New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Psionics Expanded

Looking at the tactician power Battlesense, the text would indicate that it's a Network power. However, it isn't actually one. Is there a specific reason for this?
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Are there any limits to how often Warlords can use a particular gambit? E.g. can she use the same gambit each round if she wants to?

(I remember a post on these forums that implied one had to attempt each gambit once before using previous ones again...but reading the Warlord it looks to me like one can use the same one over and over as often as you want. Am I missing something?)

Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post
    Are there any limits to how often Warlords can use a particular gambit? E.g. can she use the same gambit each round if she wants to?

(I remember a post on these forums that implied one had to attempt each gambit once before using previous ones again...but reading the Warlord it looks to me like one can use the same one over and over as often as you want. Am I missing something?)

Thanks!
    A: (No I didn't write the Warlord, but I yelled at Chris enough about this that I think I'm qualified to answer). You can attempt the same gambit multiple times in a row, there's no restriction on how often you can use a gambit. That didn't used to be the case, back in the playtest, you had to use every gambit you had before you could reuse one.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Path of War: Expanded

Dance of the Silver Hurricane maneuver level 9, Mithral Current.

Am I obligated to use Perform: Dance? May I keep my original AC and/or CMD?
    A: No, you're not obligated to use Perform (Dance).

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the question he's asking is whether that attack needs to hit or not. The wording seems to suggest that even if your melee attack misses, you still get the "healing boom." This is different from the other healing maneuvers which usually require the attack to hit.
    Oh. Yes, the attack needs to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    Psionics Expanded

Looking at the tactician power Battlesense, the text would indicate that it's a Network power. However, it isn't actually one. Is there a specific reason for this?
    I couldn't tell you the specific reason for why, but it looks like everything that would make this a network power is built in to specifically allow it for people who DON'T have the ability to Network powers to be able to network this one. That's probably why.

Quote Originally Posted by jff362 View Post

Thanks!
    Personally, I find it hateful to use the same gambit over and over again. I think it's lame. The reason it's allowed is because it created option paralysis at higher level to prevent this, meaning that you'd have to use all of your known gambits before they reset. This made it harder at higher level. We killed that. The result is spammable gambits. I hate that. But it was the best solution for the situation.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I couldn't tell you the specific reason for why, but it looks like everything that would make this a network power is built in to specifically allow it for people who DON'T have the ability to Network powers to be able to network this one. That's probably why.
    I'm not entirely sure I understand. If I understand your explanation correctly, this power is written in such a way as to allow classes without a collective to use this as if they had a collective? My reason for asking is because I'm playing a Tactician in my current RL campaign, and both me and another member of the group are playing as Necropolitans (we play 3.P, FYI). The immunity to mind-affecting is a bugger to work around, but with Spirit of Many, I'm able to work mind-affecting immunity and use the useful powers. Since battlesense is mind-affecting but isn't a network power, it doesn't benefit from Spirit of Many, meaning the other member and I can't use it.

Also, to reply to your Gambit Dilemma, couldn't you have the gambits have a 1d4 round cooldown or something similar? I don't know much about class balance, but how would that affect how the class runs?
    Last edited by IZ42; 2015-06-23 at 10:08 AM.
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks to you both for the *very* speedy answers! I'm sure it's too late to make a change now...but perhaps they could have a "can't use the same gambit twice in a row rule". That way spamming the same every turn can't happen...but higher level Warlords genuinely get more flexible as they gain more gambits. (Perhaps I'll play my Warlord that way, anyway.)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I understand. If I understand your explanation correctly, this power is written in such a way as to allow classes without a collective to use this as if they had a collective? My reason for asking is because I'm playing a Tactician in my current RL campaign, and both me and another member of the group are playing as Necropolitans (we play 3.P, FYI). The immunity to mind-affecting is a bugger to work around, but with Spirit of Many, I'm able to work mind-affecting immunity and use the useful powers. Since battlesense is mind-affecting but isn't a network power, it doesn't benefit from Spirit of Many, meaning the other member and I can't use it.

Also, to reply to your Gambit Dilemma, couldn't you have the gambits have a 1d4 round cooldown or something similar? I don't know much about class balance, but how would that affect how the class runs?
    Well, you're kind of playing in the gray area as is with cross over editions, but I'll try to help. Since the power gives you the ability to fake a collective, I'd house rule in your situation to allow it because there isn't a reason not to.

Too hard to keep track of - kind of a nightmare to figure out what gambit is on what cool down when.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you're kind of playing in the gray area as is with cross over editions, but I'll try to help. Since the power gives you the ability to fake a collective, I'd house rule in your situation to allow it because there isn't a reason not to.

Too hard to keep track of - kind of a nightmare to figure out what gambit is on what cool down when.

-X
    Thank you for your scarily speedy response. I'll ask my GM about this. Now I only have to worry about my valuable actions (for some reason I decided to run a Veiled Lord Warlord//Tactician, so I'm playing the ultimate battlefield commander.)
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Path of War

If I get my first level of initiator class at character level that allows to pick maneuvers of level 3 or higher (these with Prerequisites: X maneuvers of said discipline known), do high-level maneuvers qualify for each other? For example, fighter8/warder1 have IL of 5, and five maneuvers to learn. Can he learn two level 3 maneuvers of one discipline (each of these maneuvers requiring him to know one maneuver of that discipline)?

Off the record: would doing so make me into book throwing target at your table?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Path of War

If I get my first level of initiator class at character level that allows to pick maneuvers of level 3 or higher (these with Prerequisites: X maneuvers of said discipline known), do high-level maneuvers qualify for each other? For example, fighter8/warder1 have IL of 5, and five maneuvers to learn. Can he learn two level 3 maneuvers of one discipline (each of these maneuvers requiring him to know one maneuver of that discipline)?

Off the record: would doing so make me into book throwing target at your table?
    A: No, he'd need at least one maneuver of that discipline that didn't have a prerequisite. I probably wouldn't throw a book at you though, just laugh and tell you to fix it.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Finesse Training (Ex): At 1st level, a rogue gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. In addition, starting at 3rd level, she can select any one type of weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse (such as rapiers or daggers). Once this choice is made, it cannot be changed. Whenever she makes a successful melee attack with the selected weapon, she adds her Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier to the damage roll. If any effect would prevent the rogue from adding her Strength modifier to the damage roll, she does not add her Dexterity modifier. The rogue can select a second weapon at 11th level and a third at 19th level.
    Unchained Rogue Finesse Training: When I'm replacing Strength for Dexterity, what happens with a one-handed weapon? What about an off-hand weapon?

With a two-handed weapon, you add 1-1/2 times your Dexterity bonus on damage rolls, and with an off-hand weapon, you add half your Dexterity bonus on damage rolls. As per the ability's text, if an effect would prevent you from adding your Strength modifier on damage rolls, you don't add your Dexterity modifier. However, any other effects that would increase the multiplier to your Strength bonus on damage rolls (such as the two-handed fighter archetype's overhand chop) do not affect your Dexterity bonus on damage rolls.
    Focused Offense

As long as the soulknife maintains psionic focus, she adds her Wisdom modifier to her attack and damage rolls instead of her Strength modifier.
    As written, due to this recent FAQ, Focused Offense MIGHT grant 1.5 WIS to damage.
    While it is a FAQ over one ability with a different stat, the general wording of the FAQ might contain precendent.
    If you feel that it is relevant enough, you might want to look over similar abilities and address them in relation to this FAQ.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkitten View Post
    As written, due to this recent FAQ, Focused Offense MIGHT grant 1.5 WIS to damage.
    While it is a FAQ over one ability with a different stat, the general wording of the FAQ might contain precendent.
    If you feel that it is relevant enough, you might want to look over similar abilities and address them in relation to this FAQ.
    I don't see your reasoning there. That FAQ is specific to uRogue Finesse Training.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    I don't see your reasoning there. That FAQ is specific to uRogue Finesse Training.
    Its mostly that any ability that is worded like this will create confusion as to if it works like Finesse Training.

Whenever she makes a successful melee attack with the selected weapon, she adds her Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier to the damage roll
    It also seems to make it clear what Paizo means when they say "adds her X stat modifier instead of her strength modifier to damage"

I think what brought up the FAQ in the first place was that all of their stat replacement to damage abilities specifically had lines preventing this interpretation.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope. Two different abilities. Not even remotely.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nope. Two different abilities. Not even remotely.

