New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ

Path of War

a) Elemental Destruction Ring maneuver from Elemental Flux. Is the initator immune to their own damage?

b) Warpath Follower Inquisitor. Should "Slayer" (level 17) be added to the list of what the Inquisitor loses?

c) Warpath Follower Inquisitor. Inquisitor loses Judgment, Second Judgment, Third Judgment and True Judgmen. I know what's the intention but I want to be sure:

Alternate Class Features

If an archetype replaces a class feature that is part of a series of improvements or additions to a base ability (such as a fighter's weapon training or a ranger's favored enemy), the next time the character would gain that ability, it counts as the lower-level ability that was replaced by the archetype. In effect, all abilities in that series are delayed until the next time the class improves that ability.
    What about Judgment 2/3/4/5/6/7 per day? Do they still lose all of 'em?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Bringing these forward for a second time because they still haven't been answered yet and are very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    If a Soulknife places the Lucky enhancement on their mind blade, do they only get one reroll per day or do they get a new reroll each time they reform their mind blade (e.g. after it has left their hand without being thrown)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    This question is also relevant to the Soul Archer, because it creates new ammunition (which normally can be enchanted with Lucky for lots of rerolls).
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2015-08-18 at 04:01 AM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Path of War

a) Elemental Destruction Ring maneuver from Elemental Flux. Is the initiator immune to their own damage?
    I'll leave it to Elric for Warpaths but no, you don't suffer damage from your own maneuver.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    If a Soulknife places the Lucky enhancement on their mind blade, do they only get one reroll per day or do they get a new reroll each time they reform their mind blade (e.g. after it has left their hand without being thrown)?
    Per day - it would be grossly overpowered any other way and that subverts the way the enchantment works otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    This question is also relevant to the Soul Archer, because it creates new ammunition (which normally can be enchanted with Lucky for lots of rerolls).
    Treat lucky as if the "bow" had it (since soul archer specifically calls out that ammo create is fired as if from a composite bow, so this "bow" would imbue the enhancements to its ammo), not the ammo. Again - absurd amounts of re-rolls subverts the enchantment into imbalanced mechanics.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't seem to find this anywhere, which may just be me being blind, so I'm gonna ask.

Path of War

Does using a Barbarian's Rage class feature prohibit you from initiating maneuvers and stances?
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    I can't seem to find this anywhere, which may just be me being blind, so I'm gonna ask.

Path of War

Does using a Barbarian's Rage class feature prohibit you from initiating maneuvers and stances?
    A: No, it does not. It's been asked before, but there will be a section addressing it in PoW:E.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

A: No, it does not. It's been asked before, but there will be a section addressing it in PoW:E.
    OK. I'm just bad at finding things pertinent to my situation, so I felt that asking would be easier than screwing around for half an hour trying to find the answer. Thanks for the response.
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Is there any point in writing tactical acumen down on my hawkguard warder's sheet? Hawkguards will almost always have more Dex than Int (outside of some method to use Int for atttack), and the archetype does not seem to replace it.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Is there any point in writing tactical acumen down on my hawkguard warder's sheet? Hawkguards will almost always have more Dex than Int (outside of some method to use Int for atttack), and the archetype does not seem to replace it.
    I wrote it down. I'm pumping my INT a bit higher than my dex on my Hawkguard because Tempest Gale stance gives INT to damage with ranged weapons.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

I wrote it down. I'm pumping my INT a bit higher than my dex on my Hawkguard because Tempest Gale stance gives INT to damage with ranged weapons.
    Ah, haven't gotten that high yet, just got permission to retrain into tempest gale. Fair point, though you still need to hit for the damage to matter, I suppose on standard action strikes that isn't as much of a problem since you aren't eating rapid shot and iterative penalties. Not going to be a big difference unless you are using firearms though, I would imagine.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Ah, haven't gotten that high yet, just got permission to retrain into tempest gale. Fair point, though you still need to hit for the damage to matter, I suppose on standard action strikes that isn't as much of a problem since you aren't eating rapid shot and iterative penalties. Not going to be a big difference unless you are using firearms though, I would imagine.
    The only time I miss is when I'm using Horizon Wind Lancet.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Does a Zweihander Sentinel's Armament Shield benefit from the weapon's magical enhancements? If not, can it be enhanced separately?
    Incredible avatar made by Ceika.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taveena View Post
    Does a Zweihander Sentinel's Armament Shield benefit from the weapon's magical enhancements? If not, can it be enhanced separately?
    Yes, and it can be TWFed with. I asked this one on the DSP site and they answered it a while ago.

Path of War
    Question, when a maneuver replaces attack rolls/saving throws with a skill check, do they threaten crit on the usual range?
    In addition, do they fail on a natural one?((Or auto succeed on a nat 20?))

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Yes, and it can be TWFed with. I asked this one on the DSP site and they answered it a while ago.

Path of War
    Question, when a maneuver replaces attack rolls/saving throws with a skill check, do they threaten crit on the usual range?
    In addition, do they fail on a natural one?((Or auto succeed on a nat 20?))
    A: They threaten the weapon's normal range, as that's a quality of the weapon itself. They do not auto-succeed or auto-fail however, as that's a property of attack rolls, not skill rolls. At least that's the RAW anyway.

14. - Top - End - #254

A: They threaten the weapon's normal range, as that's a quality of the weapon itself. They do not auto-succeed or auto-fail however, as that's a property of attack rolls, not skill rolls. At least that's the RAW anyway.
    That's not actually true. I think it's a good ruling, but the reasoning is wrong - critical hits are specific to attack rolls:

Quote Originally Posted by The CRB
    When you make an attack roll and get a natural 20 (the d20 shows 20), you hit regardless of your target's Armor Class, and you have scored a "threat," meaning the hit might be a critical hit (or "crit"). To find out if it's a critical hit, you immediately make an attempt to "confirm" the critical hit—another attack roll with all the same modifiers as the attack roll you just made. If the confirmation roll also results in a hit against the target's AC, your original hit is a critical hit. (The critical roll just needs to hit to give you a crit, it doesn't need to come up 20 again.) If the confirmation roll is a miss, then your hit is just a regular hit.

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Precision damage (such as from a rogue's sneak attack class feature) and additional damage dice from special weapon qualities (such as flaming) are not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

Increased Threat Range

Sometimes your threat range is greater than 20. That is, you can score a threat on a lower number. In such cases, a roll of lower than 20 is not an automatic hit. Any attack roll that doesn't result in a hit is not a threat.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Another question!

Path of War

With the Dragon Fury abilities 'Sharp Fang' and 'Vicious Fang', weapons are treated as if they are held in one hand (Sharp Fang) or two hands (Vicious Fang) for the purposes of Damage Bonuses from Power Attack. Does this also apply to regular damage, such as from gaining 1.5x STR to damage while wielding a weapon two-handed?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256

MonkGuy

Several maneuvers involve charges - for example Panthera on the Hunt grants a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage when you charge and Momentum Crash grants a +10 damage bonus. How do these maneuvers interact with Pounce? Are the bonuses applied to all attacks, or just the first one?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    Another question!

Path of War

With the Dragon Fury abilities 'Sharp Fang' and 'Vicious Fang', weapons are treated as if they are held in one hand (Sharp Fang) or two hands (Vicious Fang) for the purposes of Damage Bonuses from Power Attack. Does this also apply to regular damage, such as from gaining 1.5x STR to damage while wielding a weapon two-handed?
    A: No, the ability does exactly what it states it does. It gives you better returns on your Power Attacks with the weapons you're wielding. That's it.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Path of War

Does Abyssal Lance (and similar maneuvers) count as a thrown weapon?

I'm assuming no, because it's effectively a spell effect, but I promised one of my players I'd ask. Specifically, this is for the effect of Belt of Mighty Hurling.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Path of War: Expanded

Referring to the Crimson Countess archetype of the Harbinger. Is the damage from Crimson Claim or the Drain ability of Sanguine Empowerment suppose to bypass damage reduction?
    If a sword had memory, it might be grateful to the forge fire, but never fond of it.

Homebrew
    [WIP] Scaled Tyrant - Path of War Dragon based discipline.

Campaigns I am in:
    We Be Best Goblins! as Ragnok the Titleless
    Land of the Endless Sky as Azrael (previously Nualia)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kudaku View Post
    Several maneuvers involve charges - for example Panthera on the Hunt grants a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage when you charge and Momentum Crash grants a +10 damage bonus. How do these maneuvers interact with Pounce? Are the bonuses applied to all attacks, or just the first one?
    Well lessee here...

Momentum Crash
    Discipline: Primal Fury (Boost); Level: 2
    Initiation Action: 1 swift action
    Range: Personal
    Target: One attack
    Duration: Instant

By putting his fury into a charging attack, the disciple is capable of using the momentum of his charge to increase his killing power with a twist of his body upon connecting. Upon a successful charge attack, the initiator's charge attack inflicts an additional 10 points of damage in addition to the normal +2 to hit.
    So it does not interact with pounce after the first attack.

Where as...
    Panthera on the Hunt
    Discipline: Primal Fury (Strike); Level: 1
    Initiation Action: 1 full-round action
    Range: Melee attack
    Target: One creature
    Duration: Instant

With a deep breath and the tightening of honed muscles, the Primal Fury disciple may launch off into a lightning-fast charge. The initiator initiating this maneuver gains +2 circumstance bonus to attack and damage rolls on his charge attack, and ignores attacks of opportunity from moving through threatened squares.
    Would be pro-NAFTA on the whole pounce thing, granting its effect on each attack of the pounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilorin Lorati View Post
    Path of War

Does Abyssal Lance (and similar maneuvers) count as a thrown weapon?

