New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Eloelle View Post
    Psionics Unleashed

I have two questions about the interaction between Collective and Network powers that involve a choice, such as Animal Affinity (choose which ability score to affect).

For manifesting Personal powers on someone else: do you decide what benefit they get, or do they?

For using the Augment provided by Spirit of Many to choose additional targets: Do the choices have to be the same for every target? e.g. Everyone gets +4 to Strength? Or is it decided on an individual basis, so the wizard could take +4 to Intelligence while the barbarian goes for extra Strength?
    I didn't know the answer to this so, I asked Andreas and his response was:

"The manifester chooses which ability score to increase, and it's the same for all. Imagine it similar to Mass Bulls Strength."

Quote Originally Posted by meat_shield View Post
    So asked my GM if psychometabolism (Healing) powers (specifically for a Vitalist) allow me to heal undead (assuming they are in the collective). He had some good points as follows -

Hmm, I honestly don't know. The undead entry specifically says they can only be healed by negative energy, and Vitalist doesn't have that. Moreover something like Heal Injuries explicitly only works on living targets and requires a fort save, which means it's doubly ineffective against undead (they're immune to fort saves unless they target objects)... However, Spirit of Many says it works on targets normally immune, and it doesn't allow a save, which means it should bypass those restrictions, but undead are still technically only healed by negative energy which you're still not doing...

So basically, I'm not sure. Collective Healing specifically says the type of healing (positive, negative, etc.) is not changed, which would to me indicate that it isn't supposed to work, but it sort of clashes with Spirit of Many

Any offical/semi-offical input on this one?
    Also spoke to the Boss on this one, as I wasn't sure.

Basically, just like the spell Infernal Healing, yes, you can do this. Spirit of Many gives the override on this, so you can use your abilities on the undead.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    A: Counters can be used when the die is rolled but before the results are revealed. It has to be this way because you can't counter a natural 20, they're still automatic hits.
    Yo.

I remember someone answered me somethin' different: that I could use a counter after learning the result. Perhaps 'm wrong but I just want to know what scenario is correct:

a) DM rolls against me. 15 on dice and gives me a total of 46 against my 45 AC. I decide to use a counter (that's what we are doing now, we're capable of seeing if using the counter MAY help).
    b) DM rolls against me. 15. He asks me if I want to use a counter. I say no and then hits me with a 46 against a 45 AC. I am unable to use a counter now.

EDIT:

If it's a) you will be wasting counters. Let's asume you believe enemy is powerful and rolls a 15 and you use your counter... The DM adds numbers and it's not gonna hit you and you just wasted a counter when enemy couldn't hit you anyways! This is somewhat awkward for Adamantine Shell (Iron Tortoise). Some counters allow you to hit back but I still feel it's somewhat "a wasted counter".

Thanks.
    Last edited by Fenryr; 2015-06-26 at 08:21 AM.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If I picked up Martial Training I - III from Path of War to get Battle Dragon's Stance, would that stance remove the penalty on spell combat for a Magus? Would it also give me the 1d6+ initiation modifier bonus on damage for "fighting with two weapons" while using spell combat?
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War

Are there any plans to allow Black Seraph/Silver Crane disciplines in addition to Golden Lion/Iron Tortoise ones for the prerequisites and maneuvers for the Battle Templar PrC? They seem to be pretty darn fitting.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_archduke View Post
    If I picked up Martial Training I - III from Path of War to get Battle Dragon's Stance, would that stance remove the penalty on spell combat for a Magus? Would it also give me the 1d6+ initiation modifier bonus on damage for "fighting with two weapons" while using spell combat?
    I'll respond with the answer that Dusk gave you already:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Nope, while spell combat works similarly to TWF, it isn't so Battle Dragon Stance does nothing. To be honest if you want to add some PoW to your Magus Scarlet Throne is better for Magus since both are focused on one-handed weapon maneuvers.
    Dusk is totally right. Throne is more up your alley, or Mithral Current from the Path of War: Expanded playtest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Path of War

Are there any plans to allow Black Seraph/Silver Crane disciplines in addition to Golden Lion/Iron Tortoise ones for the prerequisites and maneuvers for the Battle Templar PrC? They seem to be pretty darn fitting.
    At this time... no. Those two disciplines open up too many weird doors alignment wise which is why no one gets them as a default discipline base class wise. If you want them, then I'd suggest either trait/tradition on a warlord or zealot, or use the new ordained defender archetype to get them natively and then enter the PrC from there.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Path of War

