New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Path of War
    How does the movement portion of Defensive Focus work with a mounted Warder? Can the mount take the movement, or is the Warder stuck in place?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ICN View Post
    Path of War
    How does the movement portion of Defensive Focus work with a mounted Warder? Can the mount take the movement, or is the Warder stuck in place?
    A: The mount can take the movement for the Warder.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Can I ask a question about the Pathwalker - Walking New Paths from the Systems and Use chapter? If all Pathwalker's get access to the Sleeping Goddess discipline regardless of paths chosen then what happens if he selects the Sleeping Goddess discipline path? Surely this would make you less versatile by only having 2 disciplines, instead of 3 otherwise?

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vilor View Post
    Can I ask a question about the Pathwalker - Walking New Paths from the Systems and Use chapter? If all Pathwalker's get access to the Sleeping Goddess discipline regardless of paths chosen then what happens if he selects the Sleeping Goddess discipline path? Surely this would make you less versatile by only having 2 disciplines, instead of 3 otherwise?
    A: Currently it doesn't specify what exactly happens, but there will be errata released to clarify the issue. You gain access to 3 disciplines (Sleeping Goddess and 2 others) and then choose 2 of those disciplines to pick your Paths from. You would still gain access to 3 total disciplines and 2 paths.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War-Umbral Blade
    What is the purpose of having the Embrace the Shadows Stance's maneuver level increase as the character gains levels in the PrC? Is it just to increase the DC of the K: Martial check to identify it? There seem to be no other stance level dependant effects riding on it, so it had perked my curiosity.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Dwarf in the Playground

Path of War: Expanded

Equivocate, of Shattered Mirror fame.

Let's say an enemy uses Mirror Image on themselves and you trigger Equivocate to steal that buff. Does the buff expire after one round like the bond? Or does the buff continue its normal duration while just the bond expires?

I was reading it as the second option, and this very circumstance came up last session.
    If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it.

Homebrew
    [WIP] Scaled Tyrant - Path of War Dragon based discipline.

Campaigns I am in:
    We Be Best Goblins! as Ragnok the Titleless
    Land of the Endless Sky as Azrael (previously Nualia)

7. - Top - End - #487

Planetar

Path of War: Expanded

So enemies under the effects of a spell with the [curse] descriptor is cursed for the purposes of Cursed Razor. Is an enemy under the effects of a hex also considered cursed?

(AKA it would be really cool if it did)

Also, is the Harbinger product for sale in various places the final version?
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2016-02-03 at 10:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=917

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    With regards to critical hits and maneuvers -

I never intended maneuvers to get multiplied with criticals under any circumstances. I may have put the ruling for it in a weird place (my bad there), but that was the intent. I'll make it clearer in the errata rules go through and put it in my notes for Ultimate PoW. Keledrath - could you put it in the FAQ?

So yeah. Dice or flat numbers - you do not multiply maneuver numbers.

At some point we need to address the hell that is mounted combat with regards to maneuvers, but that's not right this second.

-X
    Emphasis on "put it in the FAQ".
    Last edited by AzraelX; 2016-02-04 at 11:23 AM.

9. - Top - End - #489

Akashic Mysteries

How does Shape Veil work if you already have, or later obtain, levels in a veilweaving class? Do you get the veil from the feat as an extra one? For example, will a first level vizier with the feat be able to shape three veils, albeit one of which is always fixed?

10. - Top - End - #490

Planetar

Wow, that's... rather a big thing to have sprung. I'm pretty sure there are maneuvers that do enhanced effects on criticals, aren't there?

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Wow, that's... rather a big thing to have sprung. I'm pretty sure there are maneuvers that do enhanced effects on criticals, aren't there?
    There's Twisting Wind Shot, a level 6 Solar Wind strike that baseline, automatically crits if the attack roll is succesful. However, if the attack would naturally crit by itself, the target is dazed for one round, no save.

I'm not entirely sure whether there are any other maneuvers that get an extra effect on criticals, though.

However, even if it isn't exactly enhanced effect on a crit, the Doom Talon level 8 Thrashing Dragon boost can be activated when an attack threatens a critical, automatically confirming it and causing the attack to deal an extra 4d6 damage.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a question regarding the Bladecasters capstone ability and its interaction with strikes that are multitarget or area of effect based. Does the ability have treat the spell that is used to deliver the strike as its new point of origin to affect enemies or does it only affect the original target of the spell?

Ability copy/pasted here:
    At 10th level, the bladecaster is capable of fully blending his arcane abilities with his martial talent. The bladecaster is capable of sculpting his very magic into the implements of war, enabling it to deliver his martial maneuvers. The bladecaster may activate this ability as a free action when he casts a spell that requires an attack roll. He may initiate a strike as a free part of casting that spell, using the spell in place of his normal ranged or melee attack, as appropriate (the spell effectively delivers the maneuver's effects in place of the bladecaster's weapon.) The spell's range is reduced to 30-ft or closer (if the spell's range is smaller, then use that), and spell resistance or a successful saving throw against the spell effect negates the maneuver being used. Spells that create multiple attacks or that target multiple creatures only have the strike added to the first such attack. This ability may be used a number of times equal to 1 + initiator modifier per day.

As you can see the ability calls out the strike would only be delivered to a single target if it were a multi target spell, but is silent on the interaction of AoE or multi target strikes. Since several disciplines carry a variety of such strikes, especially in Path of War Expanded, I would like to know how to resolve this.

13. - Top - End - #493

Planetar

Path of War- Maneuvers and nonlethal

If a maneuver is used with a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, of if the user is deliberately dealing nonlethal damage with a lethal weapon, do maneuvers deal nonlethal damage as well, unless otherwise typed (sacred damage for Silver Crane, elemental damage for Elemental Flux, etc)?

14. - Top - End - #494
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Twin Thunder Stance and Phalanx Lancer Stance have some interesting interactions with weapons that have the Reach trait. It appears to me that Paizo has intentionally reworked weapons from 3.5 like the spiked chain that threatened squares next to as well as 10 ft away from the wielder to only threaten adjacent squares now. Was it the author's intent to allow first level Piercing Thunder initiators to be able to fight opponents next to him/her (shield bash) as well as 10 ft away?

The Twin Thunder Stance allows a user to have a reach weapon in one hand (a bit of a unique situation for Pathfinder) and a normal melee weapon in the other, thus threatening all squares within 10 ft to either side of him/her. This is a rehash of the question above: was this situation intended by the author?

Thanks to Dreamscarred for writing such great content with PoW and PoW:E.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mezzakur View Post
    The Twin Thunder Stance and Phalanx Lancer Stance have some interesting interactions with weapons that have the Reach trait. It appears to me that Paizo has intentionally reworked weapons from 3.5 like the spiked chain that threatened squares next to as well as 10 ft away from the wielder to only threaten adjacent squares now. Was it the author's intent to allow first level Piercing Thunder initiators to be able to fight opponents next to him/her (shield bash) as well as 10 ft away?

The Twin Thunder Stance allows a user to have a reach weapon in one hand (a bit of a unique situation for Pathfinder) and a normal melee weapon in the other, thus threatening all squares within 10 ft to either side of him/her. This is a rehash of the question above: was this situation intended by the author?

Thanks to Dreamscarred for writing such great content with PoW and PoW:E.
    A: Yes, it is both intentional and by design. There are a plethora of options that extend character reach or allow you to attack adjacent opponents with a reach weapon in both Path of War and Path of War: Expanded. Twin Thunder Stance and Phalanx Lancer Stance are merely scratching the surface. These options have been extensively tested and have plenty of evidence in favor of their balance from both our own playtesting and the years of experience people have with 3.5.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Path of War- Maneuvers and nonlethal

If a maneuver is used with a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, of if the user is deliberately dealing nonlethal damage with a lethal weapon, do maneuvers deal nonlethal damage as well, unless otherwise typed (sacred damage for Silver Crane, elemental damage for Elemental Flux, etc)?
    A: I meant to answer this earlier, but in actuality there's precedent for even special damage types like cold or sacred to have nonlethal versions. What this means is that you can deal the entirety of the damage from a maneuver as nonlethal should you choose, only taking the normal penalties for doing so (if there are any).

17. - Top - End - #497

DwarfClericGuy

Okay, I'm not sure if this has been answered comprehensively, or all in one place, so...

Skill Check substitutions, 20 billion questions:
    1. Do skill checks in place of saves count as saves? For example, someone shoots Hold Person at me, and I use Sanguine Perseverance: Do I get the benefit of Iron Will if I have that feat? Do I get the benefit of my Cloak of Resistance? If the roll is a 'save' rather than a 'skill check' do I still get a competence bonus to that roll from my Lenses of Detection (If it called for a perception substitution)?
    2. Do skill checks in place of attack rolls (And CMB checks as a subset of attack rolls) count as attack rolls? Do I get Weapon Focus or Weapon training to the skill check?
    3. If I get a competence bonus to attack and a competence bonus to a skill, which I can use to attack, do I get both?

This is assuming that all skill substitutions are consistent, which..., well, I think that would help?
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

18. - Top - End - #498

Planetar

I assumed you used only the skill bonus, along with any magic items you have helping it out.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Do skill checks in place of saves count as saves? For example, someone shoots Hold Person at me, and I use Sanguine Perseverance: Do I get the benefit of Iron Will if I have that feat? Do I get the benefit of my Cloak of Resistance? If the roll is a 'save' rather than a 'skill check' do I still get a competence bonus to that roll from my Lenses of Detection (If it called for a perception substitution)?
    it's a full substitution. You use your entire skill modifier in place of your save modifier.

Do skill checks in place of attack rolls (And CMB checks as a subset of attack rolls) count as attack rolls? Do I get Weapon Focus or Weapon training to the skill check?
    This, on the other hand, is "yes," but not because of anything to do with the substitution. The skill check maneuvers in PoW E (and, eventually, the ones in PoW 1) have/will have this wording:

"Any bonuses and penalties that would be applied to a normal attack roll, such as weapon enhancements, spell effects, or the penalties for fighting with two weapons or shooting into melee, are applied to the skill check as well."

Which allows it to be added instead of just being a substitution.

If I get a competence bonus to attack and a competence bonus to a skill, which I can use to attack, do I get both?
    No, because competence bonuses don't stack.

20. - Top - End - #500

Planetar

Another tentative question/idea for how a DSP product would interact with a system from Unchained: I've been a fan of wound levels, but havent played with it implemented. If playing with initiators, would it be fair to assert that they also take penalties to their initiator level? I would ask about Psionics and Akashic equivalents, but I'm not familiar with them enough to do so.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    Akashic Mysteries

How does Shape Veil work if you already have, or later obtain, levels in a veilweaving class? Do you get the veil from the feat as an extra one? For example, will a first level vizier with the feat be able to shape three veils, albeit one of which is always fixed?
    No, the Vizier would not be able to shape 3 veils at first level. Shape Veil only grants you additional veils shaped if your class would not normally grant them. If you have levels in a veilweaving class, you instead just add the selected veil to your veil list.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Monster Classes:

If I am understanding everything correctly does the Deathless Ghost not have any carrying capacity? If it does not then how does the feat Selective Tangibility work?

23. - Top - End - #503

Supposing I have Combat Expertise, Improved Called Shot, and Greater Called Shot, can I use those in conjunction with maneuvers? It makes intuitive sense to me that it's possible, since unlike tripping or disarming, most maneuvers deal damage and thus have an obvious interaction, but the inclusion of sunder in there implies that it doesn't work. On the other other hand, a specific vs general argument can be made, that the general case that you can't is trumped by the specific case of Greater Called Shot allowing you to apply it to any attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Blossom View Post
    And then you wrote about it on your livejournal, dyed your hair black and started taking warlock levels.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Halfling in the Playground

Arcforge:

Does piloting a mech count as wearing armor? Can a psychic warrior (reactor knight)/monk benefit from their Wisdom bonus to AC?

Can a mech be healed via Silver Crane maneuvers?

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EarthSeraphEdna View Post
    Arcforge:

Does piloting a mech count as wearing armor? Can a psychic warrior (reactor knight)/monk benefit from their Wisdom bonus to AC?

Can a mech be healed via Silver Crane maneuvers?
    These would be better placed in the playtest thread since this product is still in the playtest thread, but quickly-

Yes, piloting a mech should count as wearing armor, so no, a PsyWar/Monk would not add WIS to AC while piloting.

***EDIT***
    Yes, Silver Crane maneuvers heal constructs. They are untyped healing and should be equally applicable to most creatures.

26. - Top - End - #506

Path of War:

How do 6th level initiators interact with multiclassing and prestige classes? Does their maximum maneuver level stick to 1/3 IL in both cases?

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Path of War:

How do 6th level initiators interact with multiclassing and prestige classes? Does their maximum maneuver level stick to 1/3 IL in both cases?
    No, they get 9th maneuver access through prestige classes. Advanced Study also lets them get the maneuver level of a full initiator.

28. - Top - End - #508

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    No, they get 9th maneuver access through prestige classes. Advanced Study also lets them get the maneuver level of a full initiator.
    Cool, what about if a 12th level Fighter enters Pathwalker? Can he pick 3rd or 4th level maneuvers as his highest?

29. - Top - End - #509
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Cool, what about if a 12th level Fighter enters Pathwalker? Can he pick 3rd or 4th level maneuvers as his highest?
    Fighter 12 / Pathwalker 1 would have IL of 1 (pathwalker) + 6 (half of other non-prc levels). So he would be able to choose maneuvers of level available to 7th level pathwalker. IIRC that's 3rd level maneuvers.

If he were to take Advanced Study feat as his 13th level feat, he would be able to get 4th level maneuvers with it, just as any full initiator with IL 7. Though I'm still not sure what does "Prerequisite: Martial disciple of 4th level or higher." mean and if it needs four levels of initiating classes or just IL 4.
    Last edited by Nyaa; 2016-03-09 at 03:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Fighter 12 / Pathwalker 1 would have IL of 1 (pathwalker) + 6 (half of other non-prc levels). So he would be able to choose maneuvers of level available to 7th level pathwalker. IIRC that's 3rd level maneuvers.

If he were to take Advanced Study feat as his 13th level feat, he would be able to get 4th level maneuvers with it, just as any full initiator with IL 7. Though I'm still not sure what does "Prerequisite: Martial disciple of 4th level or higher." mean and if it needs four levels of initiating classes or just IL 4.
    Four levels of initiating classes.