New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Art for Mecha Ace let's play

So, I'm running a let's play for an anime-style game -- fighting robots, laser swords, etc.

Here is one example post .

As you can see, there are a number of Mecha described here, as well as some people. For the moment, we have our female main character, and Ensign Faroun Asadi [male] described as

"a black-haired, hungry-looking young man with aristocratic features and skin the color of milk tea, the smile made up of equal parts approval and admiration: Ensign Feridoun Asadi, your wingman. Possessed of undoubted talent, healthy aggression, and a killer instinct, Asadi is a highly valued asset. "

... anyway, if anybody was interested in making up some illustrations of the various mecha (The Picton, Uxbridge, Manningham, Fantin, and Vallier) or the characters. I'd be more than happy to stick them in-thread with proper attribution. If you wish, I can also notify the author, who might have use for fan artwork.

Top page is here .

Feel free to ask questions and I'll pass 'em back to the author.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Art for Mecha Ace let's play

Heroine character could not be found.

However it was made the sketch of Feridoun Asadi.

"a black-haired, hungry-looking young man with aristocratic features and skin the color of milk tea, the smile made up of equal parts approval and admiration: Ensign Feridoun Asadi, your wingman. Possessed of undoubted talent, healthy aggression, and a killer instinct, Asadi is a highly valued asset. "
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

This sounds interesting, but a few questions need answering before much art can be done.

1) Are you planning on doing a "what's our protagonist look like?" vote or some such? With just "Heroine" as a starting point, it lacks a certain amount of inspiration.

2) What... is the scale of the mecha? The Chain knife is the only thing I see with dimensions, given the proportions of a "knife" vs the wielder, assuming the 3 meter version is a tanto and the 6 meter version is a kodachi, I'm getting a rough mental image of these suits being 18~20 meters tall.

3) Any favored art styles for the mecha? I'm rather fond of Steel Battalion and such, but the cover art for the game looks like it leans more towards Gundam.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Kasanip: Awesome! I'll add it to the gallery.

Norren:

1) That's going to be defined as time goes on. The character isn't fully defined yet.

2) Scale -- the mecha are roughly the size of a modern fighter craft, so that would be -- 64 feet / 19 meters high. If a human were to stand next to the mecha, s/he would come up to about the knee and would be about as wide as a thruster 'foot'.

Assume the 'blade' would be in the style of and roughly the length of a katana (in this kind of anime, what would you expect? :) ) So -- if a Katana is about 3 feet long , about half the length of a human, then to achieve the same proportion a plasma cutter would have about a 9 meter long 'blade'. A chain knife, having about the proportion of a hunting or survival knife , would correspondingly be about 1/6th the height of the mecha -- about 2 meters long.

3) This is very much a Gundam-style, so Gundam-style art would be best. I'm not picky, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    This sounds interesting, but a few questions need answering before much art can be done.

1) Are you planning on doing a "what's our protagonist look like?" vote or some such? With just "Heroine" as a starting point, it lacks a certain amount of inspiration.

2) What... is the scale of the mecha? The Chain knife is the only thing I see with dimensions, given the proportions of a "knife" vs the wielder, assuming the 3 meter version is a tanto and the 6 meter version is a kodachi, I'm getting a rough mental image of these suits being 18~20 meters tall.

3) Any favored art styles for the mecha? I'm rather fond of Steel Battalion and such, but the cover art for the game looks like it leans more towards Gundam.
    Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2015-06-13 at 05:27 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Heroine character could not be found.

However it was made the sketch of Feridoun Asadi.

That looks really great kasanip.

Anyway, I don't mind drawing other npcs when they appear, I've been looking forward to it in fact. But I don't think I can draw the mechs though, mech design is one of my weaker spot.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

well, no new characters but one ship and two new mecha. The ship, in particular, has detailed dimensions, armament, crew size, and so forth.

SHIP UPDATE: CWS CALIBURN CV-63
    Spoiler
    Show

CODEC Carrer
    Dimensions: 685x245x211 meters
    Crew Complement: 645 (minimum) 4500 (full)
    Armament: 64x Class III ACSM Tubes, 24x37mm Point Defense Autocannon, 6x Combat Armatures

During the early days of the war, it became very clear that CODEC desperately needed a class of heavy combat armature carriers built for war. While converted freighters and starlines were capable of carrying and launching mecha, they possessed neither speed nor durability nor effective armament. This made them serious combat liabilities.

As a result, the CODEC Defence committee commissioned a series of new carrier designs. The most ambitious was that submitted by the Tercao Yards of New Lisbon in the beginning of the second year of the war: The CALIBURN. Though unable to carry more than one lance of combat armatures, the new carrier was equipped with a respectable point defense system and a battery of anti-ship missile tubes.

