New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: 30. Really? 30?

A 30

Once per two caster levels it allows you to cast divine spells as arcane and vice versa. With a CL of four you can cast two spells of one type and the rest of your spells of the other type. With CL 4 you can most likely cast 2nd level spells. So as long as you have at least four second level spell slots you can cast "2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells". So a sorcerer with Southern magician and CHA 12+ or a wizard with INT 22+ could take the first level ofg Mystic Theurge at level 5.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Q 31 Is there any errata that allows Ascetic Stalker to be taken as a monk bonus feat?
    Iron Chef in the Playground LXVI - Honorable Mention : Azalin Stonecutter

Iron Chef Home Cooking in the Playground II - Second Place : Takenaka Kenshin

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Q 32 What happens when you cast a Maximized alter fortune (PHBII)? Is the reroll an automatic 20?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Q 033

Is a Spellwarped Human eligible to take the Human Heritage feat?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

A 32

Maximize spell does not do anything to alter fortune. Causing a reroll is not a variable, numeric effect. It is actually a fixed non-numerical effect. The result of that reroll is not part of the spell's effect.

A 33

Yes. The spellwarped template only changes the creature's type, not its race. Humans are obviously descended from humans, so the human race is human-descended race.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 31

The Comp Scoundrel errata makes no such mention.

Q 32

Is the a feat or spell (likely a Drag Mag one) that allows you to share a spell with a creature much like a Wizard and with his familiar?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2015-06-10 at 09:02 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q33 : How long does it take for a creature (Doppelganger for example) to assume a new form via Change Shape (Su) ? I'd be inclined to rule "a full-round action", but the ability itself doesn't seem to mention that.
    Last edited by Seto; 2015-06-10 at 10:49 AM.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

A 033

Change Shape is a Supernatural Ability, so it takes a standard action:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 33

Standard Action

Quote Originally Posted by SRD:Supernatural Abilities
    Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Q34
    What is that one feat allows to put one more skill point into a skill than normal? This is for getting into a high skill point PrC one level early.
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A34:

Primary Contact from Cityscape will do that. It has Favored as a prerequisite though.

ETA: Favored is also from Cityscape.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-06-10 at 08:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Q35: What is the lowest level Wizard spell that can summon or call an Undead or Construct?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 020 (which appears to have been unanswered)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Are there any Magic Items or Spells that allow you to make a Knowledge Check untrained?
    Yes.

Indirectly, you can use Contact Other Plane, Commune, or similar or other Divinations to ask powers. You can also summon creatures with the knowledge in question. There are plenty of other indirect methods. (Probe thoughts, Speak with Dead, etc.; familiars with Knowledge skills, wish, using scrying, etc.) Legend Lore can also do what you want, as can various means of telepathy.

Directly, not-core, but Anamenisis (Dragon 338) is a bard3 Wiz/Sorc4 that allows just that.

From core:
    I thought I saw Crystal of some sort in either the Psionics or Eberron books, but if I did, I can't find it now.

Combined Talent (Bard 1; Complete Mage) lets one creature use the skill ranks of another (willing) creature.

Husk Globes (Libris Mortis) contain the memories of a creature, that can be questioned.

Protoege (Bard 6, Complete Adventurer) lets a character make Bardic Knowledge checks for a limited time.

Intelligent Magic Items may have ranks in a knowledge skill.

Vizier from the Deck of Many Things. (Good luck with that one.)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    A 35: What is the lowest level Wizard spell that can summon or call an Undead or Construct?
    For undead, Level 1. Summon Undead I (Libris Mortis)

(edit: forgot the roman numeral.)
    Last edited by marphod; 2015-06-10 at 11:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Psionic Questions, ho!

A35
    You can use silent image et al to fake summoning/calling creatures. You can 'summon' an iron golem from level 1 with silent image.

Q36
    Psionic contingency can manifest a power of a specific power level. What about applying metapsionics to this? What happens to my psionic focus? (Seemingly, my psionic focus is spent during the manifestation of psionic contingency.)

Q37
    Does this mean I can use psionic contingency to manifest a Twinned synchronicity Linked to another Twinned synchronicity? If so, how many psionic focuses do I need? What manifester level?
    Last edited by Endarire; 2015-06-11 at 03:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Questions, ho!

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    A35
    You can use silent image et al to fake summoning/calling creatures. You can 'summon' an iron golem from level 1 with silent image.
    No you can't. You can create the illusion of a construct with silent image, nothing more, nothing less.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Paralyzed flying

Q 38

Can a creature under the effect of a fly spell that becomes paralyzed continue to fly? (In other words, is using a fly spell a "purely mental action"?)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

A.038
    A creature that relies on wings falls if paralyzed. The subject of a fly spell necessitates ONLY, merely, concentration to stay in the air.
    A creature that has an average manoverability or worse falls if it cannot maintain forward speed. Fly give good manoverability.
    Thus I guess, a paralyzed creature under the fly spell just stands still (not even prone).

Spoiler: Minimum Forward Speed, Rules compendium p92
    Show
    If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it’s too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover; otherwise, it falls an additional 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. If not, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.

Spoiler: Fly
    Show
    Using a fly spell requires only as much concentration as walking, so the subject can attack or cast spells normally.

Q.039
    When a caster summons a creature within the spell range, are there other limitations such as firm soil / air / water, line of view / line effect between the summoner and the creature... ?
    Last edited by HurinTheCursed; 2015-06-11 at 10:37 AM.
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 39

You need only a proper terrain and Line of Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD:Conjuration School
    A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD:Spell Description
    You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.
    However, if the summoned creature intends to make an attack or some other action, the creature may have need to have Line of Sight.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 40

Say there is a spellwarped elf, who then becomes a lich. What, if any, of the spellwarped qualities does it keep upon becoming a lich? Can it become a lich at all?
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Q 41

Dvati cannot cast two spells simultaneously, as per their racial sheet.

Multivoice permits beings who ordinarily can't cast two spells simultaneously to do so.

Which ruling is the one that actually takes effect, in the event of a Dvati pair with Multivoice?
    Last edited by Falcos; 2015-06-11 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    I have one PC in my campaign who constantly tries to force his enemies to yield (by shrieking "JUSTICE!" in a high-pitched shrill voice, since he's a freaking Tiny-size fairy cleric of St. Cuthbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    We're horrible people and are waiting for you to let your guard down before we pounce and feast upon your flesh.
    My friend's Sun-Themed Discipline! PEACH!

My Ice-Themed Martial Discipline! Also PEACH!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 041

Multivoice does not remove the Dvati racial requirement:
    When a dvati casts a spell, both members of the pair must focus and concentrate on it.
    Only if you can find a way for each Dvati twin to concentrate on two spells simultaneously, and also fulfill all the Multivoice requirements, could you benefit from the feat.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 42

If a DFA uses the Humanoid Shape invocation to create a disguise to change his physical appearance, and then uses a Hat of Disguise towards the same disguise (e.g. clothes, features the invocation can't copy), do the bonuses from the two stack at all, somehow partially, or in full?

Q 43

If an unseen servant (in his caster's square) is given an Eversmoking Bottle and told to un-stopper it if anyone attacks the caster, what is the result of this set up in common combat situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 043

An Unseen Servant is mindless and thus cannot anticipate any actions. The spell also does not specify any capability to interrupt any actions. In this scenario the attack would take place to completion, and then the Unseen Servant would unstopper the Eversmoking Bottle. The smoke would obscure vision 1 round later, after the attacker's next turn.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q44

Is it possible to voluntarily suppress a supernatural ability.

Example, a Stormlord suppressing the shocking burst effect on his Javelins? (Dang Golems)
    Last edited by Frendle; 2015-06-11 at 04:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

A 44

It depends on the wording of the ability. Generally Supernatural abilities require a standard action to use. If you do not activate them they do not work. In case of the Shocking Burst ability of the stormlord, the ability specifies to treat the javelin as a shocking burst javelin which in turn inherits properties from the shock weapon special ability. Shock weapons can be turned off.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

A040

An aberration cannot become a Lich, at least through normal means. 20 levels in Dread Necromancer would do it. Correction: you still need to be humanoid.

If you find a way to achieve this, it would keep all Spellwarped abilities (except for Con bonus).

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 45

Is the flight granted by the Starspawn feat winged flight?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Q 46 Can an Illuman (Races of Destiny race that's made of words. I'm away from book so probably spelling there name wrong.) pick up the Necropolitant template?
    "I Burn!"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

A046

Yes - Illumians are Humanoids, and the Necropolitan template can be added to any Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid.