New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Jurassic World: So, Apparently, It's Good

Currently sitting at a nice 71% freshness at Rotten Tomatoes, right between the original and The Lost World.

Given what I know of the film before seeing it, though:

Spoiler: On Villains
    Show
    It was probably smart to keep ye old I. rex the villain instead of her indirect creator, because Hoskins...

This is the best image of his last ever CAT scan I could find.

Thankfully he's called out as stupid in the film, too.
    Last edited by Leliel; 2015-06-12 at 11:15 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Jurassic World: So, Apparently, It's Good

Its really good. Its a fantastic blend of hommage to the original, while being its own thing by expanding concepts to a certain.. natural development, human-wise.

I mean, i can see a Dinosaure Theme Park making up specie to keep interest. I can see them trying to see if you can train raptors.

The movie was filled with easter eggs regarding the old movies, yet entertaining in its own damn right. I had a blast, and want to see it again.

3. - Top - End - #3

Yup, I loved it. Ties the original in and has epic fight scenes.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

While I've seen better movies, the number of movies where I've had that much fun, and was grinning that hard, were few.

The callbacks to the first actually didn't feel forced for the most part. They fit in the movie, with added benefit of "hey, remember this bit?"

It helps that I've had a soft spot for Mosasaurs for 25-30 years or so. Loved the shark scene. (And I'll give them a pass on making their dinosaurs bigger, that dates back to the raptors).

If they had Coelophysis as well it'd have made this New Mexican's year. 2 fond memories of the Albuquerque Natural History Museum.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Make no mistake, I will watch this, but I am nowhere near as hyped for this as for Mad Max: Fury Road*. In my mind, I guess, I kind of assume this will be compared to the original as Episode I to Episode IV, if you know what I mean. In other words it's a "Must See because it's a Jurassic Park Movie" not a "OMFGTHATLOOKSAWESOME".

*That still holds 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, btw
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I was planning to see it, and I'm glad it's enjoyable. Tnx guys!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I saw Jurassic World and loved it. It was really well done and had the perfect mix of story and dinosaur action. It was cool, contained all the elements that you would want it to have and even had a few laughs to break the tension at times.

It is not a 5 star movie but is thoroughly enjoyable and I would recommend it.

Spoiler Alert
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scene where you first see the indomitus Rex was done really well. It was creepy and you could feel the predatory nature of the dinosaur. I liked that it was a chameleon and no-one seemed to really know it except for the scientists who created it. The owner of jurassic world even commented "its white" not expecting it to be. The fact that you could just see its mass moving through the foliage.

Chriss Pratt was cool and I liked that he was ex navy, it gave him an edge in dealing with the animals. Him controlling the raptors also worked much more than he seemed to in the trailer. Ie it wasnt as over the top. He didnt have total control and they were actually really dangerous. The indomitus rex being part raptor worked out quite well as well. There was a big worry that the indomitus rex was psychic but its not. Its just part raptor hence why it can communicate.

I particularly liked the scene where the indomitus rex was camo'd and the Animal control team were ambushed. It was really aggressive and brutal. I love seeing the humans getting killed. So while the original movie was awesome it didnt contain as much dino on human action
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it doesn't have the suspense of the first movie, but it's most definitely the second best entry in the franchise. The action was fun, and I'll agree that the introduction to the Indominus was done in the best Jurassic Park tradition.

Spoiler
    Show
    I did wonder why the hell all the pterosaurs went straight to assault all the humans. Like, all species flew together in a straight line for the visitor center instead of scattering in flocks or anything. And a couple of those species were insectivores and brittle enough for an adult man to break in half - it seemed like a really bad feeding deal for the pterosaurs when there should be plenty of other options less risky for them. Maybe the Jurassic World pterosaurs, like crows, are smart enough to hold a grudge at the humans and went at it purely out of spite.

I did like that the kids were surprisingly resourceful without kicking around dinosaurs or anything.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2015-06-14 at 04:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't have the suspense of the first movie, but it's most definitely the second best entry in the franchise. The action was fun, and I'll agree that the introduction to the Indominus was done in the best Jurassic Park tradition.

Spoiler
    Show
    I did wonder why the hell all the pterosaurs went straight to assault all the humans. Like, all species flew together in a straight line for the visitor center instead of scattering in flocks or anything. And a couple of those species were insectivores and brittle enough for an adult man to break in half - it seemed like a really bad feeding deal for the pterosaurs when there should be plenty of other options less risky for them. Maybe the Jurassic World pterosaurs, like crows, are smart enough to hold a grudge at the humans and went at it purely out of spite.

I did like that the kids were surprisingly resourceful without kicking around dinosaurs or anything.
    Spoiler: Om nom nom
    Show
    I remember a similar issue with the Lost World.

"they're on an island, and eat fish, why are they attacking the people?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Spoiler: Om nom nom
    Show
    I remember a similar issue with the Lost World.

"they're on an island, and eat fish, why are they attacking the people?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, in the book they do mention that there was an unforeseen problem with the dactyls. Namely, that while they ate fish, they were massively territorial and considered humans a threat, so they kept attacking any worker that went into their aviary. But that only applied in their area - the pterodactyls attack Grant and the kids while they're going through their preserve, but leave them alone after they leave. Here they just beelined all together for the big human center, though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I'm regretting not seeing Mad Max in the theater.

In the considered opinion of the forum, will I regret it if I don't make the time to go see this in the theater, too?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

See it big screen, the bigger the better, 3D if you can. Why? It is not a great movie, it is barely good. It is, however, very fun (just don't ask why about anything in the story) and rather spectacular. Bigger and louder really helps this movie. It has flaws that experience of a theatre can really help with.

I'd still recommend it as it is fun as a triceratops ride

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, in the book they do mention that there was an unforeseen problem with the dactyls. Namely, that while they ate fish, they were massively territorial and considered humans a threat, so they kept attacking any worker that went into their aviary. But that only applied in their area - the pterodactyls attack Grant and the kids while they're going through their preserve, but leave them alone after they leave. Here they just beelined all together for the big human center, though.
    Spoiler: Range
    Show

Of course, they might well have been rounded up about ten years ago after about ten years of free reign on the island. Perhaps the grudge thing is at play?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

About the pterosaurs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah them going and attacking a group of thousands of humans is just massively unrealistic. That was the only real part that was really dumb. No animal is going to go attack a huge swarm of other animals that are roughly the same size as you are (or bigger in many cases).

It also seems that along with all the other DNA and stuff they spliced in some GPS tracking devices into that I. Rex that let it track down plot relevant characters and always be where they were.

Though even with that and some other nitpicks it was a very entertaining movie. Nothing spectacular plot wise or even acting wise, but just overall enjoyable.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It was enjoyable even as someone who wasn't really a fan of the first one. It has a lot of really dumb moments, but it moves fast enough that you can ignore them and just enjoy the ride.

Spoiler
    Show
    Entering the I Rex's cage though? That's #140 on the Evil Overlord List for crying out loud! You do not go into the prisoner's cell just because he doesn't seem to be in there anymore! And going in there just to touch some claw marks? Really?

Not to mention the lack of any defense in depth against dinosaur escapes ('He's out of this one cage! He could be anywhere!'...why is this the only wall? Where are the security cameras watching the walls so you could check the footage? Why is the thermal signature not being constantly tracked with an alert set if it's lost? Why was the wall between the restricted northern area and the guest areas so terrible? That wall should have been stronger than any single wall on the northern side. You don't build a really powerful front line of defense and back it up with a sign saying 'keep out'...

So many dumb moments in that one scene. Feels like the writers wrote themselves into a corner with needing to show the Jurassic World crew were good at their jobs of keeping the animals safely away from people and needing to have the I. Rex escape. In any reasonable world the precautions would have been enough to keep it from escaping, but that's the plot for you.

Also...why did one random security guard have the password to open the cage and let the most dangerous creature on the island roam free? Seems like the sort of thing you'd want to keep at a higher level to me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Jurassic World is merely the latest in a list of movies that I had low expectations of, yet still wanted to see anyway. Some due to bad trailers, some due to being burned by previous installments.

I'm not sure which 'return to the series' sequel I like better, Mad Max: Fury Road, or Jurassic World.
    Last edited by Logic; 2015-06-15 at 02:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

17. - Top - End - #17

I know which Classic 80s Crossover i want.

"Beastmaster goes to Jurassic World"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    It was enjoyable even as someone who wasn't really a fan of the first one. It has a lot of really dumb moments, but it moves fast enough that you can ignore them and just enjoy the ride.

Spoiler
    Show
    Entering the I Rex's cage though? That's #140 on the Evil Overlord List for crying out loud! You do not go into the prisoner's cell just because he doesn't seem to be in there anymore! And going in there just to touch some claw marks? Really?

Not to mention the lack of any defense in depth against dinosaur escapes ('He's out of this one cage! He could be anywhere!'...why is this the only wall? Where are the security cameras watching the walls so you could check the footage? Why is the thermal signature not being constantly tracked with an alert set if it's lost? Why was the wall between the restricted northern area and the guest areas so terrible? That wall should have been stronger than any single wall on the northern side. You don't build a really powerful front line of defense and back it up with a sign saying 'keep out'...

So many dumb moments in that one scene. Feels like the writers wrote themselves into a corner with needing to show the Jurassic World crew were good at their jobs of keeping the animals safely away from people and needing to have the I. Rex escape. In any reasonable world the precautions would have been enough to keep it from escaping, but that's the plot for you.

Also...why did one random security guard have the password to open the cage and let the most dangerous creature on the island roam free? Seems like the sort of thing you'd want to keep at a higher level to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, i think you are giving the dinosaurs too much credit. A dinosaur may be more deadly than a typical animal but they are STILL animals. They don't typically have the intelligence and drive to do anything that doesn't have to do with their natural instincts. Any enclosure that works for animals should work on dinosaurs aswell; you just need to make the enclosures bigger and stronger. Like the walls/fences. If they are strong enough to keep the animal out, the animal isn't normally gonna just keep pounding on it to break through it; They'll just go somewhere else. Why would they pound on that wall when everything they could want is on the side of the wall they are already on? I mean, lions and tigers will attack a human that enters its cage, but if they don't the predators will just wonder around their enclosure, even when their are tasty humans right outside their cage. They won't plot and scheme and try hard to break out; only way they are gonna leave is if someone opens the door for them or leaves it unlocked. Not to mention that even if they did get out, they are only gonna eat till their full and/or when threatened; they won't go all monster movie on people (which is why all the flying dinosaurs going straight for all the people felt silly and contrived). Heck even in the first movie the only reason the park fell into disaster was because someone went and turned the security off, which effectively freed the animals, rather than them escaping by pure accident

With I-Rex, the main flaw there was that they treated it like a normal animal when it was MUCH smarter. They had no reason to think it could climb out of the cage (which it couldn't), they didn't know it could camoflauge, was smart enough to stay silent, or could hide from heat sensors. If I-rex was only as smart as a typical animal, that enclosure should have been more than enough to hold it. That's the whole point really; I-rex was a monster that was far smarter and more capable than they ever imagined it would be... i mean you criticize them for going into the cage by why should they ever think that I-rex was capable of hiding from all forms of detection, much less being smart enough that it could set a trap for humans that involves them using deductive reasoning? Why should they think it was smart enough to think "If i put claw marks here, and hide myself, they'll think i escaped and come inside?", no animal aside from a human is THAT smart.

When it comes down to it, the security they had was enough to keep the park running without a major incident for years. The wild card was the I-Rex which was much more than even the scientists ever thought it would be.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2015-06-16 at 05:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, i think you are giving the dinosaurs too much credit. A dinosaur may be more deadly than a typical animal but they are STILL animals. They don't typically have the intelligence and drive to do anything that doesn't have to do with their natural instincts. Any enclosure that works for animals should work on dinosaurs aswell; you just need to make the enclosures bigger and stronger. Like the walls/fences. If they are strong enough to keep the animal out, the animal isn't normally gonna just keep pounding on it to break through it; They'll just go somewhere else. Why would they pound on that wall when everything they could want is on the side of the wall they are already on? Heck even in the first movie the only reason the park fell into disaster was because someone went and turned the security off, which effectively freed the animals, rather than them escaping by pure accident

With I-Rex, the main flaw there was that they treated it like a normal animal when it was MUCH smarter. They had no reason to think it could climb out of the cage (which it couldn't), they didn't know it could camoflauge, was smart enough to stay silent, or could hide from heat sensors. If I-rex was only as smart as a typical animal, that enclosure should have been more than enough to hold it. That's the whole point really; I-rex was a monster that was far smarter and more capable than they ever imagined it would be... i mean you criticize them for going into the cage by why should they ever think that I-rex was capable of hiding from all forms of detection, much less being smart enough that it could set a trap for humans that involves them using deductive reasoning? Why should they think it was smart enough to think "If i put claw marks here, and hide myself, they'll think i escaped and come inside?", no animal aside from a human is THAT smart.

When it comes down to it, the security they had was enough to keep the park running without a major incident for years. The wild card was the I-Rex which was much more than even the scientists ever thought it would be.

Spoiler: I agree with everything you said except
    Show

That the scientist knew what the I-rex was capable off, it is heavily implied that it was designed from scratch as a super-weapon for InGen. I'm not sure where I read it, but it was theorised that Hoskins orchestrated the I-rex escape in order to test the Raptors, if they managed to kill the I-Rex, then he could sell the raptors, but if they failed then he could sell the Indominus template (which we see in the scene just prior to Hoskins' death).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Spoiler: I agree with everything you said except
    Show

That the scientist knew what the I-rex was capable off, it is heavily implied that it was designed from scratch as a super-weapon for InGen. I'm not sure where I read it, but it was theorised that Hoskins orchestrated the I-rex escape in order to test the Raptors, if they managed to kill the I-Rex, then he could sell the raptors, but if they failed then he could sell the Indominus template (which we see in the scene just prior to Hoskins' death).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Y'know i'm rather unclear on how much of the escape was planned and how much the scientist knew about what I-rex is capable of. I mean, as far as i can tell I-rex escaped all on its own... though i guess hoskins might have been plotting to somehow let the thing loose anyway. And While the scientist was clearly in on their scheme to use dinosaurs as weapons, i'm not sure if he factored in EVERYTHING it would be capable of. It was a bit unclear how much they knew... Though if the scientist did know, then the idiot ball is on him, and no one else since he clearly did NOT tell anyone else what the thing was capable of (granted if escape was intended, then all the more reason why he would make sure the cage wasn't secure enough by denying them info)

Though mentioning it now, i DID think the whole idea to use dinosaurs for the military was really stupid and the movie could have done well enough without it; a dinosaur escape would have been good enough for a movie. Really, dinosaur's may be deadly, but the military wants something that is both deadly AND reliable. Really stupid plan.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2015-06-16 at 06:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler
    Show
    Militarized Dinosaures makes for a good sequel hook, as well as explains lots of plot holes..

Also, theres too much stock put into Dr Wu's actual knowledge of the I. Rex's capabilities. He just threw the genetic dice to make them morw intelligent, there was no way for him to know the actual extent of the animal's applicable intelligence. Thatd require an animal expert more than a freakkin' geneticist.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

My thoughts on this as a paleontologist (reposted from a different forum):

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first:

Why didn't they check the Indominus's transmitter _before_ sending people into its pen? That would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Also, something that dangerous and they can't be bothered to put a gate that can close quickly on its pen? Serious design oversight.

No mosasaur that big has ever been found; the largest topped out around 18 meters.

I still would have preferred properly feathered dinosaurs.

How would an animal that was raised in isolation know how to communicate with other dinosaurs, and if it was so antisocial as to kill its own sibling, why would it bother instead of just killing them?

For that matter, why would a group of raptors that were imprinted on humans switch sides after being roared at by an unfamiliar yet threatening dinosaur? And if they were just too scared to fight it, why would they obey it instead of just running away?

Pteranodon was not really strong enough to lift an adult human, and its feet are not built for grasping. For that matter, why pterosaurs would automatically attack people on sight is a mystery.

Extremely minor nitpick: There are no known ankylosaurs that have both a tail club and lateral spines.

Good stuff:

Loved having the T. rex regain its badassery after the third film. I especially liked its symbolically destroying the Spinosaurus skeleton.

One of my university's specialties when it came to fossils was mosasaurs, and I've always found them to be really neat. They've always been unfairly overshadowed by pliosaurs like Liopleurodon when a threatening marine reptile was called for. Jurassic World gave them some much-needed publicity for once. I'm sure my old school will be proud to say they have the animal that killed the Indominus on display in their museum.

I found the concept of trained raptors as shown to be believable. Using the closest modern equivalent, it is certainly possible to train predatory birds, but only if you really know the specific bird well and have invested a lot of time into getting to know it.

While I still don't like the lack of feathers, I do at least appreciate that there was an in-universe explanation for it.

Most of the animals shown (with the exceptions mentioned above) were very accurate to their real-world counterparts.

Overall, Jurassic World is definitely better than Jurassic Park 3 by a long way, but I still think the first two were better.
    Last edited by Dire Moose; 2015-06-16 at 10:32 PM.
    LGBTitp

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post

No mosasaur that big has ever been found; the largest topped out around 18 meters.
    Which is roughly how big that thing is supposed to be - 60 ft or just a fraction over 18m:

http://jurassiraptor.tumblr.com/post...orlds-mosasaur

It wouldn't be a huge jump. I seem to recall reading that the T. rex prop in the first movie was a little bigger than "Sue" (50-odd ft long to Sue's 43 ft).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2015-06-17 at 01:21 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I still would have preferred properly feathered dinosaurs.
    I have three things to say about this:
    1. Continuity: None of the dinosaurs were feathered in previous installments.
    2. Meddling: None of these creatures are "pure" dinosaurs, as they had frog DNA spliced in.
    3. Humor: Warning! NSFW: LANGUAGE
    Last edited by Logic; 2015-06-17 at 10:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Loved having the T. rex regain its badassery after the third film. I especially liked its symbolically destroying the Spinosaurus skeleton.

