Page 1 of 43 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise OOC VII

Welcome to the SEVENTH of what might be the penultimate or final OOC thread of Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise!

IC 1 IC thread 2 IC 3
    IC 4 IC 5
    OOC 1 OOC 2 OOC 3 OOC 4
    OOC 5 OOC 6
    Here are the characters:

Athedia: The Badger

Silverraptor: Sora Aria
    22,500 EXP

Draconi Redfir: Elsee Spiriteye
    21,000 EXP

Super Dark: Surdrak
    21,500 EXP

CoffeeIncluded: Jadeite Nocrius
    22,500 EXP

Dusk Eclipse: Artorias Kaathe
    23,000 EXP

Former Player:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devmaar: Alim Tamana
    15,000 EXP
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2015-06-10 at 09:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Aequar: Runite's Rise OOC VII

Just popping in to subscribe.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Personally i'm kinda a middle ground. I tend to pick a character concept like say... "Bard that specializes in sonic spells, weilds a keytar axe, and wants to build golems" and work from there. I know he'll need a high charisma and strength to cast the spells and use his axe, a moderate intelligent to make the golems, but by now his Dex and Wis are likely suffering, so \because of that, he's likely pretty clumsy, and doesn't make very good decisions, etc.

I make a concept, wich i use the mechanics to build, and then i use the resulting mechanics to flesh out more of the character.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd also suggest putting this OOC thread in your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Good thing Natasha is a woman. So asking for directions should be no problems for her.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    We should probably avoid playing in each others games then. I don't think we would mesh well. I was thinking along the lines of Parkinson's or something. People have and survive with it yes, there is no shame in it. But for the character she is terrified of what it means for her once she is older. She might not even have it, but that fear drives her. And I actually want to play this character now. *Adds another character to the list*
    We have been playing in the same for over a year and we haven't had big problems have we? Anyway I'll drop this, because I don't want to cause an troubles.

Oh and just a minor update on the build, due some wording changes made by DSP's dev team my trick went from being easy to use and effective to "why bother?" I'm two for two now.
    Just call me Dusk

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    We have been playing in the same for over a year and we haven't had big problems have we? Anyway I'll drop this, because I don't want to cause an troubles.

Oh and just a minor update on the build, due some wording changes made by DSP's dev team my trick went from being easy to use and effective to "why bother?" I'm two for two now.
    I meant as DM since we have conflicting priorities. I think you are a great player, and I love being in a game with you. I just don't know how we would get along with each other running the game.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!
    Good Friends, Great Axes OOC and IC
    New Friends, No Axes OOC and IC
    Maps: Map(GFGA) Map(NFNA) Map (Turning the Tide)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Dusk, can I ask you about your other game? The player who filled in for you as DM seems to have mysteriously stopped posting and we were wondering if you'd like to continue being the DM for your campaign again. (Since we are on the topic of DMing and games)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Yes, but it's entirely possible to go the other way.

For example, I was looking at races and I decided that it would be interesting to pull off a Halfling archer barbarian, since halflings get a bonus to dex. Yes, I was summarily informed of the terrible, awful flaws with this plan, but with enough number crunching and feats, I had a workable concept.

Still, I had filled out the entire sheet and was shopping for items before I really knew who this character was (Mage Hands and marbles tend to be a good starting point, I find).

Personally, yes, I like to start with an overarching concept, but then the feats, skills, and items that a character has help to tell the story and create a personality.

But I suppose this is all just personal preference.
    An archer halfling barbarian is pretty workable, we can start with Jungle Halfling for poison use, and instead of normal barbarian we can use the whirling frenzy variant to get +str + dex instead of +str + con and an extra attack on fullround attacks, that should be enough to start with a workable halfling barbarian archer. While not every concept is strong out of the box, in 3.5 (and PF I guess) it is possible to make it workable.

(Ask the others, I always get like this when someone comments something like that).

I meant as DM since we have conflicting priorities. I think you are a great player, and I love being in a game with you. I just don't know how we would get along with each other running the game.
    Thank you, that is really nice to hear; and I guess it is possible we wouldn't really mesh from the other side of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey Dusk, can I ask you about your other game? The player who filled in for you as DM seems to have mysteriously stopped posting and we were wondering if you'd like to continue being the DM for your campaign again. (Since we are on the topic of DMing and games)
    I'm really sorry Silver, but I don't think I would be able to DM right now, I have a lot of things I need to get done this summer and sadly DM'ing isn't a priority right now.
    Just call me Dusk

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Coffee- Here's the link to the sheet. I haven't leveled her up yet, due to work and having two papers to finish, but I should be able to do so tonight. I'm thinking the next level will probably be rogue, since I don't have access to many books.

Good thing Natasha is a woman. So asking for directions should be no problems for her.
    Haha...I suppose that's true! It's the most rational option.

An archer halfling barbarian is pretty workable, we can start with Jungle Halfling for poison use, and instead of normal barbarian we can use the whirling frenzy variant to get +str + dex instead of +str + con and an extra attack on fullround attacks, that should be enough to start with a workable halfling barbarian archer. While not every concept is strong out of the box, in 3.5 (and PF I guess) it is possible to make it workable.

(Ask the others, I always get like this when someone comments something like that).
    I actually went with the ferocity variant from Cityscape(It's also +str, +dex)once someone tipped me off to its existence, although I did stay away from poisons as they seemed complex.

EDIT: And I forgot to give Coffee the link. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=237703
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2015-06-10 at 06:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair to Natasha, my sister and I nearly did that exact thing in Bucharest.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

So i made a character.

What i did: Numbered all the PHB races, rolled a dice.

Gnome.

Numbered all the PHP classes, rolled a dice.

Cleric.

Numbered every letter of the alphabet, rolled a d12 for first name, and d10 for last name.

Roled a D(alphabet number) for each letter.

Yvjiuxoork Vnapfnt

Rolled a D2, 1 for male, 2 for female.

Female.

Numbered off all the base stats, rolled wich one to edit next
    rolled a d2 to see if i should increase or decrease them
    Rolled a D# of points i had left/could reduce by,

Str: 7
    Dex: 9
    Con: 17
    Int: 9
    Wis: 16
    Cha: 14

Rolled for weapons, armor, magic items, and plan on doing the same for mundane items and spells.

Yvjiuxoork Vnapfnt, the female gnome cleric of Cayden Cailean. the god of freedom, travel, and chaos. She has a trusty set of dice she uses to dictate all her actions, wich direction does she move? Roll. How far? Roll. Does she slap this person she just met upside the head or shake their hand? Roll.

With her trusty +2 anarchaic longspear and +1 glamored wooden armor, she travels the land completely chaotically, following the word of her god in the name of freedom and chaos, laws are boring, who wants to do the same thing over and over again!? it's so much more fun to be spontainious and in the moment! i'm going to *Rolls* Punch that *Rolls* Tree!

Edit: okay i lied. picking and choosing traits, feats, skills, and probably spells. got a good feel for her now at least!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2015-06-11 at 12:27 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Even though it was a joke, playing a character like that would be hilarious, for a one-off at least. Axe, remember you telling me about that coin-flip thing? I pictured the above.

14. - Top - End - #14

Oh my god. If I ever do some goofy, silly one-shot or short campaign you have my full and eager permission to play that character.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Oh my god. If I ever do some goofy, silly one-shot or short campaign you have my full and eager permission to play that character.
    I am going to hold you to this.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I have an idea of a character I want to make and play with. I just don't quite know how I would build him, class wise and such.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Having already played with a similar character I can safely say it becomes annoying quite quickly. Sure for a one-shot adventure it can be hilarious, but in a game.... ugh, bad memories.
    Just call me Dusk

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

Even though it was a joke, playing a character like that would be hilarious, for a one-off at least. Axe, remember you telling me about that coin-flip thing? I pictured the above.
    Spoiler: Long rant about a previous game (ignore)
    Show

(Note: the coin-flip was an online game rather like this, except no dice, only coins. A RPG for people who didn't know DnD existed/ is cool)

At times... a little bit. Sometimes players would drop in and out, and the problem was we had a rule: EVERYTHING written in the thread becomes instantly canon.

