New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Whodunnit? I haven't a (Let's Play) Clue...

I've asked you here to play a game. Would you like to play a game?

I hope that you will. I do so enjoy these little past-times of ours.

Hmm? Oh. Yes. I do believe that there has been a misunderstanding. This is a game for you to play. I will not be participating. It would be rather difficult for me-- what with my being dead and all.

Make no mistake about it. I am dead as a doornail. In fact, I think I hear the rigor mortis hardening my arteries right this very moment.

That's the game, you see.

One of you has killed me.

Let's see if you can figure out who.

There are many possibilities in this game and many different scenarios.

There are many different suspects to consider.

And, of course, many different ways for a poor corpse to end up dead.

Some are more pleasant than others.

Do you feel up to the task? Can you win the game? There's only one way to find out.

But, first, let's all go around and introduce ourselves. My name is Mr. Boddy, your, aherm, dead body in residence. Your name...?

And how smart would you like your fellow gamers to be?

Spoiler: What Is This?
    Show

Clue for the SNES, released in 1992.

Clue's been released as a video game a handful of times over the years. This version is actually pretty spiffy with lots of graphical flair and... honestly, some loving charm. This was one of the few games I owned growing up, so I'd like to show it off. And what better way to do that than to pit the Playground Collective Intelligence against a two decade old AI?

Everyone gets one vote for which pawn to be: Scarlet, Mustard, White, Green, Peacock or Plum.

While your at it, vote for what level you want the AI to be: Amateur, Gumshoe, Sleuth, P.I. or Detective.

Just be forewarned: 'Amateur' give the AI a goldfish memory. 'Detective' will turn the AI into an international chess champion.

Voting ends on Wednesday with an update on Thursday.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2015-06-07 at 03:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Whodunnit? I haven't a (Let's Play) Clue...

We have to be Col Mustard, obviously. Otherwise he'll be the prime suspect in every case. B|

(Also, set the AI to Sleuth, for a solid middleground.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with Sleuth, but isn't it obvious that we're Professor Plum? We have such a professorial air.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I agree with Sleuth, but isn't it obvious that we're Professor Plum? We have such a professorial air.
    I agree with the LP Queen on both counts. How can we not be Prof. Plum? We could make bad Christopher Lloyd jokes all LP!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

d6 Re: Whodunnit? I haven't a (Let's Play) Clue...

(Have some title screen music. It's actually pretty catchy and I still hum this whenever someone mentions 'Clue'.)

"Salutations, everyone. I am the esteemed Professor Peter Plum. Might I inquire as to whose company I am sharing this evening?"

"Col. Michael Mustard of the Fighting Tigers. I take it you're one of those academic stiffs? Good to know that I can't rely on you in a fight. Don't worry. When the time comes I'll knock that scheming murderer flat on his buttocks for you; that way you won't have to get your pristine little academic hands dirty."

"Now, dears, that was hardly sporting or proper. Please mind your manners. Oh, I think I've quite forgotten mine. I really should have introduced myself first. I am Mrs. Elizabeth Peacock. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Hmm? Oh, yes, er... Charmed, I'm sure."

"Mrs. Blanche White. Mr. Boddy is dead, and my employment went with him. So you can get your own coffee from here on out."

"I, er, I understand. Fret not, my dear. I have doubts that any of us would even consider caffeine consumption underneath this particular set of circumstances."

"Lousy domestic servants don't know their place... why I oughta..."

"What was that, dear?"

"Absolutely nothing of consequence. You old bag."

If your host may interrupt this delightful exchange. Each of you will begin at a different corner of the mansion. I have taken the liberty of providing each of you with a certain amount of equal evidence. This evidence shows how I did NOT meet my grizzly demise.

As I have already said, the goal of this game is to determine who killed me, where I died, and how I died. To do this you will have to ferret out the last man standing. If you can determine who this evidence does not clear, then you will have your murderer. Propose scenarios. If an individual is able to disprove an aspect of that scenario using the evidence provided then they must do so.

And don't even think of lying. No, not even as a joke. I'm a dead man. I have no sense of humor and I have no longer have any tolerance for cheaters.

Oh, yes, one more little detail...

You can only propose a scenario when you are within the four walls of a mansion room.

Well, that's enough of my rambling. You may start now. Have fun!

Spoiler: Interface Explanation
    Show

It's pretty bog-standard, but in the interest of thoroughness...

