New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: The most paranoia-inducing dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Enemy corpses disappear the instant no one is observing them, even if everyone just blinks at the same time. The bloodstains they left don't disappear. Sometimes there are drag-marks that lead to the nearest flat wall.
    Oh, I like the drag marks to the nearest wall. That is a nice touch.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    What, they don't try to loot it?
    I mean, they tried the first time.
    When they identified it, they had the wizard - with abysmal strength - try it on its highest setting. he got knocked flat on his back, as per the rules, and it only got worse from there.

To make a long story short, not only did they almost die, but they had to abandon much of the other loot, and put a nearby village in very real danger before they managed to stop it. They consider the things death machines now, and refuse to have anything to do with them, on any setting.

Anyway, why stick to corpses? Maybe a creature runs from them, turns a corner, and disappears - simply leaving behind the same bloodstain mentioned before.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Not sure if this was mentioned. Last time we played, the floor the party was in was tiled with different colours. During the big fight in the room the party went out of their way to make sure they didn't touch any other coloured tiles. There was nothing special about the tiles

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Have an ancient tomb, but all of the booby traps have fallen apart from centuries of neglect. Make sure the players know this, with pressure plates that are stuck in place, trip wires rusted or rotted through, etc. Then have one or two highly visible traps in pristine condition, right before a room filled with treasure.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    I mean, they tried the first time.
    When they identified it, they had the wizard - with abysmal strength - try it on its highest setting. he got knocked flat on his back, as per the rules, and it only got worse from there.

To make a long story short, not only did they almost die, but they had to abandon much of the other loot, and put a nearby village in very real danger before they managed to stop it. They consider the things death machines now, and refuse to have anything to do with them, on any setting.
    Really? Don't they top out at 30 gallons per minute? That's only 4.01 cubic feet per minute. That's like a creek 4 feet wide and 6 inches deep moving at 2 feet per minute or about 1 inch every 2 seconds. A 10'x10' room would be 1 foot deep after about 25 minutes. Hardly the sort of thing that will threaten to fill a dungeon, let alone a village...

Regarding the Glass Walkway, a hole would be easily visible. The refraction at the corners would make it easy to see. If you rounded the edge to try to avoid that, you'd get light reflecting back at you. Making the whole thing out of permanent Walls of Force is an option, but Detect magic will show them.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Really? Don't they top out at 30 gallons per minute?
    Actually, it's 30 gallons per round.

An easy mistake to make, but one that makes a huge difference.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

... that's DandDwiki...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As you enter the cavern you see "Beware the tomb of Gai G'x" scrawled in blood above a stone doorway. The blood is glistening, still fresh. There are no other bloodstains or signs of what could have written it. What do you do?
    Last edited by DCraw; 2015-12-09 at 03:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249

... that's DandDwiki...
    Sorry, still not used to the etiquette on sources.
    In any case, I checked my DMG to make sure; my copy says 30 gallons per round.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Oh, even the DMG book says per round?

Since one round is 6 seconds, and one minute is 60 seconds, leading to 10 rounds in one round...

The Decanter creates 300 gallons of water per minute!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Which is still pretty slow as far as flooding a dungeon. Now it takes 2.5 minutes to raise the water level in a 10'x10' room one foot. So you can fill one 10' cube in 25 minutes, which is 250 rounds. I bet you can do a lot in 250 rounds. If your dungeon has 100 of those 10x10 squares, then after 1 hour, the water will be about 3 inches high. And 10,000 square feet is a pretty small dungeon. This all depends on your dungeon layout, of course.

Above ground, however, that's still a pretty small creek. That's 0.6684 cubic feet per second (40 cf/min). With our previous 4' x 6" creek, that's still an average current speed of 4 inches per second.

But I'm a math geek. I like digging this far into stuff. Your game may vary.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #252

Which is still pretty slow as far as flooding a dungeon. Now it takes 2.5 minutes to raise the water level in a 10'x10' room one foot. So you can fill one 10' cube in 25 minutes, which is 250 rounds. I bet you can do a lot in 250 rounds. If your dungeon has 100 of those 10x10 squares, then after 1 hour, the water will be about 3 inches high. And 10,000 square feet is a pretty small dungeon. This all depends on your dungeon layout, of course.

Above ground, however, that's still a pretty small creek. That's 0.6684 cubic feet per second (40 cf/min). With our previous 4' x 6" creek, that's still an average current speed of 4 inches per second.

But I'm a math geek. I like digging this far into stuff. Your game may vary.
    No, I spent a lot of time figuring this out. I wasn't happy that my players made me do it mid-session, but meh; it was entertaining in the end.

Spoiler: Here's the full story
    Show
    So, there's this village under the shadow of a great mountain. Once it was a prosperous city, flourishing with trade goods under the watchful eye of a great leader, who had hired a group of dwarves to carve out a lavish home/fort for him in the mountain. For the better part of a century the village went on, growing richer and richer, until one day the leader died (he could've turned immortal any number of ways, but he felt he deserved rest in the afterlife.) Without the leader, the village slowly crumbled. Out of reverence, they left his great hall empty - over time this reverence turned to superstitions about the old castle in the mountain. These superstitions only grew stronger once a necromancer made his home there, unbeknownst to the townsfolk - though they could hear suspicious activity coming from it.

