New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Healing As A Druid In Pathfinder?

I'm working on a druid/monk build for a Kingmaker campaign, and since I will be the only divine caster in a large and arcane-heavy party, it's been very broadly hinted ("O gawd we need you for healing!!!") that I'll be handling a good deal of the healing.

I don't need to be reminded that this is not optimal; but having seen how this group plays, I know they're going to need me. Sadly it doesn't seem that druids can ever get easy access to channelling, so I need constructive advice on any other ways that I can contribute.

Are there any feats, spells, archetypes that could help with this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Healing As A Druid In Pathfinder?

A wand of cure light wounds should help cover most healing for pretty cheap. Goodberry is a good low level healing spell on the druid spell list.

As far as I know, druids don't have any archetypes that make them better healers. For something more dedicated to healing, you'll want a cleric, oracle, or shaman.

You have most of the good healing spells on your list, you'll just have to make sure to prepare them as you can't cast them spontaneously.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I was I this position in a 3.5 game. Playing a Druid, had build all planned out, then our cleric dropped out.

DM was giving everyone a regional feat at game start. They let me take spontaneous healer feat (if I put 4ranks into k owl edge religion, which they let me make an in-class skill), so that I could spontaneously convert spells to heals. Saves having to prepare heal spells.

I don't know if this can convert into a pathfinder game. But if DM recognizes that this is less than optimal, this might be an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    I was I this position in a 3.5 game. Playing a Druid, had build all planned out, then our cleric dropped out.

DM was giving everyone a regional feat at game start. They let me take spontaneous healer feat (if I put 4ranks into k owl edge religion, which they let me make an in-class skill), so that I could spontaneously convert spells to heals. Saves having to prepare heal spells.

I don't know if this can convert into a pathfinder game. But if DM recognizes that this is less than optimal, this might be an option.
    Reserve Feats and Regional Feats aren't a thing in Pathfinder. Really, your first few sessions the party is going to need to be a bit careful until you can scrounge up the 750 GP to buy a wand of cure light wounds. You can at least make due with the spells you do have, but it'll be tricky to do so and still be able to contribute much combat wise. Best bet, use your wolf and a greatclub to play flank and smash.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    A wand of cure light wounds should help cover most healing for pretty cheap. Goodberry is a good low level healing spell on the druid spell list.

As far as I know, druids don't have any archetypes that make them better healers. For something more dedicated to healing, you'll want a cleric, oracle, or shaman.

You have most of the good healing spells on your list, you'll just have to make sure to prepare them as you can't cast them spontaneously.
    This. You can function without any mass in combat healing. CLW wand+goodberry will cover you most of the time. Also, with a decent wisdom score, a healers kit and some ranks in heal you can use heal to treat deadly wounds(DC20) which heals hp equal to level, and if you get a 25 or better you add your wis score. So for downtime you can patch people up the old fashioned way as needed.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reserve Feats and Regional Feats aren't a thing in Pathfinder. Really, your first few sessions the party is going to need to be a bit careful until you can scrounge up the 750 GP to buy a wand of cure light wounds. You can at least make due with the spells you do have, but it'll be tricky to do so and still be able to contribute much combat wise. Best bet, use your wolf and a greatclub to play flank and smash.
    If you are allowed to take traits, I would recommend taking one of the following traits:

Reclaiming Your Roots: Allows you to start off with a wand containing a level 1 spell with 20 charges.
    Rich Parents: Allows your starting wealth to increase to 900gp. Which is enough to purchase a fully charged wand.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    If you are allowed to take traits, I would recommend taking one of the following traits:

Reclaiming Your Roots: Allows you to start off with a wand containing a level 1 spell with 20 charges.
    Rich Parents: Allows your starting wealth to increase to 900gp. Which is enough to purchase a fully charged wand.
    That first one is weird - do you suffer depression just by using the wand up?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not as long as you hang on to the worthless stick you have left over.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'd rather chuck it and take the year of depression that track that silliness on my character sheet!

