New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Titansgrave It HAS BEGUN!

So yesterday the first two episodes of this series was released.

The first Episode 0 deals with an introduction to the series, the rpg it uses and the setting along character intro and so on.

Haven't yet watched Episode 1 but episode 0 was interesting!

It can be found on the Geek & Sundry site with new episodes every Tuesday with it eventually being put up on you tube by Friday after its shown on their site.

Wanted to see if there's any reaction to it but will post a link later unless someone beats me to it in the meantime!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Titansgrave It HAS BEGUN!

I liked it a lot. I want to see if I can somehow use uncle beer or battle of the boasts in the campaign now. Might have to wait for a future campaign.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Geek & Sundry

Hope the link works!

Please remember to check out Episode 0 first you Wil be reminded but there is actually some interesting stuff to listen to before commencing right to Episode 1!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Episode 2 is out should be on You tube sometime tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Episode 3 is out and should be available on you tube this Friday.

I just watched this and its feels like they've just switched to Shadowrun!

Go take a look for yourself!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Episode 4 is out on Geek & Sundry and should be available on you tube this Friday.

The group pulls a trip through the Sewers of Waterdeep except it isn't quite that nice!

Listen in as rats get a makeover and ratmen become decidedly better mannered!

Oh and a shocking revelation near the end... watch and find out what for yourselves!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am love, love, loving this show!

Not my usual cup of tea when it comes to genre, but I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I would love to be able to play in a game that has that level of production value - not just custom character portraits, but ones for different scenes and occassionally animated motion-comic-style. Music and voiceover effects. Really awesome stuff.

The girls both seem to knock their rolls outta the park on a consistent basis, but poor S'lethkk (sp?) just cannot catch a freaking break!

I like some of the features of this system too, like spending the Stunt Points to add flare and epicness to normal actions.

Anywho... can't wait for more. I hope that it does well so that they will continue to produce it for more seasons.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Episode 6 is out!

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Voss is trying to free the Prophet.

The staff revealed certain secrets which bear rewatching!

Lemley was kidnapped as a baby meaning her folks may not be dead and evidence suggests she's actually related to Amun Reed explaining why she's carrying that locket.

Slethk relives the time he was stranded inside that temple and witnesses the entity responsible for his ability to cast magic...

Kiliel witnesses her birth and discovers her dwarven father was watching the birth from outside but alarmingly he has no face!

Ananki relives the crash that effectively ended her father's life and seems to suggest he deliberately stepped in the way of the vehicle because of some secret he carries.

So what to make of all this?

Spoiler
    Show
    Lemley was kidnapped, Kiliel might have been the child of a union between an unknown entity, Slethk's sponsor is distinctly dark maybe he's actually a descendant of the prophet?

Ananki might actually be another descendant, but why is Reed's descendants supposed to be an very evil branch of humanity?

Could there be another reason for this?

I think they're being set up to release the Prophet but what if by doing so she's forced to pull in all the power she's been expending to restart the conflict?

I think Voss is the main bad guy or perhaps whoever is posing as Voss is the bad guy after all we already know that Kiliel's father might be a shapechanger so what if they complete the task and discover Voss has been dead all this time?

Much to consider and yes the Shadowrun vibe is growing stronger!

Now onwards to five gold and a party!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Episode 7 has also landed and was rather good... and we've only got a few more episodes to go.

Damn, I am going to miss this when it's finished....
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well in a couple of weeks or so Gencon will herald the release of the PDF so you can read what they had planned but not revealed... maybe even hints of a second season, maybe?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Anyone else convinced that Voss is up to no good? I'm not sure what the deal with the Prophet is yet, but I'm firmly convinced Voss's goal isn't "save the world" or even "make buckets of money doing something that also happens to save the world". Basically, I think Voss is either the BBEG or is trying to unleash the BBEG.

Basically, I find it WAAAAAY to much of a coincidence that, almost as soon as they set foot in Nestora, they get framed for terrorism and then are immediately offered a job by the one guy with enough clout to make it all go away.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

So, Season Two was announced at GenCon and the book is out. That means the Voss question can be answered... but I don't want to skip to the end! :)
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Ditto just want to find out how they handle this!

I'm hoping Wil throws a few curveballs to keep even those of us who read ahead (or glanced ahead like me!) guessing!

I heard today Jar Jar wasn't originally intended as comic relief, I have to say Runcible came across better!

14. - Top - End - #14

Wow, this week's episode was... intense.