Roll: You roll your dice, you move your mice. You hold down one of the face buttons to start shaking the die and release to throw. There's a somewhat phoned in animation here of a digitized hand moving in a precise circle to shake the dice and then open fingers to signal a throw.

Interrogation: This is a feature unique to the video games. If you interrogate, then you can propose a scenario from anywhere-- even the hallway. This proposal can be for anyone, with any weapon, and any room. The catch is that you only get two interrogations per game. This is mostly a fail-safe option so that you can check your theory for mistakes before you actually accuse someone.

Accusation: Accuse someone of being the murderer. You have to know who killed Mr. Boddy, with what weapon and where the murder took place. Get any one of those wrong and its game over.

Cards: It will show you the cards in your possession, but NOT those that you have collected over the game. You have to keep that information on your own. Don't worry, though, starting next post I'll keep all the information we've collected in a spoiler tag.

"Well, let's get this over with. The sooner I find out who killed my old boss I can go get a new boss... and get away from these creeps."

"Oh, dear. Is it proper to run to my destination under these circumstances? I honestly don't know-- and I would hate to be rude. But I would also hate to be left behind and unable to properly play the game."

"I hardly find this to be a matter of speed and skill. No. This is a battle of wits. Take your time and think things through logically, Plum, and the pudding will be yours!"

"Did I really just say that out loud?"

Spoiler: Vote!
    Show

Where do we go? Who do we suggest did the murder? With what weapon? Let me know and off we'll go!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I say we get to the Conservatory! That'll let us double-dip with the secret passage.

Our Suggestion, when we get there: Mrs. Peacock in The Conservatory, with The Rope. We can try and scattershot first, to get some easy eliminations down, then target it (by naming our own cards) later.

Disclaimer: I've only played Clue once. I'm making an educated guess to the strategy.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2015-06-11 at 08:16 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

That plan sounds good.

edit: Oh, can we be the killer? Obviously we could in the board game version, but my brain presumed it'd eliminate the human player, which...I have no evidence for. I think someone else said something to suggest the idea.
    Last edited by Deme; 2015-06-11 at 09:32 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh, yes. The killer's identity is entirely random, and the game actually has a pretty good RNG, so there's a very real chance that the player characters are the murderer... they just don't know it.

SNES Clue is a little unique in that all six of the players can be human or computer. Want to play a game of clue with five friends? Go for it. Want to watch the computer try to puzzle out the solution to which it already knows the answer? Have at it.

It's funny how few games actually did that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Will it show you which specific computer player passes a card to whichever computer player is asking that turn?

The more complicated strategies for playing Clue with actual people depend pretty heavily on figuring out which cards are in the other players' hands by knowing that, say, Player 1 asked about Ms. White, Conservatory, Lead Pipe, Player 2 passed them a card, and you already know that you (Player 3 in this example) have the Lead Pipe and Player 4 has the Conservatory (which you know because you saw it last time), so now you know that Player 2 has Ms. White, and so on. This means that knowing that, say, Player 4 asked for something and Player 5 didn't have any of those three cards but Player 6 did useful, since you have now eliminated three possibilities from Player 5's hand for future questions.

My family plays Clue that way (my father plays everything that way, which does not win him many friends in casual drink-and-chat gaming circles), and I had no idea that other people just write down the cards they actually see and don't make the second-and-third-tier deductions and log all the moves everyone makes until I played with some other people in my dorm in college, so I'm curious if this video game version encourages that kind of play.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Will it show you which specific computer player passes a card to whichever computer player is asking that turn?
    No. The information you gain from each suggestion is displayed via a little cinematic, so you'll never find out who has what card.

If someone can disprove your suggestion during an interrogation, then you'll find out who can disprove the scenario, but not why. But since you only get two interrogations per game that's not a lot of help.

Also, the information presented is more complex than "Suspect X is innocent because I have that card'. Things are done more in line with the junior Clue books (Yes, Clue had a book series aimed at children. I'm ashamed to say that I read most of them.)-- the entire game is much more of a logic puzzle than a simple exercise in the process of elimination.

Spoiler: The Next Round
    Show

After giving the matter due consideration, I opted to begin my investigations at the Conservatory. I must confess that this decision was at least partially motivated by the so-called 'gut instinct'. I had this vague notion that Mr. Boddy was a practitioner of the musical arts... but I must confess myself unable to understand why I held this notion.

After pondering this dilemma for several seconds, I decided to simply forget about it and pursue my plan of action.

My progress was less than spectacular. I wonder if Mrs. Peacock had rigged the die somehow?

Col. Mustard's next roll, however, quickly dispelled that notion. Given what I understood of the blowhard's general personality, I hazarded the supposition that he would simply enter the nearest room (that being the dining facility) and begin making suggestions post-haste.

There is a rather pleasant degree of satisfaction to being right all the time. I had barely met the man but already I understood him better than he understood himself. There are those who say that the pen is mightier than the sword. I would disagree. The pen is nothing without the mind to guide it. Therefore, the mind is mightier than either pen or sword.

And if there was one advantage I possessed, it was the mind.

That said, Col. Mustard's choice of suggestion did mildly surprise me. But, no matter, it was but more delicious data for my mental computations to digest.

"Alright, everyone, listen up." The Colonel said. "Here's the way I see it..."

"Mr. Green's buff enough to do the job. I'm going to say that he strangled Mr. Boddy in the dining room."

"And why would that be?" I inquired.

Col. Mustard gave me one of those looks. You know the sort. They're the ones my students normally give me when I begin lecturing.

"Why would what be?" He asked.

"What evidence have you that Mr. Green was the killer?"

He gave me an insufferable smirk: "Wouldn't you like to know!"

"Why, yes, as a matter of fact I would like to know. That is the objective of the game, is it not?" I replied. Did he honestly find that first-grade retort clever?

The sound of a throat being cleared interrupted our spat. I turned to find Mrs. White lounging in an easy chair and looking bored stiff at our displays of competitive male ego.

"Not that I care." She drawled. "But I can definitively say that however Mr. Boddy was killed, it wasn't with anything from the Dining Room."

"And you would know this how?" Col. Mustard asked. I might have been mistaken, but I was I believe that he had modulated his voice to reflect my own unique, if high-pitched, characteristics.

"Because I cleaned the darn place this morning." Mrs. White retorted. "Glad I never have to do that again."

"Oh." Col. Mustard said.

Now it was my turn to smirk.

"If you gents need me, I'll be in the Ball Room." Mrs. White said. With that, she slipped off of her chair and positively waltzed down the hallway. No pun intended, of course.

Mrs. Peacock, however, was still dawdling in the hallway. I'm not entirely sure what she was doing... aside from staring at some abstract painting and condemning the artist for having the utter nerve to put pigmented oils on a canvas in such a way that it vaguely resembled interlocking mechanisms.

Frankly, I fear such speaks more of Mrs. Peacock's state of mind than that of the artist's.

My own efforts at investigation were... performing in a less than optimal fashion.

But I was hardly alone in my misery. Col. Mustard's rolls were no better than my own.

At least Mrs. White finally succeeded in reaching the ballroom. I fail to understand how a woman as spry as she could possibly take so long covering so short a distance.

"I'm plucking things at random, so it's nothing personal, dearie." Mrs. White announced to the assembled audience. "Anyone have anything to say about it?"

"Why, no, nothing at all. Dear." Mrs. Peacock replied.

"Aside from the fact that I was never in the Ballroom." Mrs. Peacock finished. "You see, I don't dance."

"That's good to know." Mrs. White replied evenly. "If I ever buy you shoes, I'll make sure to get two left ones."

"Well, my word!" Mrs. Peacock said, whilst managing a very offended look. Fortunately, she left her comments there and I was spared any more juvenile repartee.

Mrs. Peacock turned to the resident tiger. She gave him a smile that was far too sweet to be genuine.

"Col. Mustard, did you kill Mr. Boddy with the Knife?"

"Where at?" The Colonel replied.

"Excuse me?" Mrs. Peacock blinked.

"Where at?" The Colonel repeated. "It's not enough to suggest that I killed him with the knife, you have to suggest where I killed him, too."

"Well, um, here... in the Ballroom."

"Then, no. I didn't kill him in the ballroom." Col. Mustard gave Mrs. Peacock a smile that was far too full of teeth to be pleasant.

Meanwhile, I had finally succeeded in making some real progress in the case. Which is not to suggest that I had any concrete notion of whom the perpetrator could be, but rather that I was finally making some decent headway towards the conservatory.

"How about we pick on someone else, for a while." Col. Mustard grunted. "Mrs. Scarlet, with the Candlestick, in the Ballroom. She looks like the type that would enjoy some dancin'."

"The most improper sort of dancing." Mrs. Peacock added.

"That's interesting... very, very interesting..." Mustard said. He pulled some sort of notebook from his pocket and began scribbling information.

I wasn't too worried about this production. It seemed to me that this was but an attempt to, well, 'psyche us out'. If Mustard had any real idea of who had committed the crime, we would all know it by now.

"Weeeell... Since we know that the rope was in the Ballroom, how about it, Mrs. Peacock? Did you strangle Mr. Boddy with the rope while the two of you were..." Mrs. White waited just long enough for the pause to become suggestively pregnant. "deep in the thralls of a tango?"

"I most certainly did not!" Peacock protested.

Mustard swaggered over to Peacock's side and made a great display out of examining the woman. Mrs. Peacock grew flustered beneath his gaze. Finally she smacked him, lightly, on the cheek and the old man moved away with a smile.

"Doubt she'd have the upper body strength for it, anyway." He said.

"I think that it's high time the shoe went on the other foot!" Mrs. Peacock cried out.

"Would that be the left one?" Mrs. White said with a self-satisfied smile.

"You beat Mr. Boddy to death with the pipe!"

"No, I'm quite certain that that's wrong." Mrs. White replied. She neither missed a beat nor let the inflection of her voice change. It was almost as though she were referring to the weather. "I don't use a pipe. It's not proper."

Meanwhile, at long last I had finally succeeded in reaching the Conservatory. It made me rather glad that I had chosen the course of action that I had. Granted, the others might have gathered some valuable evidence, but my long walk had pushed me past my recommended FitBit goal for the day.

I took a deep breath and said: "I would like to suggest that Mrs. Peacock--"

"Et tu, Plum?" She cried out.

Undeterred, I continued. "With the rope!"

"Eh?" Piped up Mustard. "Didn't we decide that Peacock couldn't have strangled anybody with those scrawny arms?"

"In the Conservatory!" I finished, whilst throwing up my hands in frustration.

Of course...

I... I knew that...

Spoiler: Evidence
    Show

Cards We Hold:
    Mrs. Scarlet
    Mrs. White
    Wrench
    Kitchen
    Study

Other Evidence:
    No Weapons in the Dining Room

Mrs. Peacock did NOT have the Rope
    Mrs. Peacock was NOT in the Ballroom

Mrs. White did NOT have the Pipe

The Knife was NOT in the Ballroom
    The Rope was in the Ballroom

No One had the Rope

What does Plum do next? Vote away!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by D.KnightSpider View Post
    Things are done more in line with the junior Clue books (Yes, Clue had a book series aimed at children. I'm ashamed to say that I read most of them.)-- the entire game is much more of a logic puzzle than a simple exercise in the process of elimination.
    No shame there. I loved those books.

The secret passage goes to the... kitchen, I believe. Let's head there. Maybe we can help narrow down the weapon. Perhaps Mrs. White stabbed Boddy to death there.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Apologies! I hadn't realized we weren't right outside the Conservatory. I misread your pictures.

Uh...I'll come back to this tomorrow.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Don't worry about it. The other pawns gave us some good evidence so it wasn't like wasted time or anything.

Well, the secret passage actually goes to the Lounge. But we'll take the Passage regardless.

Show

Col. Mustard had that insufferable smile on his face. I knew that we were in for another display of his infamous #2 Pencil-sharp wit. He did not disappoint.

Col. Mustard clasped his hands behind his back and began strutting around the room. He turned his gaze skyward as if he were thinking deep thoughts. I rather doubted that. It's rather hard to get deep thoughts out of a teacup-sized brain.

"Mrs. Peacock suggested that I killed Mr. Boddy, and perhaps I did." He mused aloud. "But she suggested that I did it with the knife... I am here to tell you that..."

"If I did, then it was not in the ballroom!" Col. Mustard all but chortled.

I brought my hands together and clapped. Not with genuine admiration, of course, but in a more measured golf-clap.

"Bravo." I said. "You have successfully told us that which we already knew and thereby wasted our time."

"And why not? I'm in no rush." Mustard retorted.

Now it was my turn to look smug. I wagged my finger at him. It was a gesture with which I was well acquainted. Many a wayward student had found himself on the wrong end of it. It was something of a legend among the academy... but I digress.

"Ah, but you should be. Time is against you. In wasting our time, you have wasted your turn and given us the advantage!"

Col. Mustard gaped like a fish out of water.

"Since you cavemen are done bashing your egos against each other," Mrs. White brought my moment of glory to a rather undignified end. "and since I no longer have to put up with your displays of male bravado, I will be leaving. Ta-ta."

And with that, Mrs. White turned and walked not out of the door, as was expected, but instead sashayed to a far corner, wherein stood a tall grandfather clock. The former maid opened the front panel, reached inside and pulled the pendulum. The clock rumbled, then moved aside to reveal a previously hidden staircase.

Now it was my turn to gape. A secret passage? I had never imagined such. I resolved to more thoroughly search the rooms of this mansion in case there were other such passages. They might be of use to me in the future should I need a conveniently fast getaway.

Without bothering to give us an explanation behind the existence of this secret passage, Mrs. White vanished down the staircase and disappeared from my view.

"Let's see... let's see..." Mrs. White murmured to herself. "Who haven't we picked on in a while? I've no interest in witnessing Mustard smear Plum. So... let's see if Mr. Green did it. I can ask him if he has any openings on his payroll while I'm at it."

"So, tell me, Mr. Moneybags, do you have need of a maid? The condition of your suit makes you look like you need one."

"No." Green gruffed in a huff. "I've no need of anyone who would suspect me of murder."

"How delightfully unhelpful." Mrs. White frowned at the man.

Mrs. Peacock, meanwhile, had seated herself at the piano and was picking at the keys. She seemed... troubled.. in a fashion. Hopefully her concern was not over her musical ability. The chords issuing from the poor instrument could only be described as 'broken'.

"Professor Plum?" She asked me without turning to face me.

"Yes, my dear?" I replied.

"I don't mean to gossip but I must ask. Have you noticed anything... odd... about Mrs. White?"

I paused a moment to consider the question, but was forced to admit that I had not.

"It's nothing that I can put my finger on, but she just seems so, well, un-maid-like." Mrs. Peacock said.

"Her employer is rather, if you will forgive my bluntness, dead." I made the obvious point. "As she, herself, admitted, this renders her no longer a maid. I imagine that she's feeling rather grand about finally being allowed to admit her true feelings without jeopardizing her employment.

"And yet, she insults those who might potentially employ her. There's just something not quite right about that woman. In fact, I think..."

"You really think Mrs. White would knock off Mr. Boddy with the Candlestick?" Col. Mustard queried.

"I'm quite certain that she'd have the upper body strength for it." Mrs. Peacock replied evenly enough.

"Be that as it may, Mrs. Peacock, I'm afraid that you have made one slight miscalculation." I replied.

"Oh? What miscalculation might that be?" She asked.

"That I see the Candlestick, er, sticking out of your handbag. Ergo, you must have had the Candlestick, not Mrs. White."

Mrs. Peacock's face turned a delightful shade of red at my announcement.

"Now, if you will excuse me, I have some more investigations to conduct." I tipped my non-existent hat to the Peacock and slipped through the secret passageway.

And it was there that I made a most interesting discovery...

Spoiler: Updated Evidence
    Show

Cards We Hold:
    Mrs. Scarlet
    Mrs. White
    Wrench
    Kitchen
    Study

Other Evidence:
    No Weapon was in the Lounge

Mrs. Peacock had the Candlestick

Mrs. White was in the Billiard Room

No One had the Rope
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2015-06-18 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Fixing formatting issue

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not certain the SNES version of Clue works like the version I'm familiar with, so I'm asking this to make sure. Am I correct in thinking:

1) Because we have Mrs. White and Ms. Scarlet, we know they didn't do it.
    2) Because we have the Wrench, we know it's not the murder weapon.
    3) Because we have the Kitchen and Study, we know he wasn't murdered in them.
    4) No more than one person can be in a room.
    5) No more than one weapon can be in a room.

If so, then we know:
    It wasn't done in the Billiard Room, Ballroom, Kitchen, Study, Dining Room, or Lounge.

How many possible rooms are left?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

That's correct. There can only be one person or weapon per room. The only tweak made to the standard board game formula was the introduction of the 'Logic Clues' (such as "X did NOT have Y" or "X was in Z").

Insofar as what rooms are left... Y'know what? Let me just make this easy on everyone.

Have a map.

There's the Hall, Conservatory or Library.

16. - Top - End - #16

Then, if I am reading the map correctly that the Hall is far closer to us than the Conservatory or Library, my advice is to go there and propose that it was us (Professor Plum, that is) with the Pipe in the Hall.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Then, if I am reading the map correctly that the Hall is far closer to us than the Conservatory or Library, my advice is to go there and propose that it was us (Professor Plum, that is) with the Pipe in the Hall.
    I was going to propose the knife, but this works. The Hall's the obvious next choice of room.

18. - Top - End - #18

I agree with hall, pipe, Plum. By the way, is the victim really called Mr Body in the U.S? We have him as Mr Black. Also Mr Green is a Reverend.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

19. - Top - End - #19

John Boddy, yes.

The professions of the various characters change from edition to edition of Clue. Green has been a mobster, an FBI agent, and I don't know what else.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, the names were changed on our side of the pond. According to urban legend, Hasbro was nervous about having the victim be "Mr. Black" so they changed it to Mr. Bod(d)y. The second 'd' may or may not be there depending on which version of the game you have.

Likewise, Mr. Green was initially called 'Rev. Green'. But, supposedly, their play testers were skittish about being a reverend who might have committed murder, so they changed it to 'Mr. Green' and made him a corrupt business executive.

Show

I was not entirely certain what my main rival, Col. Mustard by name, was plotting. He was, however, most certainly potting something. He left the ballroom in a huff and began pacing the floor outside the Ballroom. I was tempted to dismiss his behavior as mere annoyance at having his buffoonery revealed for what it was... but I just could not do it. The facts did not add up to that solution.

There was little I could do about Mustard, however. There were more immediate problems with which to concern myself. Not the least of which was Victoria.

No, I do not refer to Mrs. White or Mrs. Peacock. This difficulty being either of them would have made things so much easier with which to deal. External problems and difficulties, I can deal with easily enough. An inner demon is so much more difficult with which to wrestle.

And Victoria is indeed and inner demon.

I realize now why I opted to begin my search in the conservatory. It had nothing to do with hunches or premonitions or anything of the sort. I knew, as in I was mentally aware, that Mr. Boddy favored the musical arts.

I knew because of Victoria. She told me.

She told me a great many things. I listened to far too few of them. Those that I heard, I did not believe.

I should have believed her.

Of the lot of us, she was the most likely in the position to know. Logic dictated that she was telling the truth. But I could not make myself believe it.

After all this time, to think that I had done the impossible. I had tried so hard to blot her from my mind and memories. I had very nearly succeeded. But only a madman can fully deny the reality of the past.

And I am anything but mad.

If anything, I am far too sane for my own good. Victoria was always there, flitting about the fringes of my consciousness, playing about the edges of my memory. No matter how hard I tried, I could never fully forget her. I could not forget her or her blasted brother.

Those were very trying times for us.

Memories are finicky things. One can never fully reject them or forget them. They can lie forgotten at the base of a mind for years only to resurface with the vengeance of a woman scorned. They can be brought back by anything, really. A particular color. A familiar car. A particular candlestick.

In my case, it was a painting. Not just a familiar painting... How I wish that had been all. It was far more explicit than that.

The painting in question was one of Victoria Boddy. I chanced to spy it hanging upon a wall in a side corridor. She stood there, enshrined forever in oil and pigment, displaying her beauty for all to see. It was then that I remembered her.

I remembered how much I cared for her. I remembered how much I loved her. I remembered how I would do anything for her.

I don't mean that figuratively, I mean that literally. I really would do anything for her. I can say that. I'm one of the few who can say that.

I'm one of the few who have the right to say that.

"I'm fairly certain that I have this entire mystery figured out." Col. Mustard said.

His words snapped me out of my reverie and angered me. I desired to be alone with my thoughts, not listening to the childish patterings of this condiment-tinged blow-hard.

I was not worried that he had won the game.

"Allow me to explain it to you." Mustard muttered.

It was at this point that Mrs. White interrupted.

Mustard instantly and immediately did his best impression of a leftover Macy's day balloon. I couldn't help but smirk at his mistake. It was a nice attempt. But an attempt was all that it was. Success still eluded our deluded companion.

Having let the air out of Mustard's bravado, Mrs. White resumed her efforts to secure evidence of the killer's guilt. Naturally, she did this by wandering into a random room and making a random suggestion as to whom the perpetrator was.

This also happened to involve grabbing the hapless Mrs. Peacock by the arm and hauling her into the dining room-- perhaps a little more roughly than was strictly necessary.

"Mrs. Peacock." Mr. White smirked. "You did it with the Candlestick, didn't you?"

"Poppycock!" Said the Peacock. "I can prove it!"

The suggestion disproven, Mrs. Peacock began to strut: "In fact, I would go so far as to say..."

I wish that I could say I was bemused by all of this. But such was not the case. While that cacophony was transpiring, I had made my way to the front Hall. And it was there that I was forced to make an admission to myself.

I loved Victoria Boddy...

Loved her enough to marry her.

Loved her enough to break all the laws of ethics for her.

Loved her enough to take revenge for her.

Spoiler: Updated Evidence
    Show

Cards We Hold:
    Mrs. Scarlet
    Mrs. White
    Wrench
    Kitchen
    Study

Other Evidence:
    No one was in the Dining Room
    No Weapon was in the Lounge

Col. Mustard was in the Lounge

Mrs. Peacock had the Candlestick
    Mrs. Peacock was NOT in the Dining Room

Mrs. White had the Revolver
    Mrs. White was in the Billiard Room

The Knife was in the Library
    The Knife was NOT in the Lounge

Plum had the Pipe

No One had the Rope

The Murder was NOT in the Billiard Room

Spoiler: Silliness
    Show

Interestingly enough... you know that staircase that holds the Solution Envelope in the real life board game? In the SNES version of the game, you can go down it.

This doesn't really do anything of purpose. There's no benefit or reward for doing so. You just hover offscreen for a moment or two before slowly coming back up the stairs to your original board space.

The game manual justifies this trick by saying that Mr. Boddy's, er, body was found in the basement. Which is why no one knows where the murder took place: the body was moved after the murder committed. If you go down the stairs, it's just the character taking another look at the discovery of the body.

Still, it's a neat little easter egg.
    Last edited by D.KnightSpider; 2015-06-21 at 05:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Next let's go back into the Hall and propose that that MustardGreen did it with the Knife, since Mustard was in a room where no weapon was and therefore must be innocent.
    Last edited by Kish; 2015-06-21 at 11:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Must be awkward to start solving a murder mystery, only to have your finger point at yourself, innit. Can be confusing, especially if you didn't know it beforehand.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

23. - Top - End - #23

Next let's go back into the Hall and propose that that MustardGreen did it with the Knife, since Mustard was in a room where no weapon was and therefore must be innocent.
    Following Kish's lead again.

I wish we could eliminate more weapons, we've only knocked out the wrench and rope.

24. - Top - End - #24

Time for the bandwagon then! Agreeing with knife, Green and Hall.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Following Kish's lead again.

I wish we could eliminate more weapons, we've only knocked out the wrench and rope.
    And the revolver, since someone who we know didn't do it had it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Spamalot in the Playground

Dotting this because I have no earthly idea how to play it and want to learn.

Kish, your summary in #14 was exceedingly helpful for a tyro like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #27

In fact...

It appears to me we have it narrowed down to: Plum with Pipe in Hall or Conservatory, Peacock with Candlestick in Hall or Conservatory, Green with Knife in Library, or Green with (what other weapons are there? is there poison in this version of the game?) in Hall or Conservatory. If there are any weapons that aren't Pipe, Candlestick, Knife, or eliminated one way or another, I'm changing my vote to one of them, lest we get the redundant information "the Knife was not in the Hall."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I can most assuredly state that you did not get the message: The Knife was NOT in the Hall.

I have the footage screencapped, I just need to upload, organize and post it. Hopefully, I'll have an update later this afternoon. I meant to get one up yesterday but it's been a busy week.

Also, no. There is no poison in this version. There's only Knife, Candlestick, Revolver, Rope, Pipe and Wrench.

29. - Top - End - #29

So, it's Plum with Pipe in Hall or Conservatory, Peacock with Candlestick in Hall or Conservatory, or Green with Knife in Library.

30. - Top - End - #30

So, it's Plum with Pipe in Hall or Conservatory, Peacock with Candlestick in Hall or Conservatory, or Green with Knife in Library.
    Maybe we should head for the Library then, eliminate that possibility completely.