How does a Harbinger's Dark Focus interacts with multiclass initiators, specifically would a Harbinger of at least 14th level be able to spend maneuvers readied from another class to initiate maneuvers from Dark Focus?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Path of War

Deadly agility gives dex to damage with certain weapons. Battle dragon stance can give 1d6+ initiation modifier to damage when dual wielding. If Battle Dragon Stance is picked up via Martial training III, then the initiation modifier is dexterity (because acrobatics is dex based). If you have both, and dual wield say kukris, would you get 1d6+(2x dex) to damage?
    3rd Place in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge II

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_archduke View Post
    Path of War

Deadly agility gives dex to damage with certain weapons. Battle dragon stance can give 1d6+ initiation modifier to damage when dual wielding. If Battle Dragon Stance is picked up via Martial training III, then the initiation modifier is dexterity (because acrobatics is dex based). If you have both, and dual wield say kukris, would you get 1d6+(2x dex) to damage?
    No. Paizo issued their FAQ on this, and the untyped bonuses from ability modifiers are treated as though they are a typed bonus (ability score), so you cannot benefit from the same ability score twice (unless one of the bonuses is specifically of a different type, like a competence bonus equal to your ability score bonus).

9. - Top - End - #129

ElfRangerGuy

But Deadly Agility is a replacer, not a bonus.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    But Deadly Agility is a replacer, not a bonus.
    That's irrelevant.

Here's the text of the feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Agility
    Benefit(s): You may add your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier when wielding a light weapon or a weapon that gains the benefits of the Weapon Finesse feat (such as the rapier) when determining additional damage inflicted upon a successful attack.
    Here are the normal rules for adding Strength to damage:
    When you hit with a melee or thrown weapon, including a sling, add your Strength modifier to the damage result. A Strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies on damage rolls made with a bow that is not a composite bow.
    Thus, with a weapon to which Deadly Agility is applicable, here are the rules for adding Dexterity to damage:
    When you hit with a melee weapon, add your Dexterity modifier to the damage result.
    And now the FAQ:
    Do ability modifiers from the same ability stack? For instance, can you add the same ability bonus on the same roll twice using two different effects that each add that same ability modifier?
    No. An ability bonus, such as "Strength bonus", is considered to be the same source for the purpose of bonuses from the same source not stacking. However, you can still add, for instance “a deflection bonus equal to your Charisma modifier” and your Charisma modifier. For this purpose, however, the paladin's untyped "bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws" from divine grace is considered to be the same as "Charisma bonus (if any)", and the same would be true for any other untyped "bonus equal to her [ability score] bonus" constructions.
    Deadly Agility changes the default rules for weapon damage such that you add your Dexterity modifier to damage; this bonus does not have a typing. Battle Dragon's Stance would in the context of our discussion add your Dexterity modifier to damage; this bonus also does not have a typing. There are two instances of "Dexterity modifier" being added to damage, and thus they are considered to be from the same source for stacking purposes. The RAW on this is very clear.

So no, you don't get double Dex to damage. Nor should you, to be honest. Thrashing Dragon has enough bonus damage to make TWF work just fine as long as you have sneak attack (or similar) and/or Piranha Strike. Sure, TWF has full-attack-dependency problems, but so does everyone who isn't a mounted charger.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-07-02 at 03:43 AM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Apologies for the double-post.

I have some questions about the Mystic and Animus augmentation of maneuvers.

1. When a Mystic spends Animus on a maneuver-specific augment (e.g. increasing Spark Strike's damage), do they also gain bonuses as if they'd spent that amount of Animus on the general augments, or must they be paid for separately?

2. Does the limit on per-maneuver Animus expenditure apply to the general augments and the maneuver-specific augments together, or does it apply to them separately? For example, can a 1st-level Mystic spend one point of Animus to increase the damage of Spark Strike and spend another point of Animus to get a +2 bonus on all d20 rolls made as part of the maneuver, or can they only spend one point of Animus per maneuver no matter how that Animus is spent?
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Psionics/Path of War:Expanded
    If you have an Aegis's Greater Extra Arms customization, while being in the Twin Thunders stance, do you gain the Multiweapon Fighting benefits instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting benefits? Also, does Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting allow for changing the Multiweapon Fighting prereqs to STR too?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Halfling in the Playground

Path of War: Expanded - More Thrashing Dragon Style shenanigans

A: A standard attack is an attack made as a standard action.
    I figure the answer is probably going to be "No," but would you be able to use Thrashing Dragon Style with Seize the Opportunity?

