New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Path of War:

Does flat damage added by maneuvers (such as Primal Wrath or Battle Dragon's Stance) get multiplied with a critical strike?
    Last edited by MilleniaAntares; 2015-07-28 at 10:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I think unless otherwise stated (like precision damage), flat bonuses always multiply on a crit.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Path of War, p. 31
    You can make a critical hit with a strike, but you do not multiply extra damage from a strike when calculating the critical hit damage.
    Searchable PDFs are great. I recommend getting ahold of one somehow. But then, this is also on the PFSRD; ctrl-F "critical", it's the fourth and fifth results.

There is, however, nothing about whether the extra damage from a boost, counter, or stance that provides extra damage is multiplied on a critical hit.

Path of War:

Is bonus damage (whether flat or rolled) from stances, counters, and boosts multiplied on a critical hit? The line "It is treated just as extra damage from another special ability would be (like deadly strike damage or damage from a flaming weapon)" from the same paragraph as I quoted above implies that such bonus damage is not, since boosts, counters, and stances all fall into the category of "another special ability", but the text is not entirely clear since the descriptions for boosts, counters, and stances lack similar clauses about not multiplying bonus damage.

ETA: Found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Path of War, p. 33
    you do not multiply the extra damage from a maneuver on a successful critical hit.
    It's in the description of touch-range maneuvers, but it does not state that it is a rule specific to touch maneuvers so it applies to all types of maneuvers.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-07-28 at 11:04 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Yo.

I remember someone answered me somethin' different: that I could use a counter after learning the result. Perhaps 'm wrong but I just want to know what scenario is correct:

a) DM rolls against me. 15 on dice and gives me a total of 46 against my 45 AC. I decide to use a counter (that's what we are doing now, we're capable of seeing if using the counter MAY help).
    b) DM rolls against me. 15. He asks me if I want to use a counter. I say no and then hits me with a 46 against a 45 AC. I am unable to use a counter now.

EDIT:

If it's a) you will be wasting counters. Let's asume you believe enemy is powerful and rolls a 15 and you use your counter... The DM adds numbers and it's not gonna hit you and you just wasted a counter when enemy couldn't hit you anyways! This is somewhat awkward for Adamantine Shell (Iron Tortoise). Some counters allow you to hit back but I still feel it's somewhat "a wasted counter".

Thanks.
    Bump. I'm sorry if it was answered already, couldn't find it.

Additionally, how does it work if DM rolls dice behind the screen or in PBP when asking "I rolled 15. Do you want to use a counter?" can potentially extend one round of combat by two days?

5. - Top - End - #215

Psionics Expanded

Does a Shielded Blade Soulknife's 2nd level blade skill granted by the Improved Shield ability count as the Blade Skill class ability?

The same question about the mind shield blade skill gained at 1st level.
    Last edited by Xerlith; 2016-02-21 at 05:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Path of War
    In the expanded system and use document, it says that the original classes can add one of two new disciplines to their list, then it goes to say that archetypes can add one of two (usually different) disciplines. Does this mean that (for example) a Dervish Defender Warder would add Eternal Guardian and her choice of Piercing Thunder or Riven Hourglass? Or is the option to select EG or RH meant to supersede the choice from base Warder?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Path of War
    In the expanded system and use document, it says that the original classes can add one of two new disciplines to their list, then it goes to say that archetypes can add one of two (usually different) disciplines. Does this mean that (for example) a Dervish Defender Warder would add Eternal Guardian and her choice of Piercing Thunder or Riven Hourglass? Or is the option to select EG or RH meant to supersede the choice from base Warder?

A: Per the Pow: E systems and use document:

When adding a new discipline to an existing class (stalker, warder, and warlord as well as with pathwalker psychic warriors and war soul soulknives), each class will give a choice of what new discipline to add to its list of available disciplines. In the case of archetypes (such as the soul hunter archetype for the stalker class), use the additions listed specifically for the archetype, not the base version of the class (in this above example, a soul hunter stalker would add Cursed Razor, and would not have the option to choose between Riven Hourglass or Tempest Gale).

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know how the hell did I miss that

Also new question, again for Path of War

Does the Agile Dancer replacement also counts for skill pre-requisite, so a character with the Agile Dancer trait be able to select the Monkey Lunge (pre-reqs: Acrobatics 1 rank) using her Perform Dance ranks?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I don't know how the hell did I miss that

Also new question, again for Path of War

Does the Agile Dancer replacement also counts for skill pre-requisite, so a character with the Agile Dancer trait be able to select the Monkey Lunge (pre-reqs: Acrobatics 1 rank) using her Perform Dance ranks?
    A: Well, by RAW the answer is yes. There may be an official Paizo FAQ that disputes this (in which case, go by that FAQ) but as Agile Dancer doesn't place limits on what uses of Acrobatics you can replace with Perform(Dance), it technically applies in any situation where you use Acrobatics.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

In Path of War, it says "Maneuvers performed with a favored weapon for the martial abilities' discipline gain a +2 competence bonus to the DC of the maneuver initiated (if applicable)."

Does this apply to stances as well as maneuvers? What defines "performed with a favored weapon," here? Would you have to have a stance that procs on an attack with the weapon, or would wielding it be enough?

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    In Path of War, it says "Maneuvers performed with a favored weapon for the martial abilities' discipline gain a +2 competence bonus to the DC of the maneuver initiated (if applicable)."

Does this apply to stances as well as maneuvers? What defines "performed with a favored weapon," here? Would you have to have a stance that procs on an attack with the weapon, or would wielding it be enough?

A:
    This is one of those cases where "stances" aren't "maneuvers," confusing I know. In this instance, a maneuver is a strike, boost or counter and a favored weapon means a weapon from one of the discipline's associated weapon groups.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post

A:
    This is one of those cases where "stances" aren't "maneuvers," confusing I know. In this instance, a maneuver is a strike, boost or counter and a favored weapon means a weapon from one of the discipline's associated weapon groups.
    Does this mean that Discipline Focus likewise doesn't add to the save DCs of stances (such as Elemental Nimbus in the Elemental Flux discipline, specifically)?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Firbolg in the Playground

Path of War
    Question on the Stalker Art Murderous Insight:

Murderous Insight (Su) The stalker designates his combat senses towards ending the lives of his opponents and gains momentary flashes of insight in how to best accomplish this. By spending one point of ki as a swift action, the stalker makes an attack and rolls twice for that attack and uses the better of the two results due to the stalker's precognitive abilities. This art has a duration of 1 + the stalker's Wisdom modifier in rounds.
    Does this affect all attacks made within 1+wis mod rounds, or the first attack made within 1+wis mod rounds? I lean towards the second, but the wording seems unclear.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    If a Soulknife places the Lucky enhancement on their mind blade, do they only get one reroll per day or do they get a new reroll each time they reform their mind blade (e.g. after it has left their hand without being thrown)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    This question is also relevant to the Soul Archer, because it creates new ammunition (which normally can be enchanted with Lucky for lots of rerolls).
    Bringing these forwards because they're very important things to know.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War: Expanded
    What Warder/Warlord archetypes can be taken with the Hussar template?
    Additionally, how does being mounted interact with Defensive Focus?
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2015-08-09 at 08:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Path of War: Expanded
    What Warder/Warlord archetypes can be taken with the Hussar template?
    Additionally, how does being mounted interact with Defensive Focus?
    A1: Archetypes list what they trade out for each ability they gain, and class templates list what abilities the class loses in exchange for the abilities of the class template. It's not hard to check.

A2: By RAW, you occupy every square that your mount does, so your Defensive Focus extends as though you were occupying 4+ squares. As far as I'm aware, there's no ruling from Paizo on how Combat Patrol interacts with mounts (Combat Patrol being the feat that Defensive Focus is based on), but given that the ability breaks down unless you either dismount or your mount can move with you, I'm going to say that you can have your mount take the movement for combat patrol, but you would still need to make the Attacks of Opportunity.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

Path of War

do maneuvers from the Silver Crane discipline count as Good for bypassing dr/good?

"The discipline of Silver Crane is to be considered a supernatural discipline and all abilities within are considered supernatural abilities and follow the rules and restrictions of such. All abilities in this discipline carry the[good]descriptor"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ultimate Psionics

Do feats such as Rapid Shot work on the Fire Lash ability of the Pyrokineticist because it is resolved as a ranged attack?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sorek View Post
    Path of War

do maneuvers from the Silver Crane discipline count as Good for bypassing dr/good?

"The discipline of Silver Crane is to be considered a supernatural discipline and all abilities within are considered supernatural abilities and follow the rules and restrictions of such. All abilities in this discipline carry the[good]descriptor"
    If the attack inflicts sacred damage (see Systems and Use section for further details), yes, as it is suffused with holy energies. Using maneuvers from Silver Crane is considered a good-aligned act, that's why it has the [Good] tag for its maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by ElderLucian View Post
    Ultimate Psionics

Do feats such as Rapid Shot work on the Fire Lash ability of the Pyrokineticist because it is resolved as a ranged attack?
    Yes, because strangely whips are treated as ranged weapons for some reason.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Firbolg in the Playground

My question seems to have been missed in the shuffle.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

21. - Top - End - #231

Planetar

Whips? Why would you say that? They are melee reach weapons, the most similarity being that by default they provoke AoOs when attacking. The ability's literature seems to be meshing both a unique ranged touch and and a whip into the same ability, though, so the FAQ is still valid.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2015-08-12 at 09:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Yes, because strangely whips are treated as ranged weapons for some reason.

-X
    Whips were ranged attacks in 3.0. 3.5 and pathfinder have whips as Melee reach weapons with 15' reach and various limitations as far as provoking and armored opponents(PF makes them somewhat usable with the Whip Mastery feat line)

Spoiler: 3.5 SRD
    Show
    A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can make trip attacks with a whip. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip to avoid being tripped.

When using a whip, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

Spoiler: PF SRD
    Show
    A whip deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don't threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon.

Weapon Feature(s): finesse, reach.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Path of War
    Question on the Stalker Art Murderous Insight:

Does this affect all attacks made within 1+wis mod rounds, or the first attack made within 1+wis mod rounds? I lean towards the second, but the wording seems unclear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    My question seems to have been missed in the shuffle.
    Apologies.

You may do it with the first attack made for that many rounds. So if you have a +3 Wisdom modifier, the 1st attack made each round for the next 4 rounds gains the benefits of murderous insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Whips? Why would you say that? They are melee reach weapons, the most similarity being that by default they provoke AoOs when attacking. The ability's literature seems to be meshing both a unique ranged touch and and a whip into the same ability, though, so the FAQ is still valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by phlidwsn View Post
    Whips were ranged attacks in 3.0. 3.5 and pathfinder have whips as Melee reach weapons with 15' reach and various limitations as far as provoking and armored opponents(PF makes them somewhat usable with the Whip Mastery feat line)

Spoiler: 3.5 SRD
    Show
    A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

You can make trip attacks with a whip. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip to avoid being tripped.

When using a whip, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

Spoiler: PF SRD
    Show
    A whip deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don't threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon.

Weapon Feature(s): finesse, reach.
    The thing is, is that is uses the language "just as if you had used a ranged weapon". That opens a big can of worms, unfortunately, and the rules and information on it aren't that clear, cut and dry. I also know there was a recent FAQ update for PF that changes some whip rules around.

I've seen it both ways to be honest. Fire Lash works exactly as a whip. If someone can find out how that exactly works, enlighten us all.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

24. - Top - End - #234

Planetar

If it works like a whip, nowhere should it say 'ranged touch attack' in the description. It's a whip that deals fire damage and targets touch, right?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    The thing is, is that is uses the language "just as if you had used a ranged weapon". That opens a big can of worms, unfortunately, and the rules and information on it aren't that clear, cut and dry. I also know there was a recent FAQ update for PF that changes some whip rules around.

I've seen it both ways to be honest. Fire Lash works exactly as a whip. If someone can find out how that exactly works, enlighten us all.

