New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: DM tried to have my Fighter "Fall"

I love this. Your class does not automatically determine who you are or how you act. Fighters can be LG and devout to a deity. So can bards, rogues, wizards, and just about every other class sans druid. Likewise, your class and skill set does not de facto determine your day job.

Bravo for roleplaying your character, and hopefully enlightening your DM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    The "inherently" aspect is unexpected given your example. You must be using different goblins than I. That would also explain anti-ninja's reaction (since your goblins are as abnormal as my devils).
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Yep, that's definitely Chaotic Evil. A greedy merchant or a corrupt minister might be considered Evil, but their crimes (if any) hardly justify execution. Children of any race definitely don't. A CG act would have been to turn them over to an orphanage so they could be raised Good, or taking care of them yourself, or finding a goblin tribe that was already at least neutral.
    That is deliberately why I mentioned that they were pinging evil. It suggests that they are inherently evil rather than being taught (nature rather than nurture). If they were neutral and there was anything to suggest that not every single goblinoid in the world was evil then I would totally agree.

I'm absolutely willing to accept that it's an unpopular stance though.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

That is deliberately why I mentioned that they were pinging evil. It suggests that they are inherently evil rather than being taught (nature rather than nurture). If they were neutral and there was anything to suggest that not every single goblinoid in the world was evil then I would totally agree.
    unless your dm hombrewed it like that I believe just tells a)if there evil and b)if there is a stronger aura like a cleric of an evil god or an evil outsider,but that merchant who steals fro his employes and blackmails anyone who finds out he just pinged still ,and there goes your great axe into his heart.but I think its best to agree to disagree

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    It doesn't matter if every single goblin in the world is evil. There was a succubus paladin - and she started out as not only Evil but [Evil]. You can raise a measly goblin as a Good creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

It doesn't matter if every single goblin in the world is evil. There was a succubus paladin - and she started out as not only Evil but [Evil]. You can raise a measly goblin as a Good creature.
    exactly ,besides goblins are not evil outsiders so they are not [Evil]and therefore killing them for being goblins is not a CG act,much less a capital G good act.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by anti-ninja View Post
    exactly ,besides goblins are not evil outsiders so they are not [Evil]and therefore killing them for being goblins is not a CG act,much less a capital G good act.
    Honestly, if the DM tells me that goblins are born evil and are incapable of being good, im inclined to take them at their word. Now maybe that particular DM didn't think their implications through all the way, but I have no trouble accepting always-evil to mean ALWAYS evil in non-outsiders if its part of the setting.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Honestly, if the DM tells me that goblins are born evil and are incapable of being good, im inclined to take them at their word. Now maybe that particular DM didn't think their implications through all the way, but I have no trouble accepting always-evil to mean ALWAYS evil in non-outsiders if its part of the setting.
    Thank you. The fact a single succubus was redeemed in a setting that has nothing to do with my DM's means nothing. As far as I have any reason to believe, goblinoids are not redeemable at all.

EDIT: Something interesting I came across:

I am not sure how this will play with the offical settings, but I just started reading Night of the Hunter: Companions Codex, I by R A Salvatore, that is taking aprt int he new realms, and one of the characters who can almost be considered a choosen of Mielikki stated she was advised by her goddess that the various goblinkin and orcs are different then the 'good' races, and by large should be removed.

This was pretty shocking to me, as I do not like the moral absolutism that brings and is a bit of a strike to me against the Forgotten Realms setting. Stating the the race and culture is pure evil and the drow are even redemable as a whole, but the goblinkin are not. The goblinkin are created to destroy, nothing more, to be a blight on the land. As told by Mielikki they are a scourge and challenge to those who would serve goodly purpose. They are not people, but monsters, full goblinkin do not have a conscience. Raising a lion would be safer then raising a goblin child.

This was from around page 45 in the novel.

It is good aligned to be a murder hobo against goblinoids, burning there villages and wiping them out. It makes what happened with Redcloak and his goblins in Order of the Stick seem a reflection of the offical settings.
    So there's a least a sprinkling of support within WOTC materials that goblinoid genocide is a good act.
    Last edited by ComaVision; 2015-06-08 at 05:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

yes but theirs also WOTC materiel like BoED's mercy rules which make it nearly impossible for a good character to kill a bad guy if he is willy willy sowy.But killing goblins is not what i really care about (though I still don't like the implications of killing goblins cause there goblins),its killing Joe the corrupt merchant for pinging evil that makes me think your character is CE .

9. - Top - End - #69

yes but theirs also WOTC materiel like BoED's mercy rules which make it nearly impossible for a good character to kill a bad guy if he is willy willy sowy.But killing goblins is not what i really care about (though I still don't like the implications of killing goblins cause there goblins),its killing Joe the corrupt merchant for pinging evil that makes me think your character is CE .
    Just for the record, none of our combatants has made a last minute plea so far.

I would kill Joe the corrupt merchant but apparently he doesn't exist. Like, I've literally not come across one person in the capital or any other town that pings evil. I think since the DM is quite new that he has really polarized alignments. I think that if I come across someone that's evil they're probably actually EVIL, which would justify it in the setting.
    Last edited by ComaVision; 2015-06-08 at 05:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

its killing Joe the corrupt merchant for pinging evil that makes me think your character is CE .
    Exactly. A creature being evil does not give you a license to kill it nor does it make the killing a non-evil act.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Just for the record, none of our combatants has made a last minute plea so far.

I would kill Joe the corrupt merchant but apparently he doesn't exist. Like, I've literally not come across one person in the capital or any other town that pings evil. I think since the DM is quite new that he has really polarized alignments. I think that if I come across someone that's evil they're probably actually EVIL, which would justify it in the setting.
    either that or since you've made it clear that you'll genocide anything that pings on your detect Evil radar, he's not having it come up much to prevent headaches for the game.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

@ComaVision

Judging by the fact that you think "mook races" cannot be redeemed and you've never had a enemy surrender. It sounds like you and your group play hack and slash games. It's not a bad way of playing but I for one just don't enjoy that kind of play-style.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I would kill Joe the corrupt merchant
    and that is why in my eyes you're CE Joe stole and blackmailed but never killed raped or anything like that,while you have admitted to being genocidal .

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    either that or since you've made it clear that you'll genocide anything that pings on your detect Evil radar, he's not having it come up much to prevent headaches for the game.
    Same result

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    @ComaVision

Judging by the fact that you think "mook races" cannot be redeemed and you've never had a enemy surrender. It sounds like you and your group play hack and slash games. It's not a bad way of playing but I for one just don't enjoy that kind of play-style.
    That's a valid assessment. While we're only about four sessions in to this campaign I don't think we've collectively ever had a session without any combat. One of our players has a really poor memory and while he has an OK enough grasp on combat, non-combat encounters basically mean he isn't playing. I'm certain he wouldn't be able to recount the events of our session yesterday with much accuracy.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

and that is why in my eyes you're CE Joe stole and blackmailed but never killed raped or anything like that,while you have admitted to being genocidal .
    Genocidal? Which ethnic group is he trying to exterminate again?

Also, you keep trying to apply real-world morality to D&D. In the real world, good and evil are moral concepts. In D&D, they are literal forces of the universe. You can even have beings literally made of Evil. I'm not sure you can apply the same broad brush strokes.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm absolutely willing to accept that it's an unpopular stance though.
    I see. You are playing with irredeemable goblins. This species is not common although it is about as common as the redeemable devils species I play with.

Strange how a simple species replacement can drastically alter the alignments of characters.
    :)
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-06-08 at 06:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post

Also, you keep trying to apply real-world morality to D&D. In the real world, good and evil are moral concepts. In D&D, they are literal forces of the universe. You can even have beings literally made of Evil. I'm not sure you can apply the same broad brush strokes.
    Agreed.

