New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A Dearth of Flying Animal Companions?

Looking through the list of animal companions, I'm surprised how very few flying forms there are. "Bird" is the only flying option in the CRB, and the expanded list on the PRD only gives a handful of others--just the dire bat, pteranodon, vulture and roc.

Are there any other winged options that I'm missing? And are they even worth it? My tengu druid will be spending a lot of time in eagle form himself, and won't be mixing it up in melee, so I'm not sure if even having an animal companion is worth the hassle and effort.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: A Dearth of Flying Animal Companions?

Monstrous Mount gives you a griffon and hippogriff.

I'm a little confused by your question though. You want flying animals that aren't birds or dinosaurs (I know XKCD, same thing)... well, what else is there really?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

To be persnickety, a dire bat is a mammal.

But I may not have the best notion of how animal companions work in Pathfinder. The "bird" in the CRB is extremely generic--to the point of obscuring the tremendous differences between eagles and owls, which are literally as different as night and day.

I'd be open to some form of bird, but there don't seem to be any which are especially distinctive or useful--apart from the roc, and I'm not sure how that advances. I'd just as soon trade away the animal companion for something else, but the druid domains are especially meh.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    But I may not have the best notion of how animal companions work in Pathfinder. The "bird" in the CRB is extremely generic--to the point of obscuring the tremendous differences between eagles and owls, which are literally as different as night and day.

I'd be open to some form of bird, but there don't seem to be any which are especially distinctive or useful--apart from the roc, and I'm not sure how that advances. I'd just as soon trade away the animal companion for something else, but the druid domains are especially meh.
    In D&D combat how much do the differences really matter though? They've got wings, talons and a beak, and the size categories are pretty broad. Combat in this game is abstract, so one more broad brush shouldn't matter.

If you're looking for ornithological accuracy in D&D you're probably going to come away disappointed. Hell, they even dropped day/night cycles for monsters, reducing nocturnality to fluff.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Trade away your AC for the Eagle domain. It's got some useful stuff, god spells and you get a Hawk familiar right away.

Turn that hawk into an improved familiar and you're sitting pretty.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The PFSRD has the blackwisp egret, giant beetle, dimorphodon (a kind of Pterosaur), Quetzalcoatlus (a really big Pterosaur), trumpeter swan, and giant wasp
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired
    Trade away your AC for the Eagle domain. It's got some useful stuff, go[o]d spells and you get a Hawk familiar right away.
    Eagle domain is perfect, thank you. It works very nicely with my ranged focus and the general eagle theme I'd been considering.

I assume this would become a celestial hawk? Is there anything the celestial hawk brings above a regular hawk, which would justify spending a feat on?

Originally Posted by kopout
    The PFSRD has the blackwisp egret, giant beetle, dimorphodon (a kind of Pterosaur), Quetzalcoatlus (a really big Pterosaur), trumpeter swan, and giant wasp….
    Cool, thanks--somehow I managed to overlook those. The egret would be tempting if not for the Eagle domain.

Originally Posted by Psyren
    If you're looking for ornithological accuracy in D&D you're probably going to come away disappointed.
    Gawd, don't get me started.

I was just noticing that both the giant eagle and the giant vulture weigh 500 pounds, which is absurd. An eagle at the size they give would weigh 50-60 pounds at most. Even large birds are fragile featherweights; they couldn't fly otherwise.

As for a key distinction between eagles and owls, I suppose it's lumped together under Perception in Pathfinder--one change I'm not fond of, and it obscures the difference between the eagle's incredible sight and the owl's incredible hearing.

But the folks at Pathfinder, like those at Wizards, evidently don't get outside too much. "Disappointed" ain't in it.

Last edited by Palanan; 2015-06-04 at 11:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I guess I just don't see what wasting design time on that level of zoological granularity is supposed to achieve. The average player won't notice and the true bird-nerds out there will nitpick it to shreds even more if they try. It's like trying to come up with different stats for a leopard, jaguar and panther - what it adds is not worth the additional time it would take.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Not worth it for some players, perhaps. For those of us who know and care about what makes a species unique, it's a different story.

And certainly not a waste of time, not when the result enhances our enjoyment of the game.

10. - Top - End - #10

I would argue for most. And they can't cater to everyone, there just aren't enough hours in the day or pages at the printer.

Hell, they can't even get swordplay accurate, and that is far more central a concept to the game!

This is a drawback of just about every system out there; it's just endemic to the medium.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Not worth it for some players, perhaps. For those of us who know and care about what makes a species unique, it's a different story.

And certainly not a waste of time, not when the result enhances our enjoyment of the game.
    If it's that important to you, why not homebrew some specific animals, since you probably know a lot more than the designers anyway. The great thing about tabletop games is their flexibility, you can literally do whatever you want, even if it's not in the rules.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'm open to a word of advice on this part, as to whether it's worth spending a feat to acquire a celestial hawk.

Just looking at the basic celestial template, it looks as if a dash of energy resistance and a single smite are pretty much the only benefits. Is there anything else?

Originally Posted by Eldaran
    If it's that important to you, why not homebrew some specific animals, since you probably know a lot more than the designers anyway. The great thing about tabletop games is their flexibility, you can literally do whatever you want, even if it's not in the rules.
    Yup, I've been working on that.