I am aware that Attack Actions are a specific type of Standard Action, and therefore this combination is unlikely to work, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)
    Last edited by ANSeranov; 2015-07-04 at 04:57 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    Temerith - (Brutal Stalker/Bushi) Stalker 7
    Karl von Ulmen - Zealot 6/Landsknecht 4
    Khron - Aegis (Host of Heroes) 4/Soulknife (Gifted Blade/Psychic Armory/War Soul) 4

Crystal Sentinel (PoW Aegis Archetype) - Work in Progress!

14. - Top - End - #134

ElfRangerGuy

Path of War

Q:
    If I get Martial Training or Advanced Study via Martial Flexibility, do I need to spend 10 minutes readying my newly acquired maneuvers? I can see it being logical with the latter, but it makes the former unusable too, as Martial Flexibility lasts only for a minute.
    A:
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Rules as written? Yes, you'd have to take 10 minutes.

That's totally lame and not fun.

I'd say a perfectly acceptable method is that those maneuvers come readied to you when you call them with Martial Flexibility, if your game would not be unbalanced by doing so. Check with your GM, but I personally don't see a problem with it.

-X

Path of War Expanded

Q:
    Does this ruling apply to Initiator’s Soul and even-numbered (these that grant maneuvers readied) Additional Maneuvers customizations obtained via Augment Suit?

15. - Top - End - #135

Psionics

[Mundane crystal] possesses the properties of a similar masterwork steel weapon or armor, except for visual appearance.
    How far does this go? Is a weapon made of mundane crystal vulnerable to rust monsters or to folugubs?

At 3rd level and every two levels thereafter, the cryptic's disrupt pattern deals an additional 1d6 points of damage. This additional damage is not multiplied on a critical hit or by using feats such as Vital Strike, but it is halved if the creature struck is not of the cryptic's active creature type.
    One of the implications here is that a cryptic can Vital Strike to deal multiplied base damage (1d6, plus possibly Intelligence?) if, for instance, they're using Channeled Disruption (as the Brutal Disruptor ability) or a set of pattern breaker's gloves. Is this how these abilities interact? If not, how should they?
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2015-07-06 at 10:17 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

RangerGuy

Path of War

Invulnerable Shell of the Iron Tortoise.

By initiating this counter, any and all damaging or harmful effects that could effect the initiator and any of his adjacent allies are instantly negated as he and his wards take shelter under his shield and unshakable will.
    Is Fog Cloud considered "harmful"? What about Greater Dispel Magic in Area Dispel?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ultimate Psionics - Tactician

Can a Tactician turn Telepathy on/off with a swift action like the Vitalist and Zealot?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War-Expanded
    Iron Pikeman's Attitude-Does this stance's armor category reduction also count for proficiency? (Namely, can a non-Vanguard Commander Warlord wear Heavy Armor with this stance and not take the penalties?)

19. - Top - End - #139

PirateGuy

Path of War- Expanded

Q: piercing thunders ultimate, the charge of the dread lancer targets 'all enemies caught in your path'. Does that mean only the enemies on the 5 ft squares i walk in or also the adjacent ones i threaten with my reach weapon?

Also, this being the go to place for all things DSP. Is this the right thread to put one of the writers stating if the whole scarlet throne allows a shield yes or no? Book says no, never versions say yes, i get confused, it's a mess.
    Last edited by Swaoeaeieu; 2015-07-07 at 04:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Psionics/Path of War:Expanded
    If you have an Aegis's Greater Extra Arms customization, while being in the Twin Thunders stance, do you gain the Multiweapon Fighting benefits instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting benefits? Also, does Prodigious Two-Weapon Fighting allow for changing the Multiweapon Fighting prereqs to STR too?
    Path of War

Path of War Expanded

Q:
    Does this ruling apply to Initiator’s Soul and even-numbered (these that grant maneuvers readied) Additional Maneuvers customizations obtained via Augment Suit?
    As it's an almost identical system, I'm going to say Yes. Elric may need to address this, so this is subject to change as the book has not been released officially.

Quote Originally Posted by Metool View Post
    Psionics

How far does this go? Is a weapon made of mundane crystal vulnerable to rust monsters or to folugubs?

One of the implications here is that a cryptic can Vital Strike to deal multiplied base damage (1d6, plus possibly Intelligence?) if, for instance, they're using Channeled Disruption (as the Brutal Disruptor ability) or a set of pattern breaker's gloves. Is this how these abilities interact? If not, how should they?
    1 - Crystal only gets eaten by our crystal-eating folugub. Sleep safely from the rusties.

2 - Disrupt Pattern can be confusing. You can Vital Strike the initial 1d6 + Int, critical hit with it, etc. It's the weapon for all intents and purposes. The increased disruption damage class feature is different and separate. Abilities like the cryptic's increased pattern disruption stuff is added AFTER Vital Strike happens. So if you Channel Disruption with your longsword into that poor fool (or just us normal disrupt pattern for that matter), the increased damage from increased disruption is not multiplied or altered by critical hits or feats like Vital Strike because the weapon is the delivery method for the attack; only the weapon or carrier for the extra damage multiplies. Similar to how maneuvers work in that. That make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Path of War

Invulnerable Shell of the Iron Tortoise.

Is Fog Cloud considered "harmful"? What about Greater Dispel Magic in Area Dispel?
    I don't have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronGolem View Post
    Ultimate Psionics - Tactician

Can a Tactician turn Telepathy on/off with a swift action like the Vitalist and Zealot?
    Zealot is based on Tactician for that stuff, so yes, they can.

Path of War-Expanded
    Iron Pikeman's Attitude-Does this stance's armor category reduction also count for proficiency? (Namely, can a non-Vanguard Commander Warlord wear Heavy Armor with this stance and not take the penalties?)
    Nope. You gotta be proficient to play the game - or in this case wear the armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    Path of War- Expanded

Q: piercing thunders ultimate, the charge of the dread lancer targets 'all enemies caught in your path'. Does that mean only the enemies on the 5 ft squares i walk in or also the adjacent ones i threaten with my reach weapon?

Also, this being the go to place for all things DSP. Is this the right thread to put one of the writers stating if the whole scarlet throne allows a shield yes or no? Book says no, never versions say yes, i get confused, it's a mess.
    It's a line attack, essentially. Any poor suckers within the 5-ft squares that make your path are hit, those along side are not (see Black Seraph level 9 for details on how to do that).

Shields are cool with Throne. Go nuts.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War-Expanded
    With the Agile Dancer trait, whenever there is an effect that gives a bonus to Acrobatics checks (such as Boots of Elvenkind or Fluctuation Movement-Air), is the bonus applied to Perform (Dance) when using it to replace an Acrobatics check?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Path of War-Expanded
    With the Agile Dancer trait, whenever there is an effect that gives a bonus to Acrobatics checks (such as Boots of Elvenkind or Fluctuation Movement-Air), is the bonus applied to Perform (Dance) when using it to replace an Acrobatics check?
    Yes. SPACES

23. - Top - End - #143

Psionics Expanded

Harness Power Stone: this Aegis customization explicitly says that the Manifester level it grants cannot be used to qualify for feats or PrC's that require a Manifester level. What about feats or prestige classes that don't require a Manifester level, but do require the ability to manifest a specific power? Let's say you had a Power Stone of Minor Metamorphosis and wanted to take Improved Metamorphosis. Is it possible?

24. - Top - End - #144

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    Psionics Expanded

Harness Power Stone: this Aegis customization explicitly says that the Manifester level it grants cannot be used to qualify for feats or PrC's that require a Manifester level. What about feats or prestige classes that don't require a Manifester level, but do require the ability to manifest a specific power? Let's say you had a Power Stone of Minor Metamorphosis and wanted to take Improved Metamorphosis. Is it possible?
    It doesn't look like it is.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War: Expanded
    When making Intimidate checks to oppose attack rolls from a creature (Such as from a variety of Black Seraph and Eternal Guardian counters), does a size difference modifier apply to the roll, should there be one (Between creature and intiator)?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Path of War-Expanded
    Yes.
    Does that mean that any bonuses you get directly to Perform (Dance) do NOT apply, or does it mean that you get both bonuses to Perform (Dance) AND bonuses to Acrobatics?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Path of War

Can a Desperado Warlord select Gunslinger deeds from some of the gunslinger archetypes with his Daring Grit class feature? For instance, if I wanted a musket using Desperado, could I select Fast Musket from the Musket Master archetype?

28. - Top - End - #148

Planetar

Can maneuvers and stances be used while raging, such as from barbarian levels, a skald's inspired rage ability, or the rage spell? I might be overlooking something in Path of War that says yes or no, but my gut says no... But Primal Fury would prove itself an exception.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Maneuvers aren't spells, and as such, they can be used in a rage.

30. - Top - End - #150

Planetar

But you also cannot use actions which require patience or concentration, or skills based off of Charisma, Dexterity, or Intelligence. Also, it says in Systems that each maneuver requires a certain amount of precision. I'd copy the relevant text, but my device is not cooperating at the moment.