New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Enlighten me.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

confused Enlighten me.

Hello out there. This question is directed primarily for all those DnDrs lurking on this board, since the Oots is based loosely off of DnD rules. (Yes, I know the exceptions, the made-up spells and classes, that sort of thing.)

I've never played DnD, so what I'm wondering is that would it possible for Roy to learn a new class level while he's in his ghost form? For example, if he goes to wherever it is good guys go when they die in DnD world, could someone there teach him a technique or class that he could concievably use when (if?) resurrected?

Furthermore, what are the qualifications for multi-leveling? Are there only a set number of levels you can master? I ask this because as of now, it seems obvious that Roy should pick up SOME magical ability if he hopes to stand a chance against Xykon when (If?) he ever gets the chance to fight him again. So would there be some sort of warrior+mage combination out there?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerftDead View Post
    I've never played DnD, so what I'm wondering is that would it possible for Roy to learn a new class level while he's in his ghost form? For example, if he goes to wherever it is good guys go when they die in DnD world, could someone there teach him a technique or class that he could concievably use when (if?) resurrected?
    It's possible, but it depends on several things. First off, whether or not the DM (that is, the person in charge- in this case, Rich Burlew) is allowing the character to continue gaining XP in the afterlife. In many campaigns, when a character dies, they're simply off being a spirit in the heavenly planes, not adventuring and gaining XP and such. Assuming that he IS able to gain XP while dead, he could level up however he wants- but levelling generally takes time, so unless he's dead for a few weeks or something, he probably won't have the time to learn much in the afterlife.

Once he's resurrected, of course, he'll have the XP from before he died (assuming they overcame the challenges of the war), so he could always begin levelling then. Though death usually causes you to lose a level.

Furthermore, what are the qualifications for multi-leveling? Are there only a set number of levels you can master? I ask this because as of now, it seems obvious that Roy should pick up SOME magical ability if he hopes to stand a chance against Xykon when (If?) he ever gets the chance to fight him again. So would there be some sort of warrior+mage combination out there?
    There are rules on multiclassing (that is, taking on levels of another class in addition to the abilities you already have), but in this case I don't think they'd help Roy out right now. True, he's not too effective against Xykon, but if he took a level of a spellcasting class, he'd have all of the power he has now, plus the abilities of a first-level mage. Nothing a first-level mage can offer will have much effect on Xykon, so he's probably better off just continuing to advance as a Fighter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Technically, Roy will lose Xp when he is Raised or Resurrected. Thus, he will actually effectively lose a level compared to when he died, and this would prevent any level gain.

But, DM's are free to do differently, if they feel it is appropriate. Me, I feel Roy died in a very glorious and plot-driven style. This was, if anything, a HUGE experience for him. I would not be punishing him with level loss, but that's not Rules As Written (RAW).

All Roy could do is pick up the lowest levels of some other class, and those level 1 and 2 spells will bounce off Xykon like he was a brick wall. Wasting levels on low level abilities won't help Roy defeat X.

For the technical answer, every time Roy levels, he can choose any class to level in, or any Prestige Class for which he meets the prerequisites. When Roy levels he chooses any class he wants to train in (remember Elan thinking about taking a Wizard level?), with only some restrictions on a couple classes (Paladins and Monks) which you don't really need to know about.

For most classes, the higher level they are, the more power they gain, but for a PC built only on the PHB, DMB, and MM, Fighters don't really do that. They broaden their abilities, but don't seriously gain power through levelling. (The fighter is front-end loaded. This means it has more power at the lower levels than at the higher levels. that's why Thog called taking more than 2 fighter levels dumb, but most hitter builds I see take 4 levels for Weapon Spec, jsut as Roy suggests, but going beyond 4 levels is often seen as a suspect choice.) If you add the PHB2 into the mix, that changes since the PHB2 adds a feat path for improving weapon skills, but I do't see evidence that the Giant will step past the three core books for the main characters so the PHB2 is probably off-limits to the OotS. So, you're right in the sense that Roy at some point should be looking to a Prestige Class or other Core class for more power, but heading towards a casting class just isn't going to have the effect you're looking for.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

If Roy wanted to alter his basic class structure to become more of a challenge against Xykon, none of the normal classes would be worth taking a level or two in. If he did want a change, his best bet would be a prestige class, preferably a custom one like Elan's Dashing Swordsman, as they have the possibility to give substantial boosts to ability with only a few levels. I dont think that will happen though, as the event already did happen with Elan. One possibility on this subject is that the DM (The Giant) might arrange an event that instead of giving Roy a prestige class to take a couple of levels in, replaced all his current fighter levels with levels in a custom or non-custom prestige class. This technically breaks a lot of rules, but i've seen DM's do it before in games if the player really wants the change and cant afford the less effective multiclassing method. This particular scenario is plausible (if unlikely) here, because Roy might figure that as a fighter, he can't hope to take on Xykon and win, even if he gains more levels. A custom class that is a kind of anti-spellcaster fighter, with base fighter attributes and some special abilities that are designed to defeat mages would be ideal.

Just a thought
    The Gods work in mysterious ways. Like a healing shiv.

Thog kill. Thog like puppies. Thog full of amusing contradictions.

Proud member of NO FREAKING FANCLUBS

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Well Roy is 7 to 8 levels below Xykon. On top of which he seems poorly equiped for his level, with exception of his sword. I think the idea is that any party member that went against Xykon alone should have been killed, so it's not the fault of Roy being a fighter in this case. Still, Prestige classes are helpful for fighters once they reach Roy's level, moreso then for bards.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thank you for the detailed answers everyone. I probably should play Dnd one of these days...Just to see what it's like.

In this case, what would be the best "Prestige" class to take out Xykon? Something holy? Something that negates Xykon's magic?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerftDead View Post
    Thank you for the detailed answers everyone. I probably should play Dnd one of these days...Just to see what it's like.

In this case, what would be the best "Prestige" class to take out Xykon? Something holy? Something that negates Xykon's magic?
    Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. It's description text should read "You can't kill me. Neener neener neener."

There's a book called Ghostwalk that introduces a class for dead people, called the Eidolon. Basically, someone dies, then they start taking class levels in Eidolon to boost their ghost powers. I kinda doubt the giant's gonna start whipping out Ghostwalk stuff on us, though. He's mainly stuck to the core game so far.
    Spell it with me now: X-Y-K-O-N
    "AAAARRGGHH!!!"
    SPLAT!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Assassinfox View Post
    I kinda doubt the giant's gonna start whipping out Ghostwalk stuff on us, though. He's mainly stuck to the core game so far.
    He may not legally be able to. That stuff hasn't been released to the srd.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaGabe View Post
    True, he's not too effective against Xykon, but if he took a level of a spellcasting class, he'd have all of the power he has now, plus the abilities of a first-level mage. Nothing a first-level mage can offer will have much effect on Xykon, so he's probably better off just continuing to advance as a Fighter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, but I can definitely imagine Eugene chiming in "What, you couldn't at least have multiclassed, learned a few useful spells like, oh, maybe Feather Fall?" during their next chat....

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechafox View Post
    He may not legally be able to. That stuff hasn't been released to the srd.
    Neither has the Death Knight, Huecuva, or Eye of Fear and Flame.
    Spell it with me now: X-Y-K-O-N
    "AAAARRGGHH!!!"
    SPLAT!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaGabe View Post
    There are rules on multiclassing (that is, taking on levels of another class in addition to the abilities you already have), but in this case I don't think they'd help Roy out right now. True, he's not too effective against Xykon, but if he took a level of a spellcasting class, he'd have all of the power he has now, plus the abilities of a first-level mage. Nothing a first-level mage can offer will have much effect on Xykon, so he's probably better off just continuing to advance as a Fighter.
    Ah, I knew there was one advantage to 2nd ed dual classing. You leveled up really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassinfox View Post
    Neither has the Death Knight, Huecuva, or Eye of Fear and Flame.
    Or Mindflayer or Beholder. If he can make a joke about lawers arresting him he's not scared of angering them on a few very minor points.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.