-X
    The 'as a ranged weapon' is in its own, single sentence paragraph that only applies to provoking AOO when attacking(Until you pick up Whip Mastery. Its an exception to the paragraph above it where it defines the whip as a melee reach weapon with 15' reach.

Here's the summary of whip: One-handed exotic Melee weapon, with disarm, nonlethal, reach and trip. Exceptions given in the weapon desc are as follows: No damage to targets with an armor bonus of +1 or a NA bonus of +3 (or greater). 15 foot reach that does *not* threaten, and can attack adjacent targets. Its provokes AoO when attacking, as per ranged weapons. It is finessable even though it is not a light weapon.

Whip Mastery: Removes provoking AOO, allows lethal damage, cancels the no damage to armored targets.

Improved Whip Mastery: Threaten your natural reach +5' with the whip. Also grab objects with the whip, and use it as a grapple hook.

Greater Whip Mastery: Never drop the whip on failed disarm or trip. Grapple targets with the whip

26. - Top - End - #236
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Path of War

Are the 5th level stances or stance progressions correct? All of the paths that have 5th level stances don't have 4th level. As it stands now you either have to take Advanced study or wait until the 11th level stance gain, when 6th level stances come online. Seems odd to me.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corrik View Post
    Path of War

Are the 5th level stances or stance progressions correct? All of the paths that have 5th level stances don't have 4th level. As it stands now you either have to take Advanced study or wait until the 11th level stance gain, when 6th level stances come online. Seems odd to me.
    A: This will be part of future errata, but all initiator base classes should use the stance progression found in the mystic playtest document. When we finally get the chance to fix things up in PoW, those classes will reflect this change and we will likely be moving stances around so that they are more standardized in their level.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

Path of War Expanded

God of the Hourglass stance: " In addition, you may take an additional move or standard action during your turn."

Can additional swift or immediate actions be gained with this stance? Both represent a smaller usage of time than a move or standard action.

Maybe the stance could be re-written to say : In addition you may take one additional swift, immediate, move or standard action.

I can think of no reason to exclude swifts or immediates while allowing move or standard actions

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sorek View Post
    Path of War Expanded

God of the Hourglass stance: " In addition, you may take an additional move or standard action during your turn."

Can additional swift or immediate actions be gained with this stance? Both represent a smaller usage of time than a move or standard action.

Maybe the stance could be re-written to say : In addition you may take one additional swift, immediate, move or standard action.

I can think of no reason to exclude swifts or immediates while allowing move or standard actions
    Because that would be the equivalent of dual strike+dual boost/dual counter. Giving an extra swift for a maneuver that costs a swift means the maneuver costs nothing and isn't OK.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Because that would be the equivalent of dual strike+dual boost/dual counter. Giving an extra swift for a maneuver that costs a swift means the maneuver costs nothing and isn't OK.
    Currently the stance allows an extra move or standard action.

Which means the character can
    a) full attack +move or strike + 1 counter or boost
    b) 2 strikes + move + 1 counter or boost

With my suggested change "character gains 1 and only 1 additional swift immediate move or standard action "
    a) full attack +move or strike + counter or boost
    b) 2 strikes + move + 1 counter or boost
    c) full attack +2 counters or boosts
    d) 1 strike +2 counters or boosts

I understands that adding options is adding power, but I just don't see the logic of excluding the immediate or swifts as they represent a smaller usage of the characters time than a standard.

Unless you are saying that using 2 boosts or 2 counters in a round is more powerful than using 2 strikes.

Are 2 boosts or counters in a round more powerful than 2 strikes? If so then the stance should stay as is because it is powerful already.

"Giving an extra swift for a maneuver that costs a swift means the maneuver costs nothing and isn't OK."
    It only costs a swift to begin the stance. If you are already in it it costs nothing to maintain. So I don't understand what you are saying there.

"Because that would be the equivalent of dual strike+dual boost/dual counter."

It currently is the equivalent of dual strike. The proposed change would make it dual strike or dual counter/boost. Not dual strike + dual boost/counter

I view an additional standard action as more powerful than an additional swift or immediate. But I may be wrong.

Just trying to help out with a product that I thoroughly enjoy.