Accidentally wrote "pane" instead of "pain"? As long as it changed the meaning of the sentence, now your character is being smacked with a window.

Little brother grabbed the computer and wrote that a skeleton ran in playing queen's "We Will Rock You" on the guitar? Well, that totally happened during a tense hostage negotiation. (Things went badly.)

accidentally sent a message that reads "huifsbiogbidyhb999aenjlf;;?" Congratulations, you're speaking amazonian. Post a translation soon or another character (who has been established to speak such language) will do it for you.

Random posting error that cut off your post halfway? You've just been interrupted by the next poster.

Double post? "Stop repeating yourself, Sven!"

It added a bit of unpredictability.

And the weird part is, we somehow managed to have quite a epic plot in the end. Everyone played a hero and a villain, and traded off describing the scenery.

I still remember the very last post... the last day of class, senior year. My villain accidentally goaded the one pacifist character into killing her, the only violent act that character had undertaken all game. It was the most chilling thing I've ever read online. Spend two years getting to know a character, relying on them to be the voice of reason, and for the last thing... they snap.

And the game ends.

(It was the best ending. Took two years of patience on Apple's part. *pride in fellow player*)

Having already played with a similar character I can safely say it becomes annoying quite quickly. Sure for a one-shot adventure it can be hilarious, but in a game.... ugh, bad memories.
    Hm... too much chaos might be a little rough to play. I, personally, wouldn't do it for more than a one-off, although I'd bring the character in as a minor NPC if I GM'd later.

Draconi: That character sounds like a lot of fun in the short-term!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Surdrak is pretty much my only complex character, the rest were cardboard one-notes.

Looking at my mythweavers sheet page, I need to get out of the 90s

Edit: Nothing against cardboard though! Surdrak was one before I relized how stupid his whole concept was.

Maybe the character can grow to relize how some planning doesnt limit freedom or somthing. Arcs are great.
    Last edited by super dark33; 2015-06-12 at 03:24 AM.
    Avatar by me auld friend and DM CoffeeIncluded
    Shqipper supreme. Purple Watchmaker of Light. Master class Thinkamancer. Infected with Rash Plague. 21st century's Charlmagne.
    Erudite Dudebro. King in Yellow. Level 20 Omnistalt everything. Prince of Void. 'The Fox'. Perched upon the very crucifex of Oblivion.
    Anxioused Aghast. Multipurpose Master at arms. Not a Vampire. Disaster Master: Shademaster. 10/10 on Auto. Punchbeef. Here comes a beautiful boy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Spoiler: Long rant about a previous game (ignore)
    Show

(Note: the coin-flip was an online game rather like this, except no dice, only coins. A RPG for people who didn't know DnD existed/ is cool)

At times... a little bit. Sometimes players would drop in and out, and the problem was we had a rule: EVERYTHING written in the thread becomes instantly canon.

Accidentally wrote "pane" instead of "pain"? As long as it changed the meaning of the sentence, now your character is being smacked with a window.

Little brother grabbed the computer and wrote that a skeleton ran in playing queen's "We Will Rock You" on the guitar? Well, that totally happened during a tense hostage negotiation. (Things went badly.)

accidentally sent a message that reads "huifsbiogbidyhb999aenjlf;;?" Congratulations, you're speaking amazonian. Post a translation soon or another character (who has been established to speak such language) will do it for you.

Random posting error that cut off your post halfway? You've just been interrupted by the next poster.

Double post? "Stop repeating yourself, Sven!"

It added a bit of unpredictability.

And the weird part is, we somehow managed to have quite a epic plot in the end. Everyone played a hero and a villain, and traded off describing the scenery.

I still remember the very last post... the last day of class, senior year. My villain accidentally goaded the one pacifist character into killing her, the only violent act that character had undertaken all game. It was the most chilling thing I've ever read online. Spend two years getting to know a character, relying on them to be the voice of reason, and for the last thing... they snap.

And the game ends.

(It was the best ending. Took two years of patience on Apple's part. *pride in fellow player*)

Hm... too much chaos might be a little rough to play. I, personally, wouldn't do it for more than a one-off, although I'd bring the character in as a minor NPC if I GM'd later.

Draconi: That character sounds like a lot of fun in the short-term!
    The thing is that that character came into a campaign that had been running for maybe a year and a half or two, characters, motivations, etc. were all established when he came in, and the reason he did that was and pretty much "fur the lulz", which again can work in certain situations. Frankly I think the only reason said character was even allowed into the game was because the player was the younger brother-in-law of the DM's son.

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Surdrak is pretty much my only complex character, the rest were cardboard one-notes.

Looking at my mythweavers sheet page, I need to get out of the 90s

Edit: Nothing against cardboard though! Surdrak was one before I relized how stupid his whole concept was.

Maybe the character can grow to relize how some planning doesnt limit freedom or somthing. Arcs are great.
    Don't this the 90's! They were awesome radical.
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2015-06-12 at 12:37 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

21. - Top - End - #21

hey I was born in the 90s! They were defintely radical. though I agree, such a character would only e good in a humorous one-shot or something. But in that one shot it would probably be hilarious.

And Superdark, most people start out with cringingly bad cardboard characters. Take it as a sign that you've improved!

So, what are you all going to do now IC? And how's everyone's weekend looking? Mine will be full of biking and beaches and kayaking and swimming if it stays nice and hot!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

IC I don't know, I mean Artorias can definitely crash in at this family's home, but that would put them into danger, specially considering the little tidbits he could eavesdrop. Another option could be contacting lady Deidre, but that wouldn't look good at all.

As for my weekend I don't know yet, I texted some friends to see if they wanted to go watch Jurassic World, but they haven't answered back so.
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2015-06-12 at 03:37 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Weekend: Bleigh

IC: After whatever touching farewell Surdrak is going to fly off somwhere and cry.
    Shqipper supreme. Purple Watchmaker of Light. Master class Thinkamancer. Infected with Rash Plague. 21st century's Charlmagne.
    Erudite Dudebro. King in Yellow. Level 20 Omnistalt everything. Prince of Void. 'The Fox'. Perched upon the very crucifex of Oblivion.
    Anxioused Aghast. Multipurpose Master at arms. Not a Vampire. Disaster Master: Shademaster. 10/10 on Auto. Punchbeef. Here comes a beautiful boy.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

The thing is that that character came into a campaign that had been running for maybe a year and a half or two, characters, motivations, etc. were all established when he came in, and the reason he did that was and pretty much "fur the lulz", which again can work in certain situations. Frankly I think the only reason said character was even allowed into the game was because the player was the younger brother-in-law of the DM's son.
    That seems rather rough. Sometimes players just don't mesh with a game, I suppose!

hey I was born in the 90s! They were defintely radical. though I agree, such a character would only e good in a humorous one-shot or something. But in that one shot it would probably be hilarious.

And Superdark, most people start out with cringingly bad cardboard characters. Take it as a sign that you've improved!

So, what are you all going to do now IC? And how's everyone's weekend looking? Mine will be full of biking and beaches and kayaking and swimming if it stays nice and hot!
    IC Natasha's just going to sit around the temple until noon.

My weekend looks interesting- visiting grandparents and such!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

This is a really good moment for Badger and Sora. Now if they were both gay, this would be followed up by a mandatory sexy scene.

Just kidding. Mostly...

26. - Top - End - #26

My weekend was pretty great; I was out and about doing stuff the entire time. And I rode my bike all the way to Montauk lighthouse! Sorry I didn't post OOC until just now. I definitely have some thoughts tomorrow when I'm less tired.

This is a really good moment for Badger and Sora. Now if they were both gay, this would be followed up by a mandatory sexy scene.

Just kidding. Mostly...
    I think that's against forum rules. Fanservice aside, I definitely like this interaction and don't want to spoil it, so see you all tomorrow morning. Goodnight everyone!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I think that's against forum rules. Fanservice aside, I definitely like this interaction and don't want to spoil it, so see you all tomorrow morning. Goodnight everyone!
    Not a fade out shot. But yeah, I'm kidding.

28. - Top - End - #28

Well I don't really have anything more to post on that.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Daawwwwwww

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Well I don't really have anything more to post on that.
    Give it a moment. And then break off and decide what to do? Or Natasha can even come in at that moment.