New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5: 30. Really? 30?

Q59 Does an armors max dex limitation apply to Reflex saves as well as AC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

A 59

Nope. It only applies to what it says it applies to. The maximum DEX bonus you can add to your AC. The DEX Bonus to reflex saves is something completely different.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    This number is the maximum Dexterity bonus to AC that this type of armor allows. Heavier armors limit mobility, reducing the wearer’s ability to dodge blows. This restriction doesn’t affect any other Dexterity-related abilities.

3. - Top - End - #123

SwashbucklerGuy

Seems kind of odd that a fighter in full plate with an 18 Dex is just as capable of dodging AoEs as a barbarian with an 18 Dex in Hide armor, but OK

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marphod View Post
    Q 053 How do Bloodline levels (Unearthed Arcana) interact with multiclass feats and corresponding abilities?

Q 053a
    More Specifically, a character with 7 class levels Scout 3, Ranger 2, Swordsage 1, Barbarian 1 with 2 Bloodline Levels and Swift Hunter. Bloodline levels do not, RAW increase the scout's effective level with respect to Skirmish (despite being calcuable, it is on a chart like sneak attack). However, Swift Hunter adds Ranger levels to the Scout's Skirmish Progression. So, does the character have the Skirmish abilities of a 5th level Scout (3 Scout Levels + 2 Ranger) or a 7th level scout (3 Scout Levels plus (2 Ranger and 2 bloodline)) (I can see an argument for 9th level, as well, but that argument is weak.)

Q 053b
    What is the characters effective martial initiator level?
    It could be anywhere from 4 (Ssage 1 + 1/2 other class levels, ignoring Bloodline levels) to 9 ( Ssage + bloodline + 1/2( (scout+ bloodline) + (ramger + bloodline) + (barbarian + bloodline)). I tend to think it is 6 (ssage + bloodline + 1/2 others), but can also see an argument for any of the aforementioned values or even others in that range.
    A 053a

RAW, 9th Level. Bloodlines don't give you additional class abilities, but they do raise the level of any class abilities you already have. Since you already have the scout class skirmish ability, your effective scout level is now effectively 5, your ranger level is effectively 4, and the total is 9.

A 053b

RAW, your martial initiator level is indeed 9, because the two bloodline levels add to every one of your classes separately as in your second example.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

A 53a contention

Swift Hunter is a feat, not a class ability.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    A 53a contention

Swift Hunter is a feat, not a class ability.
    I'm not sure how that is relevant.

Its a feat that allows you to count Ranger levels towards Skirmish and Scout levels towards Favored Enemies.

---

On the other hand, assuming the official FAQ is considered definitive, I'm fairly certain the Skirmish is not 9th level.

Many class features improve as you gain levels but aren’t specifically calculated with class level. A rogue’s sneak attack, for example, improves at a fixed rate, but it doesn’t specifically use your class level to calculate its value in the way that the abilities listed above do.
    (FAQ -- as a counterpoint to things like save DCs, caster level, stunning fists per day)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marphod View Post
    On the other hand, assuming the official FAQ is considered definitive, I'm fairly certain the Skirmish is not 9th level.

(FAQ -- as a counterpoint to things like save DCs, caster level, stunning fists per day)
    FAQ is not RAW, so it is not definitive.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Q54
    Is there a feat (series of feats) that will let me add the two chaos shuffle spells to cleric spell list?
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

A 60 Numbering is off

Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    Q54
    Is there a feat (series of feats) that will let me add the two chaos shuffle spells to cleric spell list?
    No, but they already are on the cleric spell list:
    Quote Originally Posted by FCI p. 92 on Embrace the Dark Chaos
    Level: Cleric 8, sorcerer/wizard 8
    Quote Originally Posted by FCI p. 95 on Shun the Dark Chaos
    Level: Cleric 8, sorcerer/wizard 8

10. - Top - End - #130

Imp

Q61

Does Mirror Image affect Power Word Stun? As in, does the caster have to roll which of the creature/images he'll hit with it?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2015-06-14 at 05:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

A 61

Yes, unless he has some way of knowing which is which. If he chooses an image the spell fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Power word Stun
    Target: One creature with 150 hp or less
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD On Target or Targets
    Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Mirror Image
    Several illusory duplicates of you pop into being, making it difficult for enemies to know which target to attack. The figments stay near you and disappear when struck.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Spell Failure
    If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 62

Tremorsense
    If no straight path exists through the ground from the creature to those that it’s sensing, then the range defines the maximum distance of the shortest indirect path.

Can anyone explain this a little better?
    Does it mean that if the there's 50 ft. high wall between the senser and the target, the senser cannot sense the target if he/she has 30 ft. tremorsense? The target is right behing the wall and the distance between the senser and the target is 10 ft.
    ___|
    ___|
    T__|__S
    Tar W Senser
    get A
    ___L
    ___L
    The wall is 50 ft. high, the distance between T and S is 10 ft. and the tremorsense reaches 30 ft. Does the wall block the tremorsense?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q 063

If I pin-pointed the location of an invisible creature, but can't actually see it, can I charge the designated square the creature is supposedly in?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

A 62:

A wall does not interrupt a straight-line path through the ground, so tremorsense still works just fine for detecting creatures on the other side of a wall. On the other hand, if you replace that wall with a crevasse, it would interrupt the straight-line path, since now the straight-line path would have to pass through the open air in the crevasse.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

A 63

Not unless your method of perception is deemed sight equivalent.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 310
    If you can’t see the target (for instance, if you’re blind or the target is invisible), you can’t have line of sight to it even if you could draw an unblocked line between your space and the target’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Charge
    If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.
    I cannot find a rule saying that either blindsight or blindsense establish line of sight when a creature is detected, even though the former at least definitely should.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2015-06-14 at 07:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 63 addendum

I cannot find a rule saying that either blindsight or blindsense establish line of sight when a creature is detected, even though the former at least definitely should.
    Using nonvisual senses, such as sensitivity to vibrations, keen smell, acute hearing, or echolocation, a creature with blindsight maneuvers and fights as well as a sighted creature. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though the creature must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern that creature or object.
    (Emphasis mine)

If you have blindsight, you have Line of Sight as long as you have Line of Effect.