I admitted no such thing.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Fair enough I probably went to far with that statement and for that I apologize.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

well, genocide is Good in D&D. this guy sounds like he's playing LG to the hilt (pardon the pun) or at least, LG as written by RAW

Quote Originally Posted by savage species
    Many monstrous beings are
    not tolerated by the surrounding community and must keep
    their existence secret. Evil communities may tolerate the presence
    of monsters that other communities would not, but
    neutral and good communities are liable to drive away
    monsters and those who would associate with them
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

The problem I find that people too often equate the two. If Evil and Good are physical forces, it doesn't make sense to apply morality to them. So the fact you ping evil doesn't mean you're a bad person, just that you naturally posses more of that Evil energy. You might be Evil because you reanimate a lot of undead, and the Evil energy from the spell has been rubbing off, but that doesn't mean you're evil if you have your skeletons help rebuild a town.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

well, genocide is Good in D&D. this guy sounds like he's playing LG to the hilt (pardon the pun) or at least, LG as written by RAW
    Well he was saying that his character was CG,also I dont think something as subjective as alignment can be determined by raw unless WoTC literally published a list of all possible actions an alignment could and all reactions they could have.I would still like to know why Joe the theoretical merchant would be considered deserving of death by a CG character,but it sounds like his game is more hack &slash so to each there own I guess.

22. - Top - End - #82

Well he was saying that his character was CG,also I dont think something as subjective as alignment can be determined by raw unless WoTC literally published a list of all possible actions an alignment could and all reactions they could have.I would still like to know why Joe the theoretical merchant would be considered deserving of death by a CG character,but it sounds like his game is more hack &slash so to each there own I guess.
    Who decides what acts are worth the death penalty and which aren't? Seems pretty subjective to me. Hell, maybe he doesn't get an evil alignment until he's cheating people and also peddling child slaves on the side.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Who decides what acts are worth the death penalty and which aren't? Seems pretty subjective to me. Hell, maybe he doesn't get an evil alignment until he's cheating people and also peddling child slaves on the side.
    while it is subjective,I just can't see killing everything that pings as good action at best CN one.side note gutting that merchant in the town square is also probably not the smartest thing to ,assuming that not everyone knows about his actions its a good way to make you look like a psychopath.
    Last edited by anti-ninja; 2015-06-08 at 07:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

while it is subjective,I just can't see killing everything that pings as good action at best CN one.side note gutting that merchant in the town square is also probably not the smartest thing to ,assuming that not everyone knows about his actions its a good way to make you look like a psychopath.
    Again, it depends on how the setting handles it. If goblins were created to be slave-warriors to the evil gods who are trying to overthrow the minions of the good and neutral gods, and are under a form of magical domination that compels them to be evil, then yeah, treating them as universally evil is not unreasonable.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I meant comavision, since he said he actively went around genociding everyone, sorry if that was unclear. I don't mean to say "ACTUALLY, comavision, you should change your alignment because I say so, without ever having seen your character" I was just participating in the conversation that alignment is broken.

I don't care what he or anyone puts on their sheet, alignment's only there to determine what version of blasphemy hurts you

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I meant comavision, since he said he actively went around genociding everyone, sorry if that was unclear. I don't mean to say "ACTUALLY, comavision, you should change your alignment because I say so, without ever having seen your character" I was just participating in the conversation that alignment is broken.
    Now I'm confused.
    I don't care what he or anyone puts on their sheet, alignment's only there to determine what version of blasphemy hurts you
    I agree with this. At best, it's an extremely loose guideline.

27. - Top - End - #87

Who decides what acts are worth the death penalty and which aren't?
    Apparently you do.
    Currently Playing:
    -

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles View Post
    Apparently you do.
    Yeah man.

My point was that my opinion is just as valid as another. Maybe not as valid as my DM's but we seem to have an understanding.

inb4 I fall next game

29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    The problem I find that people too often equate the two. If Evil and Good are physical forces, it doesn't make sense to apply morality to them. So the fact you ping evil doesn't mean you're a bad person, just that you naturally posses more of that Evil energy. You might be Evil because you reanimate a lot of undead, and the Evil energy from the spell has been rubbing off, but that doesn't mean you're evil if you have your skeletons help rebuild a town.
    And his character pings 'Good' for killing said necromancer because he removed a source of Evil energy, regardless of real-life morality.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ettina View Post
    And his character pings 'Good' for killing said necromancer because he removed a source of Evil energy, regardless of real-life morality.
    No need to preface that with "real-life" since that view of Good and Evil also separates Good and Evil from in-game morality(usually denoted as good and evil when these RAW derails occur).
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2015-06-08 at 08:39 PM.