I found the concept of trained raptors as shown to be believable. Using the closest modern equivalent, it is certainly possible to train predatory birds, but only if you really know the specific bird well and have invested a lot of time into getting to know it.
    Spoiler: Response to a couple of your points
    Show

To the first point, that was actually the skeleton from the end of the first movie that Dr. Grant, Ellie, and the kids were hanging onto during the final raptor attack Spinosaurus was on a different island, Isla Sorna (Lost World and JP III took place there, JP and JW took place on Isla Nublar).

Absolutely. My spouse has experience with raptor training and handling, so I've seen it up close. No reason it couldn't be done with dinosaurs like JP's velociraptors (best to just pretend they say that because Deinonychus would be too hard for kids to say).
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I have three things to say about this:
    1. Continuity: None of the dinosaurs were feathered in previous installments.
    2. Meddling: None of these creatures are "pure" dinosaurs, as they had frog DNA spliced in.
    3. Humor: Warning! NSFW: LANGUAGE
    It's been a long time since I watched it, but weren't there some feathered dinosaurs in the third movie? I could swear I remember some raptors (or something) with a few feathers on their heads.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    It's been a long time since I watched it, but weren't there some feathered dinosaurs in the third movie? I could swear I remember some raptors (or something) with a few feathers on their heads.
    As a nod to the feathers, some of the raptors who had become male had a very small crest of quills on their heads.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Spoiler: Response to a couple of your points
    Show

To the first point, that was actually the skeleton from the end of the first movie that Dr. Grant, Ellie, and the kids were hanging onto during the final raptor attack Spinosaurus was on a different island, Isla Sorna (Lost World and JP III took place there, JP and JW took place on Isla Nublar).

Absolutely. My spouse has experience with raptor training and handling, so I've seen it up close. No reason it couldn't be done with dinosaurs like JP's velociraptors (best to just pretend they say that because Deinonychus would be too hard for kids to say).
    The "Velociraptors" in Jurassic Park are closer to a Utahraptor (not to be confused with the Mega Raptor) than a Deinonychus. The latter is not as tall as the movie dinosaur while the former is. Velociraptor is just a cooler thing to say than either term.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I honestly cannot recall.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, i think you are giving the dinosaurs too much credit. A dinosaur may be more deadly than a typical animal but they are STILL animals. They don't typically have the intelligence and drive to do anything that doesn't have to do with their natural instincts. Any enclosure that works for animals should work on dinosaurs as well; you just need to make the enclosures bigger and stronger. Like the walls/fences. If they are strong enough to keep the animal out, the animal isn't normally gonna just keep pounding on it to break through it; They'll just go somewhere else. Why would they pound on that wall when everything they could want is on the side of the wall they are already on? I mean, lions and tigers will attack a human that enters its cage, but if they don't the predators will just wonder around their enclosure, even when their are tasty humans right outside their cage. They won't plot and scheme and try hard to break out; only way they are gonna leave is if someone opens the door for them or leaves it unlocked. Not to mention that even if they did get out, they are only gonna eat till their full and/or when threatened; they won't go all monster movie on people (which is why all the flying dinosaurs going straight for all the people felt silly and contrived). Heck even in the first movie the only reason the park fell into disaster was because someone went and turned the security off, which effectively freed the animals, rather than them escaping by pure accident

Spoiler
    Show
    They already had the example of the Raptors from the first park constantly testing the security to realize that some of these animals want to escape above all else. When you're building security for anything, you assume the worst case scenario (this thing wants out).

I'd criticize them for going into the cage even if it wasn't in there. That was a stupid decision and one that should have been vetoed by any sane person the moment it was thought up. If there had been some good reason to do it, maybe. But just to take a closer look at the claw marks? Really? You're betting your life on the thermal sensors for the sake of touching some marks on a wall?

It doesn't matter if the animal was setting a trap, actually had escaped, or the sensors just randomly failed you DO NOT GO INTO THE DINOSAUR CAGE UNTIL YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE IT IS! Rule #1 of keeping something prisoner, do not go into its cage until you know where it is. How many zoo officials go wandering around lion dens scratching their heads and asking themselves where the lion is you think?

I understand it's a movie and the I. Rex had to escape somehow, but that was the dumbest part of the entire movie IMHO.

30. - Top - End - #30

BlackDragon

It is good! It doesn't quite have the sheer charm of the original but it is a lot of fun.

My only real issue was:
    Spoiler
    Show
    the death of Zara (Claire's PA) which felt gratituously cruel for a character who didn't do anything to deserve it - Hoskins had a quicker, less traumatic end! It felt out of place in the movie. No major problems with her being eaten but the way she went was just too nasty.

Mind you I'm a huge fan of the actress so I am biased there.