-X
    While I acknowledge that they are two separate abilities, its how the FAQ I'd worded that I feel has consequences. It shows what Paizo thinks replacing strength with another stat means mechanically. Even if the two abilities ARE different their wording is VERRY similar.
    All I am trying to say is that the FAQ can cause confusion as to what replacing strength with another stat means from Drwamscarred press means and that it is something that might need to be explicitly stated. The Unchained Rouge FAQ places all such abilities in question.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

While I acknowledge that they are two separate abilities, its how the FAQ I'd worded that I feel has consequences. It shows what Paizo thinks replacing strength with another stat means mechanically. Even if the two abilities ARE different their wording is VERRY similar.
    All I am trying to say is that the FAQ can cause confusion as to what replacing strength with another stat means from Drwamscarred press means and that it is something that might need to be explicitly stated. The Unchained Rouge FAQ places all such abilities in question.
    Unchained does some things that we're not doing and Unchained is a variant and optional system. We're not playing to that tune when we design our things. Unless it expressly states it, and it does not, Focused Offense is Wisdom modifier x1 exclusively. Just like Deadly Agility is exclusively Dexterity modifier x1, be it two handed, one handed, or off-handed.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

18. - Top - End - #108

ElfRangerGuy

Ultimate Psionics

Psychoactive Skin of Proteus (This psychoactive skin continually affects the wearer as the metamorphosis power.) - are metamorphosis choices set on creation or they can be switched with each activation of this skin?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Ultimate Psionics

Psychoactive Skin of Proteus (This psychoactive skin continually affects the wearer as the metamorphosis power.) - are metamorphosis choices set on creation or they can be switched with each activation of this skin?
    Each activation of the skin.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

20. - Top - End - #110

DwarfFighterGuy

Path of War:

When can the Black Seraph maneuver Intimidating Force be used? A lot of these kinds of abilities flip flop between being able to be used after learning the result of something or having to be used as a preventative measure. This seems to be based on Wall of Blades and that could be used after learning whether or not an attack hits, but there is nothing in the text of Intimidating Force stating this.

A: No, he'd need at least one maneuver of that discipline that didn't have a prerequisite. I probably wouldn't throw a book at you though, just laugh and tell you to fix it.
    It is completely possible to do this through a full initiator though, since you can replace lower level maneuvers. Also, stances should count as maneuvers of their type, they did in ToB anyway.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suichimo View Post
    Also, stances should count as maneuvers of their type, they did in ToB anyway.
    They do:
    "Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of fulfilling prerequisites for learning higher-level maneuvers or qualifying for prestige classes or feats."

POW pg 31, Stance section
    Last edited by ATalsen; 2015-06-25 at 12:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Path of War:

When can the Black Seraph maneuver Intimidating Force be used? A lot of these kinds of abilities flip flop between being able to be used after learning the result of something or having to be used as a preventative measure. This seems to be based on Wall of Blades and that could be used after learning whether or not an attack hits, but there is nothing in the text of Intimidating Force stating this.
    A: Counters can be used when the die is rolled but before the results are revealed. It has to be this way because you can't counter a natural 20, they're still automatic hits.

It is completely possible to do this through a full initiator though, since you can replace lower level maneuvers. Also, stances should count as maneuvers of their type, they did in ToB anyway.
    The question you quoted my answer from boils down to "Can I use a maneuver I don't meet the prerequisites for to meet the prerequisites to take a maneuver I don't meet the prerequisites for in order to meet the prerequisites to take the first maneuver I don't meet the prerequisites for?" The answer to that is no. But once you meet the prerequisite "one maneuver known of X Discipline" you qualify to keep that maneuver, even if it's the only maneuver you know from that discipline.

23. - Top - End - #113

DwarfFighterGuy

A: Counters can be used when the die is rolled but before the results are revealed. It has to be this way because you can't counter a natural 20, they're still automatic hits.
    That is really wonky... So it's basically an opposed check that automatically fails on a 20. Why didn't you just use the Wall of Blades text instead? It doesn't work against Nat 20's because it is replacing your AC with your Attack Roll. This says nothing about failing against Nat 20's, just that if you beat the attack roll you automatically negate the attack.

The question you quoted my answer from boils down to "Can I use a maneuver I don't meet the prerequisites for to meet the prerequisites to take a maneuver I don't meet the prerequisites for in order to meet the prerequisites to take the first maneuver I don't meet the prerequisites for?" The answer to that is no. But once you meet the prerequisite "one maneuver known of X Discipline" you qualify to keep that maneuver, even if it's the only maneuver you know from that discipline.
    I know, I was just mentioning that you can, infact, know maneuvers with requirements that are basically meeting themselves, since you can swap lower level maneuvers for higher level ones and still meet all the known maneuver requirements.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

That is really wonky... So it's basically an opposed check that automatically fails on a 20. Why didn't you just use the Wall of Blades text instead? It doesn't work against Nat 20's because it is replacing your AC with your Attack Roll. This says nothing about failing against Nat 20's, just that if you beat the attack roll you automatically negate the attack.
    Because there's nothing specific to Intimidating Force that makes it work differently than other counters. It's the general rule for how all counters work, as detailed in the Systems and Use chapter of Path of War, including a sidebar that specifically calls out how they interact with Natural 20s.

I know, I was just mentioning that you can, infact, know maneuvers with requirements that are basically meeting themselves, since you can swap lower level maneuvers for higher level ones and still meet all the known maneuver requirements.
    Except that those are a very different set of circumstances from the ones the question I answered was asking about, and by conflating the two you confuse the issue instead of clarifying it. It wasn't a question about swapping maneuvers, it was a question about taking maneuvers for the first time at a high enough IL that you had to concern yourself with prerequisites and their restrictions on maneuver choice.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q: Path of War:

When exactly can you use a counter maneuver?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morrolan View Post
    Q: Path of War:

When exactly can you use a counter maneuver?
    Can you clarify this please? Do you mean when is it used in relation to the triggering effect or what effects trigger the counter or something else?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Can you clarify this please? Do you mean when is it used in relation to the triggering effect or what effects trigger the counter or something else?
    Sorry, but I find it hard to be more specific about this, because I've been struggling to understand counters. How is this:

Q: When, compared to the enemy's action, do counters occur? Does that depend on the counter, or is that always the same moment?

I'm asking this because some counters clearly state what happens, (such as Scarlet Throne's Scarlet Riposte) but others are a bit vague on the actions (Like Black Seraph's Vengeful Riposte), and I can't really find any general rulings on counters apart from the following:
    Counters are immediate actions that you attempt during an enemy's turn.
    Usually, your foe must make a specific action, such as an attack against you, for you to use a counter.
    But that doesn't say anything about when a counter happens. Before the enemy attack roll, between attack and damage roll, or after both? Let us say I am confused.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morrolan View Post
    Sorry, but I find it hard to be more specific about this, because I've been struggling to understand counters. How is this:

Q: When, compared to the enemy's action, do counters occur? Does that depend on the counter, or is that always the same moment?

I'm asking this because some counters clearly state what happens, (such as Scarlet Throne's Scarlet Riposte) but others are a bit vague on the actions (Like Black Seraph's Vengeful Riposte), and I can't really find any general rulings on counters apart from the following:

But that doesn't say anything about when a counter happens. Before the enemy attack roll, between attack and damage roll, or after both? Let us say I am confused.
    A: Well, I just answered this in post #112. In general, you make the counter after the attack is rolled, because as has been stated, a natural 20 is an automatic hit even against a counter. Some counters have different triggers though, so they will specify when they're used.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Psionics Unleashed

I have two questions about the interaction between Collective and Network powers that involve a choice, such as Animal Affinity (choose which ability score to affect).

For manifesting Personal powers on someone else: do you decide what benefit they get, or do they?

For using the Augment provided by Spirit of Many to choose additional targets: Do the choices have to be the same for every target? e.g. Everyone gets +4 to Strength? Or is it decided on an individual basis, so the wizard could take +4 to Intelligence while the barbarian goes for extra Strength?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Vitalist and healing undead -

So asked my GM if psychometabolism (Healing) powers (specifically for a Vitalist) allow me to heal undead (assuming they are in the collective). He had some good points as follows -

Hmm, I honestly don't know. The undead entry specifically says they can only be healed by negative energy, and Vitalist doesn't have that. Moreover something like Heal Injuries explicitly only works on living targets and requires a fort save, which means it's doubly ineffective against undead (they're immune to fort saves unless they target objects)... However, Spirit of Many says it works on targets normally immune, and it doesn't allow a save, which means it should bypass those restrictions, but undead are still technically only healed by negative energy which you're still not doing...

So basically, I'm not sure. Collective Healing specifically says the type of healing (positive, negative, etc.) is not changed, which would to me indicate that it isn't supposed to work, but it sort of clashes with Spirit of Many

Any offical/semi-offical input on this one?