Cue the low-level party looking for loot. They head on in once hearing of the rumors, and have the options of going up or down. They choose down, toward the "well"; a decanter at the very bottom of the fort (so as to prevent water damage, and make for easy drainage in the event of an accident.) They find the decanter, read the instructions on the pedestal, and try it out. As mentioned earlier, the Wizard was knocked flat on his back, at which point I ask how he's holding it; whether it was pointed at anyone in particular. They then think this device can somehow kill them, and the (quite small) well is quite wet and filling fairly quickly. So, do they speak the command word? Do they pull the lever that activated the draining system? Nope; they drop it and run up the stairs, apparently not quite understanding the nature of the artifact since they thought it would eventually run out. So, they continue with the rest of the dungeon, kill the necromancer, and head back down to find that the first few floors had flooded (whenever we weren't in combat or something similar, I used actual time to estimate in-game time).

So they head to the top floor, and start making a plan. After quite some time, they blew a hole in the wall, and tried climbing down. Most of them botched their rolls and took rather nasty falling damage, so they still decided to ignore the problem and rest in the inn for a night. It was only the following morning, when they noticed the new waterfall at the very top of the mountain, that they decided to stop the problem before the mountain face weakened enough to crumble. After spending a lot of time digging a trench and walls around the village, they drove stakes into the mountain, tied themselves to the stakes, and opened the door to start lowering the water level. After a fair while, they trenches and walls held up, and the fort was drained enough for them to enter. They had the muscle swim down, grab the decanter, and take it back up to have it turned off.

They then buried it underground and never looked back.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, players. Never put anything past them!

Thanks for sharing!

14. - Top - End - #254

Ah, players. Never put anything past them!

Thanks for sharing!
    No problem!

Anyway, back on track; the players enter what used to be a well-used structure, and find all of rooms have just a few too many torches in them - all burnt out, of course, but it looks like the inhabitants took incredible care in making sure there were no shadowed corners anywhere.
    Of course, now it's all in utter darkness.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Anyway, back on track; the players enter what used to be a well-used structure, and find all of rooms have just a few too many torches in them - all burnt out, of course, but it looks like the inhabitants took incredible care in making sure there were no shadowed corners anywhere.
    Of course, now it's all in utter darkness.
    Optional: Have the players face a number of zombies, giant spiders, and skeleton archers.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

The hallways are empty and silent apart from one room.

On a throne in the middle of a huge mosaic is a single zombie quietly sobbing.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tohron View Post
    Optional: Have the players face a number of zombies, giant spiders, and skeleton archers.
    Bonus points if you add enemies that explode...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

If the PCs toss fireballs and poison arrows at the sobbing zombie, do they take an alignment hit?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

If the PCs toss fireballs and poison arrows at the sobbing zombie, do they take an alignment hit?
    Just one more thing for them to be paranoid about.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If the players stuff the sobbing zombie in a bag of holding for later use, will they take an alignment hit?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

This works from personal experience:

Put a powerful piece of ranged siege weaponry down a very long, very narrow, and very dark hallway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    This works from personal experience:

Put a powerful piece of ranged siege weaponry down a very long, very narrow, and very dark hallway.
    Add in health potions and consumable weapons to taste!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

From a different thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mask View Post
    Things I need to do: Have an NPC warn the party that one of them is a traitor. None of them is actually a traitor.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

Long, unremarkable hallways. Maybe lit by a few torches. Nothing else. No doors, no windows, no monsters, not even mold. Nothing. If that doesn't scare the living hell out of your players, you're doing something wrong.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

For my group, the main thing that sets them on edge is being too polite, or anything described as your typical loot chest. At least one member of any given party has SOME means of lighting stuff on fire from range, specifically to fight Mimics. The sad part is, we've only ever encountered roughly 3 or 4 of them in the entire time we've been gaming together, 10+ years...
    Elxir Breauer, at your service...

26. - Top - End - #266

BlueWizardGirl

Generate-as-they-go Dungeons, especially if you roll dice instead of using a dice roller.

BONUS: Encounters (including traps) appear on a 5-10 minute delay, and only when no on is observing the room.

27. - Top - End - #267

BardGuy

In the first room with a trap, show ghosts of former adventurers being killed by a trap, replaying in a loop. Then in random rooms, put ghosts of other dead adventurers... which may or may not have been killed by traps in that room.
    Last edited by LnGrrrR; 2016-01-11 at 07:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Firbolg in the Playground

My low-level group and I were exploring an ancient underground temple we unearthed. After a while, we found the entrance to the second sub-level, which was a fissure in the floor with a drop below. Climbing down, our torchlight immediately illuminated a big, scaly face with angry eyes and lots of teeth.

We all stood frozen like deer in the headlights, waiting for it all to end, but the face didn't move. It wasn't a dragon. It was a bronze statue of a dragon, painted in an extremely lifelike fashion.

29. - Top - End - #269

BlueWizardGirl

A room filled to 1/2 foot deep with humanoid teeth. Anyone who walks through them discovers bruises shaped like bite marks on their bodies (even in places the teeth didn't come in contact with) after the next time they sleep.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

Traps that do something positive for the pc but they disabled it thinking it was harmful.