(Well, unless it was my bonded item and I could recharge it/put a new spell in. Actually now that I think about it, that's a pretty neat trait for a Wizard 1, you start the game with 20 extra spells/day!)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    Do note that this is a Campaign Trait, and may not be allowed in all games.
    And even if it is allowed, Rich Parents will get you a Fully Charged Wand (50 charges) AND some extra leftover gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The actual flavor kinda clears things up.
    It's basically the last possession of one of your dead parents.
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2015-06-03 at 07:43 PM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    The actual flavor kinda clears things up.
    It's basically the last possession of one of your dead parents.
    No, I get the fluff, but wands are kinda made to be used up. It's nothing to get broken up over, especially if that wand saved your life - a very probable prospect as a 1st-level adventurer.

I just think mechanics that tell your character how he feels about something (unless they're mind-affecting) are odd/amusing.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

OH! Just realized VMC Cleric DOES get to Spontaneously convert Cure spells! And it can do it from level 1 as well.

Not sure if you want to lose out on half of your feats though.
    Choose your Domain wisely.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by grarrrg
    OH! Just realized VMC Cleric DOES get to Spontaneously convert Cure spells! And it can do it from level 1 as well.
    Glad you caught that, since I sailed right past it when I looked at the VMC cleric last night.

Spontaneous curing is tempting, but not enough to give up half of my precious feats, and the remaining VMC progression isn't that helpful. I wouldn't be able to fit channelling into my build for another couple of levels at least, and at -6 druid level it's a nonstarter. And I'm not at all interested in trading a feat for a domain.

So, looks like that's pretty much that. I might be able to talk my DM into porting over the Spontaneous Healing feat from Complete Divine, but other than that, it sounds as if there's not much else I can do.

Last edited by Palanan; 2015-06-03 at 08:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spontaneous curing is tempting, but not enough to give up half of my precious feats, and the remaining VMC progression isn't that helpful. I wouldn't be able to fit channelling into my build for another couple of levels at least, and at -6 druid level it's a nonstarter. And I'm not at all interested in trading a feat for a domain.
    I wouldn't write off the channeling immediately - after all, it does qualify you for Guided Hand regardless of potency, which could be useful.

The right domain is definitely worth two feats if you choose carefully.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. I'd looked at the domain option for druids and hadn't been impressed.

Any suggestions for other domains?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Any suggestions for other domains?
    Animal Domain, Feather subdomain for Domain powers and spells plus an animal companion and 1/2 your level to perception checks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    Animal Domain, Feather subdomain for Domain powers and spells plus an animal companion and 1/2 your level to perception checks.
    As a druid, I'd be getting an animal companion anyway, yes?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Not if you take a domain, no.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

I won't hurt to keep a few higher end healing spells prepped for emergencies, but druids aren't great healers compared to most other divine classes so your best bet will be to carry a bunch of wands around.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Ancient Guardian archetype can take the Healing domain (or it's subdomains), if you really want to.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Not if you take a domain, no.

Uh, guys?
    I thought we were talking about VMC-Cleric Domain not, strictly speaking, "Druid class option" domains.
    To see if VMC Cleric for the Spontaneous heals+channeling is worth the lost feats.

So you can still choose your DRUID Animal Companion/Domain, AND still get the "cleric domain".

VMC Cleric Domain is any one that your deity has access to. So we just need a Druid-acceptable deity, and see what domain options we have.
    [retired]

Oradin Guide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Why are you looking at Druid domains? If you are getting the domain from a VMC cleric, then the restriction is your chosen diety, not the Druid list. Plus, since you aren't getting the spells, you can also look through the list of Inquisitions, too.

Basically, you are trading two feats for two domain/inquisition powers. That's not a bad trade.
    Last edited by daryen; 2015-06-05 at 05:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

I second the VMC Cleric idea. Getting a Domain and an Animal Companion at once is pretty powerful. On top of that, the penalty to your effective Cleric level scales down as you level and can be greatly reduced with a Phylactery of Positive Channeling.

You could play a control wizard, with an offensive melee pet/flanking buddy who could also provide all the healing your party needs.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Summoning Positive Energy Elementals? By RAW the SNA elementals are not limited to the prime elements. They touch you for 1d4 healing every round and at the end, you kill them and they explode into 1d8 additional healing on area. Not very flavorful though. Maybe you can get spont. Summon Monster and summon healers from this list.