I'm assuming no, because it's effectively a spell effect, but I promised one of my players I'd ask. Specifically, this is for the effect of Belt of Mighty Hurling.
    That'd be a no, but good question!

Quote Originally Posted by CGNefarious View Post

Referring to the Crimson Countess archetype of the Harbinger. Is the damage from Crimson Claim or the Drain ability of Sanguine Empowerment suppose to bypass damage reduction?
    It is intended to, yes.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

21. - Top - End - #261

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    *clarification*
    Thanks! Can't believe I missed the limiter on Momentum Crash.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

Two separate questions.

I expect this might be an oversight, but while the Aegis customization Initiator's Soul says you can't learn maneuvers higher than 6th level with it, it doesn't make a reference to the 6-level maneuver progression table like the rest of the expanded archetypes do.
    Does this mean that at say, Aegis 5, you can use customizations to learn some 3rd level maneuvers at the same level a full initiator class would, since Aegis levels are full initiator levels?

Path of War
    This one's probably been answered already but I can't find it: Is there official word on how pathfinder's retraining rules work with maneuvers?
    Last edited by Mezzaluna; 2015-08-26 at 05:24 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzaluna View Post
    Two separate questions.

I expect this might be an oversight, but while the Aegis customization Initiator's Soul says you can't learn maneuvers higher than 6th level with it, it doesn't make a reference to the 6-level maneuver progression table like the rest of the expanded archetypes do.
    Does this mean that at say, Aegis 5, you can use customizations to learn some 3rd level maneuvers at the same level a full initiator class would, since Aegis levels are full initiator levels?

If it's not listed there, we'll need to clarify that it uses the standard table for level limits per normal initiator archetypes for base classes - it's not intended as a fast advancement archetype. Please check your level limits there.

Path of War
    This one's probably been answered already but I can't find it: Is there official word on how pathfinder's retraining rules work with maneuvers?
    There isn't, but I'd say retraining maneuvers (stances included) would be similar to retraining a spell and to use that math there. So I guess now there is an official word on it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

24. - Top - End - #264

RedSorcererGirl

Path of War:

At 10th level, her defensive focus improves further, causing the ground within her melee reach to be treated as if it were difficult terrain, hampering her foes' movement around him. If a foe tries to move through a space within her reach, the movement through those squares costs double (x2). Additionally, while using her defensive focus to make an attack of opportunity, her movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Does the difficult terrain within melee reach apply only when using Defensive Focus as a full-round action, or is it an always-on addition like Combat Reflexes?
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

25. - Top - End - #265

ElfRangerGuy

Ultimate Psionics - War Mind

How does Sweeping Strike interact with maneuvers?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

This might be because I am kind of new to this but does the Seize the Opportunity feat allow you to use a strike on an AoO?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniaAntares View Post
    Path of War:

Does the difficult terrain within melee reach apply only when using Defensive Focus as a full-round action, or is it an always-on addition like Combat Reflexes?
    A: Only while defensive focus is active.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Ultimate Psionics - War Mind

How does Sweeping Strike interact with maneuvers?
    A: Short answer? It doesn't. Strikes are their own standard action, not an attack action.

Quote Originally Posted by ElderLucian View Post

This might be because I am kind of new to this but does the Seize the Opportunity feat allow you to use a strike on an AoO?
    A: Strikes are a standard action to initiate, not an attack action so Seize the Opportunity does not allow you to use a strike on an attack of opportunity.

28. - Top - End - #268

A: Short answer? It doesn't. Strikes are their own standard action, not an attack action.
    Sweeping Strikes doesn't specify the attack action though, just "each melee attack".

It even says afterwards that it works on any melee attack.

29. - Top - End - #269

Q: [Dreamscarred Press General] As of 2015 August 29th, what are the upcoming DSP products and what timeline are we looking at for their full release?

((I ask because it seems there are a whole lot of content being made and I am sure some of it I have not heard of))

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squiggit View Post
    Sweeping Strikes doesn't specify the attack action though, just "each melee attack".

It even says afterwards that it works on any melee attack.
    The strike is delivered through the medium of the attack, but for example, touch spells are melee attacks too. By that merit, if you had sweeping strikes and wanted to cast a shocking grasp you'd hit both targets? No, the spell specifies it affects one target. Same goes for maneuvers. They're mutually exclusive. At loosest interpretation I'd say that your normal melee attack could hit both but the maneuver only effects the intended target, not both. Boosts would work though *scratches chin* Yeah boosts would work.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits: