New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Possible Dirty Tricks

There was that nice little gem about land units being unable to attack air units when they are over water or trees. Dwagons should be much more powerful than most of the flying units that Ansom has, therefore, if there was a way to summon a mass amount of water (not very much, just enough to cover the ground for about an hour with 2 to 3 inches of water) then perhaps Parson could use that to his advantage. Idk if it would work really but its a start. Are there any other cheap RAW (Rules as Written) interpretations of the rules or other dirty tricks that Parson could pull? Discuss...

(Somewhat Tangently as an Example: For anyone who who has played magic the gathering: duel of the planeswalkers the PC game, I mean a trick like this - Library of Leng in play. Disrupting Scepter in play and Darkpact in hand as well as the card you want a duplicate of. By some weird quirk of reality if you use Disrupting Scepter to discard a card with Library of Leng in play (so you know what card is on top. You can darkpact it "across" and when you ante it, you get it back as well as having it return to your deck. Therfore, you can duplicate any card you have once per duel (got a deck of 20x Black Lotus, 20x Ancestral Recall, 15x Berserk, 5x Ball Lightning this way). As you can see, by a simple quirk of the rules a game can be unbalanced quickly in your favor. This is the kind of thing Parson needs, a quirk in the rules. EDIT: That and you can tap most your opponents mana producing stuff (not lands in the updated version) on your or your opponents upkeep phase (one of the intro phases), but thats just mean and not a rules error exactly.)

EDIT: Mountains too! Sizemore is a dirtamancer... make some mountains that aren't very big but this will make it difficult for land units to get to Gobwin Knob and Allow air units to pummelize them. Would also allow landslides to destroy troops. Hmm, not a bad way to go as far as destroying the enemy before they get there. Still not as interesting as a flash flood attack though which could be ridiculously effective. To render the other fliers ineffective, perhaps some wind that is strong enough to blow small stuff away but not terribly affect dwagons. This will stop the doombats, and hamper the gwiffons. The unicorn thingies will be largely unaffected however. Flashflood+Strong Winds=gg
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2007-04-25 at 12:21 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Possible Dirty Tricks

138 views, no comments? Come on ppl, where's the TCO spirit (theoretical character optimization (pun-pun and such))? /bump
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Latest comment said 'sploitable, which I assume is exploitable, so we'll see something soon.

But those are some nice ideas you have. I'll try a few when I get back from school.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    138 views, no comments? Come on ppl, where's the TCO spirit (theoretical character optimization (pun-pun and such))? /bump
    Honestly? I was never very good at discovering exploits in games. I tend to get caught up in imagining the story. So, I subconsciously limit my own exploration of the mechanics to how I think it should work. I have the same problem with testing my own code when I program.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Same problem with me and rules-making. I never even dream it won't work the way I envision it, that someone would even think to corrupt a story-driven masterpiece for the sake of petty gain.
    Thankfully, I have a brutally harsh friend to look them over.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Until we find out what bright idea Parson has, there's not much to go on (and what we do have to go on has been hashed out a bit in other threads).

I'm guessing that the Stupid Meal fact will play into it (for one thing, Parson specifically said in his Klog that it was more useful than anything he'd found in the books).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    You can darkpact it "across" and when you ante it, you get it back as well as having it return to your deck. Therfore, you can duplicate any card you have once per duel
    That sounds strictly like a bug in the PC game, and it's an exploit for sure, but not an exploitable rule. The card goes from your hand, to the top of your library, and then gets swapped for a card in the ante. If you win, you get your card back (just 1); if not, you don't get it back. By the Rules, at no point should it be duplicated (unless there are more rules that apply only in the PC game that you haven't mentioned).

So that's nothing like covering the ground with water to make your aerial units invulnerable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    I'm guessing that the Stupid Meal fact will play into it (for one thing, Parson specifically said in his Klog that it was more useful than anything he'd found in the books).
    He said the Stupid Meal taught him more than the history books, but not necessarily that it was the only fact he learned from that. The Meal had more than just one little tip -- don't forget that the glasses came from it too.

However, I too am hoping that it's not something we couldn't have figured out, but instead something that either we have figured out or we could have figured out from the clues we already have, so we'll either say "TOLD ya!" or "Brilliant; why didn't I think of that?" when it happens.
    Work in progress.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatum479 View Post
    He said the Stupid Meal taught him more than the history books, but not necessarily that it was the only fact he learned from that. The Meal had more than just one little tip -- don't forget that the glasses came from it too.

However, I too am hoping that it's not something we couldn't have figured out, but instead something that either we have figured out or we could have figured out from the clues we already have, so we'll either say "TOLD ya!" or "Brilliant; why didn't I think of that?" when it happens.

I don't think it will be something we can figure out. In the most recent Klog he refers to the recent skirmish (or is it the future skirmish? or the ongoing skirmish? when is the klog supposed to be written?) as the "little battle."

In the comic it's the little battle that seems to be the source of the 'sploitable mechanic, and since we haven't seen the little battle our chances of guessing the exploit would seem to be slim.

What he does say in the klog is: "Ansom's forces split into fliers and no-fliers mostly, but both groups too strong to ambush. He stayed with the bigger one, supposed to be dumber then that. Dwagons,ready to strike, but probably we lost our chance and gave up the prisoner. "

This suggests that it might be a flight related exploit, but the mostly makes it all but impossible to know for sure. (the fact that the angel's fly also points in this direction) It may have something to do with the forces splitting, but we don't know what the effects are of that.

I think its gonna be a matter of waiting.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Scientivore View Post
    Honestly? I was never very good at discovering exploits in games. I tend to get caught up in imagining the story. So, I subconsciously limit my own exploration of the mechanics to how I think it should work. I have the same problem with testing my own code when I program.
    QFT. I have the same problem, if you should so choose to see it in that light.