes, and skill synergy is outlined in two places, the skill that grants the synergy bonus and the skill that receives it. In this case, bardic knowledge says:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Bardic Knowledge
    If the bard has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), he gains a +2 bonus on this check.
    Which implies that the bonus is a part of the ability, which is copied by the Cloistered Cleric's lore ability. OTOH, Knowledge (History) has text referring to specifically and exclusively bardic knowledge.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

@Brova:

Hmm... okay, I concede the point. I think the rest of my post (about further investigation into this issue being more-or-less unnecessary) still stands, though.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Q125: Are there any 1st or 2nd level Wizard spells that nauseate a target?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 124

(I may have asked this in the past) Do monsters with innate spellcasting (like a Rakshasa) count as having spells on their list for spell trigger and spell completion items?
    A 124 Yes.

The rakshasa casts spells as a Sorcerer. They have the spells known and spell list of a Sorcerer. If they take additional levels of Sorcerer, those levels stack with their innate spellcasting ability to determine their Sorcerer spells per day and spells known.

The same goes for other creatures with innate spellcasting abilities, including dragons (Sorcerer casting), nymphs (Druid casting), and angels (Cleric casting).

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q126

Are a creature's type/subtype traits (Ex) abilities?
    Contest Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ayesha: Gold, Junkyard Wars I
    The Last Warder: Silver, Junkyard Wars IV
    Princess Pufflebutt: Silver, Junkyard Wars VII
    Gren Beastclaws: Silver, Junkyard Wars VIII
    Mother Halfbreed: Silver, Iron Chef Home Cooking I

Vathoa Frostspeaker Kualavoaka: Gold, Junkyard Wars IX
    Sanna Blackfish: Bronze, Villainous Competition II
    Annabelle: Gold, Villainous Competition IV
    Nulara of the Evil Eye: Gold, Villainous Competition IX

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

A 125 Yes

Just looking in the Spell Compendium, there's Fetid Breath, Ironguts, and Wall of Smoke at 1st level, and Cloud of Bewilderment at 2nd level. There are probably more in other books.

A 126 Not usually

Most of them have no designation, and are therefore natural abilities.
    Natural abilities are those not otherwise designated as extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like.
    There are exceptions, such as the Distraction (Ex) ability associated with the Swarm subtype, or the various (Su) abilities associated with the Archon subtype.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-06-27 at 05:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Q127

A character contracts afflicted lycanthropy (the Lycanthrope template) with their animal form being a wolf with the woodling template. Now, according the "Alternate Form" special ability, a creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template. However, according to the rules for afflicted lycanthropes, the lycanthrope must make a Control Shape check to avoid being forced into their animal form. That character is dealt damage, and is incapable of succeeding on the Control Shape check. Do they transform into a wolf with the woodline template, a wolf without the template, or do they not transform at all?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

A 127 Partial

Ask your DM. The lycanthropy rules make no mention whether templated creatures in general or woodling creatures in particular are suitable as base animals. You could argue that a creature that is partly plant does not fit the predator, scavenger, or omnivore categories as required for the base animal. If the DM decides that such a form works, the lycanthropy rules are more specific and thus override the general alternate form rules. There is no rule that would strip the template.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Q128

If an elf comes within 5ft of an illusionary wall that is concealing an entrance, though not a door, does he get a free will save as if he was interacting with it?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 128

No.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
    Being entitled to Search check isn't the same as being entitled a Will save.

A 123

I've started a discussion thread here.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2015-06-27 at 09:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 129 Is there any way for a Wizard to cast antimagic field (or any spell with a target of "you") on anything other than himself or his familiar? Feat, class feature, etc.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

A 129 Yes

Two levels of Arcane Archer would allow you to cast Antimagic Field on the target of a ranged attack. Four levels of Spellsword or three levels of Ordained Champion would allow you to channel it onto the target of a melee attack. There may be other ways as well.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-06-27 at 11:56 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q130

While this may be implicit I want to be sure: Robilar's Gambit (PH2, page 82) has an ability to generate AoO from enemies that "swing" against my PC. Does this include spells and/or ranged attacks? Imagne for X or Y reason caster is in the threaten zone. Caster throws a) Fireball with my PC inside the AoE effect b) Fireball with my PC outside the AoE effect c) Fog with my PC inside the AoE effect. What happens en very scenario?

Thanks.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

A 130

a) No. You are not the target of the fireball. A point in space is.
    b) No. see above
    c) Assuming you mean the Fog Cloud spell, again no for the same reason as above.

Robilar's Gambit wouldn't even work for spells like magic missile that do target you:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB II p. 82
    Anyone who strikes at you gains a +4 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against you. In return, they provoke attacks of opportunity from you each time they swing.
    This part has several restrictions. The opponents gain a bonus when they strike at you. Spells very rarely involve striking anyone. Additionally you only gain the AoOs in return, so if there is no bonus, there is no AoO. Additionally it is up to the DM to determine which attacks actually involve swinging. If the attacker does not swing (such as with a stabbing weapon) you get no AoO.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2015-06-28 at 11:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 131
    Can Human Half-Fiend Fighter 4 take "Obtain familiar" feat? (Assuming he has enough ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) )

Spoiler
    Show

According to these, I let my PC to use but are those make it legit?

Obtain Familiar Prerequisite
    Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, arcane caster level 3rd

Spell-Like Abilities
    A half-fiend with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
    Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.
    Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 131

Ask your DM.

"Arcane caster level" is never defined in the rules, so that requires DM judgement.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

A 131:

Spell-like abilities, unless specified otherwise (like for the warlock) are neither arcane nor divine. They default to being like the sorcerer/wizard version of a spell, but that just gives variables like level.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Q132: if an exemplar (CAdv) later increases their int, does the number of skills chosen for skill mastery increase as well?
    i apologize in advance for being wrong, im not quite there yet!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 132 No.

The initial selection of skills occurs when the Skill Mastery class feature is acquired, and that's the only time the Exemplar's Intelligence is used to determine their mastered skills.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 133

Defeating an NPC druid (CR5) and his animal companion (CR2) will earn the victors the druid's XP (CR5). Right?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 133 Yes.

The animal companion is a class feature of the Druid, so it's part of the package.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q.134
    Suppose a scout archer uses great flyby attack. Do all enemies have to be within 30' during the whole movement or at some point during the movement for the skirmish effect to trigger ?
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

26. - Top - End - #296
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 132 Addendum

While it isn't automatic, you could theoretically do a Class Feature Retraining in order to change/add skills to your mastery list. (q.v. table 8-2 on PHB2 page 193; compare to Wizard's retraining Schools/Specialization)

That'd take 1 Week (1st level ability) and cost 500 gp. (PHB 2).

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A.134

All targets must be within your reach along the line of your movement
    On one hand, each target must be within reach at some point during the Great Flyby Attack, not necessarily simultaneously with every other target.

On the other hand, each target must be within your reach at some point during the Great Flyby Attack. So, unless you have greater than 5' reach, you need to be adjacent to your targets at some point during your move. RAW, the feat still protects you from AoOs generated by firing a bow against those opponents.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 132 Addendum
    Quote Originally Posted by marphod View Post
    While it isn't automatic, you could theoretically do a Class Feature Retraining in order to change/add skills to your mastery list. (q.v. table 8-2 on PHB2 page 193; compare to Wizard's retraining Schools/Specialization)

That'd take 1 Week (1st level ability) and cost 500 gp. (PHB 2).
    I believe you've misinterpreted the footnote:
    1 Based on the original level at which the class feature or substitution level is gained.
    "At the original level" must refer to character level (not levels in the class) to be a generally applicable formula. Accordingly, the minimum time would be 5˝ weeks (for entry into Exemplar at the earliest point, character level 11) and the minimum cost would be 2,750 gp.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q 135

Does the Use Magic Device Skill work on artifacts? For example: a LG character who isn't a divine caster attempting to active a Talisman of Pure Good.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 135

Yes. Artifacts are Magic Items still.

UMD can be used to emulate alignment, class feature, ability score, or race when using a magic item. Not a wondrous item, but any magic item. This includes artifacts.

However, in your example, the requirements are two: first, be Good; second, be a divine spellcaster.

Being of the Good alignment can be bypassed with Emulate Alignment from UMD (the target would still get the Reflex save, since being "exceptionally pure in thought and deed" isn't emulated)

While Divine Spellcasting isn't a class feature as in of itself, a cleric, for example, has a "Spells" class feature that, when emulated allows you to be treated as one, since emulating the "Spells" class feature allows you to activate a magic item as if you casts divine spells.