Blindsense does not, however:
    Any opponent the creature cannot see still has total concealment (50% miss chance) against the creature with blindsense, and the creature still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Q 064

I don't understand the swallow hole special attack. The last part says:
    If the swallowed opponent escapes the grapple, it ends up back in the attacker’s mouth, where it can be bitten or swallowed again.
    What does it mean? Is the creature still grappled? I think the answer should be "yes", because:
    - The swallow hole attack is similar to a pin attempt ("it can attempt a new grapple check ("[...] as though attempting to pin the opponent [...]").
    - It says the creature can be swallowed again and, in order to be swallowed, it has to be grappled.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aplostor View Post
    Q 064

I don't understand the swallow hole special attack. The last part says:
    What does it mean? Is the creature still grappled? I think the answer should be "yes", because:
    - The swallow hole attack is similar to a pin attempt ("it can attempt a new grapple check ("[...] as though attempting to pin the opponent [...]").
    - It says the creature can be swallowed again and, in order to be swallowed, it has to be grappled.
    A64No. Once you escape the grapple, you are no longer grappled.

round 1) you bite, impgrab, grapple
    round 2) you start your turn with your opponent in your mouth, so you can activate swallow whole, making a pin attempt by rolling grapple. then you take tummy damage as detailed in that monster's entry.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 65

Do you lose Shield Bonus to AC if you lose Dex bonus? I could swear that you do, but can't find it anywhere

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

A 65

You don't. A shield bonus is not a DEX bonus. Losing the DEX bonus does not affect other bonuses to AC.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 65 Addendum

You don't. A shield bonus is not a DEX bonus. Losing the DEX bonus does not affect most other bonuses to AC.
    A condition that makes you lose your Dex bonus also makes you lose Dodge bonuses (SRD). Also, text for specific items override this general rule, if found (I can't recall anything specifically, though).

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q.066
    If one targets with Sword of Conscience (Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 109) an evil creature / undead / outsider that happens to also be cleric of an evil deity, does the target risk damage for its type, for being an evil cleric or do both damage stack ?
    Currently playing:
    - Dastrun "raging bulldozer" es Entragarth
    - Dolores the deceiver, beguiler of Queen Geleeda

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 67

If a creature is forced to make an attack roll during its turn, right before a second iterative attack (thus taking a -5 penalty to this second attack), does the penalty also apply to the attack not related to the full attack?

Example: A fighter readies his action to disarm after the first attack by the creature, thus provoking an AoO. Does the AoO take the -5 penalty? How about the opposed attack roll for the the disarm?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

A 67

No. Other attacks only get penalties if those are explicitly mentioned. AoOs even explicitly do not have that penalty:
    An experienced character gets additional regular melee attacks (by using the full attack action), but at a lower attack bonus. You make your attack of opportunity, however, at your normal attack bonus—even if you’ve already attacked in the round.
    Attack penalties of other characters are even less relevant.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 68

Do psionic items exist that give ability bonuses (like magic items, e.g. belt of giant strength)?
    My group uses all official 3.x material.

Our most game-changing house-rule:
    All fixed numerical bonuses to skill checks, saving throws, attack rolls, damage rolls, armor class, caster level checks, and spell DCs granted by feats and racial traits are doubled. This does not apply to bonuses granted by size category, nor to bonuses granted by class features, and neither to variable bonuses like the damage bonus from power attack.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 066 No.

Sword of Conscience damages an Evil creature according to the magnitude of its Evil, which is specified on the accompanying table. The spell does not stack with itself, so if an Evil Undead who is also a Cleric of an Evil deity is the target and they have 5 Cleric levels and 8 HD, you would roll the damage for Undead (1d8) and Cleric (2d6) and they would take the higher of these two rolled values as damage. Note that if the Undead Cleric of an Evil deity was not itself Evil (becoming Undead via Necropolitan template, for example) it would be an invalid target for Sword of Conscience and the spell would fail at casting.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 69

Does the command word to restore a shrunk item to its normal size require LoE?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 069 No.

There's no such stipulation for Shrink Item or command words in general; you need a standard action and sufficient vocal clarity for the item to "hear" the command word (audibility requirements are entirely at the discretion of your DM).

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

A 68 Yes

A dorje of animal affinity would be one example.

Okay, okay, non-smart-alecky answer: You can generally make psionic versions of items that are not traditionally psionic, provided that you have the equivalent psionic item crafting feat and a psionic power "of a similar flavor" to the normal spell prerequisite. (The example given is psionic teleport being used instead of teleport to craft a helm of teleportation.) So animal affinity, as the psionic equivalent to the bull's strength family, could reasonably allow you to craft your belt of giant strength (although as the rules here are only guidelines, you'll have to run it past your DM). If you were using the Psionics Is Different variant, the resulting items would be considered psionic, not magic. See Magic Item Compendium page 232, in the "Psionics and Crafting Magic Items" sidebar.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2015-06-15 at 02:40 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150

AssassinGuy

Q70: If a Beguiler uses a runestaff with spells not on his spell-list via Use Magic Device and fails the check, is the spell-slot expended or not? How about the x/day use of the runestaff?