More importantly, the CALIBURN was outfitted with a powerful military-grade drive, allowing it to keep pace with even the fastest elements of CODEC's ramshackle fleet. Despite the oubvious advantages, the CALIBURN was also a notorious resource-sink, coming in 215% over budget and 14 months over schedule, temporarily scrapping to build any additional ships of this class.

However, when the CALIBURN was commissioned and deployed to the Vedria system in 418 SE, the new design proved remarkably effective. Therefore, the Defence Committee is once again considering the construction of three additional vessels of this class: The CURTANA, the NAEGLING, and the CALADBOLG.

Also two new combat armatures. Regrettably, there is even less information available about these than the previous ones. The seem to be like the UXBRIDGE and the MANNINGHAM, only improved.

CA-108 GRENZER Advanced Long-Range Combat Armature
    Spoiler
    Show

Manufacturer: Brunswick Interstellar
    Armament: Particle Rifle (Type I), Chainknife

A further evolution of the CA-95 Manningham, the CA-108 Grenzer is the first CoDEC combat armature designed for warfare from top to bottom. Armed with the same powerful long range particle rifle which equipped the Manningham, the Grenzer's upgraded reactor also allows it to carry additional armour.

CA-109 REITER Advanced Close Combat Combat Armature
    Spoiler
    Show

Manufacturer: Brunswick Interstellar
    Armament: Plasma Cutter, Autocannon

The close combat version of the CA-108 Grenzer, the CA-109 Reiter boasts an updated suite of vernier thrusters and a weapons outfit more suited for close range combat. In addition, the Reiter's upgraded reactor has allowed it to carry heavier armour over vital areas such as the cockpit, improving the survivability of both pilot and machine.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, we have an adversary pilot, probably our archrival. Can anyone draw him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha Ace
    A comm window blinks open on your main display. You find yourself face-to-face with a pale-faced man in an Imperial officer's pilot suit, perhaps in his late twenties. His features are gentle, perhaps even cherubic, despite his earnest expression. A sky-blue mask, fashioned to look like a knight's visor, covers the top of his face from his upturned nose to his mop of unruly golden-blond hair.
    This is Camille Hawkins, Commandant, Imperial Navy.

Suggest the pilot should be somewhat androgynous, as the player may choose CMDT Hawkins to be male or female.

Some "action" description of the Commandant in battle :

Their attacker—and there is only one—is too fast for them to catch. Lances of pale-blue fire pierce the dark heavens, but the Imperial mecha among them evades them all with a speed and grace that even your veteran skills would be hard-pressed to match. The enemy machine moves so swiftly that it barely appears as a blur of fire and metal on your display, twirling through your distant allies, monosaber shimmering in the sunlight.
    Does anyone want to take a stab at this?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd like to draw Hawkins, but I forgot, would we get a better description of him/her later? 'Cause if we do, I'd like to wait until then.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Honestly? I don't know. I suspect there will be more detail forth coming but for the most part what we'll see of him is the masque. I suspect this would be a good starting point.

New Character: Ichiro Watanabe

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha Ace
    a slim, short young man in what appears to be the short jacket and slacks of some kind of private school uniform. His black hair is cut short and his features still retain the slight softness of an adolescent barely a half-step short of adulthood.

"This is Acting-Ensign Ichiro Watanabe, a volunteer from planetside. He'll be coordinating your unit from the Caliburn."
    As a bridge controller, if there are any robotech fans here, he will be the Lisa Hayes equivalent, the "face" of the ship to its deployed fighters.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Honestly? I don't know. I suspect there will be more detail forth coming but for the most part what we'll see of him is the masque. I suspect this would be a good starting point.
    I interpreted him as looking like "every anime Kamyu/Camus ever, just with messy hair."

@Fri: My rough of Camille is off to a good start, but stuff came up and I haven't gotten back to it yet. If you want to draw him, be my guest.
    My Homebrew
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

11. - Top - End - #11

Huh? Fanart isn't exclusive? If you want to draw blue masque, sure why not? I'll draw him too, and if someone else want to draw him too another time they can too?

Or is there a ruling that one character can only get one fanart, pendel?

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Huh? Fanart isn't exclusive? If you want to draw blue masque, sure why not? I'll draw him too, and if someone else want to draw him too another time they can too?

I haven't seen anything about a limit, but I just don't like stepping on people's toes and I'm pretty bad about doing it accidentally, so I get self conscious about it at times, don't mind me.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post

There is no rule that one character can have only one fanart. I think the more fanarts, the more interpretations, of the same character, the better.

Respectfully,

Brian P.