I'm not sure that a fair portion of the dream sequence stuff made a whole lot of sense, at least in its "obvious" symbolism. However, it was successful at drawing out emotion. I really enjoyed that, and might have to try something like that in my next campaign.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

For no dice being rolled, that was a tense session.

Also, I picked up the book at GenCon. Really enjoying it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmas View Post
    Wow, this week's episode was... intense.

I'm not sure that a fair portion of the dream sequence stuff made a whole lot of sense, at least in its "obvious" symbolism. However, it was successful at drawing out emotion. I really enjoyed that, and might have to try something like that in my next campaign.
    For your players' sake, try to make it a lot shorter.

17. - Top - End - #17

Yes, I had already decided that. Ten minutes of reading what is largely nonsensical imagery per player is a little much, in my opinion.

And I had heard that they put out a book. Is it just a setting and rules system type of thing? A novel?
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

It's an adventure for Fantasy Age.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erasmas View Post
    Yes, I had already decided that. Ten minutes of reading what is largely nonsensical imagery per player is a little much, in my opinion.

And I had heard that they put out a book. Is it just a setting and rules system type of thing? A novel?
    It's a setting supplement and adventure for Fantasy Age. FA is the generic version they used for the Dragon Age RPG.

20. - Top - End - #20

Yes, I remembered that is was based on that system.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

If your players go as far as giving you the plot hooks necessary to pull off what episode 9 did all the best to you!

But for everyone else I'd suggest just running a sequence where they encounter each other and you give them the chance to link up eventually pulling themselves through by virtue of their relationship with each other.

Literally restoring order in the chaos their trip through the portal inflicts upon them.

Still have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that episode, gave me more questions than answers but barring Lemley's nightmare it was pretty thorough!

22. - Top - End - #22

I have loved the series (enough to watch most parts twice), but I found the dream sequence really... Bad. Maybe it is just because the episodic order, and in a session lengthy individual cutscenes would play out better but even so the randomness of the "enter door, trip balls" is off putting.

I liked the Lemley sequence but the rest I sort of just sat through. Then again, Wil Wheaton is not as good of a traditional DM as Matt Mercer. I know rules light gets a bad rap for the GM overtaking the spotlight from the players, but this was an extreme.
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

23. - Top - End - #23
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

From a strictly narrative standpoint, I liked the... dreams? visions? whatever they were. Granted, I think Lemley's was the most emotionally compelling, but I did enjoy the others, and I think Aankia's wins the prize for being the most surreal and actually dreamlike, in that the symbolism was ambiguous and not quite as readily explained as, say Kiliel's.

Still, it was an strange shift in that I felt like Wil took too much control away from the players. Not that they seemed to mind, and it was a good yarn, so I suppose all's well that ends well. I guess what felt odd was to have Wil telling the characters how they felt and even what they did, except for the one or two moments when he gave them a very strictly defined choice (eg "Which door do you go through?" or "Which parental figure do you choose?"). It's sort of like one of those moments where you're playing a video game and you find yourself saying "I really wish they'd implemented the option to attempt C instead of just A or B, except, because you have a live DM, part of the point is having someone who can adapt to whatever choice you end up making.

Just to give an example....
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... when dream!Voss was holding a gun to Aankia's father and younger self, I would have expected her to refuse to choose and instead attempt to attack Voss (which, given that this was some kind of dream/vision could have gone in all sorts of interesting directions). Kinda disappointed that Wil's setup seemed to actively discourage that kind of thinking.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Episode 9 was difficult to sit through for me also. It reminded me of the bad old days of the great lashings of boxed text, such as in the execrable T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil.

However, I'm giving Wil, in a sense, the benefit-of-the-doubt. I assume there will be some sort of pay-off for that episode in the next (and final?) episode and possibly into Season 2.

But, even if there isn't, as DMs/GMs we do tend to take risks in certain sessions and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It will be interesting to see in this week's episode which it is! :)
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

25. - Top - End - #25

Episode 10 has proven there is not much of a payoff. They fight and the season ends on a cliff hanger.

I'm not sure if they plan on waiting a full year or not, but that was not the way to go out really. I wish there was at least a little player agency in the first season instead of a long railroad.
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by hiiamtom View Post
    Episode 10 has proven there is not much of a payoff. They fight and the season ends on a cliff hanger.

I'm not sure if they plan on waiting a full year or not, but that was not the way to go out really. I wish there was at least a little player agency in the first season instead of a long railroad.
    Well, that is disappointing.

And, yes, here's to player agency in season two! :)
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom